Metro Exodus for PC a timed exclusive for the Epic store (Steam preorders honoured, physical copy with Epic key). [READ staff post]

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a PC pre-load issue? Why would downloading the full game before launch be slower than downloading the game at launch?
Decrpyting the preload takes longer then downloading the actual thing if you've got good internet.

Pre-load is mainly there for people with slow internet who'd like to play the game day 1.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Interesting to watch all this play out

Laughing at all the animosity towards them when they are even dropping the base game price. Oh no a developer wants more money!
Dropped for Americans maybe. Not ROW. It's actually more expensive then it was for me lol.

Is this a PC pre-load issue? Why would downloading the full game before launch be slower than downloading the game at launch?
Well I live in a country with decent infrastructure so preloading isn't useful for me.

It's mainly for people with really slow internet.

Oct 25, 2017
im still not sure why decrpyting always takes so long

is my cpu old or something
It takes long even on modern state hardware. It's prolly just Steam more then anything else.

I don't know how Origin or Uplay does it, but last time I pre-loaded a game was GTA V and that was the first and last time I used it.

It took like 2 and a half hours on a SSD with a 3770k back then. Could have downloaded the whole thing in just 1 hour and a bit.

Sep 7, 2018
It takes long even on modern state hardware. It's prolly just Steam more then anything else.

I don't know how Origin or Uplay does it, but last time I pre-loaded a game was GTA V and that was the first and last time I used it.

It took like 2 and a half hours on a SSD with a 3770k back then. Could have downloaded the whole thing in just 1 hour and a bit.
Definitely doesn't take that long anymore. For me, it's typically 15-20 minutes.

Oct 25, 2017
im still not sure why decrpyting always takes so long

is my cpu old or something
Nothing to do CPU. Even regular downloads are en crypted.

HDDs are very slow, when reading and writing at same time. With downloading every thing will be in memory and can be decrypted without extra read.

And feel s like Steam preload is not ssd optimized. That shouldn't be slow.

JaseC

🔥Breathe fire.🐲
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Nothing to do CPU. Even regular downloads are en crypted.
Standard game data is delivered in a decrypted state, though. Pre-load data isn't, obviously, so the decryption process does actually use CPU resources to some extent.

Regarding whether pre-loading is worthwhile, I'd say a downstream speed of 250Mbps is the point at which you might as well just download a game at unlock o'clock instead. I've said this before, but Valve really should implement an alternative pre-load option that delivers game data as-is but withholds the nominated executable/s until release, like Battle.net, Origin, Uplay, etc. do.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
as others have said, I've always noticed preloading sucks ass

if you have even halfway decent internet speed (200 mbit or more), then preloading is useless

now if you have shitty internet, that's on you

Oct 26, 2017

My preload of BF5 immediately switched to playable after I booted my PC on release. Pretty sure UWP games are the same. Steams approach is just ancient.

Feb 5, 2018
So, just pulling the game out of Steam wasn't enough for Deep Silver, and now they even made a pre-load exclusive to EGS?
[]https://img.zoneofgames.ru/news/2019/02/11/014858-MaxthonSnap20190211014504.jpg[/IMG]
Seriously, what are these dumbasses trying to achieve with this shitstorm?
At this point, it honestly feels like someone in the boardroom wants to sabotage this release as much as possible.
Well, no.
Many regions have shitty internet connections. There are sometimes huge difference in cities. Independent of how well developed your country is.
My previous apartment had 16mbit/s max. I moved 10km and am now in 450mbit heaven.
Cant wait for the inevitable "build your own internet provider company" response.

Dec 1, 2017
Decrpyting the preload takes longer then downloading the actual thing if you've got good internet.

Pre-load is mainly there for people with slow internet who'd like to play the game day 1.
Well I live in a country with decent infrastructure so preloading isn't useful for me.

It's mainly for people with really slow internet.
Based on a comment above, it seems like this is a steam specific issue? If so, steam really needs to improve it so that it instantly unlocks like on other platforms.

JaseC

🔥Breathe fire.🐲
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wouldn't be shocked if Steam version patches aren't day and date with the EGS version either.
That shouldn't happen:

Also, that support rep clearly went off-script. The reasoning doesn't even begin to make sense. I doubt they actually know anything.

Sep 7, 2018
I don't know.

My friends told me that it also took forever for XV to decrypt and they would have been better off just downloading it.
It varies per game but I've pre-loaded lots of games on Steam and on average, it takes me 15-20 minutes to decrypt. Admittedly, I have a pretty beefy PC so that's likely a factor.

Oct 27, 2017
as others have said, I've always noticed preloading sucks ass

if you have even halfway decent internet speed (200 mbit or more), then preloading is useless

now if you have shitty internet, that's on you
Nope.

I'm lucky to have good internet speeds and a reliable connection, but there are many reasons others may not.

For a start "good" internet is usually more expensive - fibre here is more expensive than ADSL.

Fibre might not even be available in some places - I know it took years after fibre was "available" in my country before it arrived in my area, and I don't live very far from a major city.

If all ISPs in an area refuse to offer an internet service that can be considered "good", there's not much residents can do about it short of spending thousands and thousands on their own bespoke infrastructure.

Oct 25, 2017
Based on a comment above, it seems like this is a steam specific issue? If so, steam really needs to improve it so that it instantly unlocks like on other platforms.
It can't be instantly unlocked, because that would mean it would be hilariously easy to decrypt by yourself and people could crack the game before it's even out. Steam encryption has managed to prevent this perfectly.

Dec 1, 2017
It can't be instantly unlocked, because that would mean it would be hilariously easy to decrypt by yourself and people could crack the game before it's even out. Steam encryption has managed to prevent this perfectly.
Based on this post
My preload of BF5 immediately switched to playable after I booted my PC on release. Pretty sure UWP games are the same. Steams approach is just ancient.
Do pre-loaded Origin games get cracked all the time?

JaseC

🔥Breathe fire.🐲
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Yeah, but that'd only be a problem if the executables were still included. It'd be relatively easy for Valve to implement an alternative pre-load system that delivers raw game data but withholds the executables associated with the app's launch configuration until the release state has changed to "released".

Edit: That's not to suggest the option not existing is the result of laziness. Rather, I'd guess the reason is the same as why there's no support for, say, automatic unlocks: an unnecessary overabundance of caution.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that'd only be a problem if the executables were still included. It'd be relatively easy for Valve to implement an alternative pre-load system that delivers raw game data but withholds the executables associated with the app's launch configuration until the release state has changed to "released".
I believe that is how uplay preloads work.
Never had to decrypt anything there, just a small download at release.

Oct 25, 2017
Based on this post

Do pre-loaded Origin games get cracked all the time?
No they don't because what Origin does with their preloads is actually pretty smart.

They let you download the full game(preload) except the main exes and few other small files. So when release days come that's all it needs to download and you're good to go.

It's way better and more practical then Valve's terrible and ancinet encryption.

Dec 1, 2017
What Origin does with their preloads is actually pretty smart.

They let you download the full game(preload) except the main exes. So when release days come that's all it needs to download and you're good to go.
It's strange that Steam is lagging behind in this department. I believe steam pre-loads have been available for quite a while now(Since the release of MKX I think, which was a disaster).

Oct 25, 2017
No they don't because what Origin does with their preloads is actually pretty smart.

They let you download the full game(preload) except the main exes and few other small files. So when release days come that's all it needs to download and you're good to go.

It's way better and more practical then Valve's terrible and ancinet encryption.
It resulted in FFXV being cracked several days before release though

Honest question: Wouldn't this cause problems with people datamining the game and spoiling things, especially for games that come out day and date with the console versions?

I also hate Steam's preloads btw. I just download the games at launch since that's faster for me but that's not an option for everyone and it sucks ass.
It resulted in FFXV being cracked several days before release though
That's because Square Enix was stupid enough to put an unprotected exe in the demo that worked in the full game

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question: Wouldn't this cause problems with people datamining the game and spoiling things, especially for games that come out day and date with the console versions?
It's a possibility. It deppends from game to game. Preloads are usually available a week before the launch and by that time there's already videos out due to console copies being leaked in god knows what country. Happens with every big game.

RE2 also got datamined based off a single demo alone. DMC5 is also not getting a demo on PC for this sole reason I'd reckon.

Itsuno really wants the game plot keept under wraps till launch.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Edit: That's not to suggest the option not existing is the result of laziness. Rather, I'd guess the reason is the same as why there's no support for, say, automatic unlocks: an unnecessary overabundance of caution.
omg what is this ava

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it a hundred times, but the Epic Store doesn't even have an offline mode. You even have to be online to launch Shadow Complex and Super Meat Boy. That's a huge dealbreaker for me, and I'm baffled the always-online aspect of the store isn't a bigger deal.
It does though. This is what it shows when you try to start the launcher without an internet connection:

If you click "Skip sign in", it'll let you launch games that are installed.

EDIT: Okay nevermind, there are games for which you need to be signed in to launch them, which is fucked. Don't know if it'll be necessary for Metro Exodus but this is something Epic shouldn't be doing at all.

Last edited: