• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
@ProfessorKhai

giphy.gif

THIS. FUCKIN. GAME. xD

This is gonna be one of those games where your imagination will be highly rewarded.

Check out some of the things I did with my friends, summoning Ray, making zombies slide straight into blades or doing double homerun with frag grenades. :D

Last edited:

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
This game makes my OG PS4 sound like a jet engine. I wish the beta was PC. Also the controls are worse than MGSV which had great controls.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
THIS. FUCKIN. GAME. xD

This is gonna be one of those games where your imagination will be highly rewarded.

Check out some of the things I did with my friends, summoning Ray, making zombies slide straight into blades or doing double homerun with frag grenades. :D

This is just amazing. I'm so hyped for this game.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But the Ray is from 2007, how is it possible it's in Survive? So the game now it's totally non-canon or what?
Ok, there's this alternate dimension thing, parallel to GZ which is settled in 1975, but the Ray is from 30 years in the future.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
But the Ray is from 2007, how is it possible it's in Survive? So the game now it's totally non-canon or what?
Ok, there's this alternate dimension thing, parallel to GZ which is settled in 1975, but the Ray is from 30 years in the future.
The game is as canon as are the MGS1 & Raiden levels in Ground Zeroes.

Last edited:

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I had a quick go yesterday. I have to say the game is not user-friendly. Most menus are hard to get or to understand the purpose of. Single player is also impossible past the second wave unless I'm missing something, how are you meant to deal with waves from all sides + bomber that charge at you all by yoursef?
I have to say though that the avatar creation is amazing, best one I've ever experienced.

Edit: just realised the avatar creation is straight out of TPP online (which id' never played) so the only thing I was impressed by is directly lifted from MGSV lol.

Last edited:

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

The wormholes aren't fixed in time other than where things end up after they enter. Things can come from all over in time and end up in this alternate dimension.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
This is just amazing. I'm so hyped for this game.

Haha thanks!

I had an open mind towards Survive but after playing the beta it's honestly even better than I expected and that's just horde mode, I bet free-roaming and scouring for resources is gonna be even more fun for me, just trying to survive.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
How is it possible that Mother Base has the diamong logo on it? And so on and so on.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
I had a quick go yesterday. I have to say the game is not user-friendly. Most menus are hard to get or to understand the purpose of. Single player is also impossible past the second wave unless I'm missing something, how are you meant to deal with waves from all sides + bomber that charge at you all by yoursef?
I have to say though that the avatar creation is amazing, best one I've ever experienced.
I think it'd be fine if the beta was the first few hours or something of the game i.e. where it actually introduces you to all the mechanics. Instead, it just drops you right into the middle, where a lot of mechanics are unlocked, so you have a ton of stuff to work with, which makes it pretty overwhelming.

I found the menus to be a major pain in the ass when I first started playing this demo, but after putting in a few hours - everything is surprisingly clear and detailed. Easy to tell the important information, access crafting requirements, upgrades etc.

Same goes for the difficulty - at the point we're at in the demo, in the full game we'd already know the basics of the game, how to make use of what we build and whatnot.

The first few times I tried playing the Easy mission on solo - I couldn't beat the first wave. Afterwards I played a bit via matchmaking, which helped me fill up my resources and get the hang of the building & melee combat.

Now I'm at a point where I can solo the Lvl20 Normal mission if I put in the effort and it's a helluva lot more fun than it was when I first loaded this up!

I suggest trying out quick match, to play with other people, till you feel confident in taking up the first mission by yourself.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Has there been any indication yet as to what we get in the full version for playing the beta?

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played a match and hated it...then realized the game starts you with ranged weapons in your supply. Pulled out the bow and began to have a blast. Wasn't expecting this to be so much fun.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I have only just found out about this, when does the BETA finish?

Edit: just realised the avatar creation is straight out of TPP online (which id' never played) so the only thing I was impressed by is directly lifted from MGSV lol.

I agree, I am trying to play now, but I have no idea what is going on really.

Last edited:

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I am trying to play now, but I have no idea what is going on really.
Few things I wish I knew first going in:
  • The current mode that's up is 3-wave protect the target (drill) from zombies.
  • Before the zombies start coming, build and setup gates, traps, turrets, etc.
  • In between each round are bonus objectives. The bonus objective after round 2 (marked by blue on the map) has Walkers you can pick extract that makes the last round much easier. They're also just fun to play around with.
  • After character creation, you have multiple weapons and armor pieces waiting for you in the supply cache of the waiting room.
  • At the end of each match you get XP (crystals) and supplies. In the waiting room, you can level up your character via XP and level up your weapons via supplies at the workbench.

Kobra_Zer0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure i'm doing something wrong because the "easy" mission seems pretty hard solo, i upgraded my stick a couple of times but there's just too many dudes too handle alone. Am i supossed to lose the driill a few times in order to upgrade my equipment? Because that doesn't seem that much fun. I might go read a tutorial or something but right now this is a pass, i didn't find it very engaging.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I'm pretty sure i'm doing something wrong because the "easy" mission seems pretty hard solo, i upgraded my stick a couple of times but there's just too many dudes too handle alone. Am i supossed to lose the driill a few times in order to upgrade my equipment? Because that doesn't seem that much fun. I might go read a tutorial or something but right now this is a pass, i didn't find it very engaging.

It's because this is a multiplayer beta, so even the easy mission is balanced for multiple players.

That said, it is possible to overcome it solo without the resource miner taking damage once you have upgraded your characters stats, weapons, and armor.

Nictron

Nov 27, 2017
Murrieta, CA
No drive-by posting.
Is this a good place to say how Konami is nothing with Kojima and how Konami is a pile of crap that only makes pachinko machines?

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I think it'd be fine if the beta was the first few hours or something of the game i.e. where it actually introduces you to all the mechanics. Instead, it just drops you right into the middle, where a lot of mechanics are unlocked, so you have a ton of stuff to work with, which makes it pretty overwhelming.

I found the menus to be a major pain in the ass when I first started playing this demo, but after putting in a few hours - everything is surprisingly clear and detailed. Easy to tell the important information, access crafting requirements, upgrades etc.

Same goes for the difficulty - at the point we're at in the demo, in the full game we'd already know the basics of the game, how to make use of what we build and whatnot.

The first few times I tried playing the Easy mission on solo - I couldn't beat the first wave. Afterwards I played a bit via matchmaking, which helped me fill up my resources and get the hang of the building & melee combat.

Now I'm at a point where I can solo the Lvl20 Normal mission if I put in the effort and it's a helluva lot more fun than it was when I first loaded this up!

I suggest trying out quick match, to play with other people, till you feel confident in taking up the first mission by yourself.

Thanks, I watched a couple of streams and read up other comments on this forum and I've been getting better. I'm still not a fan of how the menus are set-up, I still find I have to work against them but I was able to beat the first mission by myself a couple of times now. Getting the walker with the side mission helps as well.

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
THIS. FUCKIN. GAME. xD

looks like a pretty cool coop base building sorta game; also they have a metal gear in it, so I guess now the title isn't "wrong"

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Few things I wish I knew first going in:
  • The current mode that's up is 3-wave protect the target (drill) from zombies.
  • Before the zombies start coming, build and setup gates, traps, turrets, etc.
  • In between each round are bonus objectives. The bonus objective after round 2 (marked by blue on the map) has Walkers you can pick extract that makes the last round much easier. They're also just fun to play around with.
  • After character creation, you have multiple weapons and armor pieces waiting for you in the supply cache of the waiting room.
  • At the end of each match you get XP (crystals) and supplies. In the waiting room, you can level up your character via XP and level up your weapons via supplies at the workbench.

I freely admit that I have rushed into the game, but should a game like this really be this seemingly complicated?

On looking for the controller button layout I found the page with a list of tabs on the side and had to click through each one to find out what each button combination did, why not just have a single page or two with a button map.

It just seems to me that a lot of different things have been thrown together and they are just seeing what sticks.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I freely admit that I have rushed into the game, but should a game like this really be this seemingly complicated?

On looking for the controller button layout I found the page with a list of tabs on the side and had to click through each one to find out what each button combination did, why not just have a single page or two with a button map.

It just seems to me that a lot of different things have been thrown together and they are just seeing what sticks.
´
I don't think it's that complicated. The full version will probably ship with an in-depth tutorial, so things that aren't apparent here may make a lot more sense then.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so baffled by people finding this complicated. I guess I've just played enough video games to "get" how to play without 2 hour long tutorials and hand holding.

White area loaded up I tested every button on the controller to see what it does. Went to the storage and changed gear , moved things into slots , etc.

Easily loaded up the easy mission solo, snuck a little, got a bunch of resources, and made it to objectives with a few mins till drill starts up. Tested to see what the tables do and realized once is defenses and the other is weapons and ammo.

Then I built a bunch of fences and easily used them to make a fort around the drill. Survived and repeated the waves, did side tasks , etc.

Tried it in co op after then I leveled myself up , learned skills , etc.

The game is intuitive IMO. Only the both touch pad buttons down to invert controls is not intuitive .

Maybe folks just aren't used to being dropped into experiences and figuring it out anymore. Not the games fault IMO.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Did you check your stash? The game gives you all the stuff you need to beat 3 waves. Make sure you equip the gear that gives you extra gadget slots.

This is how I did it:
1st wave: you can beat with just the pistol and sledgehammer upgraded with the special spin move attack (square on PS4).
- do the ammo run after the 1st wave.. it will spawn an ammo refill crate next to the drill.
2nd and 3rd wave. Basically just place obstacles at choke points in the path of the zombies to slow them down and start picking them off. You may need to experiment with the placement and mix of obstacles. The sledgehammer spin move is really good for when they are about to break through a barrier or fall off that sloping ramp wall opposite of the building.

Deleted member 35777

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
So it's smarter to build defenses outside the base on the coop missions so the drill doesn't destroy them between rounds.

Why didn't I figure this out sooner.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I played for few hours and thought it was pretty boring, then came back to it and played for 5 hours straight trying to S-Rank all the missions, I think I like it.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like the beta. In a lot of ways it feels like years of Steam early access zombie survival drivel is finally being realized in a proper game.

Does it really need 10000 different resources you need to gather to craft stuff though?

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funneling Zombies in to floor traps so they are all crippled then dropping on them to instakill with an axe is great

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
Had a blast playing with randoms in the beta, this game is gonna be so sick with friends. I hope the pc port is not buggered, but MGSV ran fine so here's hoping.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Game finally clicked, especially once I gave into the concept of this SUPPOSED to feel like a constant struggle, hence Survive :)

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded beta late last night and spent an hour or two playing it. Not bad. Kinda wish I saw the tutorial before trying the easy mission solo to get a better idea of what to do. Quick match wasn't so bad either. Still have to try one more mission but I probably won't clear it with a squad