• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Make America Great Again was a Reagan slogan

I wasn't referring to that slogan tho, if I remember correctly Armstrong's speech was exactly what Trump did during election: anti-establishment and anti-elites.
Just to quote one of Armstrong's lines: "Where the law changes to suit the individuals, not the other way around" and also "Fuck the media!". It's uncanny how Armstrong is basically a Trump parody before Trump was a thing.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I replayed this last year and, damn. It's still my favorite game in its genre. The control scheme for parrying, light and hard attacks, the continuously chained light attack strings, and fantastic diversity between enemy types.

I get that Konami is now a sewer from which we should never expect anything good... But I at least want Platinum to use the underlying mechanics of this game to make a spiritual successor.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't referring to that slogan tho, if I remember correctly Armstrong's speech was exactly what Trump did during election: anti-establishment and anti-elites.
Just to quote one of Armstrong's lines: "Where the law changes to suit the individuals, not the other way around" and also "Fuck the media!". It's uncanny how Armstrong is basically a Trump parody before Trump was a thing.
Sure, that's correct then.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I watched my little brother beat this with a HORI HRAP 3A arcade stick lmao. Amazing game.

But FUCK OFF with that supposed "Guyanese" character. It was the worst attempt at the accent, and the worst performance I've ever heard in gaming voice acting wise.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing, and I mean nothing, hyped me more than the fact that the first boss, five minutes into the game, is a fucking Metal Gear

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

When?
It needs to happen immediately.

Skbzi

Jun 1, 2018
Katy, TX
I remember feeling extremely disappointed since I was expecting a serious story based on the second trailer that we got.

- The other weapons, aside from the HF Blade, were very lackluster
- Not enough enemy variety
- Too short
- Would have liked to see the exact process of the body upgrade
- The cheesiness with Armstrong was extremely cringe-worthy

Then again, Platinum hardly had much time to salvage the game so props to them for being able to pull it off. The two best things about the game for me were the soundtrack and the first mission with Ray.

Oct 25, 2017
I replayed this last year and, damn. It's still my favorite game in its genre. The control scheme for parrying, light and hard attacks, the continuously chained light attack strings, and fantastic diversity between enemy types.

I get that Konami is now a sewer from which we should never expect anything good... But I at least want Platinum to use the underlying mechanics of this game to make a spiritual successor.
Yes, please! Give Saito the director chair and tell him to make a sequel in a different world. That's all I need.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
But FUCK OFF with that supposed "Guyanese" character. It was the worst attempt at the accent, and the worst performance I've ever heard in gaming voice acting wise.
While I do share this exact sentiment about the English voice direction, I still can't help but appreciate HOLY SHIT THERE'S A GUYANESE CHARACTER IN THIS GAME.

No amount of bad localization can make me NOT mark out about that fact. I honestly still can't believe it happened, in my favorite game series no less.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
While I do share this exact sentiment about the English voice direction, I still can't help but appreciate HOLY SHIT THERE'S A GUYANESE CHARACTER IN THIS GAME.

No amount of bad localization can make me NOT mark out about that fact. I honestly still can't believe it happened, in my favorite game series no less.

Don't get me wrong man. I was hyped there was a Guyanese character, just like I was hyped that Mew from Pokemon was from Guyana. More representation is always good. But that accent was straight trash. I don't even know what it was supposed to be. It reminded me of Jar Jar from Star Wars episode 1.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Who bumped this?
i will fight u in the street
How petty and childish can one be? Also, I don't even think you know what a proper analogy is, was that the best you could come up with half a year ago? Yikes.
Must be a pretty miserable life you live if you get pleasure from seeing other people suffer.
I don't know what is more satisfying y'alls hate or knowing this is never getting a sequel.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Not getting Metal Gear Rising 2 was the actual biggest loss of the Kojima/Konami breakup

edit - shit i didn't realize this was a year old necrobump

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Came for the action, stayed for the OST. MGRising was definitely a cut above the rest in terms of the overall presentation. (no pun intended)

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite fast-paced action game, no other game makes you feel so BADASS all the time. The music, the animations, the scale.
Also the boss fights were something else... Dueling Sam, parrying Monsoon, cutting Sundowner precisely until the final showdown with the Senator (where the game still have you to learn a new move if you want to 'perfect' the fight)... How I miss this.
The 2 DLC were quite something too.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Platinum knows their shit, that's for sure.

The heavy cheese/half serious vibe works great for Metal Gear.

The butt rock isn't my flavor but worked so well for the game that it became endearing (like the Devil May Cry 3 soundtrack or a 3D Sonic soundtrack).

Metal Gear Rising is one of my favorite action games of all time. I even bought the plasma lamp.

Oct 31, 2017
Back then, I went with another journalist to Konami for a preview event.

We played the first mission if I'm not mistaken. He played then I played... Him and the PR dude freaked out when I fought the dog as I completely destroyed it ! :D

What a great boss that was... And it was only the first one !

I need a sequel in my life :(

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god I didn't even notice this was a necrobump for a bit.

Anyways this game really made me think hard about the role of the final boss in video games. And how incredibly often they are disappointing. MGR on the other hand, is practically synonymous with the concept of 'amazing motherfucker of a final battle'. It's what everyone thinks about when you bring it up (well, that and RULES OF NATURE).

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
phew, 4 years isn't that ba.... oh.

trump didn't invent rightwing populism.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To this date I'm really surprised no game has managed to come close to what this game offered with its thematic boss fights

Man.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Played it in 2016 and it's one of the three best games of last generation for me. Galaxy 2 is number one, and this is two or three switching around with Dark Souls, depending on the day.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Still my favourite Platinum game and yet it had the shortest dev time outside of their licensed games. Saito knows how to make great games in short dev times. Let him direct again!

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGR had no right to be this good.

It's fucking amazing how P* were able to make this in 18 months.

I didn't play the game at launch on the consoles since I was busy at the time but I've picked it up when they ported it to PC. I went in blind with no expectations and I was blown away.

My biggest and I'm sure everyone else's suprise was Armstrong so I'll just quote myself here

I love this game. I would kill for a sequel.
I thought I was the only one that noticed how the song lyrics go so well with the bosses story

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I thought I was the only one that noticed how the song lyrics go so well with the bosses story
The easiest way to spot someone who has never played MGR is when they say the soundtrack is bad (those clowns exist here too).

Each song being written specifically for each boss is an incredibly cool and fun thing. The lyrics kicking in at the final third of the fight, hnggg

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The easiest way to spot someone who has never played MGR is when they say the soundtrack is bad (those clowns exist here too).

Each song being written specifically for each boss is an incredibly cool and fun thing. The lyrics kicking in at the final third of the fight, hnggg
Damn right, one of those fools appear every time good soundtrack of gaming is discussed and I bring up MGSR. I fell in love with that game the second I saw the first trailer.

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
And yet IIRC Australians still can't buy it on steam because Konami never bothered setting an australian price when Valve added that requirement, because Konami is Konami, and Konami is the worst.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't fucking ready. I was really not ready for this game.

Even though I'm a Platinum fan, I'm not a Metal Gear fan, and I put off playing the game until it was ported to PC. Mind blowing shit, this game was.

I was so into everything about it that I was doing Raiden's Zandatsu animations in real life every time I pulled one off. I was having the time of my life playing this.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Time for MGR 2 on the Switch, i will take that over Scalebound
but it won't ever happen :^(