• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I got Steam. I also have Uplay, Origin, Epic and GOG. I buy the games from whoever offers them cheaper. Still don't get the big fuss about it to be honest. Could you tell me why you think it is so bad?

By the way, I'm not planning on buying Metro as it's not the kind of game I'm into.

Jesus mate, have you not seen the glut of Epic threads we've had by now?

Briefest summary, many are opposed to the idea of exclusives in the PC space, doubly so when they're tied to a shit client

Last edited:

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Jesus mate, have you not seen the glut of Epic threads we've had by now

Not really, haven't been online much lately. Judging by the agressive answers I'm getting from this thread, I think I'm just gonna go back to check this place every now and then and try not to ask any questions.

Edit: I've read about 15 pages of the thread now and I see most people are annoyed at the moneyhatting. So pissed off that a lot of tthem attack people who dare to ask why.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, haven't been online much lately. Judging by the agressive answers I'm getting from this thread, I think I'm just gonna go back to check this place every now and then and try not to ask any questions.

Edit: I've read about 15 pages of the thread now and I see most people are annoyed at the moneyhatting. So pissed off that a lot of tthem attack people who dare to ask why.

Well we've been getting incessantly trolled by corporate stans on this so many are certainly edgy right now

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't see any benefits from this, can you tell me why this is a good thing for you to accept?

The more games the better as far as I am concerned. The bigger the titles means a larger amount of people on the platform spending even more money, more activity on the store means they'll spend more time and resources on getting the store up to par with features and availability to other regions. The more competition the better is the primary reason behind my support of Epic's moves thus far, there is no denying that it is a pretty underhanded way of operating but that's what you have to do sometimes, it's not like there isn't any precedent for it.

At the end of the day this move doesn't affect me negatively therefore I support it, primarily because I would like to see another major platform in this market but also because I have immense patience and usually don't buy games anywhere near release so if this doesn't work out at all I'll just buy it in a year on Steam.

"Le competition without competing storefronts, Steam evil and Epic the little good guy." Mark my words.

And I was wondering why this thread was 33 pages long.

I can't buy this game anymore on PC because of this move as well as many others, so thanks I guess.

That is unfortunate and I understand why you would be unhappy but I did not make this decision and am allowed to my opinion.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Has this been posted before? I dunno if we've had an official clear confirmation of this earlier, it's getting hard to keep up with both the news and the threads.

(for those who can't see linked tweets, it's a tweet from the official account that says "Physical editions of Metro Exodus will ship with Epic keys")

I know the discussion has taken a completely different turn now, so this seems sorta out of place at this point in the thread. Just wanted to make it clear if it wasn't.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day this move doesn't affect me negatively therefore I support it,

"Something doesn't effect me in a positive or negative way, so I support it" is one of the most ridiculous things a human being can say. At least it's in the top ten category. There is so much wrong with this statement that every single person reading it lost hope in humanity by 5%.
It's the definition of unlogical nonsense. You should feel bad for making our entire human race look worse then it is. And it's already not a shining beacon of light.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
The more competition the better is the primary reason behind my support of Epic's moves thus far, there is no denying that it is a pretty underhanded way of operating but that's what you have to do sometimes, it's not like there isn't any precedent for it.
As best I'm aware there isn't a precedent to this on PC. We have plenty of launchers but none of their respective companies have stooped to this tactic, not even by those in a financial position to do so (such as Microsoft). Some have chosen not to release their own games on Steam but none have actively sought to aggressively take third-party games away from other stores, and particularly not ones already up for pre-order mere weeks before release. Many insist Valve will be forced to lower their cut but what exactly will that achieve? Even if Valve went right down to 0% it wouldn't stop Epic from money-hatting the games away. So there's not really much it can do to compete with that other than to start money-hatting games itself. That is the worst kind of competition.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The more games the better as far as I am concerned. The bigger the titles means a larger amount of people on the platform spending even more money, more activity on the store means they'll spend more time and resources on getting the store up to par with features and availability to other regions. The more competition the better is the primary reason behind my support of Epic's moves thus far, there is no denying that it is a pretty underhanded way of operating but that's what you have to do sometimes, it's not like there isn't any precedent for it.

At the end of the day this move doesn't affect me negatively therefore I support it, primarily because I would like to see another major platform in this market but also because I have immense patience and usually don't buy games anywhere near release so if this doesn't work out at all I'll just buy it in a year on Steam.

And I was wondering why this thread was 33 pages long.

That is unfortunate and I understand why you would be unhappy but I did not make this decision and am allowed to my opinion.

This is why no customer should be supportive of that

unknown.png

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has this been posted before? I dunno if we've had an official clear confirmation of this earlier, it's getting hard to keep up with both the news and the threads.

(for those who can't see linked tweets, it's a tweet from the official account that says "Physical editions of Metro Exodus will ship with Epic keys")

I know the discussion has taken a completely different turn now, so this seems sorta out of place at this point in the thread. Just wanted to make it clear if it wasn't.

Edit:

Forget it, I'm an absolute idiot.

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

Oh god, if true then thank god I preordered it on Steam then.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Zanzura

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm a bit confused now. I thought e.g. cdkeys buys retail versions from "cheaper" regions of the world and then sells just the keys. So, they should also get Steam keys?
This also means that somebody not wanting to use the epic store, but want to play the game could walk into a BestBuy, Walmart or order from Amazon and still get a steam key. Even after release. Or am I absolutely on the wrong path here?

It's all Epic keys now.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Oh god, if true then thank god I preordered it on Steam then.
The same info is now also in the Metro Exodus site's FAQ.

Epic's FAQ still has this gem:
I have pre-ordered a physical copy of Metro Exodus for PC. How will this news affect me?
This will not affect you at all. You will receive your packaged game with a key allowing you to play.
Yeah "not effect you at all"... you just thought you bought a Steam key with Steam features and now you get an Epic Store key with none of the features you thought you would get! Woop!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bit of an update, Typing Metro in the search bar on Steam only brings up the first two games now, Metro Redux doesn't show up, don't know if it was Valve or Deep Silver that did this, but worth noting the change nonetheless.

The store page is still accessible, But not through the search function. Can developers hide their store pages from search results? Makes me think its a Valve thing.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The store page is still accessible, But not through the search function. Can developers hide their store pages from search results? Makes me think its a Valve thing.
There's no need for that, as the game is still coming to Steam in 2020. So technically, it's still a Steam game, not entirely removed.

Edit: Wait, perhaps I mistook it with another game. There are so many epic exclusivity deals lately, some are permanent, some others are timed (1 year).

Oct 25, 2017

Ashen's still searchable. If they did it to both it would look like policy, but doing it to just one would look a bit petty. I think this is more likely to be Deep Silver making it harder for people to find the forum to dump on them.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ashen's still searchable. If they did it to both it wold look like policy, but doing it to just one would look a bit petty. I think this is more likely to be Deep Silver making it harder for people to find the forum to dump on them.

Yeah I was just wondering if developers could hide their games from search results or could only Valve do that. But the fact that Metro is the only hidden title seems like Deep Silver did it.

Ridiculous that they'll go out of their way to hide their game from the search results but keep the release date as "February 15th 2019" though.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah I was just wondering if developers could hide their games from search results or could only Valve do that. But the fact that Metro is the only hidden title seems like Deep Silver did it.

Ridiculous that they'll go out of their way to hide their game from the search results but keep the release date as "February 15th 2019" though.
Because the game is still releasing on February 15th 2019, for those who've pre-ordered it on Steam. Then it will be officially out on Steam next year for the masses. So basically, the Steam version of Metro Exodus has 2 release dates.

It's a mess.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Unauthorized digital retailers will be selling keys taken from retail copies.

Since the Epic deal was announced, the game has been pulled from all authorised digital retailers, except for Epic Store.

