• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So first they said that steam and epic versions will be treated the same and now steam isn't getting the preload option? So what if they are lying about updates and patches as well.
Especially sucks for me bcz I have slow internet and I wanted to play it this weekend(very busy next week) but I guess I won't be able to play it till next weekend now.

I don't think you can pre load on the Epic Games Store. Hooray for parity.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no preload on Steam is crap. Even if there aren't a lot of people doing it, it should still be there.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO

EGS continues to impress.

DzOxPTnVsAAdoxc.jpg

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
store several years in the making!

*launches without cloud saves*
*doesn't bother to have preload feature ready before the biggest launch for that store*

Do we know this is on Epic? Pre-load was supported for The Division 2 Beta so I wonder if 4A just chose not to because they aren't familiar with Epic's backend or if it's incompatible with Denuvo.

(and I'm aware Steam supports pre-load of Metro, but from the looks of it Epic doesn't seem to encrypt the whole game, which causes an issue with Denuvo)

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know this is on Epic? Pre-load was supported for The Division 2 Beta so I wonder if 4A just chose not to because they aren't familiar with Epic's backend or if it's incompatible with Denuvo.

(and I'm aware Steam supports pre-load of Metro, but from the looks of it Epic doesn't seem to encrypt the whole game, which causes an issue with Denuvo)
Was the beta on Epic at all? Epic just sent me a beta key to use directly on Uplay.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Can Epic Store do preloads, do we know?

Like do they have encryption etc. in place so they can give players files early?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Humble forced the hand to actually get Steam keys:
https://www.metrothegame.com/news/epic-games-store-announcement/

I pre-ordered Metro Exodus through Humble Bundle, Razer or similar key seller – what happens to my order?
Only Humble Bundle and Razer are authorised Steam Key sellers. If you ordered Metro Exodus from either of these stores your pre-order will be honored and you will receive a Steam Key in time for release on February 15th 2019.

So you are safe

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
I think only those that preordered on Humble before the change will get a Steam key. I very much doubt that Humble will be selling Steam Keys after launch when Steam can't even sell it themselves.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So as someone who doesn't preorder games on Steam a ton, do preloads usually happen this close to the release date? I feel like the "preload" is gonna happen on Thursday at 11:59PM at this point.

It depends on the dev/publisher. They could start it 1 day before release or 2 weeks before. Like Yakuza has its preload right now while its releasing on 19th.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Is there a way to use vpn to unlock the game "early"from epic store? I just want to preload Metro. is it out in New Zeland?

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly probably possible but I don't think epic has that down yet either.
It's the 15th in NZ now, but I can't find a free vpn to test it.
Any advice?

EDIT: I tried with zenvpn, no unlock. I don't know if I did it right or not, but the game it's still locked.

Last edited:

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Apologies if this has been mentioned already in the thread. But I got my CD Keys code for EGS, redeemed it...I find it very odd that the game is not even listed in my library yet. Only way to tell is to find it in the store page to see.

A lot of little basic things are so very wrong with this storefront. It's really sad to see their business practice around this. Seems like they have no interest in investing in a great storefront but are happy to fork tonnes out on exclusivity deals that fuck over the consumers. I'm not a Steam zealot and actually don't mind the competition. But they have gone around it completely the wrong way.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this has been mentioned already in the thread. But I got my CD Keys code for EGS, redeemed it...I find it very odd that the game is not even listed in my library yet. Only way to tell is to find it in the store page to see.

A lot of little basic things are so very wrong with this storefront. It's really sad to see their business practice around this. Seems like they have no interest in investing in a great storefront but are happy to fork tonnes out on exclusivity deals that fuck over the consumers. I'm not a Steam zealot and actually don't mind the competition. But they have gone around it completely the wrong way.

There's also the fact that, in this specific instance, the publisher waited until weeks before release to pull the game from Steam. I almost never preorder games, especially an AA game like this, from a series that's got a history of some gameplay hiccups. So basically people like me who would wait until release (and reviews) got the shaft.

I'll never support Epic game store. Never. It's become a matter of principle now. These kinds of business practices while, as you say, making little effort to invest in a great storefront, are bad for PC gaming and so I can't in good conscience support them.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I was able to unlock Far Cry just now via vpn but I tried on the Epic Game Store and still nothing. It must be a global unlock time?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
There's also the fact that, in this specific instance, the publisher waited until weeks before release to pull the game from Steam. I almost never preorder games, especially an AA game like this, from a series that's got a history of some gameplay hiccups. So basically people like me who would wait until release (and reviews) got the shaft.

I'll never support Epic game store. Never. It's become a matter of principle now. These kinds of business practices while, as you say, making little effort to invest in a great storefront, are bad for PC gaming and so I can't in good conscience support them.

How did they 'wait'? They took it off Steam as soon as they agreed their deal with epic, not because they had a bizarre wish to spite you. You also had sufficient notice to preorder if you wished, even after the announcement.

Your claim that they have no plans to invest in improving their storefront is completely made up and is most certainly false.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
How did they 'wait'? They took it off Steam as soon as they agreed their deal with epic, not because they had a bizarre wish to spite you. You also had sufficient notice to preorder if you wished, even after the announcement.

Your claim that they have no plans to invest in improving their storefront is completely made up and is most certainly false.

So how are all physical keys being EGS only with 2 weeks notice?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah dude they just magically replaced all the keys in physical versions.