• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
wait hold up they let go of Ru Weerasooriya too? wtf man.

Wish Sony had acquired them instead. I hope everyone impacted land at much better job situations.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Meta is the absolute worst.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
There is a reason why damn at least 70% of Acquisitions fail to bring value or change fortunes for a company. Sad that this pretty much might be the end of this studio.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Doesn't help that Lone Echo isn't even natively available on their most popular headset. Had to run it through my PC, which was fine, but the majority wouldn't have that option.

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being Zuck and being able to fuck around on an obsession (metaverse) despite everyone around you saying it's a waste of money, not making any progress, then just being able to fire a shit ton of people to make up for the fact you fucked up

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Since Andrea Pessino was gone from Twitter I smelled that something wasn't going fine with RaD and now this... even if I never played their VR games, I always had mad respect for them, especially for Pessino that is a great dude.

Really sad to see... :'(

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
My heart goes out to the team. Such an amazingly talented group of people who made the PSP sing with Daxter and God of War, had some missteps on PS4 but nonetheless pushed the envelope. Incredible VR games after...

Sad to see this happen to them.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Damn, there was just a report yesterday that they were shifting internal focus to gaming and away from all the METAVERSE stuff and it heavily implied the gaming biz would avoid the layoffs. Guess not.

mixed-news.com

Report: Meta is doubling down on VR gaming and "retooling" headsets

Meta reportedly wants to focus more on games and is discussing how to get a major IP like "Call of Duty" or "Grand Theft Auto" into the Quest store.
They are shifting focus to generative AI and not gaming right?

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Can totally see them getting the core team together under a new name. These guys are mad talented. I go to lunch at the business park where their office is too so I see it quite often.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
this is... unsurprising.

Again that's what you get when big IT corporations are trying to buy out game studios because that seems to be where the money is.

This is fucking sad, and it will eventually stop... but in the mean time, people will suffer.

I just hope these talented folks will find a safe harbor in other real game studios.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, see you in 3 months for a new article on Games Industry.biz about the new studio made by ex Ready at Dawn founders o/

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Crying shame for the studio but was inevitable given how niche (in terms of reach) their titles have become.

Sony should swoop in, pick them up on the cheap and set them up as the new Bluepoint where they can remaster some of their back catalogue whilst they're still a smaller operation.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Just had a large round of layoffs yesterday at my work. I would anticipate another smaller round after Q2 is done since things in the market are only slowly taking a turn for the better.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
I mean... I know I sound like a broken record, but what was the fucking point of that acquisition.
RaD did not have substantial IP, no specific technology or brand-specific ideas/executions. They were only super talented people delivering great games.

You acquire that company and half of the talents are gone, (very likely the best ones are out first because that is always what happens)... you just acquired nothing.

It's just beyond me.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Daxter was such a fantastic game, and the PSP God of War games were very good too. Hopefully all involved land on their feet!

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't aware Sony had offered to buy them, any source on that?
I have no clue, I wasn't saying anything about acquisition, what I meant is that they worked tightly with Sony making games for them, had a good relation, and they would have been bought eventually for sure.

Instead, they decided to go with VR, the Oculus acquisition didn't came until a couple of years ago.
(to be fair, their Lone Echo games are incredible)