• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It seems that – somehow – the famous Nuclear Disarmament event in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has finally been unlocked in the console versions of the game. First reports came a few days ago from players claiming they got the scene on the Xbox One version on Christmas of all days (December 25th to be precise), followed by claims of the event triggering in the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions at around the same time. And today, owners of the PlayStation 4 version can enjoy the game's intriguing secret.

The event, a cutscene taking place on Mother Base, required all players on a server to abolish their nuclear weapons, so that the total number was down to zero.

Earlier this year the event was unlocked on Steam, but according to Konami, the nuke count had not reached zero on that platform at the time. It once again seems unlikely that the event has been triggered legitimately – after all, it is a strange coincidence it got unlocked on multiple platforms at roughly the same time. Konami stopped providing updates on current nuke count months ago, so it's not really clear what caused this sudden drop. The Japanese Metal Gear Twitter account is investigating the possibility that it was achieved illegitimately.

For more Info

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=32941

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
So would this trigger if I simply booted up my game or do I have to do anything more?

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Why are they "investigating"? Just let it be, Jesus Christ. They actively refuse to give fans some kind of closure, that's amazingly dickish.

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a trophy for this? Is it possible for me to just install the game and get the trophy right now?
There's no trophy for this. This is a secret 'ending'/'event' for when all of the nukes were disarmed. It would be quite silly to provide a trophy for that as it was unlikely for this to ever occur.

I believe you're thinking of the one you get for disarming a nuke, which I don't believe this would trigger.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reports suggest the servers got up and walked into the ocean, thus ensuring peace forever.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Zaz4QBl.png

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Imagine if chapter 3 actually would unlock now...would be gaming history moment talked about for generations! Never stop believe

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds legit imo,i'm gonna check it out when i get home.
But why are they investigating it anyway? It's not like there was a special reward or anything,just a bunch of hero points iirc.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If you've seen the cutscene, you've seen the cutscene. What's to investigate? You can't make everyone un-see it.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
At this point is there even any point 'investigating'? They should just let it be, let people have it because I doubt it'd ever unlock otherwise. Is MGSV even supported with new stuff anymore?

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I should really go back and finish 5 one day. MGS is my favourite series but after learning of the twist before I owned the game it kind of knocked the winds out of my sails and I only got around 10 hours in, it not really feeling like a metal gear game didn't really help either.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I just started MGSV up on PS4, tried to return to Mother Base and got the cutscene. Putting something like that into the game that people were likely to never see without this bug is such a cool idea, I can't wait to see what little touches Kojima does with Death Stranding.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Putting something like that into the game that people were likely to never see without this bug is such a cool idea, I can't wait to see what little touches Kojima does with Death Stranding.
Considering it was virtually impossible to get it without this exploit, I'll have to disagree.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I appreciate the effort, but running a MGS focused news site must be depressing these days.

- That boardgame tho! Eh!?
- All those GOTY awards that MG Survive won.
- So... what's Kojima up to?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Considering it was virtually impossible to get it without this exploit, I'll have to disagree.
Why? It's not like it's a new ending or introduces some kind of new story element, so you don't lose anything by missing it. It's just a cool little easter egg they put in the game on the extremely unlikely chance it ever happened. Imagine if people hadn't already data mined it from the game, it would've been a massive shock when it first occurred.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
The best dialogue and characterization of big boss in 5 and its for an optional cutscene most people never saw unless you went on youtube.

I guess that sums up the tapes too but whatever

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got it just now. When I booted the game, I was in the helicopter, went to Mother Base and it unlocked for me.
EDIT: I'm on Xbox One if that matters.