• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
JtSJ8Mo.png

WELCOME TO THE METAL GEAR COMMUNITY HERE ON ResetERA!

9Ye5OSm.png

METAL GEAR is a video game franchise of stealth action games created by Hideo Kojima, and published by Konami. The series made it's initial debut in 1987 on the MSX with 'METAL GEAR'. The entire franchise (barring a small handful of games) has you play as Snake (there's more than one). Naked Snake (Big Boss), the legendary mercenary. Or, Big Boss' super-solider clone Solid Snake. These games, to condense it way, way down, have you exterminating a nuclear threat to the world.

METAL GEAR as a series has a very anti-war motif as it's message. Among the many themes of nuclear deterrence and proliferation, there are also some heavy handed themes and taboo subjects. Topics like torture, amputation and mutilation, child soldiers, revenge, etc. And other topics like genetics, memetics, morality, to name a few. METAL GEAR games try to mix realism with the supernatural. Honestly, it's more supernatural than realistic. You've got flaming flying whales eating helicopters, cyborg ninjas, a vampire, a guy who controls and spits out bees, a nuclear equipped walking tank that sings VOCALOID, it only gets crazier from here.

Here's an official timeline of METAL GEAR games (by release date, not story), and their protagonists!

OphwieA.jpg

*click me to view the full size!

VABGcYl.png

mg_msxiru6b.png

METAL GEAR
Release: July 1987
Platform(s): MSX2, PS2, PS3, PSVita, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii VC, Mobile

The game that began the METAL GEAR franchise. Taking place in 1995, combat rookie Solid Snake is sent into 'Outer Heaven', a heavily armed fortress in South Africa. Basically a suicide mission, Snake is tasked with destroying METAL GEAR, an incredibly dangerous weapon lurking somewhere in the fortress.

mg2_ssj1ugl.png

METAL GEAR 2: SOLID SNAKE
Release: July 1990
Platform(s): MSX2, PS2, PS3, PSVita, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii VC (JP), Mobile

The sequel to the original hit. METAL GEAR 2 takes place in December of 1999, and Solid Snake returns once more to infiltrate the military stronghold Zanizibar Land. Snake's task is to rescue Kio Marv, a talented biologist.

mgs_info52uj4.png

METAL GEAR SOLID
Release: September 1998
Platform(s): PSOne, PSP, PS3, GameCube (Remake)

METAL GEAR SOLID was not only a huge step forward in terms of the series, but for video gaming as a whole. Set in 2005, Solid's Snake genetic clone Liquid Snake holds the world ransom with METAL GEAR REX. His demand are the remains of Big Boss. Fearing the threat of a nuclear holocaust if Liquid's demands aren't met, the United States government sends in Solid Snake to Shadow Moses Island. A remote Alaskan nuclear weapons disposal facility. Alone with all weapons and tools OSP, Solid Snake must take down Liquid and save the world.

mgs2_info5ju9r.png

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY
Release: November 2001
Platform(s): PS2, PS3, PSVita, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Nvidia Shield

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY was one of the most anticipated sequels to a video game, ever. The E3 2000 trailers brought in huge crowds for every scheduled showing, and is considered a technical masterpiece, and one of the greatest games of all time. METAL GEAR SOLID 2 takes place in two separate years. Starting in 2007, Solid Snake boards a Navy tanker to expose the existence of a new METAL GEAR to the world. Later in 2009, field rookie Jack (code-named 'Raiden') is sent to rescue the president from a hostage crisis aboard a oil clean up facility "Big Shell".

mgs3_inforvof3.png

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER
Release: November 2004
Platform(s): PS2, PS3, PSVita, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Nintendo 3DS, Nvidia Shield

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER serves as a prologue entry in the METAL GEAR saga. Taking place in Cold War-era 1964, Naked Snake (Big Boss) infiltrates Soviet controlled territory to rescue weapons designer Sokolov. Snake's mentor intervenes and takes back Sokolov. Finally defecting to the Soviet Union. After a nuke is launched at Sokolov's lab, the Soviet Union is ready to plunge the world into World War III. If United States proves their innocence, the world is safe. Those conditions are that Snake must now sabotage Sokolov's weapon the 'Shagohod', and assassinate his mentor 'The Boss'.

mgs4fkplx.png

METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS
Release: June 2008
Platform(s): PS3

METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS acts as the 'series finale' for the METAL GEAR saga. Tying up loose ends, and opening up more, this game was meant for those wanting an answer to the cliffhanger ending to METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY. Set in 2014, the world is ravaged by war. Solid Snake, now dubbed 'Old Snake', is sent to the Middle East by his old commander in order to assassinate Liquid Ocelot. When that plan fails, Old Snake must now stop Liquid Ocelot from his plans of total world control.

mgs_pw33qhp.png

METAL GEAR SOLID: PEACE WALKER
Release: April 2010
Platform(s): PSP, PS3, PSVita, Xbox 360, Xbox One

METAL GEAR SOLID: PEACE WALKER is a fully portable METAL GEAR game originally released on the PlayStation Portable. This game marks strays away from the typical linear design of the game in favor of more short missions that you could choose from. Set ten years after the events of Snake Eater, this game follows the origins of Outer Heaven as Big Boss sets out to expand his PMC business known as MSF. Contracted out to remove military forces from arm-less Costa Rica, Big Boss discovers nukes are being brought into the country with terrifying AI controlled mechs behind the trigger.

mgsv_gzb0p0m.png

METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
Release: March 2014
Platform(s): PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC (Steam)

METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES serves as the prologue game to a two-part installation that makes up the entire story of METAL GEAR SOLID V. It is also the first game to utilize an open world/sandbox design in the franchise. Set several weeks after the events of Peace Walker (in 1975), two of Mother Base's members are held prisoner at a maximum security POW camp "Camp Omega". Fearing information about the location of Mother Base leaking, Big Boss infiltrates the base alone to rescue the two prisoners.

mgsv_tppuroa6.png

METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN
Release: September 2015
Platform(s): PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC (Steam)

METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN is the final game in the METAL GEAR series directed by Hideo Kojima. The direct sequel to the events of GROUND ZEROES, this game utilizes a complete open world and mission structure. Combined with GROUND ZEROES and this game, it's story makes up the whole experience of METAL GEAR SOLID V. In 1984, 9 years after the events of GROUND ZEROES, Snake awakens from a coma. Almost immediately after waking up, the hospital comes under attack in an attempt to kill Big Boss. After escaping, the only way Snake has to stand a chance against the forces that wronged him is to rebuild his army and seek revenge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
!--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whew! Those are a lot of games. These games all listed above are considered canon. Below is an image that is the official story line. Important: Hideo Kojima considers games directed by him to be more or less canon in the timeline. Games like METAL GEAR SOLID: PORTABLE OPS and METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE that build off existing story and adds itself into the universe aren't officially recognized by Hideo as being canon. Believe what you want, I'm just goin' by what the man himself says.

ZlD2xcV.png

shFu967.png

yP2dsx5.jpg

BEHOLD! These are some of the spin off games in the METAL GEAR franchise! Not in any particular release date, but here's a tid bit about each going left to right.

1. METAL GEAR SOLID | METAL GEAR GHOST BABEL

This game released for the GameBoy Color in 2000. It serves as an alternate story to the end of METAL GEAR (MSX). Not canon at all, but a really damn good METAL GEAR and GameBoy game. Don't let the aged appearance fool you, this is definitely worth playing.

2. METAL GEAR SOLID: PORTABLE OPS

The game that caused a lot of discussion about it's canon. This PlayStation Portable game (released in 2006), takes place 6 years after the events of SNAKE EATER. FOX as a unit has gone renegade, and Big Boss is labelled a terrorist. The CIA is after the Philosopher's Legacy and are targeting Big Boss for answers. It's a good game, however not required to understand the MGS series as no other entry references parts of the story.

3. METAL GEAR: SNAKE'S REVENGE
Is this even Metal Gear? What the hell is going on? This 1990 NES game serves as a sequel to METAL GEAR. But Kojima had no involvement at all. Ignore this.

4. METAL GEAR SOLID: THE TWIN SNAKES
This Nintendo GameCube exclusive is a remake of METAL GEAR SOLID. With MGS2's control scheme and updated visuals, this sounds like a great experience! However, with the incredibly laughable over the top cutscenes, rerecorded dialogue, and rather awkward controls this is a pretty easy game to recommend you pass on.

5. METAL GEAR AC!D | METAL GEAR AC!D 2

Released in 2005 and 2006, this PlayStation Portable trading card-based game is basically unrelated to all other games. It's easy to gloss over, but isn't that bad to play.

6. METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE
Released in 2013, this hack and slash game developed by PlatinumGames is an incredibly good addition to the franchise. Set in 2018, Raiden works for securing VIPs. After an attack from a rival PMC group Desperado that leaves Raiden critically injured, and kills his employer, Raiden seeks revenge. Do not miss this game. Trust me. It's great.

7. METAL GEAR SURVIVE

Is this even Metal Gear? What the hell is going on? It's the first METAL GEAR branded title to come out after Kojima's rather nasty split from Konami. Set in an alternate universe, hear me out. Mother Base gets sucked into another dimension by a portal that opens up right after Mother Base sinks at the end of GROUND ZEROES. I shit you not. There are zombie hordes, base building mechanics, and a carbon copy of Afghanistan's map from THE PHANTOM PAIN. Somehow there are references to the Diamond Dogs in the game even though it takes place in 1975 and Diamond Dogs aren't formed until 1984. Anyway, this hot trash is releasing in February 2018.

8. METAL GEAR SOLID: SNAKE EATER
Psst. Kid, what if I told you there is a Pachislot game based off MGS3? It's faithfully recreated with assets and animations, but exists solely for you to sink your money in. This game is just as an abomination as METAL GEAR SURVIVE, if not worse. So I protest on putting it in this OT aside from this mention.

ZXkvknX.png

Metal-Gear-Timeline.jpg

*There are several Metal Gears missing from this image. Here's a list of the missing ones and the game they are included in:

-ARSENAL GEAR (METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY)
-METAL GEAR D (METAL GEAR 2: SOLID SNAKE)
-METAL GEAR EXCELSUS (METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE)
-METAL GEAR G (METAL GEAR 2: SOLID SNAKE)
-METAL GEAR MK.II and MK.III (METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS)
-METAL GEAR RAXA (METAL GEAR SOLID: PORTABLE OPS)
-METAL GEAR SAHELANTHROPUS (METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN)
-METAL GEAR TX-55 (METAL GEAR)
-METAL GEAR ZEKE (METAL GEAR SOLID: PEACE WALKER)

LXfZm7z.png

We back, b o y s.

MGS DIscord: Invite (no limit)
https://discord.gg/2G6QNTJ

Enjoy the thread.

Last edited:

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thansk for the thread !

I remember the days prior to the MGS V release...Good times

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OuterGAF now became OuterERA.

I'll be constructing the OT within the next couple days. I didn't think I'd have to make it so soon lol. I thought I had to wait for OT4 to come and go.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Boi you better be posting METAL GEAR stuff from now on mate ;)
MSF is over and done, we're Diamond Dogs now.
Though, without the revenge and incompleteness.

Heh, I've been done with Metal Gear since Kojima Production's dissolving yet here we are...but what better place for us than this?

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, never been a part of the mgs ot community but thought it was time to introduce myself, like most people I've been a fan of mgs since mgs1 on the ps. And I guess im one of the few that actually loves mgs4. I've done a lot of work over the years reverse engineering the mgs games, releasing some tools along the way. The latest project I've been working on is decompiling the scripting language used in the game which is a custom language Uehera made named gcl( game command language, loosely based on TCL, I can post excerpts of decompiled code if anyone's interested). I'd love to share my knowledge one day on how the games work under the hood. Anyway I'm looking forward to making new friends here.

code

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, a MGS community, nice. Gonna say one of my favorite MGS is Peace Walker!

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Diamond Era, our new home. Looking forward to the OT Kinde

While, it's nothing new. I thought MatPat's theory on Snake Eater being VR missions Venom undertook. It explains some stuff but there are still so many holes.

Still, it was a good episode to watch.

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brotherrrrr! It's been too long!

Edit: Just so its settled
MGS2 > MGS1 > MGS3 > MGS4 > MGSV > MGSPW

Last edited:

Rajang

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

Palculator

Oct 24, 2017
Germany
The other day it dawned on me that I don't actually know who says "V has come to." in that GDC 2013 trailer for MGSV with Garbage - Not Your Kind of People. It's clearly a woman's voice, and probably a Russian-ish accent, but I can't think of any lady in either Ground Zeroes or The Phantom Pain who'd fit that bill. Even if it was some Pre-Joosten Quiet, it wouldn't make sense for her to say "V has come to." as Quiet at the time wasn't supposed to know about Venom. If it was Paz, then the Russian accent doesn't make sense, and there's the fact that she's dead. Dr. Strangelove doesn't have the accent either, and also wasn't supposed to know anything about Venom.

Thoughts? (Besides the obvious one of it being some cut character.)

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We doing ranks huh?

MGS3 > MGS2 > MGS1 > MGR > MGS GB > MGS4 > MGSV GZ > MGS PW > MGSV TPP > MGS PO > MGA > MG2 > MGA2 > MG

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Here is my ranking

Mgs 2 > mgr > mgs 1 > mgs 3 > peace walker > mgs gz > mgs 4 > portable ops > mg 1 > mg 2 > snakes revenge > metal gear document that was in mgs 2 > metal gear database > twin snakes >>>>>> mgs v tpp

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Whenever I think of MGS2, I think of Solidus Snake and then think that the VA (John Cygan) is gone... :(
This series had some amazing VA.

Also, AC!D series fan represent!

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thinking on it, I actually enjoyed Portable Ops more than Peace Walker in the end up...still the best MG games on handheld are still AC!D 1 and 2. The music for the AC!D games was so good as well.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AC!D was legit, AC!D 2 was where it was at. I think it was the first PSP game I ever owned and I invested tons of time on it, even used that 3D cardboard box thing that came with the game.

Portable Ops was legit too. I think all the PSP games were solid, with the exception of maybe Portable Ops+. I think I burned myself on that considering it was just an expansion pack back then.