• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
what does 'Thread update: see Threadmark' mean?...where's the Threadmark...why not just update the first post...

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If my Instant Gaming preorder of Sekiro magically turns into an Epic Store key I'm cancelling my order either via their consumer support or just straight up PayPal support (which would definitely side with me since they'd literally not be offering me the exact thing I paid for).

And I just remembered Shenmue 3 is published by Deep Silver. I pre-ordered the physical PC version on Kickstarter. In the Fangamer survey it was refered as a "Physical Steam disc".

54qLRl.png

Deep Silver, I really hope you're sending me exactly that product. A "Physical Steam Disc".

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
All the cheap key sites are now offering Epic codes and not Steam. I hate this practice. Us English are also getting fucked with Epic prices. Sure, make it cheaper in the US but the same for us.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
earlier when looking at this thread it said physical copies still come with Steam keys but now it says physical copies come with Epic keys...they must have already printed and placed a ton of Steam keys inside those...so they're going back and replacing them before shipping it to stores?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
All the cheap key sites are now offering Epic codes and not Steam. I hate this practice. Us English are also getting fucked with Epic prices. Sure, make it cheaper in the US but the same for us.
yep, it's still available for sale on a few storefronts, but none have a discount.

you are objectively paying more starting now than you would have paid yesterday. Instead of getting the game for $40-$45 from any key seller, you are now going to spend *at least $50. Nevermind all of our non-US friends who are paying substantially more than they would have paid yesterday.

earlier when looking at this thread it said physical copies still come with Steam keys but now it says physical copies come with Epic keys...they must have already printed and placed a ton of Steam keys inside those...so they're going back and replacing them before shipping it to stores?
maybe so? I've seeing conflicting tweets. I think they will come with Epic keys though, yes.

kmg90

Feb 20, 2018
As a non PC gamer, can anyone explain why everyone says "it's no longer a buy" when a PC game skips Steam? Is the Epic Store really bad?
Why are people so pissed? Why do people give a damn about behind the scenes dealing? You get a game for cheap. Does the epic loader crash computers or something?
Why do people dislike this, for someone who doesn't understand? Isn't Epic making a good move for publishers and devs by lowering the retailer cut?
Can anyone explain why so many are agaisnt this kind of stuff on the Epic Store ?

To add to already mention reasons others and I are against it is that the account security of Epic Games is shit...

My Epic account got breached last year and my Bank account got emptied.... Over $600 of vbuck purchases in 30 seconds (that PayPal thankfully quickly reversed).

No, it wasn't using a password that I've been using on other accounts...

No, they didn't exploit or utilize forgotten password to get into my account because it's tied to my Gmail which has it's own unique password.

Even after turning on 2FA it was still getting breached

Including:

• Changing my account user name
  • Completely clearing my friends list and adding random accounts
  • Removing all account connections (PSN, XBOX)

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Few months, a year... w/e. Metro games usually get really high discounts during sales. Plenty of things to play in the meantime.
casually dismissing a year wait for people who 8 hours ago were expecting to pick it up on Steam or through a Steam key reseller in a couple of weeks depending on the review and performance scores as "w/e" is really disingenuous.

And we have no idea what kinds of discounts the game will see on the Epic store during this period of time.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Effectively Deep Silver had access to Steam audience and benefited from high number of pre-orders there and just before launch migrated to Epic Store for higher revenue share while also getting a nice boost in pre orders on Steam today. And this is after incorporating Denuvo few weeks a ago. Great. Never buying their games again.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Uugh, no thanks then. I'm probably a bunch of years away from trusting that store's security and future enough to start paying for stuff on it.

Oct 25, 2017
10 dollar savings is good no?

Not if you're in Australia (And I imagine many other countries). EPIC game store is arbitrarily hiking the price for Australian customers an extra $10 USD, for no apparent reason. Not just on Metro, but many other games too.

You also can't buy legitimate third party keys to try and save money / get price parity with the U.S pricing on EPIC store it seems.

I stopped pirating games entirely when I could get decent price parity. Nearly 400 steam games in my library at the moment, with almost half being AAA games...shows I put my money where my mouth is. But fuck EPIC games and publishers that have gone back to gouging Australians / niche markets once again.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Epic writing those big cheques lately.

I'm half expecting "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild coming to PC." (Update: Epic Games Store exclusive)

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Two weeks before release and they pull this crap. Epic Games buying exclusivity like this has made me sour on their store and has pretty much guaranteed I will never install it.

And what a scummy move by the developer/publisher. Just put your game out on all store fronts and let people decide where they want to buy it.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be depressed right now if I was a developer on the 4A team, alienating so many of the people that got them where they are today.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
This forum will go nuclear if/when Cyberpunk 2077 gets announced as an Epic Store exclusive.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Man, Deep Silver is one of my favorite publishers on Steam. They usually publish smaller, but promising games with good regional pricing. Metro doesn't have regional pricing on Epic store as of now, and if this is becoming the trend for the next games as well, the future is grim for me.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Just really poor move this close to launch. If you want to announce your game on Epic store.. fine go for it, I wont touch it but you can do that. To pull it from Steam this close to the games release is really the thing that just makes you hate this move. I can easily wait or you know what.. I will just watch on Twitch and they wont get a dime from me now. Hope that shovel of fortnite money was worth pissing off your fan base.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't even complete a purchase on Epic Games Store at the moment, was gonna grab this but it seems to be down or something.
Edit: All previous purchases are not in game library either. Still show in transaction history tho.

hamsterstyle

Dec 13, 2017
Again, the only store that could be exclusive to is GOG. Which I would be fine with.
Yes, I, too, believe the creators of GoG will give a middle finger to its mortal enemy, GoG, and sell on the Epic Store instead.

I would've thought that about The Division 2 and Ubisoft/Uplay too :( I think it's less likely with CDPR than Ubisoft, probably, but the possibility is still there

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I would've thought that about The Division 2 and Ubisoft/Uplay too :( I think it's less likely with CDPR than Ubisoft, probably, but the possibility is still there
The Division 2 is gonna be sold on Epic Store AND Uplay. They're just replacing the Steam + Uplay version with a Epic Store + Uplay version (which is such a non-sensical combo I can't see it selling more than 14 copies worldwide, but whatever lol). It's not an Epic Store exclusive. You can buy it on Uplay and have a standalone Uplay version like always.
Haha I actually appreciate the competition. Feel like Valve was getting a bit too comfortable with their dominance. I'll use both and grab whatever benefits me the most.
I don't think things like universal controller support, a Linux compatibility layer, tons of developing resources and APIs etc are signs of getting too comfortable with their dominance, but hey, opinions I guess.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it on Steam, to support 4A. I've been watching so much footage on the game, trailers, making of the game features etc. and this is absolutely the worst way to promote a game in the PC space. I always pick up games from key retailers with a 20ish percent discount so it felt strange to go in at full price. Scrambling right before it gets delisted is the worst feeling. The feature set of the Epic Games Store is pretty trash in this state, and while they can be competition with better support, this is not how you go about it.

It'll be interesting to see how other retailers promote EGS keys. A multi platform game should be available on a variety of digital market places without exclusivity. First party platforms I get - Bethesda using their own launcher, EA for their in house titles - but this? I hate this.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Yeahp, missed the Steam version so I'll buy it for $20 next year I guess. Was hoping to check out the RTX stuff, game really looks amazing but EGS is 100% a dealbreaker

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Division 2 is gonna be sold on Epic Store AND Uplay. They're just replacing the Steam + Uplay version with a Epic Store + Uplay version (which is such a non-sensical combo I can't see it selling more than 14 copies worldwide, but whatever lol). It's not an Epic Store exclusive.

I don't think things like universal controller support, a Linux compatibility layer, tons of developing resources and APIs etc are signs of getting too comfortable with their dominance, but hey, opinions I guess.
I'm not saying they are a bad company. The complete and total lack of curation really makes the store a pain in the ass for me. Instead of actually providing a solution they want the community to curate their store for them with no perks offered at all. They do a lot of things right but the things that made them wonderful for me in the past are even on the decline. Like steam sales are generally trash now and usually always outdone by humble bundle. I would like to see steam improve again it's felt so stale for the last few years.

jtar86

Nov 5, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory language, ignoring mod post/threadmark
I don't understand this steam loyalty. Who gives a fuck, it's on your pc either way.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I don't understand this steam loyalty. Who gives a fuck, it's on your pc either way.
tEqkuv.png

Missing in this list:
- Linux support (Try to convince a Linux user to use the Epic Store. They... you know... can't.)
- Linux compatibility layer
- Universal controller support
- Big Picture
- Probably more

Oct 27, 2017
tEqkuv.png

Missing in this list:
- Linux support (Try to convince a Linux user to use the Epic Store. They... you know... can't.)
- Linux compatibility layer
- Universal controller support
- Big Picture
- Probably more
This pic has been reposted so many times on this thread, yet people insist on bringing their hot takes that have been debunked time and time again.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is getting just as bad as the Sony & MS [timed] Exclusive deals with Activision and others.

I guess if you can't offer a service that's actually better for your customers, you just pay some assholes a bunch of cash to keep their products out of other stores for a while.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this blind epic loyalty. If you can't see how them buying Third party exclusivity and taking the game away from other services is a bad thing than I don't think you get it.
I literally posted this a post before the one quoted. "I'll use both and grab whatever benefits me the most." Sounds more self serving than blind loyalty but idk?

jtar86

Nov 5, 2017
I don't understand this blind epic loyalty. If you can't see how them buying Third party exclusivity and taking the game away from other services is a bad thing than I don't think you get it.
I don't have loyalty to anyone. I click the shortcut on my pc and play the game. I don't give a fuck what launcher it uses.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I literally posted this a post before the one quoted. "I'll use both and grab whatever benefits me the most." Sounds more self serving than blind loyalty but idk?
But the place you could have gotten it from for less was a Steam key yesterday from any of the many stores selling it. No matter where you buy it now, it will cost you MORE than it did 10 hours ago.

You already lost unless you had it pre-ordered. Even then, you pre-ordered which is an awful idea in general unless the discount is steep enough to take on the risk.

Pretty much same. It's not a big deal to me where I purchased it from as long as I can play the game.
So none of the long list of features Steam offers its users have been leveraged by you? Cloud saves? Deeper controller support? Friends list? If not, then okay.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the place you could have gotten it from for less was a Steam key yesterday from any of the many stores selling it. No matter where you buy it now, it will cost you MORE than it did 10 hours ago.

You already lost unless you had it pre-ordered. Even then, you pre-ordered which is an awful idea in general unless the discount is steep enough to take on the risk.

So none of the long list of features Steam offers its users have been leveraged by you? Cloud saves? Deeper controller support? Friends list? If not, then okay.
It got a $10 discount on EGS. Also the only feature I take advantage out of the ones listed is cloud saves and very rarely. EGS also has a friends list.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It got a $10 discount on EGS..
So you're saying you paid $50 USD for it?

Then you're saying you paid MORE for it than you could have paid yesterday through any number of Steam key resellers. You didn't save money; you paid more. Don't pretend otherwise.

Also the only feature I take advantage out of the ones listed is cloud saves and very rarely. EGS also has a friends list.
The point about your friends list was about where your Steam friends are. But maybe you don't have any Steam friends in which case the storefront is less significant. Cloud saves, okay. Just a couple of the dozens of features the platform offers which Epic does not. But if you're going to ignore them broadly because you don't use them singularly, we don't have anything else to discuss.