• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Welp.

I'm pretty sucked into this. Feels ashamed of my words and deeds, but its pretty fun & intense overall. +1 at this thing being deeper than expected. Did the daily mission with an experienced group and it was a blast. Seems like there is some heavy strategy involved when you are in the high levels. Knowing where to barricade or what traps to set are vital to survival.

Depending on the reviews I might buy in day one or shortly thereafter.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm so baffled by people finding this complicated. I guess I've just played enough video games to "get" how to play without 2 hour long tutorials and hand holding.

White area loaded up I tested every button on the controller to see what it does. Went to the storage and changed gear , moved things into slots , etc.

Easily loaded up the easy mission solo, snuck a little, got a bunch of resources, and made it to objectives with a few mins till drill starts up. Tested to see what the tables do and realized once is defenses and the other is weapons and ammo.

Then I built a bunch of fences and easily used them to make a fort around the drill. Survived and repeated the waves, did side tasks , etc.

Tried it in co op after then I leveled myself up , learned skills , etc.

The game is intuitive IMO. Only the both touch pad buttons down to invert controls is not intuitive .

Maybe folks just aren't used to being dropped into experiences and figuring it out anymore. Not the games fault IMO.

The UI and menus seem so disgusting to navigate if you are new to it. Its just overly complicated managing inventory and all that. The tutorials have failed me. I put a ton of time in so far and I'm still figuring it out.

Only today I found out you can get Revival Pills, Materials, and First Aid stuff from the Repository and not from the crafting tables. Its weird having a separate menu/inventory for crafting, storage, repository, current equipment and shared repository(? which i haven't figured out yet).

So it's smarter to build defenses outside the base on the coop missions so the drill doesn't destroy them between rounds.

Why didn't I figure this out sooner.

well shit thats a good tip. I thought it just wiped all the obstacles every round.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so baffled by people finding this complicated. I guess I've just played enough video games to "get" how to play without 2 hour long tutorials and hand holding.

White area loaded up I tested every button on the controller to see what it does. Went to the storage and changed gear , moved things into slots , etc.

Easily loaded up the easy mission solo, snuck a little, got a bunch of resources, and made it to objectives with a few mins till drill starts up. Tested to see what the tables do and realized once is defenses and the other is weapons and ammo.

Then I built a bunch of fences and easily used them to make a fort around the drill. Survived and repeated the waves, did side tasks , etc.

Tried it in co op after then I leveled myself up , learned skills , etc.

The game is intuitive IMO. Only the both touch pad buttons down to invert controls is not intuitive .

Maybe folks just aren't used to being dropped into experiences and figuring it out anymore. Not the games fault IMO.
I do the same thing. I sherpa my friends through betas like this. Nioh alpha was particularly fun.

This game is better than it should be. I was having a blast. Anyone want to play on PS4 in like 20 minutes?

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
A question that might have been answered but:
Will the full game feature more mission types for co-op, other than horde mode?

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Is it over? Friend lists and social tabs seen to not be working matchmaking is weird.

Last edited:

SausagePiano

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Tried it but was not for me... Can't see this getting a big playerbase.

Nulak

Nov 11, 2017
So if there something i really like about video games it's the ability to play around with in-game physics. Fox Engine is really powerful for that, i don't think it'll be useful to beat zombies but well:

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Well, gotta say I went in with fairly tame expectations, then went to "I'll definitely pick this up at some point" and now I'm sitting at "maybe even pick this up at launch."

Wonder if they'll show off any more mission/level variety before launch, would definitely like to see what kind of layouts the more "endgame"-ey levels will have.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
As far as I understood this, the single player is actually a really big open world that you run around in and parts of the singleplayer area are used as "maps" for the multiplayer, correct?
And the multi is only horde mode?

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
A question that might have been answered but:
Will the full game feature more mission types for co-op, other than horde mode?
I was also wondering this.

We've had way too much fun with it this weekend, ended up spending hours just trying to S rank missions. I hated it initially and it sucked playing alone but then after abit more time in coop we were having a blast.

Only thing I'm concerned about is mission variety - how many missions will there be? Any idea what classes there are to level up? What's the thing to keep you coming back? Are they all horde wave based missions?

I tried looking online and came back with nada so I'm guessing they're pretty tight lipped...

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

We've had way too much fun with it this weekend, ended up spending hours just trying to S rank missions. I hated it initially and it sucked playing alone but then after abit more time in coop we were having a blast.

