• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
It's common for patches to be delayed on GOG because CDPR still handles the offline installer part of the equation itself; once an update has been submitted, it's completely out of the dev's hands as to when it'll be released to users. That's not an issue on Steam. Deep Silver could upload the latest build right now and immediately push it through to users if it were so inclined.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No achievements in Epic store version, but the game uses nvidia highlights and it records when an achievement is supposed to pop. Client is basic as fuck.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure that Deep Silver/4A specifically said that this would not happen.

Edit:
nPl0Vm6.png

From here:
https://www.metrothegame.com/news/epic-games-store-announcement/
Unacceptable.

Chasm of the Abyss

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
UK
No achievements in Epic store version, but the game uses nvidia highlights and it records when an achievement is supposed to pop. Client is basic as fuck.
The Nvidia highlights seems to consider every kill and death worthy of recording. Very strange.

No achievements or playtime counter is really annoying me.

I also hate that the game and the pre-order DLC are two separate things in the library?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed that CDKeys has raised the price. Used to be around 478kr, is now 578kr.
Haven't seen CDKeys do this before with recently released games. Seems to be specific to Exodus.
Feared this might happen. No authorized third party key resellers = less competition = higher price.

Serastros

Mar 3, 2018
This is not new though. Perhaps its new for steam users but gog users get delayed patches frequently. Devs seem to focus on the steam version first and then you will get a patch on gog a few days or weeks after.

True, but patch for Metro is from 14th of february. Today is 17th... At this point GOG did usually get the patch, right?

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017

Wtf? How is Valve supposed to compete with Epics shitty practises? Have a bidding war for every new game about which store gets it?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Wtf? How is Valve supposed to compete with Epics shitty practises? Have a bidding war for every new game about which store gets it?

Ah Sweeney, you don't do your store any justice when it comes to opening your mouth. Yes let's encourage bidding wars instead of open arm support where games are agnostic to launchers and you bid for customers through prices, not removing a game from a store just before launch because your store is shit.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Just noticed that CDKeys has raised the price. Used to be around 478kr, is now 578kr.
Haven't seen CDKeys do this before with recently released games. Seems to be specific to Exodus.
Feared this might happen. No authorized third party key resellers = less competition = higher price.

Nah it's actually fairly common with their pricing. Usually I'd say for games with solid critical reception and no major problems with the game itself at launch, for CDkeys.com the trajectory is:

Cheapest when first available for preorder.

Price gradually creeps up towards and beyond release.

After a few weeks or months they do a temporary discounts (like 1/3 off etc)

Then after several months they do bigger discounts, and continue to do gradually increasing temporary discounts.

Eventually they start reducing the base price, whilst still doing temporary discounts every so often.

Games like Fallout 76 find this process accelerated, but that's the general pattern, I've not seen anything too out of the ordinary with Metro Exodus on cdkeys, aside from the starting point being higher because Epic restricted supply.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So Tim wants Valve to start buying exclusives??? I'm trying to parse that tweet. That probably helps Epic in the long run as Valve would then destroy the smaller guys. Maybe that is what Tim wants anyway.

On a side tangent, i think we need some sort of movies anywhere equivalent on PC. Buy the game from one store, get it unlocked on every store that is participating. Then you have a copy at multiple stores and don't have to worry if one goes away. This would be much better than buying up exclusives for each store.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Holy shit this smug dude infuriates me. The prices are higher now for the exclusives, not lower. Is Epic letting the devs to create Epic keys free of charge already? You know, for price competition.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Nah it's actually fairly common with their pricing. Usually I'd say for games with solid critical reception and no major problems with the game itself at launch, for CDkeys.com the trajectory is:

Cheapest when first available for preorder.

Price gradually creeps up towards and beyond release.

After a few weeks or months they do a temporary discounts (like 1/3 off etc)

Then after several months they do bigger discounts, and continue to do gradually increasing temporary discounts.

Eventually they start reducing the base price, whilst still doing temporary discounts every so often.

Games like Fallout 76 find this process accelerated, but that's the general pattern, I've not seen anything too out of the ordinary with Metro Exodus on cdkeys, aside from the starting point being higher because Epic restricted supply.

Yeah I've noticed the same. Something I also noticed is that if the game ends up not being popular, they just accelerate the discount and price dropping process.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've noticed the same. Something I also noticed is that if the game ends up not being popular, they just accelerate the discount and price dropping process.
Yeah because it's more of a reflection of natural market mechanism than authorised stores which act more in accordance with Publisher's instructions.

Like how poorly receive games trade in price drops quicker than well received games.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

So in short again those developers who are lucky to be chosen by Epic (mostly bigger developers and publishers) are getting better deal and smaller indie devs are still getting screwed.

And he complains that they can't compete because they take less money? Really?

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

So in short again those developers who are lucky to be chosen by Epic (mostly bigger developers and publishers) are getting better deal and smaller indie devs are still getting screwed.

Those deals are probably only to those games that have signed an exclusivity agreement (or in the case of Ubisoft agreed not to sell in Steam). It doesnt really make sense to pay for other indies that are being sold in Steam too.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Those deals are probably only to those games that have signed an exclusivity agreement (or in the case of Ubisoft agreed not to sell in Steam). It doesnt really make sense to pay for other indies that are being sold in Steam too.

Only small indie dev they got paid for exclusivity is most recent one and those are developers of Close to the Sun. Every other game would do just fine everywhere.

Jan 16, 2019
Yeah, alright then. If you agree with this idiot's thinking, just block or ignore me because it seems like you and him have the brain processing power of a 1 year old

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I blocked Steamspy dude on Twitter ages ago, because his arguments never really held up to close scrutiny, his reading of statistical data was juvenile, and his "hot takes" were appalling. I think I may be doing the same to Sweeney for much of the same reasons.

edit: LOL. I already have him blocked, just Era shows me his tweets regardless. :(

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

Holy shit this smug dude infuriates me. The prices are higher now for the exclusives, not lower. Is Epic letting the devs to create Epic keys free of charge already? You know, for price competition.

This form of competition isn't sustainable. Epic can't hope to profit solely by purchasing exclusives. If they don't have any better ideas then this is doomed to be a failed experiment.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
This form of competition isn't sustainable. Epic can't hope to profit solely by purchasing exclusives. If they don't have any better ideas then this is doomed to be a failed experiment.
Yep. It's odd that so many (consumers even) champion this as some sort of smart competitive move. It's really not. I do really want the last season of the Walking Dead, but I don't have any reason to stick to the client and buy something else from there. Let's even say if they offered like 10% lower prices than Steam and Uplay, I still wouldn't pick EGS at it's current form. Price isn't everything either, especially if the difference is so minimal.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Is there anything in the Steam Partner contracting that precludes devs/pubs from merely pricing their Steam versions more expensively than other stores, to offset the 18% less that they gain per sale? Because, from the outside looking in, it seems that that would be the closest to "having your cake and eating it" - Epic prices are cheaper and more is gained per sale, whilst Steam is more expensive but still gives a presence on the largest digital distro store out there.