• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Deep Silver. The publisher.

4A literally had no idea. They were still working on the Steam build this afternoon until their publisher pulled the carpet from underneath them. Literally just a couple of hours before the announcement.

Deep Silver are scum.

I refuse to believe that 4A Games had "no idea". Of course they were still working on the Steam build, because there is still a Steam version of the game that lots of people will be playing, just not one that can be purchased by new customers for a year.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

4A literally had no idea. They were still working on the Steam build this afternoon until their publisher pulled the carpet from underneath them. Literally just a couple of hours before the announcement.

Deep Silver are scum.
I'm legit concerned my Shenmue 3 "Steam Physical Disc" I pre-ordered on Kickstarter might turn into a Shenmue 3 "Epic's Game Store Physical Disc" at any point before release, since Deep Silver is publishing that game too. This sucks. Like, a lot.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
None whatsoever and I personally believe that it was Valve until proven otherwise.
Metro Exodus Steam Page Notice:
Notice: Later today, sales of Metro Exodus will be discontinued on Steam due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store.

The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam.

We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know.

Reads a LOT like it's coming from Valve.

I'm all for lighting a fire under Valve's ass to improve steam (for both users and developers), but this paid exclusivity crap is like the most ham-fisted way to accomplish that. Makes me not want to support the games that go exclusive on Epic's platform.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
At larger volumes, Steam do not take a 30% cut.

After a couple of million units, they literally would be making more money from Steam at 25% and then eventually 20%.

I actually did the math and assuming Epic selling only at 50 dollars and Steam selling only at 60 dollars, Steam would become more profitable at around 500,000 units sold. This point occurs at around 22 million dollars in post-cut revenue. Everything past that would widen the gap. The rate of the gap widening would increase once the game hits the next tier of revenue sharing on Steam.

However, these assumptions are not completely valid. It assumes full priced purchases for the specified values whereas in most places Epic sells for greater than 50 USD and in most places people would buy the Steam version for less than 60 USD, possibly from sources that do not contribute to Valve's revenue cut ticker. And most importantly it does not take into account the fat sack of cash Epic paid them to do this.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yeah we should just ban anyone who isn't 100% loyal to valve. I mean the audacity of Epic Games, Blizzard, uplay, gog, and origin.
Please point me to one (1) person who has been shitting on Uplay, Origin, GoG, or Blizzard in this thread. If you do it, I'll have the Epic Game Store logo as my avatar for a week.

Posts made or edited after this post don't count. Generic "Oh I don't want yet another launcher" posts don't either. Just point me to one person shitting on these stores.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please point me to one (1) person who has been shitting on Uplay, Origin, GoG, or Blizzard in this thread. If you do it, I'll have the Epic Game Store as my avatar for a week.

Posts made or edited after this post don't count. Generic "Oh I don't want yet another launcher" posts don't either. Just point me to one person shitting on these stores.
The other store fronts mentioned were just to acknowledge that EGS is not the only rogue store front. Many exist with their own exclusives.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

Deep Silver are scum.
I havent read anything about them not getting paid for their work or their work getting scrapped, so what's the issue here? A4 doesnt own the IP...

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The other store fronts mentioned were just to acknowledge that EGS is not the only rogue store front. Many exist with their own exclusives.
How many of these are monehatting publishers? How many of these are ACTUALLY killing competition by not allowing a market of cheap keys to exist?

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you not see the hostility towards anyone that is ok with EGS as a competing store front in this thread?
The "hostility" is not against another storefront existing. The hostility is against the abundance of ignorant (self-admittedly in your case) opinions to prop up factual anti-consumer moves.

Things that have been explained to you and you still struggle to process somehow, instead resorting to fallacious hot takes that are not supported by anything happening in this thread.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you not see the hostility towards anyone that is ok with EGS as a competing store front in this thread?
Do you not see that the Epic Game Store is very different to GOG and co in nearly every way?

Epic are the only ones engaging in shitty business practices like this. Therefore, they are the only one getting criticized.

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of other storefronts existing, and use many of them. I probably have a larger GOG library than most people in this thread have Steam libraries. I'll even be one of the first people in these threads talking about Itch.io and the good things they try and do.

Do not misinterpret a hatred of the EGS as a hatred of other storefronts. That's not what is fucking happening.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I havent read anything about them not getting paid for their work or their work getting scrapped, so what's the issue here? A4 doesnt own the IP...
I'd like to think A4 would like people to actually play their game they've devoted time, effort and passion on. Their sales are gonna be garbage on PC now from this point forward, aside from the impulse Steam pre-orders. Less people will play the game.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to think A4 would like people to actually play their game they've devoted time, effort and passion on. Their sales are gonna be garbage on PC now from this point forward, aside from the impulse Steam pre-orders. Less people will play the game.
Then that sorts the money hatting problem? If it isn't profitable then they have no incentive to do it.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't care what store front a game is on. I don't find the majority of steam features useful outside of cloud saves. If you're really passionate about this sorry for not being understanding but I just don't see the issue with what EGS is doing. It makes sense for them to get these exclusives they are taking on a juggernaut who has a 15 year headstart and damn near 100% control of the market. It's not exactly puzzling why they are doing it. That's just me tho.

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't care what store front a game is on. I don't find the majority of steam features useful outside of cloud saves. If you're really passionate about this sorry for not being understanding but I just don't see the issue with what EGS is doing. It makes sense for them to get these exclusives they are taking on a juggernaut who has a 15 year headstart and damn near 100% control of the market. It's not exactly puzzling while they are doing it. That's just me tho.

If you can't see the issue, then you might want to stop thinking only about yourself to have a greater understanding. Other game stores and launchers have come out since Steam has in the 15 years since and given far more capable services and features day 1. They aren't competing with the Steam of 2004, they're competing with the Steam of 2019. Epic and its pushers like to claim that competition will breed and encourage improvements, but they really could have fooled me, since Epic's competition is lightyears ahead and yet the best they could manage was an extremely minimal store page and zero functionality.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I can understand if ppl have issue with the exclusivity but all this sympathizing for the devs is just extra. They agreed to port the game onto a platform and that's what they're doing.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you can't see the issue, then you might want to stop thinking only about yourself to have a greater understanding. Other game stores and launchers have come out since Steam has in the 15 years since and given far more capable services and features day 1. They aren't competing with the Steam of 2004, they're competing with the Steam of 2019. Epic and its pushers like to claim that competition will breed and encourage improvements, but they really could have fooled me, since Epic's competition is lightyears ahead and yet the best they could manage was an extremely minimal store page and zero functionality.
Don't buy the games then? I don't see anyone taking issue to not buying the game. Just a whole lot of people angry at people who are buying the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy the games then? I don't see anyone taking issue to not buying the game. Just a whole lot of people angry at people who are buying the game.

People unhappy are trying to stop people from supporting anti-consumer behavior and plugging their ears when presented with the actual facts of the situation that are completely counter to what Epic attempts to spin things as. I will never give Epic a penny and won't even use their service to get free games, but that's also not going to stop me from trying to clarify why this is a problem and why people should not be supporting this.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how that's what you take from my post, but this just proves my point that there's no talking to some people, all they want is to shitpost.
Well since it was a reply to a reply to my post. I took it as tho you were discounting my criticisms as just a "grudge" against valve. All I've stated in this thread is I'm going to buy this game, that I don't mind the competition. That I was unhappy with curation, and that steam sales are not as good as they used to be. That's where everything turned around. I've been using steam since 2007 and it's pretty much my primary platform. So there isn't a grudge at all.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
The only real problem I have with the Epic Store is their moneyhatting and regional pricing, but they somehow managed to make their moneyhatting even worse.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
People are rightfully upset that a game was pulled from Steam in the flash of a minute and thrown on another (worse) storefront because Epic paid for it. I don't trust Epic and I truly hate having more launchers on my computer. I was interested in Metro Exodus but now with this news, I'll pass on it. I don't support toxic moneyhatting deals. If Epic wants to get exclusives, they can make them like Valve did. Why not fund some of that Fortnite money into UT or a new property?

They could have friendly competiton by offering Exodus on the store with some special bullshit and leave it on Steam.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Well since it was a reply to a reply to my post. I took it as tho you were discounting my criticisms as just a "grudge" against valve. All I've stated in this thread is I'm going to buy this game, that I don't mind the competition. That I was unhappy with curation, and that steam sales are not as good as they used to be. That's where everything turned around. I've been using steam since 2007 and it's pretty much my primary platform. So there isn't a grudge at all.
It's completely fine that you'll use the Epic Store for this game and don't care. I personally don't much care for the Steam store and would love Epic to have a successful platform I could use as an alternative. However, straight up making a game that people had already ordered on another platform exclusive to your own at the last minute is a dick move.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's completely fine that you'll use the Epic Store for this game and don't care. I personally don't much care for the Steam store and would love Epic to have a successful platform I could use as an alternative. However, straight up making a game that people had already ordered on another platform exclusive to your own at the last minute is a dick move.
The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Everyone who brought the game on Steam has full access, including to future patching/DLC, through Steam on the day of launch. And a year down the road, the game will be sold normally on Steam. You're mischaracterizing the effect on the actual buyers when you posture the issue this way.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Only if you preordered on Steam directly before today while people like me who like to shop around different third party storefronts are told to go pound sand.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who brought the game on Steam has full access, including to future patching/DLC, through Steam on the day of launch. And a year down the road, the game will be sold normally on Steam. You're mischaracterizing the effect on the actual buyers when you posture the issue this way.
Tell that to the "actual buyers" that used one of the several other storefront options to purchase a key. A benefit that the Epic store doesn't have and actively takes choice away (and better prices than the current offering) from consumers.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory storefront commentary
Sad to see Metro Exodus was delayed until Feb 2020. At least that will give 4A time to iron out that crippling Epic bug!

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I have Steam, Origin, GOG Galaxy, uPlay and Battlenet installed on my PC. While annoying, I don't really have a problem with pubs releasing their games through their own platforms. Moneyhatting third parties for exclusives on PC tho is disgusting and is a practice that I won't support.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017

I don't think most people have an issue with anyone that is ok with EGS but with posts that dismiss the many arguments that people have by saying "people don't like change" or by making driveby posts while having no arguments at all (not talking about you).

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Discontinuing preorders seemingly arbitrarily made today the last day you could preorder for Steam. I'm sort of stumbling around my own point, but it's more of expectations. The Epic store's poor implementation of regional pricing (from anecdotes on this website) means that the exclusivity causes the game to become prohibitively expensive in some regions. Maybe someone was planning on preordering tomorrow and randomly can't? Suddenly it's too much for them to justify. If you're gonna pay for a game, at least have the decency to make if far enough in advance to not let people think they can get it in one place and take it away without warning. It's like feeling "loss" vs never having it at all

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I have Steam, Origin, GOG Galaxy, uPlay and Battlenet installed on my PC. While annoying, I don't really have a problem with pubs releasing their games through their own platforms. Moneyhatting third parties for exclusives on PC tho is disgusting and is a practice that I won't support.
Same. Origin, Uplay, GoG Galaxy and Battle.net are installed on my PC. I prefer Steam when available but I have no problem using these. I won't touch Epic's store, tho. I don't even play Fortnite so it won't touch my PC. I uninstalled it back when they moneyhatted some other game and never looked back.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is there any place to preorder the physical edition that still comes with a steam key?
I know Amazon Spain was selling the physical version a few hours ago. As to whether it'll have a Steam or a EGS key and to whether a Spain code works in your country... no idea.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Tell that to the "actual buyers" that used one of the several other storefront options to purchase a key. A benefit that the Epic store doesn't have and actively takes choice away (and better prices than the current offering) from consumers.

Just clarifying: I'm responding to a post lamenting how those who had pre-ordered were mistreated because of this 11th-hour agreement, and I'm spelling out how everyone who already pre-ordered (the reason I said "actual buyers") wasn't mistreated at all. I do agree that a selling environment where those pre-order options shrink closer to release feels more volatile.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
Just clarifying: I'm responding to a post lamenting how those who had pre-ordered were mistreated because of this 11th-hour agreement, and I'm spelling out how everyone who already pre-ordered (the reason I said "actual buyers") wasn't mistreated at all. I do agree that a selling environment where those pre-order options shrink closer to release feels more volatile.

Aren't people who have preordered a physical version (they do exist especially in Europe) getting an Epic store key even though they thought they would be getting a steam key? I could see how for some that would create problems.
Has this situation been clarified?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Don't people who preorder a physical version (they do exist especially in Europe) get an Epic store key even though they thought they would be getting a steam key? I could see how for some that would create problems.
Has this situation been clarified?

The last I had heard, any physical copies that specified a Steam key were still arriving with working Steam keys. Reading the FAQ for the retailer change right now, it's admitedly vague, so that may have changed. It would probably depend on the original retailer descriptions, too:

Q: I have pre-ordered a physical copy of Metro Exodus for PC. How will this news affect me?
A: This will not affect you at all. You will receive your packaged game with a key allowing you to play.

Last edited: