• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
You would think the dev behind metro would want to reach everyone and maximize profits, metro isn't exactly a juggernaut of a franchise. But I guess I don't know anything about business.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
You would think the dev behind metro would want to reach everyone and maximize profits, metro isn't exactly a juggernaut of a franchise. But I guess I don't know anything about business.

It's just numbers.

What's the expected return on Steam sales on day one and going forward versus the bag of money, expected sales on the EGS and expected sales on Steam post February 14th 2020.

There is some negative PR to take into account but I think most of the backlash will land on Epic's lap.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017

I thought so too. Launching on steam sounds like the best move in order to make the franchise bigger than what it is now with the positive reception the trailers have had so far and the goodwill from the previous games. Maybe preorders and other metrics were too bad and they thought getting a big paycheck upfront was the best course of action to mitigate the risk.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The Epic Store isn't cheaper.

First up, the 10$ offer only applies to a small handful of regions anyways.

Secondly, even if the 10$ discount would be a global offer, buying a game on steam would still be cheaper due to steam supporting third-party resellers that systematically give you a 15-20$ discount.
The Epic Store isn't cheaper.

Aren't the people preordering on Steam paying the full $60?

However, straight up making a game that people had already ordered on another platform exclusive to your own at the last minute is a dick move.

How is it a 'dick move' when all preorders are being honored on Steam?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Aren't the people preordering on Steam paying the full $60?
If they bought it today they did, yes. I don't know if the pre-order was ever discounted in Steam itself. Don't be surprised if a lot of those panic sales end up being cancelled and refunded.

That being said, the whole point of Steam is that you didn't have to buy it through Steam. You could have used any of the many key selling services and paid less.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
What a dick move.

Might pick it up cheap later on steam.

Fuck Epic/ten cent.

There is no reason why this game should bot be sold on origin, steam and windows store as well as the Epic store and let the customer decide.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What are you on about mate?

The Epic Store is the only one of that lot actually deserving of scorn and the only one getting it in this thread.

What the actual fuck are you talking about.

Gog, Itch, Origin, etc don't get anywhere near the level of scorn the Epic store gets, and with good reason.

Protip: if you're going to use alt accounts created the same day to post essentially the same message at the same time, at least try not to use the same words like "scorn". :D

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Protip: if you're going to use alt accounts created the same day to post essentially the same message at the same time, at least try not to use the same words like "scorn". :D

That is an alarming coincidence (enough that I wonder myself), but I would point out that the start date for this message board was right around then. Your and my profiles were both created a day after those two, for example.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That is an alarming coincidence (enough that I wonder myself), but I would point out that the start date for this message board was right around then. Your and my profiles were both created a day after those two, for example.

I'm really half joking; it's quite possible this is a coincidence. I don't know which would be funnier, though. :D

I think what makes it the most damning is the use of "scorn". It's such a weirdly specific word to use in this situation.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great deduction, Holmes. My account and Dream-Vision's account above were also created on that same date. Gestault's was created 1 day after, just like yours.

It's almost like due to some weird coincidence all of us created an account the day the forum came online, or in your case the day after...

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Seems like there's a bunch of extreme reactions happening on this thread which don't appear to match the perceived slight. From justifying piracy, deleting free Epic accounts, boycotting until 2020, raging in all caps, perpetuating unsubstantiated money hatting conspiracies, to panic buying the full priced Steam version today, and none of these sound like a normal reaction to a videogame switching storefronts on the same platform. These smaller developers and publishers gotta eat, so 4A/Deep Silver made a decision that makes sense for them and their bottomline and hopefully they get to keep making awesome content for the foreseeable future. No need to hate and punish a developer for trying to make ends meet in this difficult and crowded market.

Bummer that EU doesn't get that $10 discount, but hasn't Epic already stated that regional pricing is coming soon?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Great deduction, Holmes. My account and Dream-Vision's account above were also created on that same date. Gestault's was created 1 day after, just like yours.

It's almost like due to some weird coincidence all of us created an account the day the forum came online, or in your case the day after...

I was this close to mentioning in my post that the creation date is the least relevant bit of information because of that (you really think I forgot the chaos of those days?) so that pedants like you didn't feel the need to point it out, but it made it considerably less funny.

Of course that doesn't explain the other, more relevant and unlikely coincidences, but hey, coincidences do happen.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fortunately I can wait these days (will wait for Steam AND a sale now), but man, what a dick move.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Right now it seems like Metro Exodus benefited from having their Steam page up as free marketing, letting Valve's algorithms help prop it up on popular upcoming and suggestion lists, only to pull it at the last minute before release.

Now I really wonder if Valve will put something to prevent this sort of thing. Like, making developers agree that if you open pre-orders on Steam you can't sign an exclusivity deal down the track.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-By and Ignoring Mod Post
I'm sorry 4A but this one is now a skip because of this.

Fucking shame.

LOL

Steam has literally conditioned people in this very thread into actually being upset about being able to get the game for cheaper elsewhere.

Astounding.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

I would have to be insanely stupid to do that.

Fortunately I can wait these days (will wait for Steam AND a sale now), but man, what a dick move.

Same. Typically if I really want to support a dev I buy the game up front even if I do not intend to play it for a while.

This will NOT be one of those game.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL

Steam has literally conditioned people in this very thread into actually being upset about being able to get the game for cheaper elsewhere.

Astounding.

Except you were previously able to get the game for even cheaper from third party stores that sold Steam keys, and the cheaper price touted for the EGL is only available for customers in the US, not all territories. Would do you a lot of good to read the thread more carefully!

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Does Epic even have any sort of refund system? No review system, no way to report bugs. Its absolutely baffling.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Does Epic even have any sort of refund system? No review system, no way to report bugs. Its absolutely baffling.

Yes, but you have to email support to get a refund. Thankfully they adopted the Steam refund system after receiving a backlash to their original plan of giving out 2 refunds a year. Not to mention the fact that an email with Epic customer support found its way to reddit by giving a customer a hassle in attempting to refund a title.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I swear people are just shitposting now.
It's been going on for 46 pages.

LOL

Astounding.

It's now more expensive than it's been on PC. Before this deal, we could buy it from a large number of stores that provided better deals than Epic. Also, that $10 discount is only available in certain markets (US), while being as expensive or more expensive elsewhere.

But please, tell me how we've been conditioned. I'm all ears.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yes, but you have to email support to get a refund. Thankfully they adopted the Steam refund system after receiving a backlash to their original plan of giving out 2 refunds a year.
well that's good. see? that's what competition is supposed to look like, no moneyhats required.

Steam had a better consumer service feature (true refunds) and Epic had to step up to match. Perfect. Everyone wins.

I'm still waiting on the consumer feature that the Epic store has that Steam does not. Keeping games away from the largest storefront on the PC ain't it.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
LOL

Astounding.
lmao era has conditioned shitposting to a whole new degree.
mind boggling.

cheaper in the us, for me its actually 15 dollars more expensive...so i bought it on steam. cause you know, i have achievements, i can stream the game, i can take screenshots, i can upload them to a community, have a presence, put them on my profile, check the fps, SHARE IT WITH FAM or friends without steam giving a shit about it. Ya, 10 dollars cheaper in the USA with absolutely NO OTHER BENEFIT.

great argument BRO.

oh oh...and...NO CLOUD SAVES. Even GoG has cloud saves in 2019. No offline play is another one. my god, i could just go on and on about how epic shit store is so bad. but wont cause you know, you will not listen. just like you never read any of the arguments in the last 46 pages.

Last edited:

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Now I really wonder if Valve will put something to prevent this sort of thing. Like, making developers agree that if you open pre-orders on Steam you can't sign an exclusivity deal down the track.
They totally should, juggling four different friends lists, four different libraries and four different achievement lists is honestly such a nuisance. I will be waiting for 2020 and mayve buying it if I dont have anything else to play at the time.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Nothing unsubstantiated about money hatting.
From a Russian-spoken podcast that Sergey Galyonkin co-hosts
"There will be (PC) games that have timed exclusivity to the EGS. Galyonkin says that Epic pays for this. "
Galyonkin is currently the Director of Publishing Strategy at Epic Games

