• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
vx1vA8F.png

Lmao

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
The bigger issue with this is that at least with Division 2, it's still available on various storefronts (e.g., GMG, Amazon).

Metro Exodus...won't be? Does EGS even have key redemption? They must, right?

Avoiding Inflammatory Language

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about the recent timed storefront exclusivity of Metro. While this news can cause frustration, please avoid inflammatory language or antagonistic rhetoric towards other members or towards devs/publishers. Be respectful of the fact that others may have different storefront preferences.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Thankfully this struggling publisher will get money to stay in business and this little-known game will gain precious exposure.

We'll see. Personally, I very much doubt it.

If they get a few more games like Metro for AAA quality and games like Subnautica for indie boundary pushing and they definitely will succeed.

I can't wait to see what happens if Cyberpunk is a timed exclusive to Epic. It will be a bigger meltdown than the Bayonetta thread.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good fuck steam, seriously
30% cut is just greedy
Imagine making this dumb post and claiming "monopoly"

When Epic is paying out of their fucking ass to monopolise the sales of this game.

You would be the first one throwing a shitfit if Valve did the same and would have no issues throwing "monopoly" around.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Exodus isn't getting a physical PC release in North America. That gives them the ability to offer a lower price.

So they switch to the Epic store because of the lower cut and to reduce the price, price which will only be reduced in the US while the rest of the world is stuck with the same old price.

That seems like sound logic.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait its cheaper on Epic Store? Good enough for me.
Edit: Except it isnt. £49.99, fuck off Epic and fuck off Deep Silver.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't just the bigger cut that Epic gives to devs, it's also Epic dishing out a shit ton of money to publishers that want to switch to Epic Store for a year of exclusivity. I can't reveal my source but I know that's how it was for one game, Epic paid a LOT of money for the exclusivity.
We don't need anonymous sources. An Epic employee (the guy who actually built steam tracker website) already admitted to this.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
You cannot buy it on Epic store in China? Does this have something to do with China's strict policies because it seems weird Epic would not want to get sales there too.

No. Epic decided to regionlock their launcher in China, because it seems they dont have a company registered in China unlike Valve which partnered with Perfect World to be able to continue selling all games in China.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The bigger issue with this is that at least with Division 2, it's still available on various storefronts (e.g., GMG, Amazon).

Metro Exodus...won't be? Does EGS even have key redemption? They must, right?
According to that Steam Spy dude, it will in the future, but Epic will encourage developers to not do that.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Epic store is not available at all in China.

OK, but does that have to with getting approval first or do they just want to keep ignoring potential sales?

No. Epic decided to regionlock their launcher in China, because it seems they dont have a company registered in China unlike Valve which partnered with Perfect World to be able to continue selling all games in China.

Thanks, that makes more sense now. I knew there was bound to be a reason.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some people on another thread called me "crazy" when I said that "no more 30% cut" could mean a cheaper game or a game with more content. LOOOOL.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
It's a planned feature, that does not currently exists.
Like basically everything about the epic store.

Lol - I don't see how this can be defended then. I buy a ton of Steam games outside of the storefront. And Steam doesn't see a penny of that revenue. EGS must have something in place in the next two weeks to make this justifiable.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
So I guess Deep Silver will do this with other titles too huh. Hope Shenmue 3 still comes to steam

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
What cheaper price are people talking about?
image.png

I'm Brazilian and this is what they are trying to take from me for the game:
image.png

I guess me being a dirty "third worlder" i don't deserve regional pricing or any kind of discount.
Thanks Epic and 4A.

And then people still wonder why there had been lower sales and increased levels of piracy in such countries in the recent past. This is bad, especially since proper regional pricing on Steam has actually helped to improve the situation.

In any case, I don't like Epic's tactics at all so they can expect me to either not buy the game for a long time or just get it from the inevitable key resellers at best.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
where can I purchase a physical PC copy (USA)?...the usual suspects, Amazon and Best Buy, don't seem to have it available...

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's great and all that it's $10 cheaper, but taking it off of steam is a pretty dick move. Steam has a guaranteed refund so it'd be pretty easy to purchase Metro Exodus on Epic Game Store if the customer decided that's actually what they want. Taking Metro down from Steam entirely goes against the sort of customer-friendly rhetoric used in the announcement. I hope it ends up being worth it to the devs, though it feels like a bad choice

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think the combination of having a better price point for Epic buyers and fully supporting existing pre-purchases on Steam make this pretty much a best-case-scenario for games falling into this transition window.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Valve had spun Steam off into a separate entity awhile back like Gabe had mentioned. There'd be a lot less idiocy surrounding what is an objectively hostile thing for most people.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
So they switch to the Epic store because of the lower cut and to reduce the price, price which will only be reduced in the US while the rest of the world is stuck with the same old price.

That seems like sound logic.

And the rest of the world will no longer be able to get cheaper steam keys later.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I had no real plans on skipping The Division 2 (the other big "exclusive" Epic moneyhatted), but this is a fairly easy skip for me. Even with the US-only (?) discount.

I think competition is good. Moneyhatting games at the 11th hour isn't competition--it's the exact opposite.