• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
This does seem in bad taste for this reason, those planes were used as weapons that helped murder thousands of people, using the murder weapon to acknowledge 911 is just lame and tasteless. If they used the toy plane to reference the conspiracy theory that the government planned on using remote control airplanes to orchestrate an attack, it's still inappropriate.

Think of it this way, if they used a toy gun to acknowledge the date of a mass shooting, would that be cool? Obviously not.

Oct 25, 2017
It's an easter egg. Using a plane seems like a weird reference though. If they'd put a flower or something in there it might be a nice tribute to commemorate the event. As it is, it's like someone screaming "hey, 9/11!" with no context, making it very hard to read.

Oct 25, 2017
This does seem in bad taste for this reason, those planes were used as weapons that helped murder thousands of people, using the murder weapon to acknowledge 911 is just lame and tasteless. If they used the toy plane to reference the conspiracy theory that the government planned on using remote control airplanes to orchestrate an attack, it's still inappropriate.

Think of it this way, if they used a toy gun to acknowledge the date of a mass shooting, would that be cool? Obviously not.

Why not?

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017

I mean it's like the most on the nose thing you could possibly do to reference such a huge event in history. I'd take no issue with using a gun in any other of the dates. The only thing they are doing is saying in an obvious way "this happened".

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of fail to see what's "neat" about this "easter egg". It's not something to make a big deal about but it is weird and in bad taste.

Also on the subject of 9/11 jokes being acceptable - I can see them being funny sure but it's all about context and given the tone of the Metro series such a joke would seem out of place, especially a meta joke like this one (assuming it's a joke).

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My word. Is anyone else bored of people constantly looking for or trying to manufacture outrage? Find something more productive to do.

I am, some of the stuff posted here is beyond crazy. I swear there are groups who go looking for stuff to get offended about, like puzzle solving communities.

Jan 3, 2019
You wouldn't use the murder weapon to memorialize any tragedy. To me, that glorfies the attackers and does not honor the victims.
Well, unless it was like a really long time ago
grand-theft-auto-5-gta-online-valentines-day-massacre-special.jpg

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of fail to see what's "neat" about this "easter egg". It's not something to make a big deal about but it is weird and in bad taste.

Also on the subject of 9/11 jokes being acceptable - I can see them being funny sure but it's all about context and given the tone of the Metro series such a joke would seem out of place, especially a meta joke like this one (assuming it's a joke).

Agreed, we can make fun of the Holocaust, we can make fun of anything, but the intent of this particular case it's strange.

Although, it also may be a case of lost in translation kind of thing... eastern European humor and all that.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
3 comparing the Christian cross to a model airplane is the weirdest thing I've seen in this forum

I hate to get in the way of some good old fashioned reductive snark, but I think you'll find it—- actually, you know what? You go for it. :)

If it helps, I also compared it to the Auschwitz Museum and Memorial.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
It seems fine but just to be safe I propose a forum-wide boycott and mass spamming of the #BoycottMetro hashtag on twitter

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I see nothing wrong with the reference. Also when 9/11 gets to 22.3 years then it will be funny.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
The title of that twitch clip "can't melt steel beams" is more disrespectful than the easter egg could ever be.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand what's going on in this thread. It isn't a joke, just a light acknowledgement. Yet people are getting angry over it? Insanity.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's disrespectful in the same way it would be to memorialize or acknowledge a mass shooting with simply a picture of a gun, or to acknowledge a bombing with just a bomb. Thousands of people died, that shouldn't be reduced to a little easter egg of a plane.

This honestly looks like being offended for the sake of being offended.

Gomography

Alt-account.
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
9/11 shouldn't be a big thing that you have to respect outside america. I mean, you guys are making jokes about a-bombs and you targeted civilians and a cultural center to cause as much damage as possible.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm from NYC, watched it happen with my own eyes from my school window and know tons of people affected by it directly.

Even I can't for the life of me see what there is to get upset about here. It's a reference, so what. Show me where the devs are mocking victims and you may have a point. People will obviously immediately recognize the plane if anything.

Not every reference has to meet your very personal parameters and guidelines in order to not be some malicious or tasteless offense, it's just a little nod.

This thread is almost as ridiculous as that Iwata gravestone easter egg one.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It's a little weird but references aren't jokes, ever.

Try this one on for size:

Iron Man. Lightsaber. Legolas!

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
9/11 shouldn't be a big thing that you have to respect outside america. I mean, you guys are making jokes about a-bombs and you targeted civilians and a cultural center to cause as much damage as possible.

It's not like it only affected Americans so I don't really get that line of thinking. Whataboutism when it comes to joking about horrific events is kind of weird as well.

Joke about what you like but don't whine when someone doesn't like it which is what most good comedians realise.

Oct 25, 2017
You wouldn't use the murder weapon to memorialize any tragedy. To me, that glorfies the attackers and does not honor the victims.

It's just an in game acknowledgement of a real event that had far reaching consequences. It's not like someone that worked in that office in the game world would build a plaque for it, but sticking their child's toy plane up there makes sense.

It's not making any statement or commentary beyond "this is a thing that happened"

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
What about games that have you as an active particpant in real wars? Those in no shape respect the history they mine into mindless entertainment. This is nothing compared to games like that.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure either, OP. Not what I was expecting. It's too implicit and subtle to be a reference to the event in-universe. Kinda feels like someone trying to be funny.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Just a simple acknowledgement to me.

Can we talk more about that streamers voice? He sounded like a Looney Toon character.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Era, what are you guys doing.

Maybe people are reacting to the name of the Twitch clip rather than the actual reference in the game.

I was kind of thinking the same thing as just the plane itself says nothing outside of this is a thing that happened in 2001. Don't really get where the joke part comes in.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
What about games that have you as an active particpant in real wars? Those in no shape respect the history they mine into mindless entertainment. This is nothing compared to games like that.
Yeah this also true tbh. However hard Devs may try to convey war as a harrowing experience in cutscenes, games are mostly meant to be exhilarating and fun which does a disservice to the actual events and victims. But that's a different conversation to be had.