Only thing I'm concerned about is mission variety - how many missions will there be? Any idea what classes there are to level up? What's the thing to keep you coming back? Are they all horde wave based missions?

I tried looking online and came back with nada so I'm guessing they're pretty tight lipped...
I don't know about mission variety but I think there are like 5 classes about.
And I do believe the multiplayer is supposed to be complimenting the single player. The SP is a lot more "survival" with lots of sneaking and such, while the MP is all guns blazing.

Huh, I just read that in the full game you can play the MP solo with bots. Huh.

KiNeMs

Dec 4, 2017
I'm so glad people are taking a liking to this game. With all the flak its been getting in the lead up. Its always looked like a possibly good game to me. Yes its obviously not a metal gear game. But it has never been intended as one.

Personally I think this is the best move Konami could have done with any thing with the Metal Gear name on it. This is the game to take the brunt of the backlash from the Kojima fallout. Can anyone imagine the uproar if the next MG game was a canonical entry into the Metal Gear universe. People (including myself) would have been up in arms at Konami for trying any Metal Gear story without Kojima. This game is a way to detach Metal Gear from Kojima, reinstall faith in the public towards their games development, and possibly gain trust in them handling Metal Gear moving forwards. I for one don't know what to expect from Metal Gear after this, and dont know if I could play another Metal Gear not spearheaded by Kojima. But if they pull this off it seems a step in right direction. Just worry about the microtransactions. Always online? Personally I couldnt care less these days. Complicated UI? Welcome to Japan. A like a UI with some depth and complicated systems.

Whens release date?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
One thing I can definitely say about this game is that it has a ton of little things that you'd expect from a Metal Gear game.
Like the above shown grenade physics and such. It clearly shows that the team who worked on this had fun doing this and made a game they like instead of just a soulless "make this cash in hop hop" as people expected.

I don't know if others agree, but I feel the game has "heart" just like previous MG titles.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This game is a way to detach Metal Gear from Kojima, reinstall faith in the public towards their games development, and possibly gain trust in them handling Metal Gear moving forwards.

I think this video shows that people are dead set on hating this and anyone who says even a slight positive on it:

And Angry Joe's Video on it was like "Feel free to dislike this video, guys!" Even before he played it.

No-one will give this game a chance and even if it was a GOTY-Contender (which it isn't...yet...), people would still hate it.

Meanwhile we seen nothing from Death Stranding and people already say it's GOTY for whatever year it comes out.

EDIT: Love how Alanah was like "I said NMS was not good before release...got slammed for it. Mass Effect Andromeda ain't good? Told I should be fired."

The community of gamers are sad sometimes.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Funnily enough basically every streamer I watched enjoyed playing the game with friends.
And none of them have even played/seen the singleplayer I think.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I think this video shows that people are dead set on hating this and anyone who says even a slight positive on it:

And Angry Joe's Video on it was like "Feel free to dislike this video, guys!" Even before he played it.

No-one will give this game a chance and even if it was a GOTY-Contender (which it isn't...yet...), people would still hate it.

Meanwhile we seen nothing from Death Stranding and people already say it's GOTY for whatever year it comes out.

EDIT: Love how Alanah was like "I said NMS was not good before release...got slammed for it. Mass Effect Andromeda ain't good? Told I should be fired."

Yeah, it's really weird. I let it get to me too, I tried it because it was free. I also didn't like MGS V for what that's worth. My initial impressions were super negative - the clunkiness and over complicated aspects of everything along with overall negative online sentiment made me pretty much give it a pass. But I had a buddy downloading it so we gave it a go in Coop the next day and ended up blowing hours on it and having a lot of laughs and a ton of fun. After this weekend I've insta-preordered, especially given how cheap you can get it.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Love how reception to this game is more positive than negative by people who gave this game a shot for more than 3 and a half minutes.

Needless to say that these obvious hate comments seen on Facebook and Youtube are just plain stupid. Childish behavior at its best.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Love how reception to this game is more positive than negative by people who gave this game a shot for more than 3 and a half minutes.