Ah, thank you for this. Still not sure how this is a bad thing though. Deep Silver and 4A seem like small-ish operations in a difficult turbulent market, shouldn't we be happy they're valued by competing storefronts so much they get a bonus for a timed exclusivity deal? It's not like they took the game off the PC or anything.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Ah, thank you for this. Still not sure how this is a bad thing though. Deep Silver and 4A seem like small-ish operations in a difficult turbulent market, shouldn't we be happy they're valued by competing storefronts so much they get a bonus for a timed exclusivity deal? It's not like they took the game off the PC or anything.
That rationalization though. Steam evil, EGS good.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They are taking a big risk with their IP and reputation by unceremoniously removing the game from the biggest storefront on PC. A game that was set to sell well as big games have been doing on Steam for quite awhile now.

Certainly nobody wishes bad news upon them, but they are sacrificing considerable sales potential on Steam and making a bet that people will buy it on Epic.

We will see in due time whether that risk and reputation hit was worth it. The damage done today may be forgotten completely in a month. Who knows.

Oct 25, 2017

Deep Silver is owned by THQ Nordic, who is by no means a 'small-ish operation'. 4A themselves have 150 employees, making them quite larger than a lot of other dev studios as well. But from the sounds of it, the team at 4A did not want this and it was forced upon the project by Deep Silver. This is not a small-ish studio being saved by Epic.

Also, this move effectively removed the game from the PC for people in less financially-stable markets where Valve has to adapt pricing significantly to make sales feasable for gamers in those regions - to say nothing of the countries that outright can no longer buy the game at all because EGL cannot do business there whereas Valve can.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017

Deep Silver is part of the THQ Nordic empire so I wouldn't say they are that small.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

The thing is, we have no idea how much money Deep Silver is receiving and how much of this payoff from Epic they will share with 4AGames. 4A could take the brunt of the damage by the Metro brand getting tarnished while Deep Silver counts the money they received from Epic. Not guaranteed for certain 4A turns out well in this situation.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
That rationalization though. Steam evil, EGS good.
Huh? Good and evil are your words, not mine. Mid-tier developers appear to be struggling these days, so any edge in the market sounds like good business sense to me. Developing videogames is a business right? Seems like any sane head of studio would take Epic up on an offer of additional funds, marketing push, and access to a potentially new customer base.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What a drag. I went to see if I could still put a pre-order through in Steam, but it's taken down. I'd rather pay the $10 more to have my stuff in the same place.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Speaking as someone who likes metro series, I really hope this game bombs, i don't want any other games i want to play to use that shitstain of a launcher. We need to vote with our wallet if we want to stop this bullshit.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Huh? Good and evil are your words, not mine. Mid-tier developers appear to be struggling these days, so any edge in the market sounds like good business sense to me. Developing videogames is a business right? Seems like any sane head of studio would take Epic up on an offer of additional funds, marketing push, and access to a potentially new customer base.
I have no idea about 4A's financials (guessing neither do you), or how a move like this would actually help your sales.. you know.. removing yourself completely from the biggest marketplace on the PC while garnering quite a bit of bad publicity.. but I think Steam is bad and its gotta go. Love that people get to pay more for the game. Hopefully the... "marketing push" pays off.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
The thing is, we have no idea how much money Deep Silver is receiving and how much of this payoff from Epic they will share with 4AGames. 4A could take the brunt of the damage by the Metro brand getting tarnished while Deep Silver counts the money they received from Epic. Not guaranteed for certain 4A turns out well in this situation.
Hopefully 4A has a healthy partnership with Deep Silver, and shares in the benefits of this deal. Haven't seen any evidence that Deep Silver is shady with developers.

From what i understand they did make it unavailable to Chinese people on pc and they also don't have proper regional pricing which makes it very difficult for some regions to afford.
Hasn't Epic stated that regional pricing is on the way? I remember entering and updating regional pricing for a game publisher in the past and that was a tedious pain in the butt. Weird to exclude the China market given that Epic is in part owned by a major Chinese company. A shame if that doesn't get rectified.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Speaking as someone who likes metro series, I really hope this game bombs, i don't want any other games i want to play to use that shitstain of a launcher. We need to vote with our wallet if we want to stop this bullshit.
I will never understand this type of punitive mindset. People's (family) lives would negatively affected if your wishes came to past... over a storefront change... smh