• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Doom (2016) is an obvious one that comes to mind. Episode Gladio's fight music is metal as fuck too. "Otherworld" from FFX is often maligned, but I like it. "Devil Trigger" from Devil May Cry has a cool industrial metal sound, perfect for slicing up demons. The boss music from Legend of Mana is a pretty rocking tune with chugging guitars and double bass drums.

Check out the band The Black Mages, Nobou is part them and they do hard rock, sometimes metalish, covers of Final Fantasy fight music.

Edit: Powerglove! How could I forget Powerglove? They do heavy metal covers of video game music.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If covers are applicable I love me some SSH/Saitama Saisyu Heiki, who mostly does power metal with quite a bit of synth. I don't remember how I found his stuff around 15 years ago but he's remained one of my favorite artists over the years. He's done a ton of covers, worked on a handful of OSTs, and does a fair amount of original work these days (my collection of his work is at over 800 tracks and I know I'm missing some things...)

These are relatively modern works reflective of his current style and instrumentation.

Cover

OST composition

Original but daaamn this song is raw perfection after 1:50

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure series has a lot of metal. Here's a selection from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven:

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
For something other than just wailing guitars, check out the Slain: Back from Hell OST. 90's-sounding instrumental doom/death/gothic metal composed by an ex-Celtic Frost member:

Here we fucking go! I won't lie, the gameplay of this game was not perfect, in fact it was far from it, but I enjoyed the shit out of it through every last waking second just for the rigoddamndiculously fucking heavy tunes. The head banging after "slaying" the bosses too, fuck.....probably the most metal game ever made. I want a sequel, BADLY!
Check out, I have no idea if these bands are even around,

The Advantage
Minibosses
Daniel Tidwell
Descendants of Erdrick
Entertainment System
Metroid Metal
Random Encounter
The One Ups
Arm Cannon
Vomitron

Should get you down the rabbit hole

Good luck!
Thanks so much for the recommendations brethren! I'll check these out a bit later for sure.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Here we fucking go! I won't lie, the gameplay of this game was not perfect, in fact it was far from it, but I enjoyed the shit out of it through every last waking second just for the rigoddamndiculously fucking heavy tunes. The head banging after "slaying" the bosses too, fuck.....probably the most metal game ever made. I want a sequel, BADLY!
Not quite a sequel but same devs, check it out https://www.resetera.com/threads/va...reator-of-slain-switch-pc-ps4-xb1-2019.58866/
There's a demo on Steam too.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite a sequel but same devs, check it out https://www.resetera.com/threads/va...reator-of-slain-switch-pc-ps4-xb1-2019.58866/
There's a demo on Steam too.
Sweet lord baby Jesus why didn't I know of this?!? Downloading immediately, thanks for letting me know.

Also....the fact that it takes place in space makes me hopeful that it relates in some way to
Slain's ending, either a prequel or a sequel in some vague, spiritual capacity. That ending was such a weird mind fuck, so I was hoping they did something with it lol.
Thanks again.

EDIT:
Am I nuts, or is the protagonist the last boss from Slain?!!???!?!!?!?!! Cuz if so.....RAAAADDDD!!!!!!!!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Sweet lord baby Jesus why didn't I know of this?!? Downloading immediately, thanks for letting me know.

Also....the fact that it takes place in space makes me hopeful that it relates in some way to
Slain's ending, either a prequel or a sequel in some vague, spiritual capacity. That ending was such a weird mind fuck, so I was hoping they did something with it lol.
Thanks again.

EDIT:
Am I nuts, or is the protagonist the last boss from Slain?!!???!?!!?!?!! Cuz if so.....RAAAADDDD!!!!!!!!
No problem! And no I think they're different. But now that you mention it, Lord Vroll's outfit does resemble Therion's. Different hair styles and Vroll has elf ears though.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Falcom are one of the kings of rock in gaming - OP had good picks from them but here are a few more:

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
No problem! And no I think they're different. But now that you mention it, Lord Vroll's outfit does resemble Therion's. Different hair styles and Vroll has elf ears though.
Yeah too true, I see that the developer says they're unrelated stories as well. I got way too excited for a second lol. Game looks absolutely great though.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Was gonna mention Dynasty Warriors, though it's already in the OP. I'd still recommend checking out the soundtracks of the other Dynasty Warriors games as well as the spinoffs. Dynasty Warriors 9's soundtrack in particular doesn't get enough love: Super Solid Speedrun, Cry & Slash, Wall of Silence. Other picks: Eve (from Dynasty Warriors 4), Dual NRG (from Dynasty Warriors 5), Trick and Magic (from Dynasty Warriors 7 XL) Rule of Benkeism (from Warriors Orochi), Fist of Love (from One Piece Pirate Warriors).

I'd also highly recommend looking up Demetori. It's not a game series, instead it's a Japanese music circle that does heavy metal covers of music from the Touhou Project series of games. Their music never has vocals and despite the original tracks they cover not being originally rock music, they do an amazing job of making them sound like they are. Here's a compilation of some of their music.

Can't think of any other series that relies purely on rock music (that's not already in the OP) so here are some series that occasionally have rock / metal tracks. The King of Fighters series dips into rock occasionally. I haven't gotten around to listening to the whole series, though KOFXIV had a surprising amount of them. Some other choice picks: Departure from South Town, Belief, Survivors Under The Sky

Yakuza also has some good rocking tracks when it decides to have them. Other picks: Massive Fire, Broken Police Radio, Battle for the Dream, Isolated Fight

As for specific tracks

(Don't know how I got into listening to this, as I've never actually played UNiEST.)

(From NeverDead. Don't bother with the rest of that game's music, this is the only standout track)