Needless to say that these obvious hate comments seen on Facebook and Youtube are just plain stupid. Childish behavior at its best.
And all we had was a very limited multiplayer only beta.
The full game having a big open world singleplayer that is much more about sneaking and surviving isn't even put into consideration by most people.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
I always assumed that this would be a pretty fun expansion to MGSV at the very least. I have no problem with this game existing and I eagerly await for the full release, my only real problem is that this is all Konami has done with the Metal Gear brand. If this game was coming out while Konami were still actively supporting MGSV and maybe finished the phantom episode, continued to support MGO3, and were maybe working on a legacy port to current gen consoles I think maybe this game wouldn't be so targeted. It just looks like a cynical cash grab by Konami, but you can see real effort was put into this game by the now downsized development team, and that there's still some talent behind the Metal Gear brand.

aember

Oct 26, 2017

I saw a few images on the MGS subreddit about the classes and it looks like it'll be the typical thing you can expect: tank-y class (shield icon), engineer class (wrench icon), medic class (plus icon), sniper class (crosshair icon) and the survivor (triangle icon), which will most likely be the jack of all trades.

e: here we go
89qH634.png

m0a16namvhb01.jpg

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I saw a few images on the MGS subreddit about the classes and it looks like it'll be the typical thing you can expect: tank-y class (shield icon), engineer class (wrench icon), medic class (plus icon), sniper class (crosshair icon) and the survivor (triangle icon), which will most likely be the jack of all trades.
I read somewhere that the crosshair is the "gunner" class which is all about using guns more effectively.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
Have to say I've done multiple 180s on this game. The initial announcement I disregarded it, then when I saw more I was interested. Then after playing the beta for half an hour I was off it, but after sinking in a few more hours, playing with other people, S-Ranking the missions, I think I could stand to lose a lot more hours with this. I'm definitely more interested about it now than I was a few days ago, just remains to be seen what the mission variety will be like and what other content the full game will have. Can't argue with a £25 price point either. If there's 40 hours worth of gameplay there, then it's worth it in my mind.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What enemy types have people seen in the missions?
I saw:

- Regular Zombie
- Armored
- Bomber
- Tracker

Anyone encounter others?

aember

Oct 26, 2017
What enemy types have people seen in the missions?
I saw:

- Regular Zombie
- Armored
- Bomber
- Tracker

Anyone encounter others?
Detonators.

They're suicide bombers that have backpacks full of valuable crafting materials if you can manage to kill them with a sneaky backstab.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I want to know this. I like the game but I am concerned about content....
We don't know about co-op.
All we know if the game has a full open world single player with a storyline and cutscenes that is focused more on sneaking than on just tower defense and has you building up a persistent "basecamp" while exploring the harsh open world.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game will be a nightmare to find good reviews that analyze the game.

I'm going to have to wait on you all who are going in day one and streams to make some decisions on it.

I'm planning on purchasing two games in February and one is already locked. I liked this beta a great deal that this could be the second depending on what the full product entails .

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
So what is the general consensus? I really wanted to play this weekend but did not get a chance. Should MGSV fans be excited? The idea of a Co-Op MGSV sounds amazing to me, even sans Kojima.

Oct 27, 2017
So what is the general consensus? I really wanted to play this weekend but did not get a chance. Should MGSV fans be excited? The idea of a Co-Op MGSV sounds amazing to me, even sans Kojima.
I don't really care about the whole Kojima/Konami thing, but I had a real blast playing this game. I didn't even play with my friends most of the time, just with random strangers and it was always enjoyable. The worst thing you could've done in the beta was going straight into a solo salvage mission without playing around in the lobby, which is what lots of people did. I blame Konami for not putting in a tutorial that was easily accessible, especially for people not willing to give the game an honest shot.

The fox engine and gameplay system of MGSV is too good for it to be contained to only one game, so I appreciate it that I can play with it in a new game. The lobby and codec/gesture system gives the game a cool and laid back identity [PLUG THIS HOLE!], while simultaneously allowing you to communicate with randoms without a mic. The melee reminds me very much of Dark Souls in a way, since your approach is just as much or even more important than your level/attack power. Tactics is the name of the game here and I love it. The traps and defenses also help facilitate this feeling of "TACTICAL SURVIVAL ACTION"

Also, it's getting really fucking annoying seeing "fuck this game" comments and variations of that statement in whatever piece of media I see about the game.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haters gonna hate.

Tempted to buy this day one now just to help it out. Good games deserve a chance. This is a good one. Plus we will never get a full take on what happened for Konami to drop kojima and in the way they did. For all we know he's the issue .

Plus I doubt they wanted to ditch their gold goose .

Love kojima and his work but I doubt he's all innocent in how that panned out.

Plus none of that has any baring on this game which is a blast.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY

Its a far cry from the soulless cashgrab many are going to label it as.

You can tell the people who made it had some fun while doing it, and taking the MGSV mechanics and using them in a survival/tower defense setting has resulted in an odd but really enjoyable cooperative experience.

There's variety in your available tactics, different ways to evolve your character, a large amount of interaction between mechanics, all combined with satisfying gameplay and an interesting core loop of gathering, setting up traps, mining resources, defeating enemies, and building better items/weapons/armor with the spoils of your battles.

One of the main critisms seems to be the speed of your character relative to MGSV, but it seems people are quick to forget you play as a character in that game that has maxed out almost every stat in the game. Try taking a low level DD soldier out on a mission and you'll see the difference right there in MGSV.

Overall, I really enjoyed myself and will be picking this up day one to compliment Monster Hunter World, alternating between the two when I get tired of one.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

alanah <3

Good to know she was impressed by the late game. I had a feeling the late game stuff could get really interesting with the weapons and traps etc.

Lol it feels like the reactions here are pretty split.

The overall impressions, specifically as a game seem good/decent, BUT MGSV fans shouldn't be excited. This seems like a completely different thing and besides reused assets pretty much has nothing to do with the Metal Gear name. From what i've read, seen, and played this isn't really a Co-op MGSV. Its a zombie survival co-op game that uses MGSVs engine. So take what you will from that. In that respect, there are aspects of the game that I think MGSV fans could appreciate.

The overall lingering taste in my mouth is good. I hope my feeling is correct that we got a very very small portion of the game. We only got to see 1/5 classes, 2 maps, and i'm assuming maybe like 10-20% of the weapons and gadgets in the game.

I'm also assuming the "Metal Gear" parts are still hidden or haven't been shown. Hoping we get the throwback items like cloak, bandana, bee traps, etc.

Last edited:

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys. I remain hopeful. far more excited about Death Stranding of course. But the gameplay of MGSV transported into any kind of co-op game sounds awesome to me. I really loved the controls and mechanics of MGSV, more of that even without the genius of Kojima stil sounds like a ton of fun. I'll have to read some review and watch some videos to decide if it worth taking my limited time awayn from other games.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know where else to put this but, rumor has it that Metal Gear Survive is out there in the wild

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgears...rvive_was_found_by_a/?st=jddeai4a&sh=51035d60

I would exercise extreme caution if you don't want to be spoiled this time around because of the hate surrounding this game, which means more people will be asshats and try to spoil the game because #Fuckonami.

Is there even anything to spoil here? I mean trailers made it look there there was barely a story at all.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Is it substantial? Or is a long winded nothing-burger about crystal headed zombies coming through a dimensial portal?

Have a feelignt hat no one is considering this nonsense as canon to Metal Gear. It's too loony toons even for us Metal Gear fans.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Is it substantial? Or is a long winded nothing-burger about crystal headed zombies coming through a dimensial portal?

Have a feelignt hat no one is considering this nonsense as canon to Metal Gear. It's too loony toons even for us Metal Gear fans.
The producer of the game himself said that the game is a spin-off from the mainline V title i.e. not canon.

@0:26 here

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Playing a little of the X1 beta.

I've played the first beta on PS4 and I remember it running good. On the X1, you can see and feel the framerate not being consistent.

I played a co-op match with 1 other person and kept getting the message "network is unstable." Definite lag. Not a pleasant experience.

Anyone on PS4 have any opinions to share on how it runs?

Like I said in the other thread, I was able to pick up the full version earlier today for X1 but what sucks is I have to wait for the day 1 update in order to play.

I'm going to wait till I can actually play the retail game and see if the day 1 update makes things better. If somehow the PS4 version runs better, I'll get it on that.

It's a fun game and I was always going to get it day 1.

Oct 25, 2017
Tried this today with a friend. We both agreed that the mechanisms in this game are a mess: there are so many things outside the core of the game that compete for your attention that it's a slog to just get ready for a mission, only to find out you don't have gunpowder or some other important component. Also, the menus are somehow obligatorily confusing and horrible -- it seems like I had to search pretty hard to find the simplest things and equip them, that by the time I was actually in the mission it felt draining.

I mean, I'm a Destiny / Monster Hunter player, so it's not like I'm not used to spending a stupid amount of time in menus, but this game does a disservice to be so driven to set you into a loop that depends on doing stuff that is boring when there seems to be a competently made Horde mode behind it all.

A shame.