Oct 25, 2017
Im not happy with this situation either but that picture is nonsense. There are plenty Epic key sellers.
https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-metro-exodus-cd-key-compare-prices/

None of them are official which is why they don't show up on ITAD. They're all grey market, hence the sudden shift from steam to epic keys, whilst official sellers will still be sending out steam keys to people who already ordered but are otherwise not selling the game anymore.

I also wouldn't buy anything off G2Play or allkeyshop unless it was literally impossible to get elsewhere. If you really want to go that route, somewhere like CDKeys or Instant Gaming are far more reputable.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
So many people have the Epic game client on their computers now thanks to the popularity of FortNite.

Well yes, but a shit ton of these people are kids. Kids who probably won't be interested by a game like Metro, who's a dark story-driven singleplayer game. They just won't give a fuck.

So the Epic store won't help to enlarge the player base of Metro. More like the other way in fact.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
£49.99 in the UK. What a fucking joke.

Although G2Play have it for £36/40 euros, EU people.
https://www.g2play.net/category/59747/metro-exodus-pre-order-eu-epic-games-cd-key/

Im not happy with this situation either but that picture is nonsense. There are plenty Epic key sellers.
https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-metro-exodus-cd-key-compare-prices/

Grey or Black market.
This picture is only about authorized resellers.
These sellers you linked either wont have keys or get them through physical copies.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Well we've been getting incessantly trolled by corporate stans on this so many are certainly edgy right now

More like some of you have been unduly hostile over this issue.

I've seen folks here with posts cheering on the review-bombing of the older Metro games. That's toxic stuff.

Are you sure you aren't just one of those hyper-toxic pro-consumer people?

There's a reason why 'pro-consumer' is put in air quotes in that tweet.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Grey or Black market.
These sellers you linked either wont have keys or get them through physical copies.

Bottom line is, alternatives exist for folks to buy the keys. That's something.
When the dust settles, and if the EGS thrives, no doubt we'll have more key resellers selling EGS keys.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grey or Black market.
honestly didn't realise your photo was authorized sellers only, my mistake!
Not a single authorized one and bunch of especially shady ones. Great.
Its something, I guess. It sure beats handing £50 over in the Epic store when its good old reliable cdkeys.

I am not happy with what Epic are doing one bit, but that doesn't mean I won't try and find the best price for me to play what is shaping up to an awesome game.
It also doesn't mean im gonna boycott, fuck that. I'm not waiting till 2020 to play it.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
I can pretty much recycle my thoughts on Division 2...

I played and enjoyed the Metro games first on consoles and then later the PC version through Steam. As a previous customer who enjoys the Metro releases I am simply disappointed that they don't seem to value my choice of store.

They're offering non-essential products for sale in a market with plenty of substitutes so their consumers should always be their ultimate consideration. If they choose not to be interested in my existing buying habits and want instead to drive me elsewhere, they are going to have to convince me that the elsewhere in question is a compelling alternative. There are literally thousands of games competing for my time so it's really no great shakes to miss one if it is not available to purchase in a way/place I feel comfortable using.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
The fuck is this idiot spewing?
Toxic Pro-Consumer?

Is this an alt-right journalist? Hail corporate?
I read it twice and I have no godly clue what on earth is happening in Nathan's mind. How do these journalists end up defending the dumbest of the takes? I can already imagine the future headlines about online paywalling "these entitled, neckbeard, nerd, incel crybabies are mad for paying for nothing. Valve spent years of cultivating free online and thats bad."

I also read some of his twitter posts and found this gem:

"which is not to say I'm not skeptical of epic. I like that they're giving devs a bigger cut of revenue and focusing on creating a less toxic environment, but leaning hard into exclusives is always gonna be a divisive tactic--one you've gotta justify w a worthwhile platform."

Wow...

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"which is not to say I'm not skeptical of epic. I like that they're giving devs a bigger cut of revenue and focusing on creating a less toxic environment, but leaning hard into exclusives is always gonna be a divisive tactic--one you've gotta justify w a worthwhile platform."

