• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there patch notes? Did they add any of the extra details from the PC version (MB much more lit up at night, a lot more vegetation, etc)?

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently no downsampling for 1080p sets?

Sony should have made it mandatory, one of my regrets of getting a Pro.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
Considering it looked almost flawless already, I was really hoping this patch would increase draw distance and improve effects instead. Mah.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if(system.version == "PS4Pro")
{
hRes = 2560;
vRes = 1440;
}

Cerny was right, Pro patches have little to no impact on development time!

Considering it looked almost flawless already, I was really hoping this patch would increase draw distance and improve effects instead. Mah.

FWIW even the PC is, aside few extras like night lights on motherbase, a carbon copy of console versions, so it's not like there was tons of room to improve on the Pro version.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGS V on consoles had even worse draw distance, lighting, LoD, and shadows than the PC version, which was itself pretty bad. It's a pity they haven't tried to use the console's extra power to try and fix some of MGS V's rather glaring visual shortcomings. It's one of those games that gets a lot of praise for being 'well optimized" when that's just a fancy way of saying the environments are empty, and the draw distance on everything from shadows to grass is incredibly short even maxed out. You look through binoculars and it's like a sea of porridge spread before you with blurry rocks sticking out of it.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
if(system.version == "PS4Pro")
{
hRes = 2560;
vRes = 1440;
}

Cerny was right, Pro patches have little to no impact on development time!

FWIW even the PC is, aside few extras like night lights on motherbase, a carbon copy of console versions, so it's not like there was tons of room to improve on the Pro version.

These lights arent extra. It's a dramatically further drawing distance. There was a shiton to improve on that matter.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The difference is clear in a side by side, if it really is 1440p it should look really nice on a 4K display.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly from an analysis when the game came out, wasn't the draw distance dependent on the resolution?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for a better comparison than just a YT video, which might as well be the same thing.

Otherwise, 1440p does scale very nicely to a 4K TV so this will be welcome.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on guys they aren't required to have a patch for pro but here we are. The question is, what's the catch though? An subtle ad of MGS survival?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Come on guys they aren't required to have a patch for pro but here we are. The question is, what's the catch though? An subtle ad of MGS survival?

Not even an ad, Survive will most definitely have the same Pro improvements, this is just them retrofitting the same updates to the existing engine for TPP and try to curry some positive PR, which Konami desperately needs.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
I am hoping for a DF analysis but with the age of the game and what appears to be minimal changes that probably won't happen.

I guess I will just go ahead and test this on my break.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even an ad, Survive will most definitely have the same Pro improvements, this is just them retrofitting the same updates to the existing engine for TPP and try to curry some positive PR, which Konami desperately needs.
Yeah you're right plus they might add more micro transaction thing while they're at it.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1440p isnt that noticeable. I turned it on this morning and it looked slightly cleaner but thats about it. Didnt look sharp or detailed. very disappointing.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Considering it's an openworld game that runs at 60 fps, I'm fine with a 1440p presentation.

1440p isnt that noticeable. I turned it on this morning and it looked slightly cleaner but thats about it. Didnt look sharp or detailed. very disappointing.

I haven't seen it running on Pro yet, but 1440p is usually an immediately noticeable improvement over 1080p to my eyes.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These lights arent extra. It's a dramatically further drawing distance. There was a shiton to improve on that matter.

Was there? I started to play PS4 version because I had the luck to have access to the game 5 days in advance and restarted it on PC after 20 hours and didn't notice THAT much. View distance on PC was also disappointing to be honest.

Thanks for letting me know tho.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
VGTech say no downsampling in the description which is what happened with last year's PES.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

MGSV's always been such a smooth game, only 2 instances of drops in that entire video and both from cut-scenes.

Also the blurb under the video seems to reiterate 1440p on 4K TV's and no down-sampling for 1080p users.

Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain on PS4 Pro renders at a resolution of 2560x1440 when outputting at 2160p and a native resolution of 1920x1080 when outputting at 1080p (no downsampling).

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty big difference to me in that video.

Can't wait to check it out later.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
I just tried this during my lunch break and...

Is it just me or beyond the resolution change does it look like something happpened with the AA and/or depth of field effect?

I mean it could be just a result of the the higher res but things look different to me. This game somehow manages to be both sharp and blurry at the same time.

Trekkie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do u guys verify if it's 1440p on PS4 pro?

Sadly I'm one of those people who owns a 4k set/ps pro yet can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p most of the time....let alone 1440p

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
I played it earlier and didn't notice a difference ):

Wish they would have improved shadows and such more.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore

Sadly I'm one of those people who owns a 4k set/ps pro yet can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p most of the time....let alone 1440p
LOL..me too...

other than the PS4 Pro System fonts and other game UI elements.....which look REALLY sharp if they rendered on native 4K...i can't for the life of me tell the difference between 1080p, checkerboard 4K and 'TRUE' 4K...what with all the post-processing, AA and constant motion for real-time graphics.

obviously, they are alot of you that will just stop moving in a game and just stare at the screen looking for jaggies...i'm not sure whether to praise these guys for their obsession or not.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people

Pixel counting.

It's also easy to spot the difference if your setup is suitable for gaming in general. If you're sitting too far away without the right screen size you'll have a hard time noticing the difference. It's easy to tell if you're looking at the most far away objects and jaggies (any thin line in the distance). The best thing you could do is finding a game like ESO which can switch between 1080p and 4K immediately via selecting it in the options menu. I play on a 4K monitor so can tell the difference in resolution quite easily.