• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
If I'm Epic right now, I offer a AAA game for free. That always shuts gamers up like clockwork. Grab another exclusive next month, offer a free game a month after that. Rinse and repeat. Carrot and stick to placate the masses.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
So, about the dev post, I looked at his profile and someone thanked him for making a Metro game back in the 2010. Take it as you will.

Could be anything, could be an ex-employee, could be someone having a bad day, in the end it's one guy. I'm all for calling higher ups like Tim Sweeney tweeting nonsense but can't really get mad over a random rant on a Russian forum.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
If (big If) that dev post is true, is one more example of them handling this whole thing in the worse possible way, and I'm going to refrain from typing what I'm really thinking because it would not be... polite.

Epic money hat to get Metro.
The result is a cheaper game for me.
What's so wrong about it?
Exodus on Steam was 28.95 USD in Brazil, and is 39.99 USD on EGS. How this is cheaper?

To be fair, Deep Silver raised the price of Metro in Brazil in December to... the exact same price (more or less with currency conversion) that it is now on EGS. So "it's now cheaper" is still not true.

And keep in mind the user *Guaraná is the same one that had this thread locked yesterday because it got derailed by this exact subject because he said in the op "PC is starting to set itself free from Valve ", so I don't know if I buy the "I don't know about this" routine.

Are you sure? Because they were rolling out major regional pricing changes, like... yesterday.
They are implementing regional prices mostly in US dollars. Local currencies and local payment methods are going to take longer (they do have some, but a lot less than regions for pricing now).

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Could be anything, could be an ex-employee, could be someone having a bad day, in the end it's one guy. I'm all for calling higher ups like Tim Sweeney tweeting nonsense but can't really get mad over a random rant on a Russian forum.
Honestly, maybe I'm reading way too much into it, but what rubs me the wrong way is how he phrases his post, it's almost like we owe him something. But yeah, I agree that we shouldn't crucify an entire studio even if the post has been made by one of the currently working employees.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I might see now what you guys are saying. I might not completely agree, but I understand the point.
Sorry for trying to minimize it.

Well here's the thing; why pay to remove it from Steam?

Release it on Epic. Offer the $50 price point. Add the regional pricing. Compete. Let the consumer decide who they want to buy from.

If Epic weren't being such dicks it'd be great having another option. But that's not what's happening at all.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you don't play on PC then? Because if you did you'd understand going from ten stores competing for your money, versus being forced to buy from one.
There is some ambiguity around physical copies. Mainly because we've yet to lay eyes on a physical copy of Metro Exodus and one of these fabled Epic keys. (I don't think they've even been implemented in EGS yet.)

If physical copies do exist, and are produced by publishers such as Deep Silver in sufficient quantities in various regions, particularly Europe, this means the physically sourced grey market will be fed. However, Epic are nowhere near as versatile as Steam or uPlay in this regard. Ubisoft games have your typical grey market keys, typically from European physical copies. But they also have official partnerships with GMG and such. That's what the Epic Store is missing. There's a distinct lack of planning and infrastructure on Epic's part. Also a lack of clear PR.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading his entire post in Russian was quite eye opening. Arrogance and entitlement in almost every word. He believes that people who are against Epic deal were never their customers, that they're, unlike 4A, incapable of creating something great.

The original post was made from 10 years old account of someone who claims to be from Ukraine. It can be a troll of course, but I don't think the site in question is popular enough for that kind of thing.
https://www.gameru.net/forum/index.php?showuser=11266

Can you translate better than Google?

I think InquisitorAles might know Russian as well so I'll tag him and ask about this comment https://www.gameru.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=71769&view=findpost&p=1648737

Not a good look from the dev if they're essentially trying to do what some did in here and state everyone unhappy/not buying, for now, is toxic. Not everyone is bloody pirating the game now because of this, don't use that as your out.

That's a cheap out and shows you aren't listening.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Allegedly some dev from 4A Games responded to whole situation.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/412020/discussions/0/1780513643852520184/

In short if game under performs on PC he thinks that they will skip PC next time.
802.jpg

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ah okay, that seems a bit better than Google and me above thinking it was claiming "everyone" will now pirate.

Scynet also claimed that those that decide to pirate the game would have done so, regardless of this timed-exclusive deal, and those are not the players that the developers target.

I mean that's always been the case, for every dev.

However, the developer went one step further and stated that if all PC gamers boycott Metro Exodus then the next Metro game (if there is one mind you) will not come out on the PC. Now I'm pretty sure that the developer was exaggerating here but it begs the question; how many PC sales can guarantee the continuation of the Metro franchise on the PC?

That's still on the level of pride and accomplishment or something. You don't do a threat/challenge like that and throw it at your userbase to see if it causes them to feel shame/regret about deciding to cancel pre-orders or not buy on Epic store.

It's literally not our fault if sales are now poor, it's your bosses or whoever made this exclusivity deal and kept it secret till 2 weeks-ish before release.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I garantee you I'm not trolling.
The way I see now is not a big deal. But I would like to learn more about it and understand why a "simple" client change is making people angry.

If there's any link you could share with me so I can read more, I would appreciate it.

Maybe start reading this thread then or one the few other dozens that deal with EGS.

But coming in lategame into a 60+ pages thread with another awful hot take, get called out for it and then deflect it with "hurr durr im not trolling just asking question guys" is the textbook definition of trolling.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I garantee you I'm not trolling.
The way I see now is not a big deal. But I would like to learn more about it and understand why a "simple" client change is making people angry.

Chinese cant buy the game for 1 year now, because Epic actively blocks chinese IPs from accessing the store.

People who use Steam BPM and Community features like guides cant do it as easy as before.

People playing on Linux cant use Proton for the game and play it on Linux.

People dont have achievements on the Epic Store version.

People dont have cloud-saves on the Epic Store version.

People cant use the own community features if they have a problem/bugs.

People cant share the game with friends and family because EGS doesnt support Family Sharing.

People cant stream the game with one button click if they want.

So what will Chinese who wanted to buy it at release do? Either wait 1 year or pirate it. And for some games Chinese is the biggest market (PUBG) or at least makes 1/3rd to 1/5th of total owners (some XSeed Games, the first two Atelier titles etc.).

So no. People who pirate might have bought it if its available for good regional pricing in their region. Steam actually proved that when they introduced regional pricing because THATS the whole reason China became Steams 3rd biggest market...

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Maybe start reading this thread then or one the few other dozens that deal with EGS.

But coming in lategame into a 60+ pages thread with another awful hot take, get called out for it and then deflect it with "hurr durr im not trolling just asking question guys" is the textbook definition of trolling.
In my defense, i did read the first 6 pages.
But I just saw people complaining. I failed to see the reason.

But, anyway, you are right.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Have the developers actually responded to why the game is cheaper in America but everyone else has to pay more?

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Can you translate better than Google?

I think InquisitorAles might know Russian as well so I'll tag him and ask about this comment https://www.gameru.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=71769&view=findpost&p=1648737

Not a good look from the dev if they're essentially trying to do what some did in here and state everyone unhappy/not buying, for now, is toxic. Not everyone is bloody pirating the game now because of this, don't use that as your out.

That's a cheap out and shows you aren't listening.
"I have a conflicting opinion about this whole shitstorm. On one hand I can see why some people will be displeased with this move. Nobody ever did something like that before, it's new to people, and as with all things new some people will be ineviatably angered. Plus, you have to install Epic launcher and it might be inconvenient for people as well.

On the other hand reactions from some gamers (threats of piracy and all that) is hardly adequte. It seems like these people were looking for an excuse to spread shit and hate. So, we (developers) spent years of our life trying to create something unique, but some gamers out there think all our hard work doesn't deserve a minute of their time to install another launcher. This is their right of course, but why the hell then they're still talking about Metro. It's obvious they don't care about it. I can only say one thing, these people, they're not our fanbase. Why should I care about their opinion?

But, let's dig deeper. Some people think that if they continue to talk shit about Metro it'll make a world a better place, that it'll show to the greedy devs. I'll say this, if, hypothetically Exodus underperforms on PC, then, in the worst case scenario, the next installment will be a console exclusive. If it's for the best or worst I don't know, make your own judgement. I only know one thing, people who say shit about us are incapable of creating something great."

That's the relevant part, if needed.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This bothers me too- they talked all that shit and now they want the support of PC gamers again. Thank you Epic, very cool!

What does this even mean? Even when they weren't making PC games, they still kept improving the Unreal Engine platform, and engine that powers a healthy chunk of PC games.

I'm not sure why many here keep painting the picture of PC gamers as an angry collective that's all to eager to hold a grudge for perceived slights.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I have a conflicting opinion about this whole shitstorm. On one hand I can see why some people will be displeased with this move. Nobody ever did something like that before, it's new to people, and as with all things new some people will be ineviatably angered. Plus, you have to install Epic launcher and it might be inconvenient for people as well.

On the other hand reactions from some gamers (threats of piracy and all that) is hardly adequte. It seems like these people were looking for an excuse to spread shit and hate. So, we (developers) spent years of our life trying to create something unique, but some gamers out there think all our hard work doesn't deserve a minute of their time to install another launcher. This is their right of course, but why the hell then they're still talking about Metro. It's obvious they don't care about it. I can only say one thing, these people, they're not our fanbase. Why should I care about their opinion?

But, let's dig deeper. Some people think that if they continue to talk shit about Metro it'll make a world a better place, that it'll show to the greedy devs. I'll say this, if, hypothetically Exodus underperforms on PC, then, in the worst case scenario, the next installment will be a console exclusive. If it's for the best or worst I don't know, make your own judgement. I only know one thing, people who say shit about us are incapable of creating something great."

Okay starts off not bad, online translations butchered it a bit, but it doesn't end too great.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't even say the start is that great. "Plus, you have to install Epic launcher and it might be inconvenient for people as well." isn't really the fucking point, and neither is the fact that this is new to people.

It just gets worse from there.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I despise these threats where devs or publishers basically tell you "hey, we did s.th. fucky but don't you dare let it cost us any sales. Otherwise, we'll draw dumb conclusions and cease development of further titles!"

The notion that they basically purposely misinterpret the reasons for backlash and lower sales is pathetic. Of course, that sort of threat is just a farce because they'd rather keep selling and tackle the actual problem the next time around. But threats like that are easy to shout out and boy do fanboys scared of losing their precious franchise love to buy into it and perpetuate this nonsense.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

This translation, if accurate, is far more benign than the backlash here had led me to believe.
He's mostly right. People posting threats and talking about piracy are weird. And folks who are going to boycott the game should ideally just pretend the game doesn't exist.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't even say the start is that great. "Plus, you have to install Epic launcher and it might be inconvenient for people as well." isn't really the fucking point, and neither is the fact that this is new to people.

It just gets worse from there.

I guess I more so meant it's not like the google translate version which made it sound more accusatory around piracy. They start out a bit defensive which okay I'll give them a bit of sympathy for feeling defensive around this shit-storm. But they end going way over the top and the contents of that last paragraph will get meme'd and torn to shreds.

This translation, if accurate, is far more benign than the backlash here had led me to believe.
He's 100% right. People posting threats and talking about piracy are weird. And folks who are going to boycott the game should ideally just pretend the game doesn't exist.

Companies claim they want to hear feedback, especially feedback around why someone will consider buying or won't considering buying. Can't have it both ways when the feedback is negative claiming "just shutup and pretend the game/decision we made doesn't exist".

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
What does this even mean? Even when they weren't making PC games, they still kept improving the Unreal Engine platform, and engine that powers a healthy chunk of PC games.

I'm not sure why many here keep painting the picture of PC gamers as an angry collective that's all to eager to hold a grudge for perceived slights.

https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/18/epics-mike-capps-pc-piracy-changed-our-business-model/

They shifted over to primarily focus on console development while blaming bad PC sales on piracy a number of years ago. This was Seen as a bogus excuse for many reasons.Now that the space is largely rejuvenated, they want their piece of the pie and are forcing their way into the market in a way myself and many others think is intrusive.

Pc gamers are not a hive mind and I'm not pretending to speak on your or anyone else's behalf nor am I endorsing piracy.

Rose

Feb 2, 2019
The translation is incorrect. The part that everyone's talking about is this:

"Но! Рассмотрим ситуацию глубже. Кто-то говорит, что мол обосрав Исход и попутно предыдущие игры серии, он тем самым сделает мир лучше, мол поставит на место жадных разработчиков. На это могу ответить, что в крайнем случае, если вообще все ПК игроки обьявят бойкот Метро, то следующее метро если и выйдет, то точно не на ПК. Лучше от этого будет или хуже, решайте сами. Мне лично будет жалко преданных фанатов, да. Но моей оценки проделаной лично мной и моими друзьями и колегами работы это не поменяет. Я твёрдо знаю, что почти все кто льёт эту грязь в сети, неспособны и на частичку того, что мы сделали и надеюсь, сделаем ещё. А значит - понятия не имеют о чём говорят. "

The correct translation is:
"But! Let's have a closer look at the situation. Some say that having shit on Exodus and the previous games of the series on the way, they will make the world better, sort of putting the greedy developers to their place. To this I can say that at worst, if every single PC player boycotts Metro, then the next metro will certainly not be on PC if it comes out. You decide if it's for the better or for the worse. Personally, yes, I would feel bad for every loyal fan. But it would not affect my evaluation of my personal work and that of my friends and colleagues. I know for sure that nearly everyone that throws this dirt online is incapable of doing even a fraction of what we have done and hopefully are yet to do. So this means that they have no idea what they're talking about."

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Seems a little weird to me, still. I'd have though that Deep Silver would be the ones to make platform decisions for future Metro games, much like it was their decision to pull the Steam release. It would not be an individual dev at 4A that would make that kind of decision. Unless this kind of thing was put out as an official studio communication, I'd not put much stock in it.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Please don't pretend ignorance, you have been in these Epic threads since from the start.

And Epic's history with PC gaming has been brought up before. It's well known they abandoned PC gaming and said the reason was piracy.

Feigning ignorance to attack PC gamers is not going to work.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
He's mostly right. People posting threats and talking about piracy are weird. And folks who are going to boycott the game should ideally just pretend the game doesn't exist.
Why should I pretend that? I liked the first two games. Bought them on multiple platforms even (tried to play FPS on console and that was a failure on my part).

So yeah, I like the previous games, I would play the new one, but I despise the decision process and moneyhatting that happened here. So yeah, not planning to purchase this game. Maybe for under $20 if it comes to Steam in couple years.

Compare that to new Subnautica that released on both Epic and Steam that I happily picked up.

People don't mind that the game released on Epic store but the anti-consumer attitude of everyone involved is bullshit.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/18/epics-mike-capps-pc-piracy-changed-our-business-model/

They shifted over to primarily focus on console development while blaming bad PC sales on piracy a number of years ago. This was Seen as a bogus excuse for many reasons.Now that the space is largely rejuvenated, they want their piece of the pie and are forcing their way into the market in a way myself and many others think is intrusive.

Pc gamers are not a hive mind and I'm not pretending to speak on your or anyone else's behalf nor am I endorsing piracy.

They were well and truly back in the PC development space with Fortnite. Surely you've heard of the game?
The Epic game store doesn't have anything to do with Epic game development, so I fail to see what point you guys are making.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
They were well and truly back in the PC development space with Fortnite. Surely you've heard of the game?
The Epic game store doesn't have anything to do with Epic game development, so I fail to see what point you guys are making.

One single game that is also on consoles is back in the PC development?

After canceling all other games being released? Including a long standing PC franchise?

the Epic game development has nothing to do with the game store? So they aren't spending their fortnite money here?

Funny how you didn't acknowledged their attack on PC gamers and calling them all pirates.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017

You realize both of those things are the same company right

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Why should I pretend that? I liked the first two games. Bought them on multiple platforms even (tried to play FPS on console and that was a failure on my part).

So yeah, I like the previous games, I would play the new one, but I despise the decision process and moneyhatting that happened here. So yeah, not planning to purchase this game. Maybe for under $20 if it comes to Steam in couple years.

