• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
I really need a sequel, I remember getting Metal Gear Rising as soon as it came out and getting the platinum for it. Slick and stylish combat, best soundtrack (it's soooooo good aaaaaa), best bosses (sundowner was meh but every other fight makes up for it. The harder difficulty modes was so intense too and getting a parry at the right time felt so good.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Went to the launch event in LA for this game. Even got into the after party Konami threw at Hard Rock. Got to see the dozen plus musicians involved with the game perform the soundtrack live. What a night.

MqgcA0D6aw01mLUKDgPNruLl9bn-EoSTFcgfy16IVSmNQS8QPHr92gust-znFogzfIYrsMcrTBdJlLTNXTLRl4jkLYpBPMziclSv5eajNfxqyxrrQiJIjMr2JCzJNupOsyUnyg9N5ktdfoHDW2SkgQBEewSrYfd5QsD4gWEz4wp27p5XX_9kFTdc_zy8Sps6GiooJLzqRVmxEdzKVqIaIbC-ISKRy5iBCas_KgLpaTjCAqkaHcHYCagx2ZS6yWPzkfFTL2qDUf8bcZ2OHDhJVOm6t-GpYE3SW_xlKC9dAif1KwwLc-h5q4bcz9QdkuKAyuEeV2631ms24fyZCNOLOpRuGs4S1koBqErkQW0UVqw3Dd9rmuojv8x6qkCmjGDLRNFR2Ez8-tApDoc8-gYrTPnK16rRdHlDKUtGtgDjjjwY1OzRAQBDECOP5WlWvk1KpGSXvUpjZKxHBCF4Gax1b0L-RumxNe6zMbzHAdO3cphHQfsr3Bf7C_CK1gpGwuEBxaIgQXUyJJXltIeU3Nk1qbNWbpFCc97USup4n7yIRL0eTocgm-2JtBiy_YUq-5cNrLo0LJ3Z5-l6nJWnV-O7Ks5okGTBUshUTtD_o8ievlnCyeba4TFpr3ACHLt36oD3jx4xyTNPnv7iquyN5JTr1fd4RKXx8Cpw=w1250-h937-no

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
"And besides... This isn't my sword"

Chills, that line gets me every time. They should have cut the "Let's dance" line and just let the final stage of the fight kick off with the "this isn't my sword" line.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to pick a favorite thing about Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, it's that it's the canonical conclusion to the Metal Gear storyline.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
I'll be honest...I never got the parry timing down. I just mashed forward and stuff happened. I hate that I never "got" the fighting system like in DMC or Bayo and literally just smashed my way to the ending.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Played it on PS3 and man is it a fantastic experience. Thread got me in the mood to think about a double dipping on PC and browse merch while listening to the ost (which is on spotify!).

How is the Switch Pro Controller's PC compatibility??

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
i got the game back when it came out on the PC way back when. Thanks to the GPU upgrades over the year, i went from different resolutions with this game. I went from 720p/60fps, 1080p/60fps to 4k/60fps. I know my graphics card is powerful enough to go beyond 4k res, but i dont have any monitor to take advantage of that. All and all i still haven't completed the game from the many years i owned it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone got a copy of that gif of Raiden doing the move where he plants the stick vertically in the ground, and spins round it kicking a bunch of guys that swarmed round him?

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
The one thing that really breaks my heart that we're never getting a sequel for with current Konami, MGS, Castlvania, Contra, SH, etc... All got proper titles worthy of a send off. MGR was 1 very rushed, yet extremely good title with so much more potintial for a sequel with proper development time.

IDK how MGR1 felt rushed. Yes it is true it is basically a "Revival/Reimagining" of the canceled Metal Gear Solid Rising (I remember when I first saw footage of MGR:R I thought "God damn it they ruined it." now I think Kojima giving it to platinum was the BEST POSSIBLE OUTCOME and I actually am happy it turned out the way it did, maybe better than MGS Rising) but it is PACKED full of content. Unlockable swords, (Including the non lethal one) costumes, the collectibles like the MiB (Men in Boxes) collectable left hands and concept art, the DLC, (Where Sam and Blade Wolf have their own mechanics) VR missions (Including ones for Blade Wolf and Sam) I think there was a way to select boss fights once you beat the game, revengeance difficulty, etc.

The only thing kind of missing was no achievement for a non-lethal playthrough. IDK if it's because there's some enemies you have to kill, but there is definitely one for doing 10 "battle segments" non lethally. (Just not a "Beat the game non lethal" achievement) And even without the non lethal sword, you can cut people's legs off, run away, and they turn on their cloak ("Die" non lethally)

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely wouldn't mind an upgraded re-release of sorts. Rising was awesome, and probably my favorite game from Platinum.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
IDK how MGR1 felt rushed. Yes it is true it is basically a "Revival/Reimagining" of the canceled Metal Gear Solid Rising (I remember when I first saw footage of MGR:R I thought "God damn it they ruined it." now I think Kojima giving it to platinum was the BEST POSSIBLE OUTCOME and I actually am happy it turned out the way it did, maybe better than MGS Rising) but it is PACKED full of content. Unlockable swords, (Including the non lethal one) costumes, the collectibles like the MiB (Men in Boxes) collectable left hands and concept art, the DLC, (Where Sam and Blade Wolf have their own mechanics) VR missions (Including ones for Blade Wolf and Sam) I think there was a way to select boss fights once you beat the game, revengeance difficulty, etc.

The only thing kind of missing was no achievement for a non-lethal playthrough. IDK if it's because there's some enemies you have to kill, but there is definitely one for doing 10 "battle segments" non lethally. (Just not a "Beat the game non lethal" achievement) And even without the non lethal sword, you can cut people's legs off, run away, and they turn on their cloak ("Die" non lethally)
Not content-wise, main thing it lack is over all polish, but a lot of stuff felt under developed too, mainly boss weapons and item weapons could have been way more than what we got. It's a game developed from concept to release in under two years!

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Going through this game AGAIN and it's pretty clear it had a short dev time but it's still so good and it's a miracle what Platinum managed to do in a year and a half. Imagine a full dev cycle for a sequel, one of gaming's biggest missed opportunities right there.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Going through this game AGAIN and it's pretty clear it had a short dev time but it's still so good and it's a miracle what Platinum managed to do in a year and a half. Imagine a full dev cycle for a sequel, one of gaming's biggest missed opportunities right there.

It's really insane how awesome this game turned out despite all it's development issues. Platinum really knocked it out of the park and made a timeless classic. While I'd love a sequel one day I also think MGR really stands on it's own as this singular thing that just came out of nowhere and has it's own unique style and combat system with some of the best dialog lines in gaming history. It's also just full of some of the most legendary boss fights ever.

I like to think Sekiro is part of it's legacy as well, making a bigtime AAA game's combat system entirely about parrying is something that MGR paved the way for.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
And what a good fucking game it is. Legitimate contender for both best Metal Gear game and best action game of all time.

Fucking hell, sequel when?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
What would people want in a sequel? I know I'd like to see an aggressive speed-focused type of stealth action to be feasible in parts of the game. That ridiculous aerial stealth kill was fun to pull off.

I'd also want some HF claw weapons and the wall-running from that early build

MGS%2BRISING%2BWALL%2BRUN%2BBULLETS.gif

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
What I played was great, then it ended that same day. Really wish Plantinum Games conjured up more bosses and levels with their excellent creativity.

Also love it had a traditional codec, it felt like a genuine Metal Gear experience. Love just randomly phoning people (especially all the codec easter eggs in MGS2)

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the expensive CE of this at launch with the big ass white Raiden figure and then it kinda flopped and you could get the CE for dirt cheap.

Don't regret it though. Fantastic game, best soundtrack, nanomachines, memes and Sam's smile.

So sad we didn't get a sequel.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This is the only Metal Gear game I've played and beaten. And that's alright, I think.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played through this for the first time over the holidays, it's pretty cool, title music is great. I played the demo years ago and couldn't get on with it but glad I gave the full game a go, it's very slick and fun to play.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
"And besides... This isn't my sword"

Chills, that line gets me every time. They should have cut the "Let's dance" line and just let the final stage of the fight kick off with the "this isn't my sword" line.
The "let's dance" line is a very intentional callback to Sam using the same line on both Armstrong and Raiden.

And what a good fucking game it is. Legitimate contender for both best Metal Gear game and best action game of all time.

Fucking hell, sequel when?
Hear hear.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Memories broken
The truth goes unspoken
I've even forgotten my naaaaaaameeee

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What would people want in a sequel? I know I'd like to see an aggressive speed-focused type of stealth action to be feasible in parts of the game. That ridiculous aerial stealth kill was fun to pull off.

Wall running for sure. Also better gadgets, and being able to fast swap weapons without having to go into the menu are the big ones.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those rare glorious games, where against all odds the stars aligned and something magical happened. I truly believe it to be not only the best Metal Gear game, but the greatest action game ever made.

Is the ps3 version ok to play? Where is the best place for it?
PS3 version is solid, course it's getting up there in age. If you got a PC, I'd recommend grabbing it there.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it on PS3, couldn't understand what I was doing wrong with the parry system. Hung out with a friend that showed me what I was doing wrong and then I saw the light.

One of the best action games of all time. I got all achievements in sekiro, got NG2 X enhanced, and after that gonna replay this one. Too bad we will never get a sequel.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I will never forget how hyped I was for this game. When the first new (PlatinumGames) reveal trailer was released, I watched it with a friend while being super high. We both were laughing and screaming out of pure hype and happyness. The music, the action, the blade-mode, the parrying etc.
And when I bought Zone Of The Enders HD with the Metal Gear Rising demo, I played it for weeks!

When it was finally released I bought the Limited Edition (EU) with the awesome figure. After that, I bought all the different steelbooks which were exclusive to various regions and shops.

Definitely still one of my favorite games ever :)
I'm still mad about not getting a sequel.

At least I got my orgasmic parry fix with Sekiro.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
Guess I should play Sekiro. Didn't know it was so parry focused.

Yeah definitely bring back that wall run. That was such a tease!

Other things I would've liked in a sequel that will never ever actually freakin happen:

- More seamless and creative integration of secondary weapons (grenades, rpgs etc) into regular combat. Like if you tapped the item button while performing a combo, you could attach an unpinned grenade to the enemy and kick him into a nearby group.

- Special super hard VR missions that feature "reimagined" legacy boss battles (Solidus, Vamp, etc.)

- A gameplay mechanic based off that badass rocket boost Solidus had in MGS2. Might function like the boost in Vanquish.

- Two different types of parries. One is the same as the first game, still activated with the forward+light attack input. But to keep you on your toes, an enemy might randomly throw out an attack that can only be deflected with a forward+HEAVY input, even in the middle a long combo string. It'd probably be indicated with a blue flash or something, to make it distinct from the usual red or yellow.

So you couldn't mindlessly spam square to defend yourself againt someone like Monsoon. You'd have to be prepared to occasionally mash triangle too! :p

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Recently bought & started playing Sekiro, having a lot of fun with it so far. Japan stays winning when it comes to these action games. MGSRII would be such a hype announcement for me for the upcoming gen. Can't believe it's already been 5 years, since picking this up for my PS3. Will most likely even grab a copy on STEAM, when I get a proper gaming rig. I would absolutely grab an enhanced version of they release it on the current consoles.

All of Platinum's outputs that I have had a chance to play have been pure straight up fun. A lot of their talent, I've admired from their time and rise at Capcom. Definitely one of my favorite studios out there.

Last edited: