• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem to be a joke, rather a reference. Regardless, more context is needed.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Tons of jokes have been made about 9/11. What's the issue with a video game making some ill reference to it?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this also true tbh. However hard Devs may try to convey war as a harrowing experience in cutscenes, games are mostly meant to be exhilarating and fun which does a disservice to the actual events and victims. But that's a different conversation to be had.

That's why This War of Mine is so amazing and why everybody should play it.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You wouldn't use the murder weapon to memorialize any tragedy. To me, that glorfies the attackers and does not honor the victims.
Excuse me? Do you know anything about 9/11? There were many people on those planes who died as well, who are just as much victims as the people who were working in the twin towers. On one of the planes the passengers bravely faught back against the hijackers and crashed the plane in a remote field, sacrificing themselves to prevent the deaths of more people.

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
I dont get why op would think this is a joke. I agree with other posters, its just a reference.

Last edited:

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Huh. Doesn't really make any sense being there. (why would anyone in a world destroyed by nukes and worse give a shit about 911, or remember it?)

So September put 911 into the mind of a Dev while he was setting up that room? Nothing special there.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I love dark humor because I'm a horrible human being.
This one didn't make me laugh at all, because it's not a joke; it's a reference to an event.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's just referencing the event. I don't see anything humorous about it and it seems to purely be "there was an event that happened," so I doubt it's a joke. Likely a nod to the event as significant. The small plane is a little bit of an odd creative choice to identify the event that does make me uncertain, so perhaps they could have chosen a different symbol. (Though I'm also not sure what symbol would work better in this exact scenario.) It's also perhaps odd to reference it without more context so that players could understand better the message/intent.

Does this room in the game have its own story/identity that provides more background to the shelves seen in the footage and thus maybe explain why 9/11 would be referenced and in what way?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The video title made me think it was going to be mocking 9/11 truthers. That would be fun.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Call it whatever you like, the most important question is whether there's anything disrespectful going on, and the answer is no.

We're allowed to talk about 9/11 without it being automatically assumed to be a joke.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't seem like a joke. If anything kudos to people that actually got that reference, I blew past that room like a tornado.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
My word. Is anyone else bored of people constantly looking for or trying to manufacture outrage? Find something more productive to do.
It's
iwl36evxxk1k.gif

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Doesn't really make any sense being there. (why would anyone in a world destroyed by nukes and worse give a shit about 911, or remember it?)

So September put 911 into the mind of a Dev while he was setting up that room? Nothing special there.
It's a pre-apocalypse military bunker from what I understand, so in the context of the story it would have been put there by a modern (the nuclear war occurred in 2013) Russian soldier or someone else who works on the base.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I think the Lead Director has a PhD in Aeronautical Engineering. That's maybe why a plane was used as reference and not something else.
I don't think this is offensive though.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
The "ResetEra is always so triggered!1" and "ResetEra.gif" posts in this thread make no sense.

From the first page, I see:
  • 1 person suggesting others to not make 9/11 jokes.
  • 1 person concerned about the reference's existence because innocent people were in that plane.
  • 4 people (including OP) confused about the plane's existence.
  • 22 people seeing it as a harmless reference, not an offensive joke, and saying nothing else.
  • 1 person seeing it as a harmless reference, not an offensive joke, and telling everyone (is everyone just one person now?) to chill.
  • 4 people joking about ResetEra as a whole based on the opinions of one person.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
The "ResetEra is always so triggered!1" and "ResetEra.gif" posts in this thread make no sense.

• 1 person concerned about the reference's existence because innocent people were in that plane.
  • 22 people seeing it as a harmless reference, not an offensive joke.
  • 1 person seeing it as a harmless reference, not an offensive joke, and telling everyone (is everyone just one person now?) to chill.
  • 4 people joking about ResetEra as a whole based on the opinions of one person.

This board does have kind of a reputation of always being offended.
But sometimes it's justified, like not excusing racists because of 'freedom of speech' and not allowing people to hate on others because of sexual orientation.
But this is not one of those cases, I agree.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I don't see how this is a joke at all. It's just acknowledgement of that day, a memory that no one should forget. Don't see how it could be seem as a joke at all, but leave it to us to start something where there's nothing

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not calling this post out as if it's unique because there's a deluge of similar posts:

I don't see how this is a joke at all. It's just acknowledgement of that day, a memory that no one should forget. Don't see how it could be seem as a joke at all, but leave it to us to start something where there's nothing

But frankly I'm more tired of the not insignificant amount of people whose first inclination when a thread like this is made is to whine about outrage. It's especially irritating when there is a ton of good discussion going on in this thread. If you don't feel the thread is important or is based on a false pretense, report it.

As far as the actual 'reference' or 'joke' or whatever this is, I'm not really sure how to feel. I don't particularly like American exceptionalism or nationalism, e.g. the pledge of allegiance, etc. But I guess I also don't really see the purpose of this as an easter egg either. As someone who doesn't have a lot of interest in the Metro games after playing the first one a while ago, I don't even really remember the in game history and what happened to the world and Europe to get it to the point we see in the games.

• 22 people seeing it as a harmless reference, not an offensive joke, and saying nothing else.

You said it far better than I could.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The OP is so poorly phrased and presented that you have people here unenthuastically judging this situation with little to no context, everything about this is just... dumb lol.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it is clearly them trying to be a little cheeky, here. It isn't in any way respectful. It isn't like they are memorializing it or anything. Someone on the development team thought it was funny, so they put it in the game. I don't see any other way of looking at it.

That being said, it isn't a big deal. It is pretty insignificant.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
it seems like its a reference to the fact that 9/11 happend in the metro world and the significance of that event was probably much more dire than even in real life. nothing more

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017

That's how every single one of these threads goes. "Outrage culture" whining is more prevalent than anyone ever actually getting outraged.

Norgler

Nov 13, 2017

Thanks for this post.. i was searching trying to find the outrage..