• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
Great write up op! I played this when I was 10 years old after getting a ps2 bundled with MGS2 and realised I had MGS1 so I went and played it first before 2. GOAT/Classic/Kojima's Magnum opus. That torture scene/section is one of the best in the medium by far. I can't believe people complained about too many cutscenes in MGS games - I loved every second of them! Just imagine MGSV but with loads of cutscenes... ahh man it hurts.

Last edited:

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Nice write-up.

I will say that I have always been against the idea of "cutscene as reward" and it was something that made me not care for a lot of games on PlayStation at the time.

It's never sat right with me that your reward in a game for playing well is something where you don't play at all. It puts non-interactivity and cinema on a pedestal, which I suppose is exactly in Kojima's wheelhouse, but anyway. I did enjoy the gameplay-related storytelling such as the torture device and the other mechanics you covered so well in your post. It continues to be an excellent way to use gameplay to tell a story.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Loved reading this and surprised to see this pop up when I was just craving this game again. I was playing some game music on YouTube and MGS Encounter came on, took me down memory lane. Going to check my old CD case and see if I have this game tucked away. If I do, I'm connecting my launch PS3 and replaying this tonight.

This game seriously needs a remake and not Twin Snakes style.

Deleted member 24450

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would love a full remake that is faithful to the original (voiceovers and soundtrack, gameplay can be updated a bit).

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I missed this thread. I'm glad this was bumped up. What a beautiful write up OP.

I remember so vividly that entire sequence. As a matter of fact, that entire torture sequence is forever with me, literally. I refused to give in and eventually I resorted to rubbing over the circle button back and forth extremely fast using the top of my fingers, directly above the nail, right below the first knuckle. The edges of circle button started to peel off my skin, so now I literally have scars on my index finger, middle finger and ring finger on my right hand. It sounds so lame today, but that sequence was incredibly intense and I genuinely felt for the moment at the time.

It's a moment in gaming that will never be surpassed for the sheer brilliance of it and how it truly makes the player and character one.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I always like to remind people that MGS was a very short game but it was also an incredible game. These days it would receive bad reviews and flak for being so short.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Very good analysis, it described very well how I felt during that whole section as a kid. Metal Gear Solid still feels "next gen" to me.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
How did I miss this write-up?? Excellent stuff.

Now I've got an itch to finally play MGS1 in its entirety. Back in 1999 I was heavily invested in Final Fantasy and other games and simply never got around to playing MGS before the PS2 released.

What's the best way to play this today? I'm assuming nothing compares to playing this on an actual PS One, but I have a PS4 and a PS Vita so maybe the Vita is the way to go these days?

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The best thing about MGS1's torture vs. say, Peace Walker's, is that you can skip it. Absolutely can't do these sequences at all.

Oct 27, 2017
How did I miss this write-up?? Excellent stuff.

Now I've got an itch to finally play MGS1 in its entirety. Back in 1999 I was heavily invested in Final Fantasy and other games and simply never got around to playing MGS before the PS2 released.

What's the best way to play this today? I'm assuming nothing compares to playing this on an actual PS One, but I have a PS4 and a PS Vita so maybe the Vita is the way to go these days?
Vita works perfectly although you miss on some of the vibration scenes like the one after the torture. If you don't care about that then it sould be perfect.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
first and to date only time i have ever broken a controller. after coming so close but failing for the millionth time i threw the controller across the room and broke it. i remember this sequence well.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
You could skip them? I had no idea, I exhausted my hands and even plugging in a fight stick with turbo on to finish the zapping.

In MGS1 yes, but the game repeatedly chides you for doing so. On the plus side, you get stealth camouflage for your second playthrough, and see true love blossom between Snake and Otacon. "Can love bloom on a battlefield?" "Let's find out together."

(They don't actually say that, but they do. With their eyes)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
In MGS1 yes, but the game repeatedly chides you for doing so. On the plus side, you get stealth camouflage for your second playthrough, and see true love blossom between Snake and Otacon. "Can love bloom on a battlefield?" "Let's find out together."

(They don't actually say that, but they do. With their eyes)
Dave and Hal OTP 4eva