• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Sweeney:
1504517172106.gif

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Competition is great. Having the game sold for $50 instead of $60 is good news. Hopefully we see more developers go to Epic until we reach the point where STEAM reduce their 30% cut and everybody wins.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I love how every non-american in this thread is pointing out how the game is now more expensive on the less-feature rich Epic Store and yet Americans are still drive-by posting with "OMG why are people so mad? It's literally just a launcher!" constantly.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Well I bought it a while ago on cdkeys where it was listed as Steam. I hope cdkeys knows how to make sure I get the right key then. This is bullshit.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Cheaper? Must be a fucking joke. Standard edition is £49.99 both on Steam and Epic store. Also Gold edition is £69.99 on both stores.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that the PC is supposed to be such a 'open platform' yet people are so angry that more than one gaming store exists on it.
Weird how on this open platform only one store is buying exclusives so that they don't release on any other store on PC other than their own.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
For me at least, I just can't be arsed with creating another account and managing yet another password. I got like a hundred different accounts for various things, it's dumb.

Oct 27, 2017
Literally wheezed at "passing savings to PC gamers"

Yeah, soon we won't be able to buy 40~45$ Steam keys from cdkeys, Instant Gaming, etc, and we'll instead have to buy the game for $50 on Epic's Store. Thanks for passing these savings to me guys! Really appreciate it.
Don't you love Reaganomics? Do you feel those saving trickling down your body?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Here comes the salt, doo do doo doo.
Here comes the salt, and I say.

It's all right.

But in all seriousness, why are people so angry about some devs moving to Epic Launcher instead of Steam? It's just a launcher. Just download it. I don't get it. And in this case, it's making things cheaper. Is all the "features" that steam has over Epic Launcher (which they'll probably eventually add in the future, mind you) REALLY worth that extra 10$?
Because they have to open and install another launcher.
holy fuck I don't understand why it bothers people so much to have to download another launcher. Hell, they are even giving us a discount!
uhooNPG.jpg

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I don't get why people are angry. Oh no you don't get steam achievements, who cares. Epic Games seems to be a better storefront anyway.
LMFAO. what an infantile comment. Steam is way more than just steam achivements. Its big picture mode, its forums, its user reviews, its refunds, its taking screenshots, live streaming, wathcing braodcasts, having a plyer profile, a personality inside a community, a workign market where you can win money, and lots lots more. You may not care about those features, but in reality, lets be honest, i know you have pressed that f12 button to take a screenshot, so your argument is not only childish but weak.

I care about my features, i use them all. I dont just buy a game to play a game. Sorry dude, but epic shit store wont get a dime out of me. Also, where are the devs, praising epic game store? with their amazing sales numbers? there wont be any, cause epic paid them very well so they dont have to worry about sales for a year. Thats moneyhatting, not competition.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what this backlash is for. I could understand it's a bit annoying to have yet another launcher for games, but overall it's a minor inconvenience.
I'm willing to be educated on what makes the EGS so vilified, but until then this thread reads like it's full of Gamers being Gamers (read: aggressive and angry)
No family sharing
Garbage pricing (there's no price cut at all for EU)
No offline mode
No Linux compability
People on China literally notallowed to buy games from
Lack of important features like controller APIs.
Lack of features in general, shit is so barebones it can't even match a indie client like itch.io

H4wkeye

Jan 11, 2019
Europe
This isn't just the bigger cut that Epic gives to devs, it's also Epic dishing out a shit ton of money to publishers that want to switch to Epic Store for a year of exclusivity. I can't reveal my source but I know that's how it was for one game, Epic paid a LOT of money for the exclusivity.

Oct 25, 2017
What a slimy move by Epic. Two weeks notice to folks that have been purchasing it on Steam all this time?

Timed store exclusivity? Fucking lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Can one of the people saying "no steam, no buy" actually explain why?

I get the Epic store may not be the best. It isn't, but at the end of the day, I sign in, hit launch, and play the game. The system that launches that game is of small importance to my overall enjoyment.

And for a lot of people having family sharing, controller support, in home and online streaming, guides easily accessible on the overlay, forums to easily find support for their issues, Linux support, and decent prices in their region is pretty important to their overall enjoyment.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Thankfully this struggling publisher will get money to stay in business and this little-known game will gain precious exposure.

