Metro Exodus for PC a timed exclusive for the Epic store (Steam preorders honoured, physical copy with Epic key). [READ staff post]

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
This is soooooo cheap in my opinion!
Delay or don´t release patches.....
It doesn't make sense to me. My initial assumption was that they kept the Steam version for people who had preordered to not disappoint some of their biggest fans. But why would we settle for an unpatched messy version of the game with frequent random crashes? I guess the Steam version was only a way for Deep Silver to not lose the pre-order money, but how are they going to prevent us from refunding the game?

I posted my negative Steam review a couple of hours ago, and I am seriously considering refunding my Gold edition of the game at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make sense to me. My initial assumption was that they kept the Steam version for people who had preordered to not disappoint some of their biggest fans. But why would we settle for an unpatched messy version of the game with frequent random crashes? I guess the Steam version was only a way for Deep Silver to not lose the pre-order money, but how are they going to prevent us from refunding the game?

I posted my negative Steam review a couple of hours ago, and I am seriously considering refunding my Gold edition of the game at this point.
I'm at 3.5h playtime and my game was also played through family sharing. I'm pretty sure refunding is no longer an option for me.
That said, I had no crashed so far, but maybe they'll come later? Idk.

I'd wait 2-3 days in your position, maybe the patch will come.

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm at 3.5h playtime and my game was also played through family sharing. I'm pretty sure refunding is no longer an option for me.
That said, I had no crashed so far, but maybe they'll come later? Idk.

I'd wait 2-3 days in your position, maybe the patch will come.
Are you playing with DX12 and ray tracing on? I had all my crashes in DX12, but some people in the PC performance thread are claiming that sticking to DX11 resolves the crashing issue.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Are you using a 2080 Ti btw?
Yes, paired with a 2700x (4.15GHz), 16GB of DDR4 3466. Running at 1440p. Getting 50-80 fps so far during gameplay. 50 isn't common, only happened in the water church so far, I'm around 65 most of the time. Starting to get CPU bottle-necked at ~ 85 FPS. It's a taxing game on max settings both to my CPU and GPU.

The problem with people reporting crashes is: You don't know if they are on an unstable OC, if it's another problem or if it is the game. Taxing games like Metro Exodus have a tendency to provoke crashes on slightly unstable overclocks. Everything else might work, but this one game may need a tiny bit more voltage. Not saying that's necessarily the case here. It's hard to filter the information coming in.
That said: I'm only 4h in now, maybe the crashes will occur once I progress further into the game! Don't take my word for it.

Oct 25, 2017
This is not new though. Perhaps its new for steam users but gog users get delayed patches frequently. Devs seem to focus on the steam version first and then you will get a patch on gog a few days or weeks after.
And people rightfully complain about it on GOG non stop too. A bad thing not being entirely new doesn't make it less bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
This is not new though. Perhaps its new for steam users but gog users get delayed patches frequently. Devs seem to focus on the steam version first and then you will get a patch on gog a few days or weeks after.
And people rightfully complain about it on GOG non stop too. A bad thing not being entirely new doesn't make it less bad.
Also, didn't the devs say that the Steam version would get the same treatment as the EGS one? In terms of patches and DLCs?

I'm really glad I canceled my Steam preorder. Gonna get the complete edition for 20€ next year.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't GOG check each individual patch, which makes it so that developers often dont push the patch and just bundle a bunch? At least in that case it somehow makes sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't GOG check each individual patch, which makes it so that developers often dont push the patch and just bundle a bunch? At least in that case it somehow makes sense.
Not if people on GOG have to deal with bugs for longer because of this.
NMS even ended up not receiving the multiplayer update. GOG offered a non questions asked refund for their costumers because of this (for a limited time), independent of time played and purchase date. I took their offer at the time and my game was already a year old and had 20h+ on it.

Dec 18, 2017
Oh for sure. It another one of the things that gamers allowed to happen because it wasn't happening to them at the time so it did not matter (see the pay to be online on consoles). I am not saying people should not complain it is bullshit just not specific on the epic store in this instance.

JaseC

🔥Breathe fire.🐲
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
It's common for patches to be delayed on GOG because CDPR still handles the offline installer part of the equation itself; once an update has been submitted, it's completely out of the dev's hands as to when it'll be released to users. That's not an issue on Steam. Deep Silver could upload the latest build right now and immediately push it through to users if it were so inclined.

No achievements in Epic store version, but the game uses nvidia highlights and it records when an achievement is supposed to pop. Client is basic as fuck.
The Nvidia highlights seems to consider every kill and death worthy of recording. Very strange.

No achievements or playtime counter is really annoying me.

I also hate that the game and the pre-order DLC are two separate things in the library?

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed that CDKeys has raised the price. Used to be around 478kr, is now 578kr.
Haven't seen CDKeys do this before with recently released games. Seems to be specific to Exodus.
Feared this might happen. No authorized third party key resellers = less competition = higher price.

Mar 3, 2018
True, but patch for Metro is from 14th of february. Today is 17th... At this point GOG did usually get the patch, right?