Wow...
I mean he's not wrong. Steam Discussion pages are some of the most toxic video-game based message boards I have ever seen. Valve fosters an insanely toxic community that they seemingly have no desire to even attempt to moderate appropriately, but I am not sure what that has to do with Epic's moneyhatting so its a bit irrelevant for him to bring it up. If Epic not having a Games Discussion Board set up being considered as 'focusing on creating a less toxic environment' then fucking lol.

I wonder if he considers EGS to be a 'worthwhile platform' because right now its so embarrassingly bare-bones im not sure how anyone could consider it so.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is where our thoughts on the matter collide. You'll have to elaborate on this further because I don't see how it's anti-consumerism. It's their money, their property, their game--they aren't obligated to release it anywhere, at a specific time or at a specific store. This is the result of a free, open market; products don't exist to solely favor me as a consumer, they exist to create demand and if you demand it you're free to buy it.
I feel like you're conflating things. Just because something is profitable to the publishers or the result of the free, open market doesn't mean that it's not anti consumer. If I made a DRM that had an unbreakable protection (thus being very appealing to pubs) but only had a single activation before the consumer is permanently locked out of their purchase and absolutely murdered the performance of the system it's being used on, it would be both free market and anti consumer. If BP bought out Ford and made it so that you could only refill your Ford car at their station, it would also be free market and anti consumer.

Ultimately the situation with Metro Exodus is as follow: Epic moneyhatted koch specifically to prevent them from releasing the game anywhere other than their store. Not only does this bring nothing for the consumer (unlike GOG which offers DRM free games for example), but it actually takes things away from them (the freedom to choose where to purchase the game and what client to use) and force them to use a client that's objectively worse than Steam is. This deal might be good for epic and koch but it's harmful to everyone else, especially the consumer. We, the consumers, are worse off with this deal than we were without. Hence, anti consumerism.
7miltc7kmi321.png

t9QwXZX.png

I entered that conversation midway and seemingly halfway through a group of others talking. So maybe I should have just sat it out instead of interjecting myself, because Bronson's reply leaves me even more confused trying to understand what lies are being told leading to his disappointment? Him being cryptic isn't really helping unless I'm just not following.

I understand some hyperbole or vitriolic anger, such as the over the top "hope this company fails and closes" lashing out causing some disappointment. But I'm not sure how that translates into lying? Usually if you're not an actual asshole that's just some shooting from the hip anger you don't really mean. Like not actually getting excited about unemployment. But as I said to Bronson capitalism is capitalism. If the buyer has "consequences" for not spending their money, then a company has "consequences" for the way it conducts itself and the decisions it makes.

A very unpopular business decision has been made and there is a response from the buying market about what they think. I don't think there's much lying going on and I do expect a reasonable portion of responders to follow through. Will it be enough to hurt sales? Probably not with whatever epic have compensated. But it's hurting PR and that has its own complications above and beyond cold hard cash.
I agree with this, but unfortunately I can't help you with Bronson's comments. I'm just as confused as you are.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
I mean he's not wrong. Steam Discussion pages are some of the most toxic video-game based message boards I have ever seen. Valve fosters an insanely toxic community that they seemingly have no desire to even attempt to moderate appropriately, but I am not sure what that has to do with Epic's moneyhatting so its a bit irrelevant for him to bring it up. If Epic not having a Games Discussion Board set up being considered as 'focusing on creating a less toxic environment' then fucking lol.

I wonder if he considers EGS to be a 'worthwhile platform' because right now its so embarrassingly bare-bones im not sure how anyone could consider it so.

Steam forums for games are under the control of the developers and publishers. They're generally sewer trash, yet they don't have to be. The companies rarely put much effort into policing them, yet their existence in general is mandatory, ergo the issue.

You'll be pleased to note that there has been a policy change.

valve said:
"In the past, we've been hesitant to get involved in the moderation of individual game discussions, as we didn't want to step on the toes of game developers that want to have their own style of communication with players and their own set of guidelines for behavior," they explained. "But over time, we've been hearing from more and more game developers that would actually prefer for us to take a more active role in discussion boards, at least to the extent of handling posts that are reported by other players."

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol, what's next?

Medical research, facts and years of data have cultivated a hyper-toxic "pro vaccination" crowd!

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I feel like you're conflating things. Just because something is profitable to the publishers or the result of the free, open market doesn't mean that it's not anti consumer. If I made a DRM that had an unbreakable protection (thus being very appealing to pubs) but only had a single activation before the consumer is permanently locked out of their purchase and absolutely murdered the performance of the system it's being used on, it would be both free market and anti consumer. If BP bought out Ford and made it so that you could only refill your Ford car at their station, it would also be free market and anti consumer.

Ultimately the situation with Metro Exodus is as follow: Epic moneyhatted koch specifically to prevent them from releasing the game anywhere other than their store. Not only does this bring nothing for the consumer (unlike GOG which offers DRM free games for example), but it actually takes things away from them (the freedom to choose where to purchase the game and what client to use) and force them to use a client that's objectively worse than Steam is. This deal might be good for epic and koch but it's harmful to everyone else, especially the consumer. We, the consumers, are worse off with this deal than we were without. Hence, anti consumerism.
7miltc7kmi321.png

t9QwXZX.png

I agree with this, but unfortunately I can't help you with Bronson's comments. I'm just as confused as you are.
Those pics need to be updated with regional pricing. Epic is making day one purchases affordable for us in the Caribbean.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More like some of you have been unduly hostile over this issue.

I've seen folks here with posts cheering on the review-bombing of the older Metro games. That's toxic stuff.

There's a reason why 'pro-consumer' is put in air quotes in that tweet.

Yes, it's the ideological purity test around what being 'pro-consumer' means as an attempt to ride in on a high horse saying the plebs below you aren't actually being pro-consumer, they're toxic. You're the pro-consumer one. You know best. You're the man of the people. You keep your emotions in check and always act like 'Joe Cool' never using bad language, never being negative, never displaying a passion for wanting the games industry to be better at times.

I think in life many find out largely speaking, what is pro-consumer, is what the majority ask for. Can consumers have unrealistic expectations at times? Heck yes. Expecting a company not to pull a bait and switch 2 weeks before release, with next to no communication in advance (probably due to it being a last minute moneyhat) that leaves people confused, asking questions and angry is not an "unrealistic expectation". It's not toxic to think that is a fucking mess. It's not even toxic to cancel your purchase due to that. The only thing that can be toxic here is anyone going on twitter sending personal @ replies using slurs, threats, out of control anger or more. That goes without saying. A large majority of people will not be doing that though, at worst they'll be using some bad language on forums, social media (in general, not personal) or leaving negative feedback.

The vast majority of companies will never make such a mess of a business deal as what is surrounding Metro Exodus. Even if they are thinking of working exclusively with epic, you can count for me at the end of this year how many companies announce timed exclusivity at their unveiling/months if not years out vs any doing it 2 weeks before release after pre-orders and retailers have already started selling steam keys.

That's before we get into any ideological thinking around are timed money hats pro-consumer at any point? Console owners have argued that war for ages, and to a large extent have seen a decrease in it happening on console, with both Sony and MS trending more towards either 1st party, or actually funding a 3rd party project which everyone should argue gives you IP rights or exclusivity. Simply dropping money to say don't release this anywhere else for a year has never been popular, it's been tolerated at times, but most of that tolerating has happened on a console with closed off hardware/software environment(s). PC owners were never going to handle timed exclusivity as openly as some console owners have/did.

But I think it goes without saying if this is going to be how it continues on PC now for the next 12~24 months, if you're a developer/publisher, you best be sorting your exclusivity deals out for announcement of your project or early on in development.

Last edited:

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
If Ubisoft was willing to take the deal, I don't blame Deep Silver to take it. It must be some crazy amount of money.