• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Whole reason to buy exclusives is to force users to come, so they don't have to actually be competent in anyway.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ha ha ha ha, alright, sure, I guess I feel really bad, or maybe I don't take this as seriously as you seem to, putting the dignity of all of humanity up as stakes.

I wasn't talking about this case in particular, but in general. It's a terrible, meaningless "argument" that disqualifies you from any kind of discussion about everything.
And you know it, so stop dodging and with this "this is just gaming, stop overreacting" nonsense.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
That will never happen though--for the same reason no one would create and launch a console without exclusives.

Even if you have the ambition to create a service/platform equal to (or slightly better than) Steam or Playstation, people aren't gonna flock to your service if you aren't offering any exclusives. People will just stick to what they're currently using.

Three objections. First, PC gaming isn't console gaming. Various companies have attempted to force console-style business practices on PC and they always fail. Valve's success is based on the fact that Steam is a PC-focused service, offering functionality that PC users want. GOG, the second biggest service, is a PC-focused service offering a unique selling point that is important to PC users. Thw Windows Store has plenty of quality exclusives and no one is buying from it. Trying to find success on PC by treating it like a console will always end in failure.

Second, there is a way for Epic to have exclusive content without moneyhatting. Develope original content for your service. Build studios, make games and sell them through the store. But again, that takes work, dedication and a long-term commitment. Are they willing to put in the work?

Third, exclusives for console are so hugely important because it costs hundreds of dollars to move to a different platform as a customer. Without that barrier on PC everyone has a chance to compete in a productive way, by enticing customers through quality of service and original content.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Three objections. First, PC gaming isn't console gaming. Various companies have attempted to force console-style business practices on PC and they always fail. Valve's success is based on the fact that Steam is a PC-focused service, offering functionality that PC users want. GOG, the second biggest service, is a PC-focused service offering a unique selling point that is important to PC users. Thw Windows Store has plenty of quality exclusives and no one is buying from it. Trying to find success on PC by treating it like a console will always end in failure.

Second, there is a way for Epic to have exclusive content without moneyhatting. Develope original content for your service. Build studios, make games and sell them through the store. But again, that takes work, dedication and a long-term commitment. Are they willing to put in the work?

Third, exclusives for console are so hugely important because it costs hundreds of dollars to move to a different platform as a customer. Without that barrier on PC everyone has a chance to compete in a productive way, by enticing customers through quality of service and original content.

A big worry for PC gamers is any move which looks to emulate a console closed off marketplace. That threatens any competition with pricing/gifting/etc.

Paid online is obviously the biggest thing PC gamers laugh at, but if even MS is struggling to bring paid online from Xbox to Windows, then I doubt anyone else will manage it.

Closed off marketplaces? Epic is already doing that as long as they drag their feet with key generation. Having gamers rely on the likes of CDKeys buying physical and gutting keys isn't good enough.

The main reason I game on PS4 primarily is 1st party exclusives, but for the first time since PS4 launch I even let my PS+ lapse. Too busy right now for lots of gaming and what I've been playing as of late has primarily been SP. I could genuinely see me focussing more on coming back to PC gaming in the years to come and keeping a PS4/PS5 strictly for SP Sony exclusives.

For once I'm also getting my backlog under control. 98% of PS+ content goes into download history and never gets touched. I've stopped pre-ordering games and I now only buy when I will definitely play and have time to finish. Over the last 30 days I was pretty much slowly getting through RDR2. I haven't bought AC Odyssey yet, RE2, DQ11, KH3, Thronebreaker and the list goes on.

Zero point buying games to let them sit for months without being opened/played lol.

Last edited:

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
if this is like the other Metro games it will be a technical mess at launch and they won't even have forums for people to report and find fixes

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
A big worry for PC gamers is any move which looks to emulate a console closed off marketplace.

Absolutely. PC gaming has its own identity and ethos and many PC gamers are very protective of those. The people asking "it's been happening on consoles for ages, so what's the problem" are missing a really quite obvious point: if we wanted a console-like experience, we'd just play on consoles. PC gaming is unique and it's important that we preserve that uniqueness.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing Metro 2033 on a GTX 460 back in the day (1680x1050). Ultra settings were absolutely out of the question, but the game was tweakable enough to make it playable.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
Allegedly some dev from 4A Games responded to whole situation.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/412020/discussions/0/1780513643852520184/

In short if game under performs on PC he thinks that they will skip PC next time.

That's one way to deal with this...

It's weird hearing this coming from the developer as I doubt they would have a lot of choice and make such a decision. And their statement that passionate players should have no problem investing a few minutes for a new launcher is kind of tonedeaf. And besides that it is just irresponisble since you are not just targeting very passionate players but for most of the audience you should seek to keep the barrier of entry low.

If they'd follow through with this I guess they are hurting themselves. When I though this move wouldn't be great for competition I certainly didn't expect it to happen this way.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017

In short if game under performs on PC he thinks that they will skip PC next time.

If that is real then its such a stupid response. Steam users have supported them for many years. Last Light and 2033 sold millions on Steam. The support for those games was about as great as any singleplayer FPS game can get these days. And despite all that they still turned their back on the community in favor of some Fortnite cash.

Worst of all is that Steam today is so much bigger than it was back in 2013 when Last Light came out. They didn't even give Steam users a chance to support them this time around. They bailed at first bite of a moneyhat.

So when you do support the developer = Its never good enough
When you don't support the developer = You are lazy, toxic and hate the game/dev to begin with.

And now they are scared it won't do well on the Epic launcher. If it flops they dug their own grave.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmm do I support my freedom of choice within PC gaming, or a developer threatening to stop bringing their games to PC if we don't accept their publisher's shitty actions?

I don't agree with people threatening to pirate though. Just wait for the Steam version or skip it entirely.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
It would be stupid to skip their flagship platform over a flop due to this stuff. But hey, I guess competition will be good.

Yeah that's the dumbest take ever from this.

You abandon the platform that made your franchise successful, your game on PC flops because of it, then instead of going back you make a worse decision? There's a reason why devs need publishers I guess.

In this case they need a publisher who isn't an asshole ready to jump on the first big fat paycheck.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that is real then its such a stupid response. Steam users have supported them for many years. Last Light and 2033 sold millions on Steam. The support for those games was about as great as any singleplayer FPS game can get these days. And despite all that they still turned their back on the community in favor of some Fortnite cash.
The argument they're making is that if those people were Metro fans they wouldn't care so much about the launcher. They didn't make the game for "Steam users". They made the game for Metro fans on PC and consoles.

Also, they're speaking in more hypothetical terms. They're not saying that they think the game will do poorly, but rather that if the game doesn't sell on PC, future games won't be on PC.

When it comes to the Metro series, I don't think 4A make that kinda call. Deep Silver decide what platforms the games go on, not 4A. 4A don't own Metro. They merely develop the games. There's nothing stopping Deep Silver from taking the Metro series off 4A and handing it to Volition or Dambuster (heck, or even Sumo Digital).

I'm sure Treyarch felt the same way when Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 was moved from being a Steam game to being a Battle.net exclusive. If Call of Duty sales collapsed on PC, Activision would probably stop releasing them on PC. But that didn't happen. CoD still does pretty well on PC, and it's no longer on Steam. It remains to be seen how Metro performs on the Epic launcher.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If this is really from a 4A developer (after the faked Instagram post we should be a bit more careful)?
A company not wanting to support PC because everybody is a pirate... I wonder where I heard that before. Ah yes, it was Epic while stating why GoW2 wouldn't come to PC. Both posts fit so well together. This could very well be just another troll attempt to "stir the shit"

Anyway:
His narrative that installing the epic launcher is just an inconvenience is unfair and people claiming that the game needs to be pirated are also unfair. If you don't want to support epic or third party exclusivity: do not buy the game, don't pirate.

Let's also wait and see how long it takes for the game to be cracked. Was REmake 2 already cracked btw? It's a high profile, denuvo protectet game after all.
We'll see how long it'll take for Metro to be cracked. IMO, it's more likely that Exodus will sell poorly on PC because of the backlash and not because a crack will be available in the first week. If it even sells poorly...

Last edited:

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
If this is really from a 4A developer (after the faked Instagram post we should be a bit more careful)?
A company not wanting to support PC because everybody is a pirate... I wonder where I heard that before. Ah yes, it was Epic while stating why GoW2 wouldn't come to PC. Both posts fit so well together. This Could very well be just another troll attempt to "stir the shit"

Anyway:
His narrative that installing the epic launcher is just an inconvenience is unfair and people claiming that the game needs to be pirated are also unfair. If you don't want to support epic or third party exclusivity: do not buy the game, don't pirate.

Let's also wait and see how long it takes for the game to be cracked. Was REmake 2 already cracked btw? It's a high profile, denuvo protectet game after all.
We'll see how long it'll take for Metro to be cracked. IMO, it's more likely that Exodus will sell poorly on PC because of the backlash and not because a crack will be available in the first week. If it even sells poorly...

REmake 2 was cracked yesterday according to the Denuvo thread, that got them around a week of crack free protection.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
REmake 2 was cracked yesterday according to the Denuvo thread, that got them around a week of crack free protection.

Damn, faster then I hoped/expected.

Let's also not forget: Metro spiked from zero to hero on the world wide steam chart after the announcement. Many people went out to pay more to legally get the game on steam, fully aware that their money also goes to DeepSilver but not to Epic. This contradicts the "all just pirates" narrative. People wnat/like the games and appreciate 4A, they just dislike this sort of business strategy.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Treyarch felt the same way when Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 was moved from being a Steam game to being a Battle.net exclusive. If Call of Duty sales collapsed on PC, Activision would probably stop releasing them on PC. But that didn't happen. CoD still does pretty well on PC, and it's no longer on Steam. It remains to be seen how Metro performs on the Epic launcher.
I'm sure they didn't and there was also no backlash because that was an Activision exclusive after destiny 2. It wasn't surprising, this is two different situations. One where deep silver made their choice with the deal and are going to have to live with the consequences.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Reading his entire post in Russian was quite eye opening. Arrogance and entitlement in almost every word. He believes that people who are against Epic deal were never their customers, that they're, unlike 4A, incapable of creating something great.
I seriously doubt the veracity of that post.
The original post was made from 10 years old account of someone who claims to be from Ukraine. It can be a troll of course, but I don't think the site in question is popular enough for that kind of thing.
https://www.gameru.net/forum/index.php?showuser=11266

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
A company not wanting to support PC because everybody is a pirate... I wonder where I heard that before. Ah yes, it was Epic while stating why GoW2 wouldn't come to PC. Both posts fit so well together. This Could very well be just another troll attempt to "stir the shit"

Anyway:

After the guy who trolled this place claiming to be a THQ employee I won't put it past the fact that this might be another troll attempt. But tbh I could see this being true too. A4, by what little we've heard, had little knowledge of this and maybe emotions are running a bit raw. It really makes no sense to throw the baby out with the bath water when you're the one who made the decision in the first place; Make an unpopular choice to got with EGS and then claim that poor sales will see you pull out of PC altogether...talk about shooting yourself in the same foot twice.

If this does end up being true though I can see a lot of people cheering them on, the kind that likes competition for the sake of it.... Hilarious if this cheerleading of the Epic store ends with less games coming to PC now.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Reading his entire post in Russian was quite eye opening. Arrogance and entitlement in almost every word. He believes that people who are against Epic deal were never their customers, that they're, unlike 4A, incapable of creating something great.

The original post was made from 10 years old account of someone who claims to be from Ukraine. It can be a troll of course, but I don't think the site in question is popular enough for that kind of thing.
https://www.gameru.net/forum/index.php?showuser=11266

Reminds me of CDPR going after pirates in Russia, before they changed and launched GOG. Getting aggressive against your base is never wise, CDPR learned from this.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling, history of antagonizing community users
The idiot "client war" fanboys are going to cost PC getting games in the future. The feeling that you've been personally wronged... the unwillingness to use anything other than Steam... the perceived moral high ground of "fair competition"... PC is and can be so much more than just Steam and keys purchased elsewhere...

The funny thing is the people that just say... "No Steam, no buy" or "If it's not on Steam, I'm just going to get it for consoles..." Like as if it's any damn different at that point lmao..

If you like the game...and you think the price asked is fair, then you should buy the game where it's offered and where it helps developers the most.. assuming you'd like to continue seeing games in the future.

I couldn't ever understand being hyped for a game, being a fan of the series, and then boycott the game because it's simply being offered on a different client on the same platform. If the game and all of it's features are supported in full... I can see no issue with it.

I hope the Epic store becomes successful as hell, and they bring more games to PC which wouldn't have been otherwise. I'm a PC gamer... not a Steam only gamer.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they didn't and there was also no backlash because that was an Activision exclusive after destiny 2. It wasn't surprising, this is two different situations. One where deep silver made their choice with the deal and are going to have to live with the consequences.

Yeah, it's crazy how an enthusiast board suddenly forgets the difference between first and third party games.

It's like asking why console users complained about Street Fighter V being PS4 exclusive, when nobody complained that God of War was.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
I hope the Epic store becomes successful as hell, and they bring more games to PC which wouldn't have been otherwise. I'm a PC gamer... not a Steam only gamer.

Metro was already successful on Steam selling millions, Metro Exodus and all of the games moneyhatted by Epic were already heading to Steam with the exception of Journey and Walking Dead. Epic has so far introduced nothing but moneyhatting exclusives. I hope the Epic store is an epic failure.

Would love to see your reaction if Valve started moneyhatting exclusives away.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
The idiot "client war" fanboys are going to cost PC getting games in the future. The feeling that you've been personally wronged... the unwillingness to use anything other than Steam... the perceived moral high ground of "fair competition"... PC is and can be so much more than just Steam and keys purchased elsewhere...

The funny thing is the people that just say... "No Steam, no buy" or "If it's not on Steam, I'm just going to get it for consoles..." Like as if it's any damn different at that point lmao..

If you like the game...and you think the price asked is fair, then you should buy the game where it's offered and where it helps developers the most.. assuming you'd like to continue seeing games in the future.

I couldn't ever understand being hyped for a game, being a fan of the series, and then boycott the game because it's simply being offered on a different client on the same platform. If the game and all of it's features are supported in full... I can see no issue with it.

Inform yourself before spouting nonsense.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they didn't and there was also no backlash because that was an Activision exclusive after destiny 2.
We had a thread full of people saying that the game was "dead on arrival" and how they weren't going to buy it anymore. There were pretty much identical threads when it became clear Rage 2 is a Bethesda Launcher exclusive and Doom Eternal will likely be one, too.

That was the Denial stage of the ongoing saga of pretty much the entire AAA industry abandoning Steam. I think we're onto the Anger stage, now. The denial stage had a sense of flippant, "THEY'LL BE BACK!" arrogance. Now we're past that. Basically every major publisher in the industry has either abandoned Steam, is abandoning Steam, or is making strong overtures to Steam's competitors. That triggers anger. It's a collapse. People hope that if they rage enough, protest enough, things will go back to the way they were.

As far as a lot of these people are concerned, there's a war going on. If they don't win this war, gaming as they know it is over. We've had people on this very forum claim that they'll stop gaming on PC if they're forced to use multiple game launchers. It's all very melodramatic. It's the exact same sentiment that fuels hatred of mobile games. People are terrified that if they don't furiously hate mobile games, the mobile games will win.

The launcher exclusivity wars are here. There's no going back.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
what's the big problem about getting this game on Epic Store? What's so special about Steam?
Plus, the game will be cheaper.

I don't get it all this crying over something that will literally have no effect in your life.

And don't come with "I wanna have the right to chose" because untill a couple of months ago Steam was the viable only store available. Now there are at least two fighting for your money.

You'll still be able to play it on your damn PC anyway. Makes literally no difference.

Unless Epic is some nazi-lenient company allowing pró-facism speach in their store... That would change things.

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017

After all the reasons put forward by so many posters on why they dislike Epic's platform and business practices, you still choose to reduce it down to fanboyism?

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Metro was already successful on Steam selling millions, Metro Exodus and all of the games moneyhatted by Epic were already heading to Steam with the exception of Journey and Walking Dead. Epic has so far introduced nothing but moneyhatting exclusives. I hope the Epic store is an epic failure.

Would love to see your reaction if Valve started moneyhatting exclusives away.
Right... it's a successful series on PC... If the 3rd one isn't successful on Epic, it's because a bunch of babies didn't want to support the developers. Epic runs a business.. they want people to notice their store and have exclusive content there.

Trust me... you wouldn't love to see my reaction if Valve started moneyhatting exclusives... because I've been begging them to do that for years now. They want to be PC's premier gaming platform... then act like it. Get exclusives... fund development studios for exclusives. Keep bringing new and exciting features and client updates... Integrate game libraries from other clients into Steam (like Playnite does) ect ect ect...

Steam (Valve)... as the proclaimed face of PC gaming, could be doing much more than they have been.. but nobody says anything because they're the most feature filled client out there. (also the oldest out of the main ones)

The Steam only PC gamers out there need to wake up.. support games that release on the Epic store if they like those games, and help Epic become a serious Steam competitor so both push to outdo each other. Buying Steam keys on online stores for cheaper doesn't do shit to help that....

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
We had a thread full of people saying that the game was "dead on arrival" and how they weren't going to buy it anymore. There were pretty much identical threads when it became clear Rage 2 is a Bethesda Launcher exclusive and Doom Eternal will likely be one, too.

That was the Denial stage of the ongoing saga of pretty much the entire AAA industry abandoning Steam. I think we're onto the Anger stage, now. The denial stage had a sense of flippant, "THEY'LL BE BACK!" arrogance. Now we're past that. Basically every major publisher in the industry has either abandoned Steam, is abandoning Steam, or is making strong overtures to Steam's competitors. That triggers anger. It's a collapse. People hope that if they rage enough, protest enough, things will go back to the way they were.

As far as a lot of these people are concerned, there's a war going on. If they don't win this war, gaming as they know it is over. We've had people on this very forum claim that they'll stop gaming on PC if they're forced to use multiple game launchers. It's all very melodramatic. It's the exact same sentiment that fuels hatred of mobile games. People are terrified that if they don't furiously hate mobile games, the mobile games will win.

