• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Hi all,

I've never played a Metro game before but I've always been quite intrigued by them. I like horror, I like apocalypse settings and the games seem quite unique.

Both Metro 2033 Redux and Metro: Last Light Redux are currently available on the Nintendo Switch eShop 30% off. I'd love to pick one up, but I don't have a clue which one to get.

Is there one which is clearly better than the other? Or would you advise a newcomer to the series play one over the other? Any insights would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
2033 is the first game and Last Light is the direct sequel. Play in order.

(Also I preferred 2033 myself.)

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're both great games, play 2033 and save up to play the sequel

these threads always confuse me, unless the games are dramatically different, obviously you want to play them in order

OP
OP
Cudpug

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Thanks for the responses everyone : ) Is performance on Switch generally good?

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Games are too story heavy to be played out of order.
Also, Metro Redux is a revamped version with a lot of QoL improvements taken from Last Light, so you won't have any troubles by picking up the first title.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Honestly, get both. 2033 and Last Light are fairly linear experiences but are very entertaining. I don't think the plot of Last Light would make much sense without 2033's context.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How story-heavy are we talking with these games? I'm a gameplay-focused kinda guy, especially considering I don't have too much time to play games anymore, so I'd rather avoid anything with frequent five-minute cut scenes.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
How story-heavy are we talking with these games? I'm a gameplay-focused kinda guy, especially considering I don't have too much time to play games anymore, so I'd rather avoid anything with frequent five-minute cut scenes.
They're very much like a HL game in terms of story-telling but with a few scenes where you're not in control. Not to worry tho, 90%+ of the game is gameplay.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
2033 because it's the first and better game.
There are few cutscenes (only the intro and endings really) but there are long stretches of dialogue where you have limited control. The writing is really good though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cudpug

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I picked up 2033 Redux. I can see the appeal of the game and it has a good atmosphere,, but I'm finding it quite a frustrating experience. Lots of deaths because you didn't do exactly what the cutscene wanted, or audio glitches where dialogue cuts out before it properly explains what you're meant to do. I had to put on subtitles and it turns out I'd been missing lots of dialogue. In general I'm quite surprised people have said the writing is good, because unless I'm missing things the writing seems to boil down to me being told where to go and what to do by an ever-changing cast of barely fleshed out characters.

It's also dark - very dark. That works well during stealth portions, but during scenes where you need to follow a person or you die, it can get quite frustrating. It also seems like the shotgun is infinitely more useful than the other guns. It kills most enemies in one or two hits, versus six or seven from the other guns I have.

I've just started Chapter 4 and I think I'll keep playing, but i'm not sure if I'll get the sequel yet. Interesting game, but it hasn't really clicked for me, for whatever reason.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say the story is great, but it does what it needs to do. I most appreciated the game for its immersion. Play it in Russian voice over and put subs on! And turn the damn HUD off šŸ˜

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I got the physical copy of the set, which contains both games (both pop out as separate icons upon inserting card).

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Bought both on Eshop last week and I have to say that A4 has done a very good job on the ports.
Graphics and frame rate are top notch and it plays like a dream with gyro controlsšŸ¤¤

Oct 26, 2017
I got both in the sale and I am amazed at the port quality. Personally I'd get 2033 first and if you liked it Last Light as well. As others have said, last light is the better game though.