• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah just got done playing a couple missions and it is a noticable increase in resolution. I have a 4k monitor and it looks like it's at 1400p. I can see the details on Snakes beard a little better. No HDR support.

They could've done a better job but I'm happy we got something.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
How do u guys verify if it's 1440p on PS4 pro?

Sadly I'm one of those people who owns a 4k set/ps pro yet can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p most of the time....let alone 1440p

I suppose it depends on how big your TV is and how often you view 4K content. I have a 65'' myself and pretty much everything I view on it is above 1080p. Anytime I do go back to 1080p I find the image really soft.

They could've done a better job but I'm happy we got something.

Yea I think it's important to remember that this game is over 2 years old, made by a dev team that doesn't exist anymore and published by a company that barely releases games any more. A 1440p update on an open-world game that already ran at 60 fps is fine with me.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
Digital Foundry's verdict is in

In terms of upgrades beyond resolution and performance, it's slim to non-existent pickings here. The Fox Engine is capable of more - much more - as we saw in the PC version of The Phantom Pain, which allowed for super-high resolutions, massively improved shadows and big boosts to draw distance, delivering a much richer open world. In short, MGS5 clearly has scalability beyond resolution and none of these elements have made their way to the PlayStation Pro upgrade. And with no checkerboard or similar smart upscaling solution in place, this patch does feel like a barebones release. After all, as we established a long time back when we built a PC to the Pro's GPU spec, 1440p does seem to be the best natural fit for a straight, no-frills upscale to an existing PS4 engine.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the DF video:

Digital Foundry, if you read this, please always address if there's downsampling or not in your videos. There again isn't in Metal Gear Solid V, which you didn't mention in the video. Mentioning it over and over again might bring some general awareness to this issue. :(
I still don't understand why a developer would just randomely lock out a good portion of Pro owners from any benefits. I don't get it...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If all you have is a HDTV set, this patch is basically wasted bandwith. I seriously dont understand why developers dont use downsampling. Sony should at least have some sort of guideline regarding this. I mean, Im no developer, but is it that much harder to implement when you already increased the resolution?

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
i

FWIW even the PC is, aside few extras like night lights on motherbase, a carbon copy of console versions, so it's not like there was tons of room to improve on the Pro version.
Not true.

Much better drawdistance on PC
better AF
screenspace reflections.
Better shadows
HBAO+
Better AA solutions.