Epic is slowly winning. If they can keep this up for another 2 to 5 AAA titles, they gain a massive player base from steam.

We'll see. Personally, I very much doubt it.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah - not a fan of this. I don't recall Steam doing any of this exclusivity stuff? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Steam got to this point because of the features its employed - they've never bought exclusivity. If Epic Games has a better storefront and features, I'd be more open to it. Will be interesting what Valve does.

Ah well.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to see any argument why people get mad. Who cares about any of the steam features? You just need a place to buy the games, that's all steam really needs to do. I also don't care about a store front buying exclusivity.

Funny seeing PC gamer's getting upset, saying they're skipping it now.

Meanwhile i'll enjoy this on my console where my huge library of games are in one place
Here comes the salt, doo do doo doo.
Here comes the salt, and I say.

It's all right.

But in all seriousness, why are people so angry about some devs moving to Epic Launcher instead of Steam? It's just a launcher. Just download it. I don't get it. And in this case, it's making things cheaper. Is all the "features" that steam has over Epic Launcher (which they'll probably eventually add in the future, mind you) REALLY worth that extra 10$?
It's going to be amazing when ResetEra's PC gaming community quits playing AAA games altogether at this rate.

It's amazing to see how much Epic is pushing against Steam early on. Who knows how long it will last or if the publishers will see higher profits overall from these decisions but it's an interesting thing to watch play out in real time.

Because they have to open and install another launcher.
They are making a good move. This is a good thing.
holy fuck I don't understand why it bothers people so much to have to download another launcher. Hell, they are even giving us a discount!

tenor.gif

It has been explained in so many goddamn fucking threads why people don't like EGS and how Epic is handling it.

Goddamn.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Weird that the PC is supposed to be such a 'open platform' yet people are so angry that more than one gaming store exists on it.
How to miss the point 101

Nobody is complaining about Uplay, GoG, Origin, etc. People are complaining about Epic moneyhatting devs for one year exclusivity in an inferior store, even for games that were already being sold on other stores. That does go against PC's openness.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Can anyone explain why so many are agaisnt this kind of stuff on the Epic Store ?

Remember when everybody was upset that Rise of the Tomb Raider would be on XB1 as an "exclusive"? Imagine if they announced it as coming on PS4 as well, and then a month before release they pulled the PS4 version. Not really the same, but the same sort of reaction.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody gets mad at the existence of Itch, GOG, or other storefronts not being actively fucking toxic to the health of the platform. What Epic are doing is the complete antithesis of what an open platform should be about: the creation of arbitrary walls.

Maybe if all the console warriors in this thread actually knew anything about what they are talking about threads like this on Era wouldn't be such a shitshow.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Very smart to do this after there's a Steam store page for the game so they still get Valve on the hook for hosting their forums.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what this backlash is for. I could understand it's a bit annoying to have yet another launcher for games, but overall it's a minor inconvenience.
I'm willing to be educated on what makes the EGS so vilified, but until then this thread reads like it's full of Gamers being Gamers (read: aggressive and angry)
Educate yourself.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidGal..._Its_Current_State_is_Not_Good_for_Anyone.php

This is by a developer btw.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree. To me it's far better than the Mobile and game console scene where you have to buy specific hardware to play games.

Weird how on this open platform only one store is buying exclusives so that they don't release on any other store on PC other than their own.

Downloading a different launcher that is free to play a single player game doesn't sound like the end of the world to me but if it's that big of a deal to miss out on what could be a great game then go ahead. This sort of practice exist on game consoles and Mobile and in those cases could potentially cost you hundreds of dollars just for access.

Competition is to remove products sold from other stores? Jeez, I should have known.

I didn't realize the PC had to uphold to certain standards. Is that why my freesync monitor wont work on NVidia cards?

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
So instead of a discount people in Europe actually pay more now

THANKS COMPETITION

lmao
I'm in Europe and I only pay more than what's shown when choosing to pay with PaySafe Card.
But otherwise it's still 59,99€ for the normal edition, so hurray for those 0% savings passed on the customers :P