• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Honestly, the gameplay isn't bad, but after playing The Last of Us, where the zombies/infecteds are an actual threat, watching this stupid sneaking and killing is sad. But what I cant really understand is WHO THE HELL CREATED THE FENCE MECHANIC. You just need to watch 30 seconds of 'killing zombies through the fence" to understand that it is BORING and LAZY.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN

Paz spends most of Peace Walker pretending to be underage, BTW. The entire Paz/Cécile/Strangelove triangle is bizarre anime nonsense. There's also the tapes where both Strangelove and Celice are somewhat evasive about how/why Celice was able to escape and the matter of Strangelove giving Celice personal baths.

I'm honestly surprised that the Australian censors didn't crack down harder on the Paz tape, because even with "She's only pretending to be underage", it would have triggered all sorts of red flags.

Welcome to the typical Japanese lore. lol
But yeah, i wanted to bring up the Paz doing it cause undercover but then I kept thinking about Kojima's tweet about Quiet's words and deed stupidity so I didn't eben bother.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the gameplay isn't bad, but after playing The Last of Us, where the zombies/infecteds are an actual threat, watching this stupid sneaking and killing is sad. But what I cant really understand is WHO THE HELL CREATED THE FENCE MECHANIC. You just need to watch 30 seconds of 'killing zombies through the fence" to understand that it is BORING and LAZY.
You can only carry a limited number of fences. Some wanders can climb fences. Some wanders can blow the fences up. They're intended for slowing small numbers of enemies down. They won't stop a swarm, which will knock the fence down in seconds.

How would you fix the fences while still preserving their core functionality -- slowing down enemies?

Samsquanchewans

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
Its not just that too, everything in this game is a chore to play vs. the quickness and responsiveness of Metal Gear Solid 5: TPP.

Want to kill a zombie? Upgrade melee weapon otherwise go kill these shitty zombies using the fence.
Want to run? Oh fuck you heres a 45 second cooldown to your stamina.
Want to pick up things? Oh heres another 3 second loot.
Oh wanna play MP? Heres a 5 minute wait if you havent found someone.
Oh wanna play? Heres another 3 minute on the lobby because your teammates are teabagging outside.
Oh poor you, hungry? Heres a camera effect that blurs the goddamn game so you wouldn't see shit.
Oh dont have anything above? Here's a fucking annoying robotic AI that sounds like that piece of shit from Skyward Sword.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How would removing stamina make Survive a better survival game?
If you removed that delay, people would run around looting items willy-nilly. Survive is built around time as a resource. They had to find some way of preventing players playing the game at their own pace. Since your resources are constantly ticking down, you can't just scrape an area from top to bottom. You have to pick and choose what is worth taking. Maybe they could tune it a bit, but allowing players to just loot everything in a room in a matter of seconds would severely undermine the mechanics.
Oh poor you, hungry? Heres a camera effect that blurs the goddamn game so you wouldn't see shit.
That should probably be changed. It falls into the same basket as the screen effects in Resident Evil: Revelations 2.

Samsquanchewans

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
How would removing stamina make Survive a better survival game?
It wouldn't however, considering how quickly your food/water/oxygen level depletes quicker than athletes trying to get a gold medal, we shouldn't be bothered with waiting for a stamina bar to hit green.

Even the Dark Souls/Bourne games does it better with Stamina, you can just use it as it rejuvenates and not wait for the bar to fill halfway, even with the upgrades, it still depletes quicker than it should have.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
But what I mostly meant that this is the only time he over sexualized a female and gave people a totally out of bounds fanservice. Especially with Quiet where her boobs are all over the place. Atleast with the former games you mentioned its not as apparent, sure with Paz there was one mission wheere you "date" her and she goes into her bikini but it isnt as apparent as these, same with Eva with MGS3.

Read above.
It's a great game but I guess you don't remember 3 too well

OP
OP
OniBaka

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
we shouldn't be bothered with waiting for a stamina bar to hit green.
That's just the person not managing their thirst properly, hunger and thirst you always eat/drink to 100%. It makes hunger and thirst go down a lot slower.

Everything is balanced around the games survival mechanics, it's not for everyone if you don't want to manage those but for those that do it's a blast. There's a lot of risk reward in exploration in the game that complements the survival mechanics.

Should you risk exploring a ruin and lose your progress or go back to base resupply but haven't marked the area so you won't know where it is again.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then there's The Boss and her ridiculous outfit. One of the trends in Kojima's games is strong empowered women that dress like strippers and everyone just nods along to that.
You mean the one moment where she shows a scar, you cant be serious. For 99% of the game she is covered from head to toe, is a complete badass and got awesome development, but because she showed a scar in the end for more actual character development she is a bad character? I think this is beyond nitpicking

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean the one moment where she shows a scar, you cant be serious. For 99% of the game she is covered from head to toe, is a complete badass and got awesome development, but because she showed a scar in the end for more actual character development she is a bad character? I think this is beyond nitpicking
There's EVA, too. And yes, the entire scar thing in MGS3 is silly. The secondary problem with The Boss is that her entire plan is incredibly stupid and is in fact a very generic anime plot twist-slash character archetype path. You see, you have a character who is seemingly a BAD GUY and hangs out with the BAD GUYS and early in the manga/anime/game beats the shit out of the main character but mysteriously leaves them alive or they get interrupted before they can deliver a death blow -- but they're in fact a GOOD GUY all along and their plan is that once the main character defeats or kills them, they're strong enough to beat the REAL bad guy. There plenty of minor variations, but the core elements of the cliche remain the same. This is bad plotting and bad character writing because it's a ludicrously improbable gambit. It's a cliche, and a bad one. The Boss would be a whole lot more badass if she wasn't an anime cliche. The same can be said of many of the characters in Metal Gear, to be honest.

I'm also reminded of this comic.
comic511f9jv0.png

Regardless, this isn't really relevant to the topic of the OP. On that topic, it's a shame that discussion of the game's mechanics has been framed by people who hate survival games, are determined to present the game in the worst light possible, or who simply make no effort to be creative with the tools given to them.

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm gonna have to agree with this.

Unless I'm remembering wrong the only moment you don't see the Boss in her head-to-toe uniform is when she's specifically showing off her Caesarean scar, and that's while she's telling a horrific story of giving birth on a battlefield after the trauma of being gutshot induced involuntary labor, so it's not exactly something I remember as a "hot" moment, per se. An undertone of the scene could actually be read as a sort of "Fuck you if this is titillating to you in some way."

Buuuuuuuuut, as I typed this a large cross-section of my image results for "the boss mgs" was depictions like:

So it seems like The Boss' "image" since MGS3 originally came out has been somewhat tainted by how Konami and licensees have depicted her afterwards.

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is there a story in solo mode? is it good? kojima good?

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I see of people trying to convince me this game is worth my time at all just makes me resent it's existence even more

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Just got home, had a pretty full evening. Thanks to OniBaka for posting this thread for me!

It's true, the best way to play the game is to just sneak around and backstab all the walkers.

But after 15 hours of doing exactly that same thing over and over you'll die of boredom.

The problem is there's no change, it's the same dumb enemies all the way through.
What you say is somewhat true: the actual mechanic of sneaking up on basic Wanderers and the new enemies isn't changed too much since it's still all about getting behind the enemies. I'd argue, however, that the addition of new enemy types changes things quite a bit. Grabbers drastically affect how you sneak around since you can no longer crouch run everywhere or escape as they might grab you when you flee, and Trackers make it so that you can no longer re-stealth so easily after being spotted. Watchers move their point of view a lot faster and with greater frequency than Wanderers which restricts your movement a bit as well. You knew about these enemies when you made your statement, right?

Hmmm. That was a good read. There's a lot of truth there, but I can't entirely agree, if only because I find the back-stab mechanic a bit nonsensical in terms of actually executing it, to the point I almost feel I'm gambling in order to pull off a successful stealth kill. There's already a gamble in going for the sneak attack, without having to worry about whether or not the trigger prompt will appear or not. But if that works for you, then that's good to know, and I'll see if I can change how I go about those stealth attempts in the future. By and large, though, I think I agree with where you're coming from. Personally, once I started playing the game - wave modes, in particular - like Sanctum, my enjoyment really picked up. This play style utilizes attacks from the rear, however, more so from a distance, with the assistance of various blockades interrupting the enemy's path. I don't really think this game is anything like the typical Metal Gear package, whether it be tonally, visually, character-or-story-wise, but I do believe that some of the defining features of MGSV's gameplay definitely shine through in Survive, with those elements being amplified and even improved upon in some respects for a solid entry within an exceptional lineup of spin-off titles, overall.
I'm not sure about the gamble that you're talking about. Backstabbing as an action works about 99% of the time where I sometimes screw up my timing on inclines. The only scenario that I can think of where the backstab might fail is when enemies turn as they become alerted to you when you crouch run within a metre of them. Regular Wanderers turn fairly slowly, thus you can usually just crouch run right to their backs and stab them. I've found that the special enemies turn a lot faster which prevents you from backstabbing them as easily, thus I crouch walk as I get close to them.

Ok but what is all that stuff you mentioned in service of? The overall gameplay loop and progression seems to be the big issue for me. From playing the beta and watching the last hour of the campaign, I was pretty shocked to see how similar they are. Killing waves of the same enemies by doing the same things, and then the crap final boss and pointless narrative.

I don't think anyone would argue that the game is at its best when you play it like MGSV, but when you don't have a reason to do any of it besides points I feel it lacks the pull to keep people playing
Most games are played for fun and amusement. Others like to get lost in a gripping story. Still others just want something to do to pass the time. I'd agree that the story is pretty meh in Survive and terribly executed. For me, the moment-to-moment gameplay is what I've been thoroughly enjoying for its own sake, almost like little puzzles trying to figure out the best route to backstab targets, order of operations, bypassing enemy defences (namely the other enemy types beyond the basic Wanderer), and finding ways to skip entire enemy encounters entirely. I've been highly enjoying how tense it can be weaving through a crowd of Wanderers and picking them off one by one with the chance that, at any moment, one of them will turn and spot me. Later in the game, I've also been enjoying how Grabbers create zones of slow movement, Watchers cut off some of my avenues of approach, and Trackers prevent me from re-stealthing after being spotted. Have you watched anything in between the multiplayer, base-defence beta and the final part of the campaign which (I hear - haven't finished the game yet) also involves a massive base-defence-style mission? There's a lot of game that happens to get from the start of the campaign to the end.

It wouldn't however, considering how quickly your food/water/oxygen level depletes quicker than athletes trying to get a gold medal, we shouldn't be bothered with waiting for a stamina bar to hit green.

Even the Dark Souls/Bourne games does it better with Stamina, you can just use it as it rejuvenates and not wait for the bar to fill halfway, even with the upgrades, it still depletes quicker than it should have.
If you're having trouble with stamina, then you just aren't managing it very well or you're low on water. Stamina regenerates if you stop using it UNLESS you deplete it to zero which triggers a brief cooldown. Just don't let it get to zero and then it works exactly as you seem to want it to. Also, if you're having problems with food/water/oxygen, you're wasting too much time somehow. Watch my video and tell me that my food/water/oxygen and stamina are depleting too fast.

The more I see of people trying to convince me this game is worth my time at all just makes me resent it's existence even more
I'm pretty annoyed at people, particularly the so-called professionals, throwing around falsehoods: I guess that makes us pretty even. Feel free to stay in your bubble and not read anything related to Metal Gear Survive.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can't play it like a Metal Gear game. The stealth is nothing like MGS.

You're sneaking up behind brain dead AI and using context sensitive prompts to kill zombies. That feels nothing like Metal Gear. It has none of the dynamic freedom or interesting stealth scenarios that you would actually see in Metal Gear.

- Picking and choosing your fights by avoiding large groups of 10+ enemies decreases how much time you spend on the encounters, thus conserving your food, water, and oxygen and other resources. It's not like you'd actually want to harvest all 10+ corpses, right? Waste of time.

You're crazy. There is no benefit to avoiding combat in this game. The kuban energy gains from enemy encounters is massive. Unless you're on the absoulte verge of death, you should always fight as much as possible. And if we want to be realistic, setting up a fence and poking all of them is far faster then going up to them one by one and stabbing all of them.

OP
OP
OniBaka

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
There is no benefit to avoiding combat in this game. The kuban energy gains from enemy encounters is massive.
There are huge consequences from killing every encounter and that is your oxygen tank. You waste too much time and then the kuban energy you gained gets used up filling in oxygen hence you have to be efficient and decide whether you kill everything or lure them away.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
You can't play it like a Metal Gear game. The stealth is nothing like MGS.

You're sneaking up behind brain dead AI and using context sensitive prompts to kill zombies. That feels nothing like Metal Gear. It has none of the dynamic freedom or interesting stealth scenarios that you would actually see in Metal Gear.

You're crazy. There is no benefit to avoiding combat in this game. The kuban energy gains from enemy encounters is massive. Unless you're on the absoulte verge of death, you should always fight as much as possible. And if we want to be realistic, setting up a fence and poking all of them is far faster then going up to them one by one and stabbing all of them.
You're going to have to be more specific with the kinds of "dynamic freedom" and "interesting stealth scenarios" that you're referring to. To me, Survive is just as good at creating interesting scenarios as MGS V was with it's somewhat braindead AI that were highly predictable and easily manipulated. In fact, in some ways Survive is better because the enemies don't follow a set patrol pattern that makes soldiers artificially predictable. You also have enemies that alter the stealth dynamic depending on the placement of fake-dead Wanderers, Grabbers, Watchers, and Trackers... all of which you knew about and the kinds of effects that they have, right?

And you're crazy for spending so much time harvesting corpses. And if we're just talking about getting Kuban energy, getting a 50% bonus per kill is well worth even spending a bit more time backstabbing them and saving a lot of time harvesting the corpses since wormhole extraction takes half as long. You also have to consider what you're harvesting Kuban energy for: how much do you actually need? What do level ups actually get you? As a stealth player, I don't actually require any of the upgrades provided by leveling up and require no equipment other than Kuban crystals as a lure. Almost all of the level up perks are combat-related and, to be effective in a base-defence-style mission, what you really need are explosives, guns, or MG turrets, none of which are affected by level-up perks (although, admittedly, there might be a level requirement on some of them, but there are plenty of opportunities to get Kuban without having to take on and harvest large hordes).

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing it like a stealth game until I get caught then it plays surprisingly like RE4 with the hit combos and stuns, especially later on.

It's like the weirdest sequel to RE4 ever.

Its not just that too, everything in this game is a chore to play vs. the quickness and responsiveness of Metal Gear Solid 5: TPP.

Want to kill a zombie? Upgrade melee weapon otherwise go kill these shitty zombies using the fence.
Oh wanna play MP? Heres a 5 minute wait if you havent found someone.
Oh wanna play? Heres another 3 minute on the lobby because your teammates are teabagging outside.
Oh dont have anything above? Here's a fucking annoying robotic AI that sounds like that piece of shit from Skyward Sword.

This is actually a lot of what I like about the game. I like that it isn't so fast and fluid like MGS5. It can be frustrating for sure, but it definitely adds tension especially in combat. I actually wish MGS5 had taken a middle ground and had some of the mechanics this does like the food, wound system, and some decent item collecting, though obviously not as extremely prevalent as it is in Survive but present.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
I thought one of the main criticisms for this game was that it ripped out the fox engine and put it in the most safe generic settings of this generation i.e zombie survival and sprinkled some MGS3 mechanics in there, I bet if it was released 5 years ago it wouldn't have been looked down upon as much by critics.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
You can make it a gag but gag or not, making a character you are writing call you God is both distasteful and full of yourself.
Don't forget he also put his name before and after every mission on MGSV.

And he is on the game too.

But watching his fans, they are probably praying every night to their Ludens nendoroid to have a new CG trailer with 0 gameplay of death stranding every E3.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
But what I mostly meant that this is the only time he over sexualized a female and gave people a totally out of bounds fanservice. Especially with Quiet where her boobs are all over the place. Atleast with the former games you mentioned its not as apparent, sure with Paz there was one mission wheere you "date" her and she goes into her bikini but it isnt as apparent as these, same with Eva with MGS3.

Read above.
In most cutscenes with EVA it instructs you to hold a button to stare at her breasts. I also like how you pretend MGS4 doesn't exist, between Naomi's outfit and various cutscenes as well as the Beauty and the Beast unit. You know, that unit of women modeled after super attractive models and put into skin tight outfits which can pose and dance for you in the game as well as seductively climb on top of Snake? Or the whole Meryl in her underwear scenes in MGS1.

Kojima is a perv and I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
This game inherited so much baggage beyond its control, that it never stood much of a chance. The Phantom Pain was in a weird situation where people upset at Konami and felt bad about Kojima. The tech and mechanics were great, but the story and characters were poor. Some missions were great because they let the aforementioned solid mechanics bounce off freedom of the world, but then there were many funnelled moments where the gamedesign was annoying. Konami tried to scrape Kojima's name from the marketing branding, which was shitty, but his name was quite literally plastered over the actual product, and he straight up made an appearance in Ground Zeroes. Hayter was done dirty in favour for a bigger Hollywood name, but the final performance we got was pretty lacklustre and barely present. There's the whole Quiet thing, punctuating a history of questionable female characters that are sort of cool, but are accompanied by big asterisks, during a time when female representation in games is getting more attention. The game was blatantly also unfinished, but clearly as a result of upper management telling them to wrap it up. With some distance between me and the game now, I'm not even sure if it was a bad call to shove MGSV out the door, because I'm not sure if more time could have salvaged it from being a horribly expensive dud. As far as I know, there's still not even clarification on whether Kojima was fired or if he left. Regardless of what happened, the NDAs and silence involved sure allowed to narrative to take soap-opera-esque forms uncontested.

All of this left the gaming press and community in this awkward position where they really wanted to pay tribute to an industry icon, but were given a very uneven game. MGSV's critical reception ended up being great, but with the inevitable backlash. Now that Survive appeared on the scene without Kojima, it feels like it was always going to be the sacrificial lamb for the pent up frustration. Granted I did not play it myself, but the people I know that did take the plunge say it's alright.

In most cutscenes with EVA it instructs you to hold a button to stare at her breasts. I also like how you pretend MGS4 doesn't exist, between Naomi's outfit and various cutscenes as well as the Beauty and the Beast unit. You know, that unit of women modeled after super attractive models and put into skin tight outfits which can pose and dance for you in the game as well as seductively climb on top of Snake? Or the whole Meryl in her underwear scenes in MGS1.

Kojima is a perv and I don't see how anyone can argue with that.
There's also Policenauts, which is easily his most problematic game.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
There's also Paz. And all the female characters in Policenauts. And all the female characters in Snatcher. His characters have always been terribly written. It's just most evident with the women. This isn't some recent thing where he's gone off the rails. He's been like this his entire career.
That snatcher ending was certainly something. Like kojima was hooked on harem animes at the time...

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has completed Survive, i stand by my opinion that the game is good and people are shitting on it unfairly because it's not a thing made with Kojima as part of the team. There is a lot of really enjoyable mechanics in the game and a few hours into it most of the problems regarding hunger/thirst/stamina/oxygen goes away, i didn't have issues with those mechanics. I think the story is good, it's certainly not trying to be as ambitious as other Metal Gear games, but it pulls off what it sets out to do.

The only t hing i really dislike about the game is the dumb microtransactions, there is zero reason to buy into them and it has the unfortunate side effect of locking players out of the character slots. That being said, i think the game was worth the $30 i paid for it, i got my moneys worth.

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
As someone who has completed Survive, i stand by my opinion that the game is good and people are shitting on it unfairly because it's not a thing made with Kojima as part of the team. There is a lot of really enjoyable mechanics in the game and a few hours into it most of the problems regarding hunger/thirst/stamina/oxygen goes away, i didn't have issues with those mechanics. I think the story is good, it's certainly not trying to be as ambitious as other Metal Gear games, but it pulls off what it sets out to do.

The only t hing i really dislike about the game is the dumb microtransactions, there is zero reason to buy into them and it has the unfortunate side effect of locking players out of the character slots. That being said, i think the game was worth the $30 i paid for it, i got my moneys worth.
It sounds like it's very difficult to approach.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017

It's really not. The game is great, pretty lengthy and the microtransactions don't hamper whats there. You can tell they want to hook whales simply because they exist but I haven't even noticed anything trying to get me to buy anything.

The game does start sort of slow and unforgiving but once you get towards the middle and end (especially the second location which is way better than Afghanistan) it gets sooo good.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, that is a player generated character and the game actively punishes the player for dressing like that since they are not getting the armor benefits of proper clothing you can craft.

Completely agreed, the game does not do a good job in the first few hours to introduce the player to the different mechanics of the game and it can be very off putting. Once you get over the initial battle with hunger/thirst and actually plan missions into the dust, the game becomes much better and creates some really tense moments.

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
It's really not. The game is great, pretty lengthy and the microtransactions don't hamper whats there. You can tell they want to hook whales simply because they exist but I haven't even noticed anything trying to get me to buy anything.

The game does start sort of slow and unforgiving but once you get towards the middle and end (especially the second location which is way better than Afghanistan) it gets sooo good.

The game starting off slow and unforgiving is kind of exactly what I was talking about hahaha.

OP
OP
OniBaka

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The game starting off slow and unforgiving is kind of exactly what I was talking about hahaha.
There are tips to make it more forgiving, for e.g. there are sheep near the base and respawn every time you quit to title menu and go back in which will take care of your hunger problem. Also eat/drink to 100%, makes them go down slower.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was tempted to try it, but it sounds like a mega gamble.

Better to save my money for something a bit safer.

What's in the OP is spot on for what I saw in the Gamespot review in terms of complaints though, so maybe you're right.
Same here especially since it's been reviewing badly. There's a lot of people who liked the game but you can say that on all critically panned games.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017

Well it's not that it's difficult, just that it eases you into things and is really more about surviving at first, then it becomes more about how many of those fuckers you can kill and how can you do it in the most entertaining way possible lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Great job, Philtastic. Any chance you could do a similar video, maybe just 5-10 minutes in the endgame jungle? That should prove that Survive does stealth even better than MGSV at one point. For clarification: MGSV is in my Top 5 best games of this gen, but even I can see
the flaws. MGSV simply made you OP very fast:
-marking enemies
-slo-mo (I never used it)
-FOB supplying you with ammo and silencers
-the AI -although being good- can't cover the whole space -> you can simply sprint out of the danger zone when spotted
-infinite stamina and incredible sprinting speed which makes it even harder for the AI to put real pressure on you (sse above)
- that lethal sniper rifle with silencer that can shoot through armor
- you unlock the unlimited silencer for the trank-pistol rather early and the game at one point just doesn't have the means any more
to counter player progression (I assume this was also cut)
- FOB + that stupid swelling sound alarming you about enemy presence
- buddies

Sadly there was no hard-difficulty mode in the game. I would've paid good money just for optional Subsistance variants of all missions.

Now to Survive: Yes, the introduction of Survive is kinda rough, because it
a) pushes you to continue story chapters for unlocking QOL features (many players won't even realize this)
b) it bombards you with new features each chapter which makes it hard to keep up

This is a challenging game when it comes to gameplay-mechanics, not necessarily a bad game just because of this.
Don't Starve sits at a MC of 79 and puts you in the same position, you're constantly hungry and have to keep of track of numerous stats on a timer.
The thing people enjoy about survival games is the reward for overcoming those big hurdles and the down time and relief this brings. Once you unlock the Co-Op lobby in Survive, you can chill out there and craft, try out your arsenal and so on
without the timers pressuring you - just one example.

You guys remember how everyone praised Botw for it's open design and that you can determine your own objectives? Survive does the fucking same thing and really does something good for the whole stealth genre.
Let me explain: of course , it's zombies, you can't have a multi-stage mission design with this set-up, but the devs found a simple way to create interesting objectives that the player can follow if he wants to - namely the containers aka loot boxes.
This may sound pretty banal at first, but the concept in itself is brilliant. Let me assure you: you want to open those containers! So at first there are only those standard zombies placed around them and the mini game starts easy. But boy, in the end game
it takes one of those mortar zombies in vicinity plus the mini game on hard and this turns the whole thing into one of the most interesting setups for stealth I've ever experienced in this genre. Not to mention that the game demands you to use your entire arsenal:
you start with a basic weapon like the spear, then you get the bow, later on firearms. You can easily get into a scenario where you just can't decide to save your prescious bullets, because some enemy types will round-house kick you if you start using a spear or the bow - this game is about non-stop adaptation. That's the biggest misconception of this game and puts the "professionals" into a very bad light, if you ask me. This is not a "but Darks Souls has a story you're just too lazy to find it" situation. This game will kick your ass if you're not willing to learn the basics.

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope people and reviewers review it as what it is , a Spin off MGS game without inserting Kojima or mainline MGS games in every review

Oct 27, 2017
It's true, the best way to play the game is to just sneak around and backstab all the walkers.

But after 15 hours of doing exactly that same thing over and over you'll die of boredom.

The problem is there's no change, it's the same dumb enemies all the way through.

That is not true, there are many variations of enemies

• Creatures
  • Wanderer
    • Most common enemy type. Dangerous in crowds.
  • Bomber
    • Large head is bulletproof. Can be dispatched by shooting the legs, back crystal, or backstabbing. Inflicts explosive damage when head glows bright red.
  • Armoured
    • Bulletproof enemy with protective armor. Can be dispatched by removing its helmet via backstabbing or shooting it off.
  • Tracker
    • Fast moving enemies capable of leaping over obsticles. Inflicts damage with its spinning kicks. Very low health.
  • Mortar
    • Long ranged enemies capable of shooting granade-like crystals from its arm cannon.
    • At short range, its arm cannon fires shotgun-like projectiles.
    • Resistant to backstabs.
  • Crawler
    • Very low health enemies ususally in large groups. Can be found in enclosed spaces, ruins, and caves.
  • Watcher
    • Very low health flying enemies usually in open spaces or jungles that shoots projectiles. Emits laser lights for its field of vision.

Source is https://metalgearsurvive.gamepedia.com/Enemies

And most of them is not dumb. Dumbest enemies are obviously the wanderers.

Oct 27, 2017
MGS5 is not a metal gear game, and so by extension Survive isn't a metal gear game either.

Basically every Big Boss game isn't actually metal gear. Even MGS3 was pushing it a bit.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This game never had a real chance with critics nor public and its publisher didn't do any marketing.

It's a decent game though, thoroughly enjoyed my 20 so-so hours with it and finished its surprisingly serviceable story.
Thank you for summing up my thoughts 100%. It's been tough to put into words, especially with the nature of the internet and how people love to dogpile on anything and everything.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
That is not true, there are many variations of enemies

• Creatures
  • Wanderer
    • Most common enemy type. Dangerous in crowds.
  • Bomber
    • Large head is bulletproof. Can be dispatched by shooting the legs, back crystal, or backstabbing. Inflicts explosive damage when head glows bright red.
  • Armoured
    • Bulletproof enemy with protective armor. Can be dispatched by removing its helmet via backstabbing or shooting it off.
  • Tracker
    • Fast moving enemies capable of leaping over obsticles. Inflicts damage with its spinning kicks. Very low health.
  • Mortar
    • Long ranged enemies capable of shooting granade-like crystals from its arm cannon.
    • At short range, its arm cannon fires shotgun-like projectiles.
    • Resistant to backstabs.
  • Crawler
    • Very low health enemies ususally in large groups. Can be found in enclosed spaces, ruins, and caves.
  • Watcher
    • Very low health flying enemies usually in open spaces or jungles that shoots projectiles. Emits laser lights for its field of vision.

Source is https://metalgearsurvive.gamepedia.com/Enemies

And most of them is not dumb. Dumbest enemies are obviously the wanderers.
You can also one-shot armored baddies by spearing them through the eye opening in their helmet

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably put that on the "cons" side of my Pros & Cons list for this game.
Disgusting objectification of women is not a good thing my dude and wanting it is misogynistic.

This atleast is by player decision and not forced onto a main character.(I hope?)

Last edited:

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget he also put his name before and after every mission on MGSV.

And he is on the game too.

But watching his fans, they are probably praying every night to their Ludens nendoroid to have a new CG trailer with 0 gameplay of death stranding every E3.
Like I love the MGS series to death, it's one of my all time favorites and I still play MGSV, and I'm excited as fuck for Death Stranding and even just it's CG trailers. But putting people like Kojima on obscene pedestals gives them the confidence and arrogance to do this and all the other nasty shit.

You don't see Yoko Taro, another amazing(imo better)writer, appearing on stage with a fucking lightshow red carpet dedicated to himself.