• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PlayStation 4 version only made it as far as number 13 in the individual formats chart and accounted for 68% of all sales, a legacy of the franchise still being closely associated with the PlayStation brand. The Xbox One version only got as high as 33.

UK FIRST WEEK SALES

• Survive sold 85% less copies in its debut week than Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • Survive sold 5% as much as MGS5 during the same period.
STEAM

This shocking performance was pointed out by GFK Chart-Track, and analyst Daniel Ahmad. Though digital performance could be better, Metal Gear Survive hasn't been doing well in concurrent player numbers on Steam, landing well outside the top 50, which typically reflects poor launch sales.

Steamspy Sales Data for Metal Gear Survive

https://www.google.ca/amp/metro.co....-massive-flop-new-uk-sales-chart-7342955/amp/

DW5uqZJV4AAAVEF.jpg

Not surprising giving the circumstances. But I wasn't expecting it to be down over Revengance.

There also

MG = KIA hidden on that chart

Mod Edit (Jawmuncher) - To better reflect the sales data on hand

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its just too weird. All the previews and lets play I've seen makes the game seem really dull. Looks like its nothing but busywork. And a spear.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I like to think it's because people know about the shit with KojiPro and Konami, but I'm pretty sure it's just because everyone thinks the game's a turd.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised really. Even if it is "good" it simply needed to be great to even try and win people over, appearing even as "good" would appear as "bad" in comparison to the other MGSs, which really from what I seen/tried, nothing about it seemed good to me, other than it used MGS Vs nice engine and really that they added new weapons/animations...

Hopefully Konami use this to point MG in a direction people would want, but probably not. They need to put MTs into it somehow and now they'll probably come to thr conclusion any MG without Kojima involved isnt worth doing.

Best I'm hoping for is remakes and/Or especially MGRising 2.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the game but this is no surprise at all. Most people made their mind up before it was even released.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't going to sell well even if it had good word of mouth. Which from people who played it, seem to think it's ok.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad. A decent game hit by non existent marketing and a political wars.

And some people think this will be the one that sends a message to konami, sure.

Edit: changed good to decent.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
I'd be surprised if people even knew this game existed. Outside the beta I didn't see it being talked about once outside of its event appearances. I don't know how you'd even attempt to market this but there should have been at least some focus on the survival and crafting aspects of the single player which I'm sure would have been of interest to some players. Most people just think this is some tower defense multiplayer game which isn't true at all.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I got a refund on Steam. All it did was make me want a real MGS game. The engine is so good.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised if people even knew this game existed. Outside the beta I didn't see it being talked about once outside of its event appearances. I don't know how you'd even attempt to market this but there should have been at least some focus on the survival and crafting aspects of the single player which I'm sure would have been of interest to some players. Most people just think this is some tower defense multiplayer game which isn't true at all.
It's been on the front page of Steam since it released for whatever reason.

Deleted member 1074

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expected it to not do well on steam, honestly people want good metal gear games not just ok attempts at a side game.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising giving the circumstances. But I wasn't expecting it to be down over Revengance.

I totally was, though. Whatever you ended upthinking about Revengeance there was hype surrounding it. Demo was good and it had the Platinum action pedigree.

Survive on the other hand is one of the biggest stealth releases this gen. I consider myself well-informed about launchs, even more than the average user on this forum, and only noticed it was coming out because of DF technical analysis.

OP
OP

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the game but this is no surprise at all. Most people made their mind up before it was even released.

A lot of fans such as myself, drew a line in the sand on ethical grounds based on Konami as a company.

Fuck Metal Gear Survive.

Nothing against the relatively few who stayed behind for a promotion, but the real continuation to Metal Gear in any sense is Death Stranding with Kojima Productions.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
It'll be heavily discounted and probably sell decently in the long run as a pack-in title. The retailer cost is just under £10, so it'll do fine.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hardly unexpected, but it's still a shame. The game really is fantastic for what it tries to do.

DW5uqZJV4AAAVEF.jpg

Friendly reminder that the names on that list are straight from MGS5 and are there for story reasons in Survive (though the order they're in is no doubt intentional), and the names of the director and designer are almost assuredly meant as humor within the team.

OP
OP

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't even know what that is going to be. The cult of Kojima is scary.

There's no cult, it's just that the bulk of Kojima Productions and the creative engine behind the series left a despicable company.

I find the people latching on to Konami, and using the history of a handful of those who remain to Justfy being stand for an IP to be weirder.

CRTXP

Feb 1, 2018
Brutal and Konami deserves it. But its a shame for the game because the game is hella fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the game had been great i doubt it would have sold well since it's chasing a trend that's basically been left in the dust in favor of BR.