• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Still trying to beat Armstrong on Very Hard. I'm out of practice with blade mode so I keep eating shit the first time he throws mech parts at me.

TheStrxggler

Oct 25, 2017
THAT PLATINUM TOUCH BABY

In all seriousness, it is an excellent high-speed action ride that I personally love.

Great Game, Even Better Soundtrack.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I gave up on MGR a few hours in. It just plays so differently from other Platinum character action games that I'm entirely lost. There's all this stealth bullshit and fruit ninja cutting that just doesn't click for me.

Someday I'll go back to it.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I've been waiting for it to go on sale on Xbox after it became a BC title. So excited to blast through it.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on MGR a few hours in. It just plays so differently from other Platinum character action games that I'm entirely lost. There's all this stealth bullshit and fruit ninja cutting that just doesn't click for me.

You don't have to use stealth at all if you don't want to. You can finish the whole game swords blazing.

Oct 25, 2017
See I love everything about this game... except the gameplay? It just felt so frustrating and punishing in all the wrong ways when you were trying to play with style but weren't quite there yet. The learning process never became fun for me and every time I go back to replay it I just give up after a stage or two.

Oct 25, 2017
I still hope for a sequel.

I'll dream and dream, but I know it's never happening. At the very least I hope Platinum takes it's spirit and makes a whole new ride. I wanna see a President spar with a TV Host and all of a sudden an Astronaut comes down filled with alien slime screaming "IT WAS ALL IN THE PYRAMIDS!!!"

Definitely gonna buy on steam one of these days for a replay.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This game is so infinitely better than it had any right to be. As a huge Platinum fan this is among their best games for me.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite Metal Gear game by far. I don't know if PG could have topped themselves with a sequel to this.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, this game is one-of-a-kind. I'm really sad we'll likely never see a true sequel to it.

It's incredible when you consider just how compressed Platinum's dev cycle was on this game. Mind-boggling to consider they didn't even have a full two years to work on it, and yet managed to produce something this stellar!

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide up out there for getting this game to run at 1440p+ on newer systems? Because, let's be honest, the port was godawful. Game is amazing though. I really want to replay it now...

radian8

Oct 25, 2017
When Mistral calls out "This ends now!" and the chorus vocals kick in. God, I love this game!
When this happened I was already in love with the game, but it instantly went in to one of the most memorable special games I've ever played and it only got better and better from there. The game is so expertly crafted that it'll always be on my list of games that I highly recommend to people. It's so damn fantastic!

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It might be my favorite Platinum game, except for Automata. It's not as complex as Bayo or W101 but its bosses are wonderfully designed.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
MGRising is a great experience that captures the goofy nature of Metal Gear, but the hypest game stars this fella:
latest

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Man I need to get back to finishing this at some point. I stopped for no good reason after I beat that wolf/dog type boss pretty early on.

GrappleMania

Oct 25, 2017
Despite some flaws it's definitely one of my favorite games of all time. The length is just perfect for replaying it in an evening or two and is always fun going back to it.
I actually played the game last year for a company Extra Life stream and even though it's not the sort of thing many of them would play they loved watching the spectacle of it all.

Crashmeister

Oct 25, 2017
Casablanca
Hell yea! Played this gem when it was part of PS+ line up on Ps3, flawless gameplay, addictive combat with the parry system and damn soundtrack was perfect!!

excellent boss fights, especially the last one with the ridiculous long cutscenes haha!!

recently watched GB's Dan and Drew play it. its very entertaining.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Most quotable game of all time. Count it.

The sheer number of GOAT-tier boss fights in this game is unbelievable. It's like the best rival fights of 10 years worth of the character action genre rolled into one game.

NiteJohn

Oct 25, 2017
God, this thread is making want to play this again. But I think my 360 is dead. Might buy it later on the PC.

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
Had a good time with it even though I'm not great in this kind of games. We can all agree though that the last boss is a joke and drags down the overall experience.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I like Revengeance and I'll gladly put it up as one of the most hype games ever made, but... Aren't you all forgetting someone?

Their faces are forever masked.
Their tombs are forever unknown.
They are...

The Wonderful 101!

Such a hype game. The final stages are just pure hype from start to finish. You can probably stop playing halfway through them to take break, but let's be honest... no. You cannot. When you start Operation 009, you're in until the end.

This game so very much needs a Switch update or a sequel. So much fun, so much hype. Even if the controls takes some getting used to.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I like Revengeance and I'll gladly put it up as one of the most hype games ever made, but... Aren't you all forgetting someone?

Their faces are forever masked.
Their tombs are forever unknown.
They are...

The Wonderful 101!

Such a hype game. The final stages are just pure hype from start to finish. You can probably stop playing halfway through them to take break, but let's be honest... no. You cannot. When you start Operation 009, you're in until the end.

This game so very much needs a Switch update or a sequel. So much fun, so much hype. Even if the controls takes some getting used to.

While I agree that W101 is [ [ [ MAXIMUM HYPE ] ] ] I think said hype really comes from all the cutscenes/QTEs. Nothing about the actual gameplay in the final chapters actually contributed to the hype - certainly not /another/ of Kamiya's Space Harrier-esque shooting sections. Compare that to Rising, where the Armstrong fight is not only hype as helll due to the incredibly long and OTT cutscene preceding it, but the fight itself asks you to show off your mastery of every single skill you've learned from fighting previous bosses. It's the Revengeance experience culminated in a single encounter without any extraneous bullshit.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it joins soon the xbox backwards compatibility list.

The PC port was a godsend too.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
While I agree that W101 is [ [ [ MAXIMUM HYPE ] ] ] I think said hype really comes from all the cutscenes/QTEs. Nothing about the actual gameplay in the final chapters actually contributed to the hype - certainly not /another/ of Kamiya's Space Harrier-esque shooting sections. Compare that to Rising, where the Armstrong fight is not only hype as helll due to the incredibly long and OTT cutscene preceding it, but the fight itself asks you to show off your mastery of every single skill you've learned from fighting previous bosses. It's the Revengeance experience culminated in a single encounter without any extraneous bullshit.
I can agree with that, though I will say most of the W101 boss fights are more hype than the MGR ones on sheer "This is a thing we're doing now!" factor alone. But the weird and sudden gameplay changes do feel a little like the game not being confident enough in its core gameplay.

Armstrong, on the other hand just flat out asks you "Do you know how to play?" Fighting him on Revengeance difficulty is like a final exam of everything in the game. One hit and you lose so much health that it rolls over and spends two repair pastes automatically. You either dodge perfectly, or you die. As a consolation prize, your QTE attacks do a lot of damage, too.

But I still thing that from sheer spectacle, W101's final chapter is just plain crazy. And it has the best QTE in video games.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
The best game Platinum has made. Simple yet deep combat system, addictive gameplay loop that never dulls and instant restarts via constant checkpoints.

OST is fantastic also.

CylonToaster

Oct 25, 2017
Greece
I played this for the first time recently and loved every minute of it. The beginning was a bit confusing for me but once it clicked it was amazing. Plus, it's highly replayable!

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
This thread is only reminding me on how much I love Platinum. Both Revengeance and W101 contain maximum hype-based escalation, though all of their games have the ability to melt my face with sheer spectacle, even on repeat plays. I still need to pick up a few of their more recent releases.

What are they up to nowadays?

Jaffo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rome, Italy
I remember being so mad at the announcement but then loving the game. Bosses and music were GOAT, but levels felt pretty aseptic and empty