• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I don't know.

My friends told me that it also took forever for XV to decrypt and they would have been better off just downloading it.

It varies per game but I've pre-loaded lots of games on Steam and on average, it takes me 15-20 minutes to decrypt. Admittedly, I have a pretty beefy PC so that's likely a factor.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
as others have said, I've always noticed preloading sucks ass

if you have even halfway decent internet speed (200 mbit or more), then preloading is useless

now if you have shitty internet, that's on you
Nope.

I'm lucky to have good internet speeds and a reliable connection, but there are many reasons others may not.

For a start "good" internet is usually more expensive - fibre here is more expensive than ADSL.

Fibre might not even be available in some places - I know it took years after fibre was "available" in my country before it arrived in my area, and I don't live very far from a major city.

If all ISPs in an area refuse to offer an internet service that can be considered "good", there's not much residents can do about it short of spending thousands and thousands on their own bespoke infrastructure.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
... since most traffic is expected through the EGS...

I'd love to see current steam and EGS preorder numbers.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on a comment above, it seems like this is a steam specific issue? If so, steam really needs to improve it so that it instantly unlocks like on other platforms.
It can't be instantly unlocked, because that would mean it would be hilariously easy to decrypt by yourself and people could crack the game before it's even out. Steam encryption has managed to prevent this perfectly.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
It can't be instantly unlocked, because that would mean it would be hilariously easy to decrypt by yourself and people could crack the game before it's even out. Steam encryption has managed to prevent this perfectly.
Based on this post
My preload of BF5 immediately switched to playable after I booted my PC on release. Pretty sure UWP games are the same. Steams approach is just ancient.
Do pre-loaded Origin games get cracked all the time?

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
LMFAO. Since most traffic will go through the epic shit store. Babahha, they don't even believe that themselves. Man they live in a fart cloud.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am extremely curious about the concurrent players of Exodus on Steam and Epic

Too bad only Steam is actually transparent about those

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Yeah, but that'd only be a problem if the executables were still included. It'd be relatively easy for Valve to implement an alternative pre-load system that delivers raw game data but withholds the executables associated with the app's launch configuration until the release state has changed to "released".

Edit: That's not to suggest the option not existing is the result of laziness. Rather, I'd guess the reason is the same as why there's no support for, say, automatic unlocks: an unnecessary overabundance of caution.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that'd only be a problem if the executables were still included. It'd be relatively easy for Valve to implement an alternative pre-load system that delivers raw game data but withholds the executables associated with the app's launch configuration until the release state has changed to "released".

I believe that is how uplay preloads work.
Never had to decrypt anything there, just a small download at release.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Based on this post

Do pre-loaded Origin games get cracked all the time?

No they don't because what Origin does with their preloads is actually pretty smart.

They let you download the full game(preload) except the main exes and few other small files. So when release days come that's all it needs to download and you're good to go.

It's way better and more practical then Valve's terrible and ancinet encryption.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
What Origin does with their preloads is actually pretty smart.

They let you download the full game(preload) except the main exes. So when release days come that's all it needs to download and you're good to go.
It's strange that Steam is lagging behind in this department. I believe steam pre-loads have been available for quite a while now(Since the release of MKX I think, which was a disaster).

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No they don't because what Origin does with their preloads is actually pretty smart.

They let you download the full game(preload) except the main exes and few other small files. So when release days come that's all it needs to download and you're good to go.

It's way better and more practical then Valve's terrible and ancinet encryption.
It resulted in FFXV being cracked several days before release though

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Honest question: Wouldn't this cause problems with people datamining the game and spoiling things, especially for games that come out day and date with the console versions?

I also hate Steam's preloads btw. I just download the games at launch since that's faster for me but that's not an option for everyone and it sucks ass.
It resulted in FFXV being cracked several days before release though
That's because Square Enix was stupid enough to put an unprotected exe in the demo that worked in the full game

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question: Wouldn't this cause problems with people datamining the game and spoiling things, especially for games that come out day and date with the console versions?

It's a possibility. It deppends from game to game. Preloads are usually available a week before the launch and by that time there's already videos out due to console copies being leaked in god knows what country. Happens with every big game.

RE2 also got datamined based off a single demo alone. DMC5 is also not getting a demo on PC for this sole reason I'd reckon.

Itsuno really wants the game plot keept under wraps till launch.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Edit: That's not to suggest the option not existing is the result of laziness. Rather, I'd guess the reason is the same as why there's no support for, say, automatic unlocks: an unnecessary overabundance of caution.
omg what is this ava

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So er, what's cheapest place in the UK for PC ? Retail copies seemingly dont exist any more (which usually are about £10 cheaper than digital).

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I really don't want to install another store front on my PC. How bad is the Epic launcher?
terrible website disguised as a program with terrible support, terrible prices, no features, and no offline mode.

amazing for publishers asuming they somehow manage to sell more than 12 copies worlwide, terrible for customers.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it a hundred times, but the Epic Store doesn't even have an offline mode. You even have to be online to launch Shadow Complex and Super Meat Boy. That's a huge dealbreaker for me, and I'm baffled the always-online aspect of the store isn't a bigger deal.
It does though. This is what it shows when you try to start the launcher without an internet connection:
UanSq1X.png

If you click "Skip sign in", it'll let you launch games that are installed.

EDIT: Okay nevermind, there are games for which you need to be signed in to launch them, which is fucked. Don't know if it'll be necessary for Metro Exodus but this is something Epic shouldn't be doing at all.

Last edited:

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
UWP games aren't being decrypted at all, resulting in locked down unmoddable games. I prefer Steams "ancient" approach over this to be honest...
It's a good thing then that there is a third option which doesn't lock down games, doesn't need time to decrypt pre-loads and is secure by leaving out critical parts of the software.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It does though. This is what it shows when you try to start the launcher without an internet connection:
UanSq1X.png

EDIT: Okay nevermind, there are games for which you need to be signed in to launch them, which is fucked. Don't know if it'll be necessary for Metro Exodus but this is something Epic shouldn't be doing at all.
Now that many people (who buy games) will attempt to use EGS for the first time this is about to get very interesting. I bet the ones who praised EGS for low cuts will be the first ones to turn on EGS because of various problems and complete lack of features.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Now that many people (who buy games) will attempt to use EGS for the first time this is about to get very interesting. I bet the ones who praised EGS for low cuts will be the first ones to turn on EGS because of various problems and complete lack of features.

Anecdotally, I've been using the EGS store for a few months now (Hades, Subnautica etc - I didn't ever play Fortnite on PC but I did install it about 18 months ago for Unreal Tournament) and personally getting along with it fine. It's definitely missing forums, universal controller support etc but I use tons of other launchers where I don't use those either (GOG, Windows Store, uPlay, Origin). They might have them but I don't know because I've never looked. For a user like me the EGS has booted my games fine. No problems yet.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I thought people in this thread might enjoy this video, produced by games lawyer Richard Hoeg following a conversation I had with him.

It's quite thorough, and can basically be seen as an expanded version of the competition.jpg that gets posted a lot.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

The ones praising EGS were never going to use it anyway.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
UanSq1X.png

Right. Now to be fair, you can launch Super Meat Boy by clicking directly on the exe, so there's an off-chance that Metro Exodus may not use the launcher as DRM, either, but it's not something I want to have to worry about every time I buy a game.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
UanSq1X.png

This is decided by the game developers, if i remember correctly Galyonkin said so somewhere on his Twitter.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Standard game data is delivered in a decrypted state, though. Pre-load data isn't, obviously, so the decryption process does actually use CPU resources to some extent.

Regarding whether pre-loading is worthwhile, I'd say a downstream speed of 250Mbps is the point at which you might as well just download a game at unlock o'clock instead. I've said this before, but Valve really should implement an alternative pre-load option that delivers game data as-is but withholds the nominated executable/s until release, like Battle.net, Origin, Uplay, etc. do.
While I agree with you, remember that pirates could play FFXV much earlier (albeit with some bugs), by using Origins decrypted data and the benchmark exe. It doesnt bother me, but I assure you that it bothered Square Enix.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
While I agree with you, remember that pirates could play FFXV much earlier (albeit with some bugs), by using Origins decrypted data and the benchmark exe. It doesnt bother me, but I assure you that it bothered Square Enix.

Sure, there may be situations where an encrypted pre-load is still preferable. Protecting against the possibility of "day zero" piracy because of a benchmark or demo executable is indeed one such example, and precluding pre-release data mining is another. That's why I said "alternative option". ;)

Last edited:

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is decided by the game developers, if i remember correctly Galyonkin said so somewhere on his Twitter.
I know, there are several games that don't use the Epic Store Launcher as DRM at all. But just because developers can choose to use it rather than it being required doesn't mean I can't be frustrated at Epic for offering it as a form of DRM to begin with.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Right. Now to be fair, you can launch Super Meat Boy by clicking directly on the exe, so there's an off-chance that Metro Exodus may not use the launcher as DRM, either, but it's not something I want to have to worry about every time I buy a game.

Metro Exodus uses Denuvo, so it's almost certain it uses Epic's DRM.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Exodus uses Denuvo, so it's almost certain it uses Epic's DRM.

Ah, well there ya go.

I know, there are several games that don't use the Epic Store Launcher as DRM at all. But just because developers can choose to use it rather than it being required doesn't mean I can't be frustrated at Epic for offering it as a form of DRM to begin with.

I'm not going to be mad a developers for using the Epic launcher as a form of DRM, otherwise I'd have to be mad at everyone that uses Steam for the same thing. I just don't like the always-online aspect. I know Epic's transitioning from being a simple games launcher to a full-fledged store, but that's one of the first things they should work on fixing -- and it may be, I honestly don't know.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
There is something yes.

First it's not just questionable but outright anti-consumer behaviour from both Epic and Deep Silver (Koch Media).

EGS doesn't have basic features like cloud saves or an offline mode, doesn't cover payment costs (since those 12% are not enough, uh oh) and for a whole bunch of customers the game is now either more expensive or the same price but with way less features.

And then we have the security concerns. There have been reports of issues and people in this very thread talk about being bombarded with login attempts. People want those Fortnite accounts. That's not a place where I wanna put my personal info.

Okay, I get it now, thanks for clearing things up for me.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
So first they said that steam and epic versions will be treated the same and now steam isn't getting the preload option? So what if they are lying about updates and patches as well.
Especially sucks for me bcz I have slow internet and I wanted to play it this weekend(very busy next week) but I guess I won't be able to play it till next weekend now.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
So first they said that steam and epic versions will be treated the same and now steam isn't getting the preload option? So what if they are lying about updates and patches as well.
Especially sucks for me bcz I have slow internet and I wanted to play it this weekend(very busy next week) but I guess I won't be able to play it till next weekend now.

You have any way of downloading it somewhere else? If so you can backup and restore, though you have to download some stuff but not the whole thing.