• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018
Because you don't get to dictate how a person chooses to spend their time. If this person is happy to do a project like this in Dreams then who are you to come along and piss all over it and criticize them for not using a more traditional engine? That has nothing to do with this thread being an "echo chamber of praise only" and more to do with people reacting to a poor comment that's not in good taste.
A real complaint would be critiquing the actual proficiency of the level/creation. Bitching about why someone spends their time creating in this game and should just move onto different pieces of software (which they may not even have access to) is asinine.

But sure, it's just an echo chamber.

Where did I dictate what the creator should do with his time?

Such false accusations, not cool.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all not even subtle manšŸ˜’like I really don't get it with a group of ppl on here. Is it some weird thrill or something.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Can ppl just ignore that member.

On topic - This looks really really good. One thing about Dreams that I really like is the varied art styles possible. I was initially worried that everything will have this very specific dreams quality to it but so far the engine seems to be malleable to hide it well enough.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pre-Beta: "People won't spend time making stuff when there's other engines".

During EA: "Why are people spending time making stuff when there's other engines?"

Release: "Stop making stuff!!! You can't get away with this!!!."

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
You must not understand English then, because presenting a question, an alternative way of doing things, is not dictating.

Well I speak English very well and your comment was a backhanded putdown of the persons work in Dreams. Insinuating that their work was no good by saying they can do better in another engine and that they were wasting their time. It's also very presumptive for you to assume these people don't know that other engines exist and those would be options if they wanted to utilize them. This is what these people have chosen to do and Dreams is where they've chosen to do it.

Feb 10, 2018
Well I speak English very well and your comment was a backhanded putdown of the persons work in Dreams. Insinuating that their work was no good by saying they can do better in another engine and that they were wasting their time. It's also very presumptive for you to assume these people don't know that other engines exist and those would be options if they wanted to utilize them. This is what these people have chosen to do and Dreams is where they've chosen to do it.

You can't put new meanings to words just so it fits your argument. Nothing about what I said was a backhanded put down.
And yes I would presume (like you are doing) that the creator knows about these engines, hence why I was asking a question not making a presumption.
In his demo snake can't hold up tight against a wall, maybe other engines can make this possible.
Also when Somone is trying to remake a game the points of comparison are obvious, so I'm not "insinuating his work is no good" it's just a fact that there are some shortfalls compared to the original.

So you can continue with your false accusations as much as like, it does not make them true.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
You can't put new meanings to words just so it fits your argument. Nothing about what I said was a backhanded put down.
And yes I would presume (like you are doing) that the creator knows about these engines, hence why I was asking a question not making a presumption.
In his demo snake can't hold up tight against a wall, maybe other engines can make this possible.
Also when Somone is trying to remake a game the points of comparison are obvious, so I'm not "insinuating his work is no good" it's just a fact that there are some shortfalls compared to the original.

So you can continue with your false accusations as much as like, it does not make them true.

I know you're not going to budge so I won't argue with you any further on this point.

Keep in mind what you're seeing here is a work in progress, not a final form. Just because the current iteration is not doing something true to the original right now doesn't mean it won't in a later version. It's extremely important to remember that every single person is still learning Dreams right now. It's an entire game engine that's in its infancy and technically not even officially launched yet. You have to keep your expectations in check when being critical of a work in progress that's built on an engine that's also a work in progress.

Feb 10, 2018
I know you're not going to budge so I won't argue with you any further on this point.

Keep in mind what you're seeing here is a work in progress, not a final form. Just because the current iteration is not doing something true to the original right now doesn't mean it won't in a later version. It's extremely important to remember that every single person is still learning Dreams right now. It's an entire game engine that's in its infancy and technically not even officially launched yet. You have to keep your expectations in check when being critical of a work in progress that's built on an engine that's also a work in progress.

Yes, I hope it does improve, but I think we will see that there are some fundamental limitations to the dreams tool/game, which won't do original games justice.
Like I've already said I prefer original works in dreams.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes, I hope it does improve, but I think we will see that there are some fundamental limitations to the dreams tool/game, which won't do original gamed justice.

Nobody really cares about recreating the entire game. It's a showcase for the depth and quality of the creative tools, nothing more.
You know this, yet you keep derailing this thread with your familiar style acting like this thread is suddenly an echo chamber because your opinion is bad. Don't.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, I hope it does improve, but I think we will see that there are some fundamental limitations to the dreams tool/game, which won't do original games justice.

There are fundamental limitations to every single game engine out there. If a creator runs into one in Dreams then when making an original or existing IP then they can have fun in figuring out how to work around those limitations. They can work with others in the community to problem solve and come up with ways to achieve their vision. And yeah, Dreams will continue to evolve leading up to its official launch and beyond onto the PS5. Obviously Media Molecule can't say anything about post-PS4 support, but we all know it's coming.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
SĆ£o Paulo
I don't care about remaking stuff. I actually get really bothered by the hyperbole.
I went to the video super hyped. Then I got too see a walkable scenery with 1 single mechanic applied and no enemies.
So I'd appreciate some more accuracy when describing these things.
But yeah, Dreams is awesome so far.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Checking the thread, I can see the usual suspects and the usual arguments are already here.

Anyway, that's cool. I will check it tomorrow, I've been busy and I haven't been able to check Dreams in a few days, I wan to see what new things are there.

Feb 10, 2018
Nobody really cares about recreating the entire game. It's a showcase for the depth and quality of the creative tools, nothing more.
You know this, yet you keep derailing this thread with your familiar style acting like this thread is suddenly an echo chamber because your opinion is bad. Don't.

It's rather presumptuous of you to speak on everyone's behalf regarding weather they want to recreate a full game or not.
"my familiar style" oh please, I'm giving my opinion, like others have given a Similer opinion in this thread.
I'm not derailing the thread, it's been on topic, what I've been saying. Your personal smear attempts towards me are derailing the thread.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

His youtube channel suggests he just makes famous scenes using games. Previously using Minecraft and Lego.

And people have already made wall run, wall jump, wall-climb characters within Dreams, so I'm sure setting up an interaction with a wall isn't a limitation of the engine.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol Anthony Hopkins again saying 'why not real engines'. We explained this to you many times in previous Dreams threads...

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This kind of stuff reminds me of the "Look at this intro/scenario/stage remastered on Unreal Engine 4"
It's super cool and looks amazing, but just for a little time until we get over saturated.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Jesus this would've been nice on my old team. For what felt like forever we had to trust our creative director's "vision" which was a bunch of notes and sketches from our two concept artists. This is on a whole other level - this would even allow the creative director to showcase to the team what he's aiming for, instead of a bunch of needless back and forth with the art dept.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
This kind of stuff reminds me of the "Look at this intro/scenario/stage remastered on Unreal Engine 4"
It's super cool and looks amazing, but just for a little time until we get over saturated.

I'd rather take a few impressive looking projects/tests like this than the billions of LBP2 bomb survival and Wipeout levels.

Mosse

Oct 25, 2017
The "why not do it in UE4" arguments always seems to miss the point. It's easier to do these kinds of prototypes in dreams, especially if you haven't done these things before. You can also easily play and share your dreams creations on a ps4, if this was done in UE4 or unity, you wouldn't be able to play it on a ps4.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
get-hideo-kojima-achievement-metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-hd.300x140.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
These are always impressive technical feats but I'm tired of all the remake stuff and wish more people with some creativity would make their own new game idea without it being so common for people to just constantly remake established franchises. Afaik it's against the rules of the game to violate IP copyrights anyway.

But I'm really impressed how they got the graphics and feel down.

Perhaps they don't have a new game idea? Maybe they just want to create something they love? Maybe they're trying out the tools on something familiar before diving in with something new?

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Could you make an FPS with this? Like could you remake Halo CE MP in this?
I played some FPS games during the closed beta. This won't be a problem from a technical perspective.

I wonder how Media Molecule will handle projects that are using existing IPs. A remake of The Legend of Zelda for NES should be possible with Dreams, but would Nintendo allow such projects?

Oct 26, 2017
Media Molecule runs an hour long stream twice a week where they only show off original creations. Tons of creative stuff is happening.

Me, I'm kind of remaking a classic game but at least it's an obscure one.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
I mean I was always atrocious at making anything in LBP but found amazing the creative skills other people had. Really looking forward to this game.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope someone creates a world where all the people bitching in this tread about people making stuff can go live together.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reason people make clones is because it's extremely useful for learning how the tools work.

Trying to learn the tools while trying to make an original concept is so much more difficult than focusing on learning the tools first by modeling after someone else's work. Otherwise you're trying to figure out two very different yet co-dependent things at the same time.

These people aren't making these things for you. They're making them for themselves.

Might as well put your work online, though.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
The reason people make clones is because it's extremely useful for learning how the tools work.

Trying to leaen the tools while trying to make an original concept is so much more difficult than focusing on learning the tools first by modeling after someone else's work. Otherwise you're trying to figure out two very different yet co-dependent things at the same time.
Yeah, because doing a reproduction makes it easier for them to get automatic feedback of their skill and process as they can compare their reproduction with the real thing. It's like painting and playing music, in the beginning, you usually reproduce things before creating something original.

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Trying to learn the tools while trying to make an original concept is so much more difficult than focusing on learning the tools first by modeling after someone else's work. Otherwise you're trying to figure out two very different yet co-dependent things at the same time.
Yeah, because doing a reproduction makes it easier for them to get automatic feedback of their skill and process as they can compare their reproduction with the real thing. I like painting and playing music, in the beginning, you usually reproduce things before creating something original.

One would think something like this is so obvious, it doesn't need explaining, but oh well.