J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm ok with those rumored specs for the Switch version and only the Switch version. That's going to be my preferred platform for this, but that said, there's no good excuses for not improving on the PC, PS, and XB versions...

I just hope Switch can maintain 60fps in all of the games. It theoretically should be able to but not sure if the team working on this is going to be putting that much effort into it. Any credit for any of the quality of Konami's classic games goes entirely to the studios that handled the collections (M2!), and I'm not sure how things are going to go with more complicated 3D games...

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Glad they fixed that. The time I played MGSHD that shit was just really annoying.

I hope it plays and runs well on PC but I'm still wondering how will it manage to play comfortably without analog buttons.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Glad they fixed that. The time I played MGSHD that shit was just really annoying.

I hope it plays and runs well on PC but I'm still wondering how will it manage to play comfortably without analog buttons.
They could use the aim button. Press the aim button to aim, but you need to hit the action button to shoot. I tried to achieve similar with PCSX2 and RPCS3 but it didn't work since there's no real granularity in mapping for analog button presses, but I did pull it off in Dolphin for Twin Snakes.

If they did that one thing, most of the issues around the lack of analog sensitivity would be alleviated without having to bother with L3 and R3 or mapping the action buttons to the triggers and moving item menus to the D-Pad since that would get in the way of the slowest walking speed in MGS3.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018

They same way they did it over 10 years ago on xbox 360 (LS to raise and lower gun).

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I wish they would give us a 4x3 mode. I look at games the same way I look at movies, if it was originally meant to be played in 4x3, it should be available in 4x3.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of was to be expected considering this doesn't have to load from a slow-ass disc drive with dual layer discs. I assume this was a problem that basically auto-fixed itself when porting to a game running off an SSD/solid media.

It was not, it still occurs while running the previous HD collection on Series X. It was a bug introduced in the last port, unrelated to load times.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I wish they would give us a 4x3 mode. I look at games the same way I look at movies, if it was originally meant to be played in 4x3, it should be available in 4x3.
100% agree. I liked that they gave you a choice with the Shenmue rerelease, and it should be like that. That release even preserved the cutscenes in 4:3 regardless of mode, to preserve the original direction composition. It always bugs me when you got remasters that open up cutscenes with empty space to the sides, the area you were never meant to see. Throws off the original intent.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
100% agree. I liked that they gave you a choice with the Shenmue rerelease, and it should be like that. That release even preserved the cutscenes in 4:3 regardless of mode, to preserve the original direction composition. It always bugs me when you got remasters that open up cutscenes with empty space to the sides, the area you were never meant to see. Throws off the original intent.
Many video game fans would probably think this is silly but I really agree with you two. Genuinely something that bothers me about modern video game re-releases. There's so much handwringing about releasing TV and movies cropped in the wrong aspect ratio, but because video games can have theirs "unlocked" it's OK. Preferred even, and I have scene people complain that cutscenes aren't always updated for this. Yet really the spirit of preserving the original intent should be the same across all media. The choice should be there (especially since it isn't too uncommon for the odd 4:3 effect to not be updated properly).

Oct 28, 2017

with cutscenes, i agree, the way a scene is framed and visuals associated with it should be preserved as the original intent. with gameplay with a free moving camera, i completely disagree. you're simply limiting FOV at that point

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
One of the advantages of having very passionate fanbases is that they'll note very weird quirk or bug :p.

DyCy

Oct 25, 2017

I agree, if only for the sequence after the final boss in 3.

On PS2 the black bars went away which told you implicitly that you had to shoot. On the HD version you still have the sound cue but there's no visual transition between the cutscene and the "gameplay" so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of first time players got confused for a few seconds at this part.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, does that mean that the codec delay issue originated from the og xbox version? I'm confused.
He's comparing the original version of Xbox without the codec lag (right) to the one posted by Konami on Twitter (left).

The version with the lag is the already existing HD Collection, which is not shown here.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/ApacheSmash/status/1684172581262471169

It's the HD Collection, he even says it's an edited clip in the tweet. I don't actually know what editing his HD footage is supposed to prove.

I would read the entire thread.

What you posted is him showing the HD Collection lag, and later in that same video the original Substance version without the codec lag. The comparison video is from that last part of Apache's video (original Substance) and the Master Collection version Konami uploaded.

Also, I think you misread his tweet. What he says is not that it's edited, in fact he says "why would they even care to edit this? If anything, it shows it's been fixed": https://twitter.com/ApacheSmash/status/1684177809357283333

May 15, 2019
I would read the entire thread.

What you posted is him showing the HD Collection lag, and later in that same video the original Substance version without the codec lag. The comparison video is from that last part of Apache's video (original Substance) and the Master Collection version Konami uploaded.

Also, I think you misread his tweet. What he says is not that it's edited, in fact he says "why would they even care to edit this? If anything, it shows it's been fixed": https://twitter.com/ApacheSmash/status/1684177809357283333
I was thrown off by the "press back button" in his Substance clip because it's the original Xbox version instead of PS2, and 95% of his minute and a half clip being the HD Collection on 360.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, and I know it's been a minute since this collection was announced, but there are no known plans for a physical release as of now, correct?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, and I know it's been a minute since this collection was announced, but there are no known plans for a physical release as of now, correct?

There are, day and date and sold at traditional retailers.

Fxq4MJA.png

The game will have a physical release on all three console platforms—though the Switch cart will require a download.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
There are, day and date and sold at traditional retailers.

Fxq4MJA.png

The game will have a physical release on all three console platforms—though the Switch cart will require a download.

Pretty sure it's getting a physical release. I've seen it on online retailers.

Thanks for the reply's. After seeing your posts I checked Best Buy and saw they had them up for preorder. Got one while they were there.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I guess I'm playing 5 (7?) Metal Gear games. Sure glad nothing else is coming out for the rest of the year! (cries)

Music so good.

Cefalü

May 23, 2022
PS4 version is still marked on ESRB but they haven't announced anything yet.
It could be an error but still in a month they haven't updated it.

CQMEf7F.png

nded

Nov 14, 2017
What would block PC gamers from cranking the game's resultion up?
PC games can have hard resolution limits. The original Dark Souls PC port is limited to 720p/30fps without third-party tools to circumvent it (shoutouts to Durante and the other PC gaming folks driven away from this site). Ultra Street Fighter IV renders at a maximum resolution of 1080p no matter what display resolution you choose and there is no known way raise it.

sw26

Oct 27, 2017
Possibly extremely late to the party on this, but just noticed the samples of the "Digital Master Book" on the official site, looks really great and the type of thing I would absolutely buy a physical version of but sadly seems unlikely to happen. :(

Hopefully it's actually on the disc/cart and not just a web link which could theoretically disappear at some point.

MGS Sample
MGS 2 Sample
MGS 3 Sample
MG 1 and 2 Sample

miguelfcp

May 6, 2022
Portugal
Konami could tell us technical details of this. Which resolution and frame rate (would he great to have 120fps mode but I admit that these games wouldn't benefit too much, are not that fast to have high frame rate)

Nov 5, 2017
Konami could tell us technical details of this. Which resolution and frame rate (would he great to have 120fps mode but I admit that these games wouldn't benefit too much, are not that fast to have high frame rate)
I'm worried that sadly framerates higher than 60 FPS won't be possible, correct me somebody if I'm wrong but those games usually had their logic mapped to the framerate, so higher framerates would break the game sadly. :/

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Konami shares previews of new music included with pre-orders for Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1

View: https://youtu.be/S12IAJgDDtY

A bit shame if they're instrumental only, but damn that sounds amazing.

I'm worried that sadly framerates higher than 60 FPS won't be possible, correct me somebody if I'm wrong but those games usually had their logic mapped to the framerate, so higher framerates would break the game sadly. :/
Well, we don't know that for sure, and it probably varies game by game. MGS3 was originally (sub) 30, but they got it running at 60FPS in the HD Collection, so it might be possible it push it further. I don't think 120PFS matters all that much here, but it would be certainly cool to have MGS1 at 60. Not expecting it to happen, but we'll see.