The launcher exclusivity wars are here. There's no going back.
Please stop using pseudo-scientific nonsense. It only makes you look like a clueless tool.
And stop projecting your situation on other people, again so you finally understand one of my main problems with this:
I use Linux, I can't anymore legally play this game on Linux thanks to Epic moneyhatting games

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
After all the reasons put forward by so many posters on why they dislike Epic's platform and business practices, you still choose to reduce it down to fanboyism?

Well maybe people like him and Guarana are just having late hot takes without without reading anything in the thread whatsoever.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, that's what it is. Anytime someone disagrees... they just haven't read the thread :rollseyes:
what's the big problem about getting this game on Epic Store? What's so special about Steam?
Plus, the game will be cheaper.

I don't get it all this crying over something that will literally have no effect in your life.

And don't come with "I wanna have the right to chose" because untill a couple of months ago Steam was the viable only store available. Now there are at least two fighting for your money.

You'll still be able to play it on your damn PC anyway. Makes literally no difference.

Unless Epic is some nazi-lenient company allowing pró-facism speach in their store... That would change things.
What is so hard about reading up about the thing you're going to spout misinformed nonsense about? Of course people will get angry at you because you're either willfully ignorant or just trolling.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Please stop using pseudo-scientific nonsense. It only makes you look like a clueless tool.
And stop projecting your situation on other people, again so you finally understand one of my main problems with this:
I use Linux, I can't anymore legally play this game on Linux thanks to Epic moneyhatting games
The game isn't being developed on Linux... you're not entitled to play the game...

Sorry.. not sorry :/

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Basically every major publisher in the industry has either abandoned Steam, is abandoning Steam, or is making strong overtures to Steam's competitors.

Be sure to leave out the part about Epic throwing money at them to do so.

Also leave out the part where those games were already announced for Steam. Had betas on Steam. Had preorders on Steam. Be sure not to mention any of those things. The narrative is developers are choosing to leave Steam and PC gamers are blowing this out of proportion.

Maybe Sony should start throwing money at Capcom and Square to keep games of Xbox and Switch. Then we can say developers are choosing to leave Microsoft and Nintendo, and console users are being unfair.

Such a wonderful PC gaming future you've been staunchly supporting.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Right... it's a successful series on PC... If the 3rd one isn't successful on Epic, it's because a bunch of babies didn't want to support the developers. Epic runs a business.. they want people to notice their store and have exclusive content there.

Trust me... you wouldn't love to see my reaction if Valve started moneyhatting exclusives... because I've been begging them to do that for years now. They want to be PC's premier gaming platform... then act like it. Get exclusives... fund development studios for exclusives. Keep bringing new and exciting features and client updates... Integrate game libraries from other clients into Steam (like Playnite does) ect ect ect...

Steam (Valve)... as the proclaimed face of PC gaming, could be doing much more than they have been.. but nobody says anything because they're the most feature filled client out there. (also the oldest out of the main ones)

The Steam only PC gamers out there need to wake up.. support games that release on the Epic store if they like those games, and help Epic become a serious Steam competitor so both push to outdo each other. Buying Steam keys on online stores for cheaper doesn't do shit to help that....

So we should bow down to a hostage situation?

And this is good for the conumser?

The game isn't being developed on Linux... you're not entitled to play the game...

Developers are not entitled to our money.

Sorry, not sorry

You Epic-stans give up the game more and more the more you type. So much for 'compeition that benifits the consumer' That was just a Lie.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

They were successful because of Steam, not for just being on PC, the exposure given by Steam is what made them successful. And if Epic wants to start funding exclusives on PC then by all means I support that, but aside from Journey and Walking Dead, that's not remotely what they're doing, Metro was two fucking weeks away from releasing on Steam, the biggest PC market available, what did Epic do here but drop a big fat paycheck? And now I can't buy it, so screw Epic.

Claims to support PC gaming, shits on PC gamers wanting to play the game. You suck buddy.

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry, not sorry.

Also, despite Metro Exodus not being made for Linux in specific, the EGL doesn't support Linux at all. Being on Steam gives developers the tools to run their game on Linux if they can't make a Linux build natively, as well as having a client that can actually run for users on that OS. Any game on EGL doesn't have that option by default. And you want to know the funny part? Unreal Engine 4's SDK runs on and exports to Linux.

A side effect of Epic forcing themselves into the market is that they're completely ignoring the entire OS. It has a much larger overall effect than a single game in the immediate.

Last edited: