• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
It's an event that happened nearly 2 decades ago. Joking about 9/11 isn't harming anyone

I don't know, but I do know that after 9/11 the world in which we live in, seems like a different world to me. I just don't feel as safe than before. I live in Europe myself but when visiting big events or capital cities I'm always scanning my surroundings. Pretty crazy I know.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Well.. it depends on the context?

Like what the heck is that room? What are those cylinders in those shelves for? Its clearly categorized by year. If its like an archive room then yeah its not a joke, just reference or a symbol to the most notable event that year.

How the fuck do you get a "joke" from that. In what way is that supposed to make someone laugh...?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's a reference to a historical event in a game that paints a lot of historical events

some of you are trying waaaaayy too hard

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Wow a reference to one of the most infamous days in recent human history - it must be a controversy rather than some small nod to a massive part of the world's collective consciousness.
It's just a reference.. a nod.. nothing more.. and even if it would be a joke, so what?

People joke about Titanic, the Hindenburg, there are thousands and thousands WWI &WWII jokes (mostly WWII), etc.. who gives a shit
"oh the humanity" is one of the funniest phrases out of context.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
This is by the same team that made a videogame around Chernobyl, a reference to a disaster in their own country that arguably killed more people than 9/11. Why would they be super deferential to an American event 2 decades ago, come on now.

In what way is that a joke?

Its more of a nod to the events of that day....
I don't see how it's a joke?
I want someone to explain to me how you could interpret this as a joke.
It's an incongruous reference that's somewhat absurdist in its irreverence.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
There was some game recently with a reference to Iwata by giving him a headstone akin to the Link one in FF1. And some people said it was disrespectful because it implied this is where he was buried etc and didn't make sense because the game was set in the 90s.

It feels like it's missing the point of references and Easter eggs being a fourth wall thing, or at least bizarrely gatekeeping them. They are there for the player, not for the character.

Nothing about this comes across as "Haha". It's a plane, it's not poking fun at the event or laughing.

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018
I don't see the problem with this, if there was a "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" text in there, it'd be in poor taste but this just isn't - it's a small easter egg.

Oct 25, 2017
Satellite images? Hmmm, I remember reading in the british tabloid The Daily Star back in 2016 that Putin had some 'secret' satellite images of 9/11. Could be a reference to that.
That's way too obscure. It's just a thing somebody put there. There is no deeper meaning behind it, there's no joke, it's just a nod.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This bothers me only because I can't tell whether or not it's supposed to be in character. Is it just an easter egg for the player to find, a weird one if so, or is it supposed to be something that someone in the game world would have put there, since the world in Metro doesn't seem to diverge from the real world much before the war in 2013.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OUTRAAAAAAGE!

It feels like half the internet just look for things to complain about, it's a fucking sad world

It's a basic Easter egg highlighting a well known event, OP tries to find controversy in calling it a joke. Jesus.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Oh, give me break, a post-apocalyptic world where the humanity caused it's own "death" remembering one of the most tragic events ever must be a joke now? Geez..

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People acting like the planes are the weapons and all that but lest we forget innocent people were on those planes as well.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
A little dark humour maybe in that a plane is used as reference, but nothing to get worked up over.

Last edited:

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that the "murder weapon" isn't a great icon to represent such a tragedy.

Or maybe they should put toy AR-15s on every month in which a mass shooting happened in the US, too.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
This doesn't seem like a joke, like not even remotely close to one.
On another note, nothing is off limits when it comes to humor. It's all about intent.

Nothing wrong with memorializing the planes either, many people died on them as well.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Wow a reference to one of the most infamous days in recent human history - it must be a controversy rather than some small nod to a massive part of the world's collective consciousness.

"oh the humanity" is one of the funniest phrases out of context.

At first I heard that phrase used in so many comedic situations that when I heard and seen the scenes of the Hindenburg disaster, I was really surprised that it pretty much came from there.. but it still can used in many comedic ways

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't understand why someone would be mad about this if I'm honest.

Deleted member 4072

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd expect this to be patched out soon.
No it won't lol. I'd lose so much respect for the developers if they patched out something like this due to a small amount of people crying outrage. I mean if it offends americans so much why not patch out the guns too since they cause so much grief to the country?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
No it won't lol. I'd lose so much respect for the developers if they patched out something like this due to a small amount of people crying outrage. I mean if it offends americans so much why not patch out the guns too since they cause so much grief to the country?

It won't be because of 4A, it'll be because of Deep Silver. Any potential headline questioning whether or not there's a 9/11 joke in a game is a PR nightmare no publisher wants to deal with.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

That is a level of self reflection that is beyond this country

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I feel so much better about myself now that I have something to point my finger at!

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
If this isn't something worth being outraged over, you need to find a different hobby. It's not a joke, it's a reference, like thousands of other games, films, books, tv shows have had for tens of years.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Can't understand why someone would be mad about this if I'm honest.

I can't, either, really. But the fact it can be interpreted as some sort of joke (the fact this thread exists at all is proof of that) is enough to cause concern. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if it's patched out is all.