• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Already removed. What did he say?

Weird. I can keep watching it. Anyway, here is the transcription:

"Hello, I'm Dmitri Glukhosvky, the author of the Metro books and the creator of the Metro franchise. For over 20 years, I've been working to bring the story to a different medium, including the video games, thanks to the support, help, and heroic efforts from the part of 4A. The efforts were truly outstanding and so is the outcome of their efforts, with the new Metro Exodus video game coming out in just a week from now.

I'm very sorry about those of you who wanted and expected to release on Steam and who are mislead by the move by the publishers. I understand that the publisher fooling uniquely financed the development of these games so I trust them with the correctness of this solution. Again, we're all very sorry that you're hurt. We just hope that you will not betray us just as we'll stay always faithful to you, bringing the uncompromised story and uncompromised quality of experience. Thank you very much."

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I feel sorry for Glukhovsky and 4A. I understand what he says, Deep Silver put the money on the table and it's their choice on how they want to recoup the money spent. What I don't understand is the talk about betrayal. Players who refuse to buy Metro at EGS aren't betraying anyone, they simply don't want to be treated like shit. Unfortunately for the devs the most effective way to show Deep Silver/THQ that customers don't support practices that are harmful for us is to not spend the money on the game in question. At the end of a day they already received financial incentive from Epic, so, what's the problem again?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I understand the author's intent of making an emotional plea to customers and I understand that the publisher ultimately calls the shots. However, the fact remains that the customers shouldn't be expected to behave and spend their money based on emotion when the other party is operating on strict business terms. If customers end up not buying the game they won't have 'betrayed' the author and the developers but reacted against a business decision with their own business decision.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I feel sorry for Glukhovsky and 4A. I understand what he says, Deep Silver put the money on the table and it's their choice on how they want to recoup the money spent. What I don't understand is the talk about betrayal. Players who refuse to buy Metro at EGS aren't betraying anyone, they simply don't want to be treated like shit. Unfortunately for the devs the most effective way to show Deep Silver/THQ that customers don't support practices that are harmful for us is to not spend the money on the game in question. At the end of a day they already received financial incentive from Epic, so, what's the problem again?

Well said.

For some reason Instagram said the message was removed, but I can see it now as well.

I 'm curious what the responses are. Anyone speaking Russian here?

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Nothing especially interesting. Mostly either "we are loyal fans and we will buy it anywhere", "EGS sucks" or "I'll buy it on console" comments plus pissing contests between commenters.

Haha thanks 😊

I can only hope the first group is a minority. If pc gamers accept Epic's moneyhatting and buy this game on EGS anyway, this may have a significant impact on the future of pc gaming.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Haha thanks 😊

I can only hope the first group is a minority. If pc gamers accept Epic's moneyhatting and buy this game on EGS anyway, this may have a significant impact on the future of pc gaming.

This is possible but I think there are too many games released for Epic to spend money on getting exclusives for all of them. Even if Epic get people to buy Metro from their store front on PC, most will still ignore the Epic Games Store, go back to Steam for everything else, and remember the annoyance of having to use the Epic launcher every time they want to play Metro. This isn't a sustainable business model unless epic want to fund nearly all future games.

The only way Epic is going to sustain their store is if they make it a better place for people to get and play their games then they currently can on Steam. Actually push Steam to get better organically in a way that doesn't seem like it is punishing the consumer. Anything else and people will just reluctantly use the epic games store for games they can't get on Steam at best, and ignore these games at worst.

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
So, just pulling the game out of Steam wasn't enough for Deep Silver, and now they even made a pre-load exclusive to EGS?
014858-MaxthonSnap20190211014504.jpg

Seriously, what are these dumbasses trying to achieve with this shitstorm?

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just read that statement from the author about how he hopes fans don't "betray" them over the Steam fiasco. What kind of bullshit is that? We are customers and no company is entitled to our business, for whatever reason. Shit like that makes me want to buy the game LESS just on principle, regardless of everything else that has gone on :/

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The publisher has clearly made some questionable decisions regarding the release of this game, but I still feel like people are way overreacting to all of this. I don't know, maybe there's something here I'm missing.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The publisher has clearly made some questionable decisions regarding the release of this game, but I still feel like people are way overreacting to all of this. I don't know, maybe there's something here I'm missing.

I've said it a hundred times, but the Epic Store doesn't even have an offline mode. You even have to be online to launch Shadow Complex and Super Meat Boy. That's a huge dealbreaker for me, and I'm baffled the always-online aspect of the store isn't a bigger deal.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Just read that statement from the author about how he hopes fans don't "betray" them over the Steam fiasco. What kind of bullshit is that? We are customers and no company is entitled to our business, for whatever reason. Shit like that makes me want to buy the game LESS just on principle, regardless of everything else that has gone on :/

I won't betray them as I will still purchase the game just not day one. I can wait a year easily.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I won't betray them as I will still purchase the game just not day one. I can wait a year easily.

You also won't betray them because the notion of loyalty shouldn't be a thing between a consumer and a product to the extent that it's considered a betrayal if you don't buy/delay purchasing said product :P You're not morally bound to buy anything.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

I believe the betryal comment is in relation to pirating the game.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
There is something yes.

First it's not just questionable but outright anti-consumer behaviour from both Epic and Deep Silver (Koch Media).

EGS doesn't have basic features like cloud saves or an offline mode, doesn't cover payment costs (since those 12% are not enough, uh oh) and for a whole bunch of customers the game is now either more expensive or the same price but with way less features.

And then we have the security concerns. There have been reports of issues and people in this very thread talk about being bombarded with login attempts. People want those Fortnite accounts. That's not a place where I wanna put my personal info.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a PC pre-load issue? Why would downloading the full game before launch be slower than downloading the game at launch?

Decrpyting the preload takes longer then downloading the actual thing if you've got good internet.

Pre-load is mainly there for people with slow internet who'd like to play the game day 1.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Interesting to watch all this play out

Laughing at all the animosity towards them when they are even dropping the base game price. Oh no a developer wants more money!

Dropped for Americans maybe. Not ROW. It's actually more expensive then it was for me lol.

Is this a PC pre-load issue? Why would downloading the full game before launch be slower than downloading the game at launch?

Well I live in a country with decent infrastructure so preloading isn't useful for me.

It's mainly for people with really slow internet.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
im still not sure why decrpyting always takes so long

is my cpu old or something

It takes long even on modern state hardware. It's prolly just Steam more then anything else.

I don't know how Origin or Uplay does it, but last time I pre-loaded a game was GTA V and that was the first and last time I used it.

It took like 2 and a half hours on a SSD with a 3770k back then. Could have downloaded the whole thing in just 1 hour and a bit.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
It takes long even on modern state hardware. It's prolly just Steam more then anything else.

I don't know how Origin or Uplay does it, but last time I pre-loaded a game was GTA V and that was the first and last time I used it.

It took like 2 and a half hours on a SSD with a 3770k back then. Could have downloaded the whole thing in just 1 hour and a bit.

Definitely doesn't take that long anymore. For me, it's typically 15-20 minutes.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
im still not sure why decrpyting always takes so long

is my cpu old or something

Nothing to do CPU. Even regular downloads are en crypted.

HDDs are very slow, when reading and writing at same time. With downloading every thing will be in memory and can be decrypted without extra read.

And feel s like Steam preload is not ssd optimized. That shouldn't be slow.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Nothing to do CPU. Even regular downloads are en crypted.

Standard game data is delivered in a decrypted state, though. Pre-load data isn't, obviously, so the decryption process does actually use CPU resources to some extent.

Regarding whether pre-loading is worthwhile, I'd say a downstream speed of 250Mbps is the point at which you might as well just download a game at unlock o'clock instead. I've said this before, but Valve really should implement an alternative pre-load option that delivers game data as-is but withholds the nominated executable/s until release, like Battle.net, Origin, Uplay, etc. do.

Last edited:

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
as others have said, I've always noticed preloading sucks ass

if you have even halfway decent internet speed (200 mbit or more), then preloading is useless

now if you have shitty internet, that's on you

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

My preload of BF5 immediately switched to playable after I booted my PC on release. Pretty sure UWP games are the same. Steams approach is just ancient.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Is this real that EGS does not have cloud saves?
This bit bothers me because some games take me a year to finish and a lot can go wrong in that time.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if you have shitty internet, that's on you

Well, no.
Many regions have shitty internet connections. There are sometimes huge difference in cities. Independent of how well developed your country is.
My previous apartment had 16mbit/s max. I moved 10km and am now in 450mbit heaven.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
So, just pulling the game out of Steam wasn't enough for Deep Silver, and now they even made a pre-load exclusive to EGS?
[]https://img.zoneofgames.ru/news/2019/02/11/014858-MaxthonSnap20190211014504.jpg[/IMG]
Seriously, what are these dumbasses trying to achieve with this shitstorm?
At this point, it honestly feels like someone in the boardroom wants to sabotage this release as much as possible.
Well, no.
Many regions have shitty internet connections. There are sometimes huge difference in cities. Independent of how well developed your country is.
My previous apartment had 16mbit/s max. I moved 10km and am now in 450mbit heaven.
Cant wait for the inevitable "build your own internet provider company" response.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Decrpyting the preload takes longer then downloading the actual thing if you've got good internet.

Pre-load is mainly there for people with slow internet who'd like to play the game day 1.
Well I live in a country with decent infrastructure so preloading isn't useful for me.

It's mainly for people with really slow internet.
Based on a comment above, it seems like this is a steam specific issue? If so, steam really needs to improve it so that it instantly unlocks like on other platforms.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wouldn't be shocked if Steam version patches aren't day and date with the EGS version either.

That shouldn't happen:

FAQ said:

Also, that support rep clearly went off-script. The reasoning doesn't even begin to make sense. I doubt they actually know anything.