Compare that to new Subnautica that released on both Epic and Steam that I happily picked up.

People don't mind that the game released on Epic store but the anti-consumer attitude of everyone involved is bullshit.

And the dev is fine with this attitude! Wait until the Steam release if you must.
What he rightly calls out are the folks constantly heckling on social media, review bombing older games, posting personal threats and repeated proclamations of plans to pirate the game.

Developers are human beings. Why the faux outrage here that a dev is tired of receiving toxic abuse over a business decision made by his publisher?

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Someone should make an "Epic Store problem FAQ" that we can link to every time someone comes into the thread and doesn't understand the problem.

First we have what is basically an unwillingness to support the whole thing Epic is doing. The whole idea of exclusivity deals, and especially when the games are already up on the Steam store but get yanked off from there. And Metro is the absolute worst one, since it was even up for pre-orders before the sudden switch so very close to launch.
It's not the same as announcing an upcoming game (that did not have a "shelf space" on Steam) as a store exclusive. This is more like going into a game store, pulling the game out of someone's hands and putting it on the shelf of another store with other rules.

Then we have the security problem. Yet another company you have to trust with sensitive information, and this company in particular is a huge target (due to Fortnite) and has had some huge security issues before. It's not just "installing a launcher", you have to actually buy the game too.

And then we come to the availability issues, not even being able to buy it in certain regions and not being able to use the store at all if you use Linux (an OS that Steam is supporting a lot from what I understand). In some regions you might still be able to buy it, but it is now more expensive than it was before. Some others got really good prices tho and no one really know where this will end because Epic is apparently scrambling to implement some regional pricing. But for now the pricing can be a big problem depending on where you live.
Another availability issue seems to be lack of an offline mode. To launch some games or even see your library, you and the Epic servers have to be online.

The lack of forums and reviews is a big point. People are going to the Steam forums to get help with problems in games you cannot buy on Steam (yet).

And then we come to the features, or rather the lack of them.
Some refuse to buy games without achievements, some couldn't care less. Some use the community features a whole lot (friend activity, sharing of screenshots and such) while other basically don't even know of their existence.
Controller support, cloud saves, modding. There are a bunch of stuff that are more or less important to people. The one I do not want to let go of if I have any kind of choice is Family Sharing.

Do I buy games on other stores and use other launchers? Yes, for first party exclusives that I really want. No they don't have the features I want but I can take that for these games. The prices are great (thanks to an Origin sale I just got the newest Sims 4 expansion for just over 10€) and I trust these companies.

Do I trust Epic? Nope, neither with keeping my information safe nor their ability to turn their store into something that has even the basic of features. Do I want to support their anti-consumer way of doing things? No.

I am not a Steam-only person (altho I am close to being that), I just don't want to support Epic at all.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
One single game that is also on consoles is back in the PC development?

After canceling all other games being released? Including a long standing PC franchise?

Ironically, this (nearly) perfectly describes Valve. DOTA2 was ages ago, and Artifact is a niche dud.
Fans clamor for more Half-life has gone unanswered.

Funny how you didn't acknowledged their attack on PC gamers and calling them all pirates.

I don't 'acknowledge' things that never happened. There is no universe where saying 'piracy is a big problem on PC' means 'all PC gamers are pirates'.
Let's try to argue in good faith, with facts please.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Ironically, this (nearly) perfectly describes Valve. DOTA2 was ages ago, and Artifact is a niche dud.

I don't 'acknowledge' things that never happened. There is no universe where saying 'piracy is a big problem on PC' means 'all PC gamers are pirates'.
Let's try to argue in good faith, with facts please.

well epic thought there weren't enough non-pirates to sell for an entire plateform.

Until they decided that they have enough money to start buying exclusive for a store with no features in 2019.

And you speaking about good faith is rich.

Also funny how you discount a game that isn't doing well but excuse Epic. Nice double standards.

Valve has still made more games on PC then Epic in the same timeframe. So your argument is specious.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017

valve and their platform did more than pretty much any other company to help PC gaming become as big as it is now. what are you even talking about?