• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
In our ongoing efforts to help our users pick out the very best in entertainment at a glance, we have added a "Must-Play" designation for our highest-scoring games, representing those releases deemed by a consensus of top professional game critics as truly exceptional.

We designate a game as "Must-Play" when it achieves a Metascore of 90 or higher and has been reviewed by a minimum of 15 professional critics. You'll notice our new badge (pictured, right) on games meeting these requirements throughout the site.

How elite are these games? It turns out that just over 4% of eligible games in Metacritic's database qualify for "Must-Play" status.

Here are the games released so far in 2018 that qualify as Must-Play:
OQZj0vi.png

https://www.metacritic.com/feature/metacritic-must-play-games

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Studios closures due to not getting the Metacritic "Must Play" bonus.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
let Metacritic die already, geez. Hope review sites just ditch the scores so people's livelihood won't be affected by this travesty of a grading system.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movies do the same with advertising it has a certified fresh rotten tomatoes score

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally. I've said this all along. Literally not a single game below 90 is worth playing.

I hate this intense focus on review scores.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Seems flawed when the Xbox version of Nier: Automata is a Must-Play, but the PS4 version isn't.

PC versions of both Celeste and INSIDE aren't Must-Plays, however the console versions are... I could go on.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Good idea! Of course review scores aren't everything, and sometimes the critics get it wrong, but in general a 90 Meta game is well worthy of that badge. And people should check them out!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
A website that aggregates general opinions is advising people on games to play that have widespread high scores? Time to get angry.

(hard cutoff at 90 is kind of dumb though)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I really hope studios don't start slapping those on their boxes. But you know they will!!

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
That's one tacky-looking badge. Speaks volumes that they're only introducing it for games and not incorporating it for their movie, TV and music reviews, too.
What happens when a game initially receives a 90+ Metacritic score and then falls below that mark? Do they take the badge away?

Also, seems silly that certain games will attain this status on one platform and not others. Is Sonic Mania Plus not a must-play game for PS4 owners? Apparently not.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Really don't like this type of thing. Same goes for Rotten Tomatoes and all review aggregators.
I haven't used Metacritic for a decision to play a game in ages but I am guessing that for bigger publishers and developers this will become something to achieve for (and decide if you get that bonus).

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, not a good metric. So I guess DK Tropical Freeze or even DQ XI aren't must plays? This will only take the score fetish to more absurd levels

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
eh.

Jokes aside, people need a filtering system. There are too many games coming out to play everything.

if this helps people with their buying choices, so be it.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know why people are against Metacritic.

I always use Metacritic to find game I might have forgot about or missed.

I usually check games I haven't heard of or forgot about that are 79 to 100.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meh.

I think there are games with even a 70ish metascore that are must play. Not every game has to be a masterpiece to be worthy.

Firecrest

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully publishers won't make it as cringeworthy as the Rotten Tomatoes "CERTIFIED FRESH!" label they stick on just about every movie.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This. No reason to get worked up over this
It's probably a bit dumb or at least pointless since the criteria is so vanilla. I assume most people take "must play" to mean just a widely recognized good game and they probably would have seen games in the 90s as that already so not sure of the purpose.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
There are soo many great games that will not be included because those 2-3 random reviewers were having a bad day so they gave the game a 3 for whatever reason.

Review scores shouldn't matter this much

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to make a ratings site for ratings sites and Metacritic will not get a must visit badge.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy that 90 is the cutoff. :( All the more reason why this industry needs a better system.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As one of the biggest gaming websites turns away from scores to join other publications, Metacritic doubles down on EXACTLY why scores are bad.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
While I agree that the focus on review scores for people's livelihoods is shit...

Its still damn good to see NieR Automata up there.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
90 seems too high to be a ''must play'' I mean that 89.9 can be overlooked but that 90.1? Shit son what are you waiting for?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Seems flawed when the Xbox version of Nier: Automata is a Must-Play, but the PS4 version isn't.

PC versions of both Celeste and INSIDE aren't Must-Plays, however the console versions are... I could go on.

Yeah, this doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Pretty sure I could look up my favorite games on MC (Nier: Automata being one of them) and most of the probably wouldn't qualify.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It improves the accessibility of the website for those new to games, such as parents who just bought their first system for their kids, who don't know what constitutes a great score. I think a percentile graph like OpenCritic has is better, but this is fine.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
let Metacritic die already, geez. Hope review sites just ditch the scores so people's livelihood won't be affected by this travesty of a grading system.

Yes, this travesty. Just look at all that trash in listed in the OP. Clearly metacritic is an awful metric by which to judge games.

Oct 30, 2017
That's the problem with Metacritic right there. What about an amazing game that scored a 75? Do you exclude it from consideration just because an arbitrary scoring system ranked it a slightly lower number than your threshold? Gaming has become too much about this meta-narrative instead of just picking a game that looks good and playing it.

Actually to be honest I even check games all the way down to 70, but I'm less likely to check everything the lower the score is. For example on Switch checking for games I check every 90 I haven't heard of, then I check most 80 games, then I check a few 70s games that look interesting from the game cover and description.