• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I've searched for it and couldn't find a thread, even though it's been up since a good week.
Note that it's between January 1 and June 30, so it doesn't include Ghost of Tsushima (83) or others released since.
Games must have at least 7 reviews, basic HD ports are excluded, and they've also chosen the platform with the most reviews (not necessarily the best score), since they separate those.

From low to high, I've added the number of reviews as well:
  • Command & Conquer Remastered Collection - 83 / 55 reviews
  • MLB The Show 20 - 83 / 39 reviews
  • Deep Rock Galactic - 84 / 18 reviews
  • If found... - 84 / 14 reviews
  • Lair of the Clockwork God - 84 / 10 reviews
  • Panzer Corps 2 - 84 / 13 reviews
  • Streets of Rage 4 - 84 / 50 reviews
  • Desperados III - 85 / 54 reviews
  • Monster Train - 85 / 24 reviews
  • Nioh 2 - 85 / 90 reviews
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake - 87 / 122 reviews
  • Legends of Runeterra - 87 / 11 reviews
  • Doom Eternal - 88 / 60 reviews
  • Dreams - 89 / 79 reviews
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - 89 / 89 reviews
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons - 90 / 110 reviews
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 90 / 71 reviews
  • Half-Life Alyx - 93 / 68 reviews
  • The Last of Us Part II - 94 / 114 reviews
  • Persona 5 Royal - 95 / 71 reviews

Check the link for their quick description of each game.
Looks like this first half has been particularly good for PC gamers overall, and it'll be interesting to see how many of those games will end up in global GOTY top 10s by the end of the year.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still really tempted to drop a pretty penny on an Index for Half Life Alyx

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Persona 5 Royal baby! Nobody saw that one coming!

And it has almost 100 reviews too so it's not up there because only a few people reviewed it

edit: Opencritic has it at 98 reviews, not sure why MC has much less.

opencritic.com

Persona 5 Royal Reviews

Persona 5 Royal brilliantly tweaks the original game by building on fan feedback, adding new characters and content that manages to set the bar even higher for what a JRPG can be in the modern...

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah... 2020 is not going to be mentioned a lot on the "best gaming years" lists

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
6 games either exclusive and/or done by Sony's 1st party studios...for a console in its 7th year in stores.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
This is the best year in like for ever for me. I've played so many great games and with FF7:remake and TLOU2 two of my GOAT games.

Let's see how GoT holds up. With Cyberpunk 2077 coming, this could pretty well become one of my favorite years in gaming.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dreams in the top 10.
Yes queen.

giphy.gif

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
Out of those, I've platinumed P5R and TLOU2, played AC: New Horizons for about 150 hours, lost interest in Doom Eternal after a few hours, and recently started Desperados III (which I'm really enjoying so far). Still have Xenoblade Chronicles sitting on my shelf for later.

Not too bad overall, though I doubt anything'll compare to 2017 (P5, RE7, Nier, Yakuza 0, HZD, BotW) in the foreseeable future.

Oct 25, 2017
Lair of the Clockwork God got so little coverage and I don' really understand why. Seems to be universally loved.

store.steampowered.com

Lair of the Clockwork God on Steam

A fast-paced Point-and-Click adventure AND an indie platfomer in one! Join adventurer Ben and wannabe indie darling Dan in a race against time to stop all the Apocalypses happening at the same time.

Oct 25, 2017
Shitty year in general, but a phenomenal year for gaming especially if you're a PS owner. Nioh 2 to FF7R to TLOU2 was bonkers. I've traded my PS4 in but there's still Ghost and Aegis Rim to come.

Also Ori really doesn't get the praise the game deserves. I played it on PC and it's so fucking good.

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic year so far for me. FFVII:Remake is my GoTY warts and all, TLoU:Part II is brilliant and P5R brings some fresh ideas and QoL changes to an already fantastic game. Dreams is super innovative, Ghost of Tsushima looks to be great if formulaic and Cyberpunk will be worth a try for me later this year (despite my gripes with Witcher 3, CDPRs last game). Add in to that maybe a couple of heavy hitters for next gen and could be a special albeit transitional year for games.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Fantastic year so far for me. FFVII:Remake is my GoTY warts and all, TLoU:Part II is brilliant and P5R brings some fresh ideas and QoL changes to an already fantastic game. Dreams is super innovative, Ghost of Tsushima looks to be great if formulaic and Cyberpunk will be worth a try for me later this year (despite my gripes with Witcher 3, CDPRs last game). Add in to that maybe a couple of heavy hitters for next gen and could be a special albeit transitional year for games.

Indeed, don't know why some are down on the year for gaming.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Man, I bought literally zero of these games...

amioutoftouch.jpg

I'll probably get P5R if it ever gets ported though. Not spending $80 on the game on the same console as I already bought the original game on. Ori I "have" on GamePass.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Damn what a great year for Playstation. And we don't even fully know the PS5 launch line-up yet.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
ok year so far, but far from others. Nioh 2 and Streets of Rage 4 are the two that stand out.

Feb 24, 2018
A Reminder that this is NOT an objective list nor does this change, diminish any criticism people have of the game (especially concerns of homopbobia, transphobia, sexism, racism etc) or should be used to shut down discussion or critique. Ultimately, what YOU like and what you thought was the best is what really matters and no list can take that away.

Of the games listed, I never heard of Monster Train.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still really tempted to drop a pretty penny on an Index for Half Life Alyx
As much as a I loved TLOU2 and Persona 5, HL:A is probably my game of the generation.

It's really an unforgettable experience and showcases the enormous potential of VR for evolving the medium. As you can tell it is just scratching the surface despite how good it is.

I will say, that while I don't regret buying an Index for it, the lack of other big budget content means it might not be the right investment for everyone(still a decent array of other experiences). Then again, there seems to be a lot of content emerging from the workshop every week, so you will get some extra mileage even from HL.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've been happy with this year so far, P5R and XB:DE have been excellent, Half-Life: Alyx is on my shortlist next Steam sale, and I'm really looking forward to a bunch of games coming out in the second half of the year. Plus it helps I have a gigantic backlog so I don't feel it when there's a lull in releases.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Damn, I should really try P5 Royal. Been getting back into the swing of JRPGs lately.

Platform stats
OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
For a more interesting stat than exclusives, out of those 20 games:

- 12 of those games can be played natively on PC (14 if you count Nioh 2 and FF7R as they're timed exclusive)
- 9 can be played on PS4
- 5 can be played on Xbox One
- 3 can be played on Switch (4 if you count Doom Eternal releasing there soon)
- 2 can be played on mobile
- 1 can be played on Stadia

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remaster of command and conquer at 83 over Ghost of Tsushima at 83? Nah

C&C was fun back in the day, but it's dated crap by todays standards, even in the anaemic RTS genre that has barely evolved in decades.