• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You still don't get it... you have to think at that as a real place.
Do you think that in any real archive someone is going to put a plane model in a shelf like that?

No, so it shouldn't happen in a "realistic" videogame like Metro too.

Since when do Easter Eggs need to be "realistic"...?

EDIT: Actualky, let's take it on your terms:

Person who worked there had a family. They were on a trip to New York that day. It was there first trip outside of Russia. Due to work commitments, they were due to meet the family out there a couple of days later. Family took a trip to the Twin Towers and were unfortunately caught in the tragedy. Person places one of his child's toy planes there as a reminder of his loss and as a way to never let go of his survivor's guilt.

Thematically speaking, it drives home two - completely respectful - points:

1) 9/11 affected the world
2) A reminder that mankind is its own worst enemy in a game about mankind being it's own worst enemy.

There you go. :)

Easter Eggs tend to be.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For what are used cylinders in the game ? Not for the player but in the story, what is this place where sorted like this ?

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a joke

The OP seems to be a reference more than anything. Even if it is a "Ooooo, look at that" moment, it's Metro Exodus, it's not a classroom history lesson.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't like a respectful memorial or anything. Mayyybe it could be seen as respectful if it was the towers, but the plane? C'mon. You guys need to stop going "why is this a joke to you" to the OP when this clearly isn't a serious, respectful way to memorialize a tragedy.
You know there were people in the planes too.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
This maybe needs more context. What is the story behind the room and cylinders?

Taken without the context it seems more like an attempt to be clever than a memorial, which is pretty inappropriate.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
That's really...weird. I don't really know what to make of that. There's not really any joke, it's just kind if referencing it. Doing so like this is a kind of odd as memorial too.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I don't think it's a joke but I do question why it was put in there. Easter Eggs are supposed to fun, not depressing as shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be that guy but I feel like I have seen hundreds of actual "jokes" about 9/11 in pretty much all of american media.
Not really sure why this one would stand out in any way (and it's not even a joke)

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Explain how it isn't clearly disrespectful to represent a real event where thousands of people died with a simple model of the thing used to kill them.
Because like British exceptionalism around Brexit there is a real problem with American exceptionalism. Not every event needs be put under the microscope of whether there is malicious intent. For example, if Naughty Dog or another US developer put in a subtle reference to the Tiananmen Square Massacre in a game then there would be no backlash about this. It would just be a reference. I mean, are you equally up in arms about games like STALKER?
Yeah, I don't understand how this could be interpreted as a joke or how anyone could really be mad at it tbh
Patriotic rage

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It seems quite tasteless to me, and I say this as someone who has spent less than a month total of his entire life in the American continent (and it was Canada).

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
It's just a reference.. a nod.. nothing more.. and even if it would be a joke, so what?

People joke about Titanic, the Hindenburg, there are thousands and thousands WWI &WWII jokes (mostly WWII), etc.. who gives a shit

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's clearly meant as a little referential joke, Metro developers are not American. Most people who play this have little memory of the event.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Must be so tiring being offended by everything. Honesty don't know how some people do it.
Wouldn't be surprised if someone banned you for suggesting this tbh. Might be considered "dismissive"

It doesn't even matter if it isn't a joke, why the hell would you reference this in the first place?
It's a Metro game. The games are literally about the world after an apocolyptic event. Why wouldn't other catastrophic events in history be mentioned?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a weird joke, but I'd have to know the context to know more. Is that room supposed to be a calendar or something unrelated to time/dates?

Doesn't even hit dog murder on the controversial scale but, yeah, kind of a weird thing to include.

Monkfish

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Observations
1 only people who think it's a good idea are getting outraged in this thread
2 it's at best clumsy and unnecessary
3 comparing the Christian cross to a model airplane is the weirdest thing I've seen in this forum

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What the fuck? An easter egg is suppose to be fun.

This is neither. Pretty disgusting if you ask me.

9/11 is no laughing matter.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
A little reminder that things happening in our world are leading us to the metro world. Good find and good idea who ever thought of it.

Humans really need to get their shit together.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
It's an event that happened nearly 2 decades ago. Joking about 9/11 isn't harming anyone.

Edit: Also, it might not even be a joke. What's the problem?

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You still don't get it... you have to think at that as a real place.
Do you think that in any real archive someone is going to put a plane model in a shelf like that?

No, so it shouldn't happen in a "realistic" videogame like Metro too.

It's, again, completly odd and out of context, and the plane itself isn't a great imaginary to that event, even if the shelfs had one single object to indetify every important date.
I think it's important people remember video games are works of fiction and have their own creative license.