• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory: Fuck Konami!

Apparently you have to pay 10€ (10 $ I guess?!) to create more than one save slot. Each additional save slot costs 10€

The german source in Gamestar.de

http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/meta...0-euro-nur-ein-spielstand-gratis,3326428.html

I don't have the game and I don't want to buy it but I think this deserves it's own thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JimSterlin...al_gear_survive_makes_you_pay_for_save_slots/

edit:

gtsdlhksvb.jpg
mod edit: thread title edited for accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for confirmation. Dick move if true, but given the dubious source and the general negativity surrounding the game I wouldn't be shocked if it was bogus.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not quite sure if I believe this, given that my understanding of how modern console accounts work, a separate account would have no awareness of the first account's save data, and therefore the game couldn't block you from creating another save that way.

But I might be incorrect about that!

Isn't this normal for many mmo games? I remember seeing this many times before on PC

It's normal to have a cap on the number of characters you can create - but to use WoW as an example, that cap is fifty.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't this normal for many mmo games? I remember seeing this many times before on PC
No, not in the slightest. There were some mmos way back in the day that charged for extra character slots but you still got 3-5 depending on the game, and creating alts back then we're somewhat useless due to how difficult it was to level just one character.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The article also mentions it can be bought with ingame currency as well?
I mean it's a bad move, but wrong headline there.

qtamir1

Oct 28, 2017
they should be thankful people buying the game itself... but no, they are so greedy they make a player pay extra for another save...

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why should you use a second slot anyway? I mean the business practice is atrocious but it seems like it is not even necessary.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
You mean the company that sold you insurance on virtual stuff in MGSV has another pretty shitty microtransaction is doing the same again?

Not shocked and I believe this news was out a few days ago, we should also shame MMO's that do the same then.

Survive is a good game from what I have played, the most negative stuff about it would be the micro transactions and the somewhat unnecessary forced online studs of the game.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been instantiated in one way or another many times before. It's common place in MMOs and is a bit more obscured in Diabo where extra character slots (saves) are locked behind expansions and additional ones are locked behind special editions of those expansions.

In both cases you're essentially spending extra for additional online storage.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
here is the post from the OT

gtsdl.jpg

As I said before, if you want to create a new character (avatar) and start the game from the beginning, you would have to pay 1000 SV. Someone else mentioned you may just be able to save up enough SV (if they give some away for free) to eventually purchase another slot.

Another thing, you can change the appearance of your chaacter at any time at your base, BUT you can't change the gender.

I can see why the beta would turn people off to the game. They threw so much shit at us. Not a good way to explain the game and all of its mechanics.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The article also mentions it can be bought with ingame currency as well?
I mean it's a bad move, but wrong headline there.

While they use the word "ingame currency" they don't mention being able to buy it with ingame currency, which implies that they actually mean premium currency

What makes GameStar a dubious source? It's a pretty reputable, 20 year old (print) magazine. Why would they make it up...

It's not english therefore it's not trustworthy.
Remind me of the "Is ERA Americentric thread?" please

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what MMOs sometimes do. FF11 and FF14 do this. It's not about save slots, its about maintaining databases.

Having said that the amount of data that needs looking after in an MMO eclipses what this game is likely to need, so its almost certainly a money grab.

EDIT: As shitty as this is, its not half as shitty as the twisting of the situation by hack gaming journalists.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"It doesn't matter it's just cosmetic"

That is why the boundaries get pushed like this....
I suppose the argument is that the only reason to have a second save slot is if you want to preserve your current character appearance. Or if you want a separate slot for your male/female character. Metal Gear Solid V only had one save slot, IIRC. I must say I'm not a fan of charging people $10 for functionality like this. Make them pay $10 for chicken hats or something. This stretches the boundaries of what constitutes "cosmetic", as you say.