• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Canon games ranking:

1) MGS2
2) MGS1
3) MGS3
4) PW
5) GZ/TPP
6) MGS4
7) MG1&2

Reasoning behind the rankings:
MGS1&2 are virtually tied for me but I'll concede that MGS2 is the best in the series. Both told a very compelling story, gameplay was fantastic and the characters were memorable.

MGS3 is practically a cheesy James Bond story of sorts. One of the best prequels ever made.

PW is sort of the MH game of the series due to it being constrained it's handheld nature. While the gameplay isn't nothing special.. it introduces my boy Kaz, Paz and Chico. This game alone has more story than TPP and for that alone it ranks higher.

GZ/TPP the only thing that this game gets right it's the gameplay (best in the series) and the presentation is wonderful. The game starts off strong from a story perspective but it takes a nose dive afterwards due to plot holes and being unfinished (not to mention the different characterization of Big Boss and Ocelot). The game shows moments of brilliance during certain missions but it ultimately falls short.. the game should've been wrapped up after skullface boss fight and Eli was a waste should've been scrapped.

MGS4 great ending and conclusion.. but it's a slog to go back play. Due to the never ending dialog and nanomachines it's just hard for me, it's the only game in the series that i legit yawn. Controls great and it's pretty fun when you're allowed to play.

MG1&2: lack of story but that's due to the hardware (MG2 actually is pretty decent storywise for the time it came out). Hard to play unless you know all the routes or have a guide. But it kick started the series so I'm forever grateful for these entries.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Konami had any sense they would have let Shinta Nojiri take over the Metal Gear series and let him direct another one.

Konami clearly doesn't have any.

You would think they would at least try to pretend in the beginning that they give a shit but nope, their first project after Kojima departs is an embarrassing copy/paste job.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
i'm sure what konami does next mainline wise will be out quicker ( This decade) than whatever death stranding is

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The other day it dawned on me that I don't actually know who says "V has come to." in that GDC 2013 trailer for MGSV with Garbage - Not Your Kind of People. It's clearly a woman's voice, and probably a Russian-ish accent, but I can't think of any lady in either Ground Zeroes or The Phantom Pain who'd fit that bill. Even if it was some Pre-Joosten Quiet, it wouldn't make sense for her to say "V has come to." as Quiet at the time wasn't supposed to know about Venom. If it was Paz, then the Russian accent doesn't make sense, and there's the fact that she's dead. Dr. Strangelove doesn't have the accent either, and also wasn't supposed to know anything about Venom.

Thoughts? (Besides the obvious one of it being some cut character.)

That's actually the nurse who is there when Venom awakens. Alexandra Pikrammenos, and her accent is Greek but it comes off as Russian.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
What if Konami does it? What if they give us 6? Reset the franchise. A new era of sneaking.
V
Not a bad idea. They really should have taken the franchise back after MGS3

Think about it mexen without Kojima we could have
A proper story that isn't a convoluted mess or not complete
No more long winded development cycles with millions and millions spent on scrapped material
No more talk like "This game will be taboo" or "This game will make us all ashamed"
Well written characters
Focused Gameplay

Just a action stealth game about stopping a walking mech from destroying the world and the occasionally freaky AI shit.

Big Wazu

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Glad to hop in on this thread!

Metal Gear Solid left a huge impression on me as a kid and made me really appreciate gaming. My absolute favorite franchise.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
hello everyone, good to be back in MGS ERA

i hope they rerelease the HD collection (or legacy collection) for X1,PS4 and Switch, would be a dream.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think they'll ever release MGS4 for the PS4? That and Peace Walker are the only MGS games I've never played.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
i think they put up MGS 4 on PS Now but it got pulled down

Hell since konami is actually doing a new remaster for zone of the enders 2 who knows what else they have planned

OldLogos

Oct 27, 2017
i hope they rerelease the HD collection (or legacy collection) for X1,PS4 and Switch, would be a dream.

This is all I've ever wanted since I sold my OG PS3 years ago. It didn't occur to me back then that you could play every single MGS game that console (except PO and the AC!Ds). I feel the chances that MGS 4 will ever get ported are slim to none because despite Konami being alright with milking the series with Survive, I don't think they'd want to spend the resources trying to port an older PS3 exclusive.

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
hello everyone, good to be back in MGS ERA

I sorta desperately want a MGSV port on Switch. TPP is like 27GB and GZ is 4GB. Remove MGO3 and you could fit it all in a cart.

As for a HD Collection + MGS4 port, maybe? 4 relies too much on POWER OF THE CELL to really be ported over easily. But who knows.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Fit it on the whole cart kek

Knowing that scenario they would use 16 gb carts and make everything else download

Also 30fps..... Switch Port begging smh

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fit it on the whole cart kek

Knowing that scenario they would use 16 gb carts and make everything else download

Also 30fps..... Switch Port begging smh

Given how well it runs on even the most toaster-like build of a PC it still runs fine. A hypothetical build of the game running at 720p could pull 60fps. Switch runs a Tegra K1 chip, correct?

All I'm saying is, it's possible.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Given how well it runs on even the most toaster-like build of a PC it still runs fine. A hypothetical build of the game running at 720p could pull 60fps. Switch runs a Tegra K1 chip, correct?

All I'm saying is, it's possible.

It's complicated since Most ports this gen to the switch have either been

1 - identical graphics for 60 fps games but running at a lower resolution and half the framerate (snake pass , I am setsuna , dragon quest heroes , nba 2k18)

2 - The Case for 60 fps in ports have only been seen in some cases with the biggest being fifa 18. It gets away with it by using a last generation engine

3 - The common approach to switch 3rd party games which is what Doom , la noire and even sonic are doing a custom version which would have been a last generation version.

Sonic is full resolution and 60 fps everywhere but the switch which is 30 fps

La noire is rumored to be a straight port of the 360 version.

You mentioned tpp can run on toasters at 60 fps and 720p but doom 2016 could also do that and Digital foundry already pointed out that the doom switch port is 540p and 30fps

If tpp ever came to the switch it would probably be the last gen version 30fps and a resolution close to 720p

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for some opinions. Does this GTA V mod look higher or lower effort than Metal Gear Survive?:

I'm thinking it's about the same.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
God bless the chopper!
giphy.gif

Oct 28, 2017
What's up bros? Glad to have the community back. I was Grey ocelot on that other site (Always hated that name choice)

Anyway did anyone see my post about Troy baker's ocelot voice? (does anyone care? :p)

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
I should finish TPP but can't bring myself to play it :| it's been sitting at the disc slot since release date.

Skullface

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WHHHHOOOOOOOO!?!?!

Edit: I'm gunna have to guess that you're Sanic ;)

Yo! I moved to CT last year. Lots of big changes for me. Not gaming as much now that I have a child but I squeeze it in where I can! Are you still up there near Cambridge?

Hey, congrats on the addition to your family! My second was born since we last talked. I still work in Cambridge, living in Peabody.