• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now that they pretty much ended difficulty settings they can add, I wonder if Konami will release some sp content.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Now that they pretty much ended difficulty settings they can add, I wonder if Konami will release some sp content.
As much as I would love more Singleplayer content I suspect the sales numbers won't be enough for Konami to consider it worth the expense of development unless they already have it mostly done.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today's update is great. They gave everyone 10 Legendary Weapon kits, 10 weapons and gear and a free one day premium pass for the coop connection issues. I never had a single disconnect but this is very generous. Really like these devs. I get that they have to do this to get the few remaining players to keep playing but they can probably just say fuck it and move on.

They have also added new Epic weapons to the dailies and weeklies. Looks like the bow and spear, and have increased the drop rate. I have yet to get any epics so far after 85 hours in coop alone so hopefully some drop for me today.

They have also improved the survivor ratings which is a good change because the last 6 survivors i got well all below modest. What a waste of time that was. Hopefully they all drop modest or above now.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Holy hell at the difficulty spike on Ch. 19. Any tips for surviving the last minute?
Welcome to hell, lol.
Stock up on greneades and molotovs. Spiked barricades are your friend, those help a lot. I mined the upper area so I did not have to worry too much about those Wanderers frm above. When the mortars appear just be aggressive, run up and kill them. Use the Bombers to kill a bunch of Wanderers at chokepoints.

I was simply agresive in my last approach and that worked out for me well.

I have not played much further myself, but I do want to finish this. I guess it's not much more left now for the main story.

Last edited:

lcap

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to hell, lol.
Stock up on greneades and molotovs. Spiked barricades are your friend, those help a lot. I mined the upper area so I did not have to worry too much about those Wanderers frm above. When the mortars appear just be aggressive, run up and kill them. Use the Bombers to kill a bunch of Wanderers at chokepoints.

I was simply agresive in my last approach and that worked out for me well.

I have not played much further myself, but I do want to finish this. I guess it's not much more left now for the main story.

A single grenade takes out a Mortar, so save your grenades for that moment.

Thanks guys, I actually did things a bit differently, but after about 7 tries I finally managed it.

I tried to save on Spiked barricades for the last minutes and always left 1 Mortar alive, since with its shitty aim it was actually helping me a lot by killing the wanderers from the top.

Then, used my last barricades next to the digger and Rambo'ed the fuckers with my shotgun. Whew, really tense mission, my palms were sweating a lot since I lost my spear mid mission because of durability.

I've got to say, this game is the most fun I've had this year until now.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Thanks guys, I actually did things a bit differently, but after about 7 tries I finally managed it.

I tried to save on Spiked barricades for the last minutes and always left 1 Mortar alive, since with its shitty aim it was actually helping me a lot by killing the wanderers from the top.

Then, used my last barricades next to the digger and Rambo'ed the fuckers with my shotgun. Whew, really tense mission, my palms were sweating a lot since I lost my spear mid mission because of durability.

I've got to say, this game is the most fun I've had this year until now.

Good effort. The difficulty of that mission does come out of nowhere, but tbh I wish the campaign had more tense moments like that. You end up with some interesting stories.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Been away from playing this for a couple of weeks due to friends roping me back into Diablo 3. Had some time last night to play a solid session. Here's part 5 of my Let's Play series where I try to play more stealthily rather than fighting everything. The main quest that I do here is Chapter 12 & 13 where you defend a wormhole digger and open up a wormhole.
https://youtu.be/avb4yVZGPYU

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
If anyone is still having problems with a particular wormhole digger defence, namely Chapter 19, I recorded my own successful run of this mission that describes some of the things that I do that makes it easy with minimal special equipment.

