• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which option do you prefer?

Votes: 68 7.9%

Votes: 63 7.3%

Votes: 110 12.8%

Votes: 418 48.5%

Votes: 203 23.5%

• Total voters

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It makes absolutely no difference to me, but good on the admins for giving the option to the posters. I would've just been a dick and said this is what we're doing and that's that.

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
Good use of vertical space is the most important design aspect in a forum in my opinion, so I don't think adding more spacing is a good solution. Like MilkBeard said, better contrast between boxes like in the unofficial dark theme works really well.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I like the 3rd one the best.
Not really liking how Helvetica looks like really.
Also, one thing you can also modify is the editor font, it's completely different.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I take back my vote for the spacing. Just make the contrast between the posts more stark and we're good.

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
It might not really matter if people are just used to seeing it used as body text, but Helvetica really isn't meant to be used outside of large headlines. The main reason for that is because its apertures (how open a letter is) are really closed. And closed apertures don't lend itself to smaller letters nearly as well as open ones. I'm a fan of Open Sans in general, but if you're not satisfied with it, I'd look for an alternative that still has open apertures.

I made a quick image showing what I'm talking about:
Tz0TroJ.gif

Bumping the point size for Open Sans up to 12 should also help deal with any rendering issues people are having. But, in general, open apertures and a good x-height (how tall a lowercase x is in relationship to the uppercase letters – the lower the contrast is, the more readable the overall type is at small sizes) are good for blocks of text like you'd see in forum posts.

I voted for #2, but it's hard to gauge how things look with such tightly-cropped screenshots.

ZetaEpyon

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the list of those who would prefer better contrast to added spacing between posts. Voted 2, though I think I'd prefer it with slightly more padding inside each post than in that screen.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It might not really matter if people are just used to seeing it used as body text, but Helvetica really isn't meant to be used outside of large headlines. The main reason for that is because its apertures (how open a letter is) are really closed. And closed apertures don't lend itself to smaller letters nearly as well as open ones. I'm a fan of Open Sans in general, but if you're not satisfied with it, I'd look for an alternative that still has open apertures.

Bumping the point size for Open Sans up to 12 should also help deal with any rendering issues people are having. But, in general, open apertures and a good x-height (how tall a lowercase x is in relationship to the uppercase letters – the lower the contrast is, the more readable the overall type is at small sizes) are good for blocks of text like you'd see in forum posts.

I voted for #2, by the way, but it's hard to gauge how things look with such tightly-cropped screenshots.

That was really nerdy. Thank you. Also I agree now that I compare those two fonts more closely.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with keeping Open Sans if the letter spacing and kerning on bold and headline text was a bit tighter. Things are a bit too spaced out right now, like in the thread titles at the top of pages.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Calibrate your monitor imo. They are different shades as it is.

While the difference between boxes could be better, I would say either your monitors have bad contrast or you've set the brightness way too high.

I can see the difference on mobile but yeah I tried turning my contrast down on my work desktop and still couldn't see any difference. I don't remember being able to at home, either.

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
I can see the difference on mobile but yeah I tried turning my contrast down on my work desktop and still couldn't see any difference. I don't remember being able to at home, either.

I would recommend trying the other way around, turning the contrast up and brightness down. But maybe your workplace monitor has a cheaper TN panel so the contrast isn't great in the first place. Your phone probably has an OLED screen so that's why you can see the difference better there. Surrounding lighting also plays a role.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I voted fourth option, the spacing helps make it more readable. I'm honestly indifferent between Open Sans or Helvetica though.

However can I suggest different colors for your own posts and text boxes that have quoted you?

Tz0TroJ.gif

I voted for #2, but it's hard to gauge how things look with such tightly-cropped screenshots.

Scratch that, changed my vote number three. This post swayed me over easily. Even in the comparison pics, you can tell Open Sans is easier to read.
Seems #4 ran away with it, but I hope the admins take this into consideration. :P

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I changed my choice to the second, but with the notation of having slightly better contrast between post colors.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any are fine with me, I'm mainly hoping for the font in the text editor to match the font in displayed posts.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

Tz0TroJ.gif

I kind of go back and forth on this. While I can appreciate the larger aperture, I still find helvetica letter shaping to be more visually pleasing, and easier to parse with certain letters and letter groupings. I'm hardly a font expert though, certainly not for forum/website UI purposes.

I prefer spacing between posts, especially depending on how forum colors may change over time. In lieu of that though, a good border would be fine. No spacing with no border would be worst option I think.

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's a tie between the fourth and fifth one.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
The spacing isn't bad, I'd probably prefer a small line between though breaking it up. Might be more of a containment between posts without add more screen real estate.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I really want is for a change in font color for the thread list page. Get against white background is not good on the eyes.

Also why not use the entire real estate of the screen? In my 16:9 monitor the posts leave out empty pillars of space on the sides! Let's use all of it, I'd say!

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most importantly, adjust the spacing around avatars at mobile-res. Them having less margin at the top of them is making me slowly go insane.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Open Sans looks fine as the message body, but I hate the way it looks (and renders) at header sizes and bold weights. I can deal with Helvetica as a body if we have to use one font across the site (which we don't, but I don't know how much mucking around they want to do in the CSS).

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
Whichever wins, you also need to make the padding in posts even on all sides. Currently it's all kinds of different on each side, and it's hurting me.

Bad:

re_padding_badjbs6i.png

Good (quick and dirty edit, but you get it):

re_padding_goodaisxw.png

Cannot unsee...

Also, #1 for me. I like the font size and don't think spacing is necessary with the striping. But can we please change the font in the Reply box to match whatever the community chooses? It's driving me crazy.

Burpelson

Oct 25, 2017
If there's spacing at all I'd prefer it to be really tiny, like 2px. I guess it depends on your eyesight whether you think it's even worth it at that point, though. I could live with any of them.

2p3u6x.png

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Haha, I'm on a Mac and voted for the Open Sans w/ gaps. I'm fine with either...but I want those sexy gaps.

How about the font for the reply box/editor? It appears to be serif :p

Yeah on mobile it's serif for some reason. I'm just tired of staring at Helvetica at this point, I'd like something different and I really admire open sans. I've been using Rubik, a google font a lot lately in my design work and I love it.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a request: please change the coloring of thread titles from gray to a darker shade or color

It's not a HUGE deal but it strains my vision a bit... Thanks

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's spacing at all I'd prefer it to be really tiny, like 2px. I guess it depends on your eyesight whether you think it's even worth it at that point, though. I could live with any of them.

2p3u6x.png
Couple it with higher contrast between page background color and post background color, and its perfect. 2-4px spacing should be just right.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Spaces between posts and helvetica. I don't know why, but I really want spacing. Or if we didn't do spacing, I'd want the alternating backround colors to be a bit more visible. Right now everything blends together too much.

That said, reading some of the posts about expanding Sans might be good too.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care that much about font and size, it's the spacing that bothers me. Put in a line divisor or something, maybe reduce the amount of space the avatars take, it's the space that's the problem imo.

Yeah. Don't even have to make the avatars smaller, just tighten everything up a bit. Something like:

Before (current):

era_whitespacelqq43.png

After:

era_whitespace_aftercyrj0.png