• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Competition would be me having a choice between Steam and Epic. IF they're passing the higher cut to the consumer, then Steam would be competing with a $50 Epic store version, which would be tempting for consumers. That would be competition.
That competitive edge means nothing when you can purchase Steam keys from key retailers for $40.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
People that want the game will buy.

Pirates aren't lost sales or even potential buyers.

Of course they are. Chinese cant even buy the game now, even if they want to.

Also they can be potential buyers if the price point is right. "No one" will buy a game that costs 1/10th of a monthly salary. People will buy a game if it costs 1/40th of their monthly salary.

It's funny that people are talking about pirating this game. The Division 2 also won't be on Steam. Try pirating that and see how it goes for you. Nice job punishing single game developers.

Honestly. Those "views" like yours mostly come from a "priviliged position". The reality is if a game is not even available in a region or costs as much as 1/10th of your salary in some regions, people will pirate it.
Look at Steam sales before and after the introduction of regional pricing in China.
From a region that couldnt care to buy games on Steam at all to the 3rd biggest market after regional pricing was introduced.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No preload was pretty fucking shitty. Had to wake up this morning and download and set a shutdown later command on my PC so I can play it when I get in from work.

The store doesn't add the game into your library until it unlocks, which is bizarre.

When you're installing, it doesn't even tell you the file size.

Saw the reviewer saying Epic wouldn't tell him where the ini files are found.

Everything about the client is half baked as fuck. I really think it will damage sales of the game, backlash on Metro's social media seems pretty huge for a franchise people are usually very excited for.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Well there has been studies you can't actually say lost sale and potential buyer for some one who pirates. Yeah some could but very few will. Most that pirate will either not buy it or buy it too.

Also, the game is more expensive and charges USD for me on EGS.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well there has been studies you can't actually say lost sale and potential buyer for some one who pirates. Yeah some could but very few will. Most that pirate will either not buy it or buy it too.

Sure, but these studies were done in the normal circumstances where regional pricing does exist. So I don't think we should apply their results when the circumstances changed here (no regional pricing).
Also, the game is more expensive and charges USD for me on EGS.

You're only one sample, and tbh I don't think you're representative at all.

Schnitzelfee

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
image0.jpg

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Where is the code, just an insert on the thing?

That tells me they did the deal after the game went gold then?

Mar 29, 2018
I haven't been keeping up with this news until today when I realised I'd like the game and won't be able to use Steam Link with it on Epic Store.

So... it's never coming to Steam? I can't find any "timed" exclusivity stuff.

Is that true?

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I am reading reports on the Steam forums that the game has been updated in the Epic Games Launcher, but not on Steam. You can check the game version in the upper right corner of the options menu, which says version 1.0.0.0 in my Steam game, but may have been updated to 1.0.1.0 in the Epic Games Launcher.

I wonder if the game-breaking crashing bug that I am affected by is resolved in the other version? It would be good for those people, I guess, but the situation is a bit difficult to get to terms with as a huge fan who pre-ordered the Gold edition months ago and chose to stick with the Steam version.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I am reading reports on the Steam forums that the game has been updated in the Epic Games Launcher, but not on Steam. You can check the game version in the upper right corner of the options menu, which says version 1.0.0.0 in my Steam game, but may have been updated to 1.0.1.0 in the Epic Games Launcher.

I wonder if the game-breaking crashing bug that I am affected by is resolved in the other version? It would be good for those people, I guess, but the situation is a bit difficult to get to terms with as a huge fan who pre-ordered the Gold edition months ago and chose to stick with the Steam version.
What's the bug?
I can check later if you want.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Frequent random crashes during my short time with the game. May be DX12 specific issues according to some people in the PC performance thread, but I would not want to downgrade to DX11/"no ray tracing" considering that I own a 2080 ti.
I understand.
2080ti here, dx12 and rtx, literally zero crashes. Epic store.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I understanding this correct? EGS is on 1.0.1.0 and Steam is on 1.0.0.0? That's bad, if there are more fixes in the EGS version.

exodus1000051k0p.jpg

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
This is soooooo cheap in my opinion!
Delay or don´t release patches.....
It doesn't make sense to me. My initial assumption was that they kept the Steam version for people who had preordered to not disappoint some of their biggest fans. But why would we settle for an unpatched messy version of the game with frequent random crashes? I guess the Steam version was only a way for Deep Silver to not lose the pre-order money, but how are they going to prevent us from refunding the game?

I posted my negative Steam review a couple of hours ago, and I am seriously considering refunding my Gold edition of the game at this point.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make sense to me. My initial assumption was that they kept the Steam version for people who had preordered to not disappoint some of their biggest fans. But why would we settle for an unpatched messy version of the game with frequent random crashes? I guess the Steam version was only a way for Deep Silver to not lose the pre-order money, but how are they going to prevent us from refunding the game?

I posted my negative Steam review a couple of hours ago, and I am seriously considering refunding my Gold edition of the game at this point.

I'm at 3.5h playtime and my game was also played through family sharing. I'm pretty sure refunding is no longer an option for me.
That said, I had no crashed so far, but maybe they'll come later? Idk.

I'd wait 2-3 days in your position, maybe the patch will come.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm at 3.5h playtime and my game was also played through family sharing. I'm pretty sure refunding is no longer an option for me.
That said, I had no crashed so far, but maybe they'll come later? Idk.

I'd wait 2-3 days in your position, maybe the patch will come.
Are you playing with DX12 and ray tracing on? I had all my crashes in DX12, but some people in the PC performance thread are claiming that sticking to DX11 resolves the crashing issue.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Are you using a 2080 Ti btw?

Yes, paired with a 2700x (4.15GHz), 16GB of DDR4 3466. Running at 1440p. Getting 50-80 fps so far during gameplay. 50 isn't common, only happened in the water church so far, I'm around 65 most of the time. Starting to get CPU bottle-necked at ~ 85 FPS. It's a taxing game on max settings both to my CPU and GPU.

The problem with people reporting crashes is: You don't know if they are on an unstable OC, if it's another problem or if it is the game. Taxing games like Metro Exodus have a tendency to provoke crashes on slightly unstable overclocks. Everything else might work, but this one game may need a tiny bit more voltage. Not saying that's necessarily the case here. It's hard to filter the information coming in.
That said: I'm only 4h in now, maybe the crashes will occur once I progress further into the game! Don't take my word for it.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is not new though. Perhaps its new for steam users but gog users get delayed patches frequently. Devs seem to focus on the steam version first and then you will get a patch on gog a few days or weeks after.

And people rightfully complain about it on GOG non stop too. A bad thing not being entirely new doesn't make it less bad.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
This is not new though. Perhaps its new for steam users but gog users get delayed patches frequently. Devs seem to focus on the steam version first and then you will get a patch on gog a few days or weeks after.
And people rightfully complain about it on GOG non stop too. A bad thing not being entirely new doesn't make it less bad.
Also, didn't the devs say that the Steam version would get the same treatment as the EGS one? In terms of patches and DLCs?

I'm really glad I canceled my Steam preorder. Gonna get the complete edition for 20€ next year.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't GOG check each individual patch, which makes it so that developers often dont push the patch and just bundle a bunch? At least in that case it somehow makes sense.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't GOG check each individual patch, which makes it so that developers often dont push the patch and just bundle a bunch? At least in that case it somehow makes sense.

Not if people on GOG have to deal with bugs for longer because of this.
NMS even ended up not receiving the multiplayer update. GOG offered a non questions asked refund for their costumers because of this (for a limited time), independent of time played and purchase date. I took their offer at the time and my game was already a year old and had 20h+ on it.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017

Oh for sure. It another one of the things that gamers allowed to happen because it wasn't happening to them at the time so it did not matter (see the pay to be online on consoles). I am not saying people should not complain it is bullshit just not specific on the epic store in this instance.