Here are the tips that I put in the video description:
- Don't rely on spears hiding behind fences: spears are generally too slow at clearing large amounts of enemies because of their tiny hit radius
- Use sweeping weapons, namely one-handed weapons, which will allow you to quickly kill large numbers of Wanderers stuck on your fences from behind
- Bring grenades mostly to very quickly and easily kill the Mortars
- Place mines behind your fences and walls: the fences will gather enemies together so that, when they break through, a whole horde of them will be blown up by your mines
- Be aggressive: don't hide behind your walls. Circle behind your enemies to attack them unawares from behind. Killing the enemy before they reach your defenses preserves your defenses for subsequent waves
- Try to blow up Bombers in the middle of groups
- CQC skills are highly effective if you can pull them off. I don't succeed often in this video (and I completely forget that I can grab and throw them), but, when I do, it allows me to very easily take down large groups
- (Optional) Bring a machine gun turret as a last defense. Also, remember that you have guns (I forgot to use these)

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Just finished the single player story at level 33 with 44 hours played where ~25 hours were from a previous play through before I restarted my game, and I've played no multiplayer. Overall, I highly enjoyed it: loved more MGS V gameplay with a twist due to the special enemies, and I thought that the story, while forgettable, was sufficiently weird nonsense to keep things interesting. I mostly played stealthily trying to backstab or avoid everything (and, since I got to level 33 with this approach, I can say with confidence that you're not missing significant amounts of Kuban energy by not killing and harvesting every Wanderer that you see). During defence missions, I mostly used one-handed weapons (snuck behind enemies stuck on fences and killed whole groups with a few swings), mines placed behind fences, grenades for special enemies, flame arrows (so overpowered!) and molotovs for huge hordes, and shotguns for when things got hairy. Given my stealthy tactics, I never ran into issues with food/water/oxygen since I generally didn't waste a lot of time killing and harvesting all of the corpses of large hordes. If I were to give it a score at this point, I'd give it 8/10 where the main improvements I'd want to see would be more enemy variety earlier and more maps like the ruins that felt more unique with interesting map layouts. I hear that the game actually just starts now, so I'm looking forward to diving into the post-story content!

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
After 110 hours, I decided to trade it in.

Very fun game but it got to a point where I didn't log in for a few weeks. The updates they were offering weren't keeping me interested, tbh.

The game is $15 on PS4 and $20 on Xbox through Amazon. For that price, it's definitely worth checking out.

If they announce something awesome later down the road, maybe I'll come back to it.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Holy crap! This post-story content is no joke! And it's like a whole new game with new enemies! What the heck?! I just failed the 2nd "story" mission because I couldn't kill armoured enemies fast enough. And then there's the enemies that are immune to regular damage....

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Gahh game crashed twice for me yesterday during the second to last mission I think.
I kinda don't want to try again since this is frustarting. I put 36hrs into this game so far, I really want to finish this! Let me!
Also recurve bow, finally!

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
http://steamcharts.com/app/543900

I think the game is pretty much dead on PC.

The writing was on the wall when most of the modding community said they weren't going to bother kuch with Survive. Though maybe there were some changes to how the game runs that could be leveraged. So much of the potential of MGS on Fox Engine is limited by engine hard coded decisions they made when designing the game around working with the older consoles. It should have been easy to have friendly AI that fights with you but no..........

Oct 27, 2017
An update is coming to METAL GEAR SURVIVE on April 10 including a METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER themed event! Play "The Encounter 1964" event in co-op mode to get Battle Points to unlock new accessories, face paint, name plates and more.
DaDglKrV4AA3XOL.jpg

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the "The Encounter 1964" isn't as vicious as the rescue missions, my friend and I just couldn't get through those. I need those fatigues and jumpsuit!

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Umh, someone can explain me how those events work? I saw there were already events, but I never partecipated, so what I can expect?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I hate this kinda stuff, but I guess it's aimed at those who are really passionate about it. For the general mortal like me, such things are always a big tease one can not get :(

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Umh, someone can explain me how those events work? I saw there were already events, but I never partecipated, so what I can expect?
Essentially new game type temporarily available (at least that's how rescue was) and playing that mode gives you battle points, at certain tiers of battle point accumulation, you unlock goodies, some timed strictly available through the event others just weapon kits or material kits. Stuff like that

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Essentially new game type temporarily available (at least that's how rescue was) and playing that mode gives you battle points, at certain tiers of battle point accumulation, you unlock goodies, some timed strictly available through the event others just weapon kits or material kits. Stuff like that
Is there some event online now? Like can I farm those BP now so when this event will start I can spend them immediately on the new contents?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is there some event online now? Like can I farm those BP now so when this event will start I can spend them immediately on the new contents?
BP are only for that event.
Basically the event has a BP list, that goes from like 100 BP to 80000 BP. As you earn BP, you go down the list automatically unlocking stuff. You don't "spend" BP. You just unlock stuff on the list depending on the BP you are holding.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BP are only for that event.
Basically the event has a BP list, that goes from like 100 BP to 80000 BP. As you earn BP, you go down the list automatically unlocking stuff. You don't "spend" BP. You just unlock stuff on the list depending on the BP you are holding.
Ah ok, so basically is a grind party :(

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll wait until tomorrow to give a try to the new event and I'll uninstall the game. In the weekend I played it a bit, and I find the end-game is really, really poor.
Once you beat the two optional bosses, there's basically nothing to do. It's just an endless loop of "increase your level, get better gear, face stronger enemies, power-up your base", with no real purpose. I also tried the cooperative, and I barely found players. Nobody is playing it, it tooks like 20 minutes to find each match, those hard missions are nearly impossibile and getting an S rank it's a task on its own, I wonder how Extreme will be, since Hard is already hard enough. It's like the grind (for levels or gears) it's just to beat those missions, otherwise there's really no purpose. And still those green side-missions to rescue other survivors simply don't pop for me, I only get "a new container appeared", that's it. I still have just one optional dude in my base.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait until tomorrow to give a try to the new event and I'll uninstall the game. In the weekend I played it a bit, and I find the end-game is really, really poor.
Once you beat the two optional bosses, there's basically nothing to do. It's just an endless loop of "increase your level, get better gear, face stronger enemies, power-up your base", with no real purpose. I also tried the cooperative, and I barely found players. Nobody is playing it, it tooks like 20 minutes to find each match, those hard missions are nearly impossibile and getting an S rank it's a task on its own, I wonder how Extreme will be, since Hard is already hard enough. It's like the grind (for levels or gears) it's just to beat those missions, otherwise there's really no purpose. And still those green side-missions to rescue other survivors simply don't pop for me, I only get "a new container appeared", that's it. I still have just one optional dude in my base.
What purpose are you looking for from a coop game based around loot and gear?

The game's main end game is coop. Single player is just base defense every day and nothing else. They could probably add some more SP content but it's supposed to be a coop game. I sometimes have problems finding games but usually find games within a minute or two. It could be that you are still trying to find Easy or Normal games and most of us are max level already and playing Hard missions. But if thats the case then join the reddit discord group and find people there. once you hit level 45 you can start queuing up for Daily or weekly Hard mode missions and you shouldnt have a problem finding games there.

Hard is super easy when you level up and get some good gear. You arent meant to solo it but i have 2 manned these missions and even when you have to kill bosses while defending, it's pretty manageable once you unlock Auto turrets and legendary elemental weapons. I just put down the auto turrets on chokepoints with some traps and high durability fences and go take care of the boss with whatever daily or weekly perk does more damage. it's fun, it's rewarding and challenging. What more do you want from an end game?

As for distress missions, you just have to sleep. Go to Africa. Sleep for 6 hours and check side missions. if you dont have 20 survivors then just sleep in Afghanistan until the side missions pop up. be sure to talk to your crew members to get these side missions. Rinse and repeat.

I have been playing for almost two months now. I have done all base digs. All rewarded me with some great base facilities, weapons like auto turrets and barricades, and now i just AFK them for field manuals everyday. I use the field manuals to level up my crew who then give me lots of bonuses while crafting, dismantling and defending my base from attacks. it's a very nice and rewarding loop most GaaS games lack.

There are four classes to unlock after finishing the story, each with some really great unique perks that allow you to experiment and switch up your playstyle. to me, the purpose is to unlock these class perks, unlock epic gear, and prepare my base for harder base digs in the future.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this new event is just like regular mission, and the only difference is you get BP points to spend on items, which are rather expensive. I did a mission, got only 125 BP, it takes a shitload of grind to get something nice. Also 20 minutes and can't find a single match.