• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing that the new Metro Exodus DLC was getting great reviews, I thought I'd jump back into my save game and finish the main game.

I didn't know why I stopped playing it, because I seemed to remember enjoying the game's new direction. The game loaded up
and there was a bear bashing through a burned church
, and within seconds I realized what had happened.

Somehow this game shipped with some of the worst FPS controls I've ever used on a controller. There are two main issues:

1. Moving the viewpoint up and down has a separate sensitivity than moving it left or right. Now this is annoying in and of itself, but in this particular case they also made it so you can't smoothly look in one direction then slightly adjust in another. What happens is that as soon as you start moving the viewpoint in a slightly different direction, the previous direction you were moving in stops abruptly. For example, if you are "quickly" panning the viewpoint left then slightly push up, the speed at which the left turn was happening almost completely stops and you start looking up with almost zero leftward movement even though you are still holding left on the stick at the same place.

2. The highest sensitivity for the look stick is extremely slow. Even with the slider maxed out, you turn far too slow. If you need to quickly turn around, forget about it.

Now, how did this happen? FPS controls on a console were solved two decades ago with Halo and then perfected with Call of Duty: MW.

How was this game able to go through an entire production and QA cycle with no one pointing out that the controls were completely fucked up? Even the worst Unity asset swap games have standard working gamepad FPS controls, and this is a massive AAA endeavor. And not just any AAA game. A AAA FPS shooter that was released on all consoles.

This is like if someone came out with a new car where you had to turn the steering wheel four times as far to turn the car. There would have to be so many failures on so many levels for that car to get released.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They fixed this in a patch but it's a bit clumsy how they did it. There's a fourth (I think it's the fourth) gamepad look preset that completely fixed the aim acceleration issues on the different axis and all that. After the patch new players have it as default but if you played the game before the update you'll still use the old presets.

Have a look at this and see if it fixes it for you, it definitely did for me.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After seeing that the new Metro Exodus DLC was getting great reviews, I thought I'd jump back into my save game and finish the main game.

I didn't know why I stopped playing it, because I seemed to remember enjoying the game's new direction. The game loaded up
and there was a bear bashing through a burned church
, and within seconds I realized what had happened.

Somehow this game shipped with some of the worst FPS controls I've ever used on a controller. There are two main issues:

1. Moving the viewpoint up and down has a separate sensitivity than moving it left or right. Now this is annoying in and of itself, but in this particular case they also made it so you can't smoothly look in one direction then slightly adjust in another. What happens is that as soon as you start moving the viewpoint in a slightly different direction, the previous direction you were moving in stops abruptly. For example, if you are "quickly" panning the viewpoint left then slightly push up, the speed at which the left turn was happening almost completely stops and you start looking up with almost zero leftward movement even though you are still holding left on the stick at the same place.

2. The highest sensitivity for the look stick is extremely slow. Even with the slider maxed out, you turn far too slow. If you need to quickly turn around, forget about it.

Now, how did this happen? FPS controls on a console were solved two decades ago with Halo and then perfected with Call of Duty: MW.

How was this game able to go through an entire production and QA cycle with no one pointing out that the controls were completely fucked up? Even the worst Unity asset swap games have standard working gamepad FPS controls, and this is a massive AAA endeavor. And not just any AAA game. A AAA FPS shooter that was released on all consoles.

This is like if someone came out with a new car where you had to turn the steering wheel four times as far to turn the car. There would have to be so many failures on so many levels for that car to get released.
Use the last gamepad preset.

Edit: welp

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
They fixed this in a patch but it's a bit clumsy how they did it. There's a fourth (I think it's the fourth) gamepad look preset that completely fixed the aim acceleration issues on the different axis and all that. After the patch new players have it as default but if you played the game before the update you'll still use the old presets.

Have a look at this and see if it fixes it for you, it definitely did for me.

I just tried all the sensitivity presets. The fourth one makes me turn slightly faster, but giving even the slightest up or down movement on the look stick makes my turn rate go down about 75%. So the up/down - left/right sensitivity issues are still there, and they are so bad it almost makes the turn sensitivity fix moot.

The only way to quickly turn is to keep the stick directly left or right with zero up or down movement. As soon as you try to look up down while turning the whole thing falls apart.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I've played it on an XB1X and had no issue. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone was.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like "Etch-a-Sketch" aiming like Uncharted 3 shipped with, then they patched in normal controls.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I love Metro series as I do Stalker series but Exodus is a janky AA game in AAA clothing. Voice acting, controls, storytelling etc all are subpar.

Last edited:

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just tried all the sensitivity presets. The fourth one makes me turn slightly faster, but giving even the slightest up or down movement on the look stick makes my turn rate go down about 75%. So the up/down - left/right sensitivity issues are still there, and they are so bad it almost makes the turn sensitivity fix moot.

The only way to quickly turn is to keep the stick directly left or right with zero up or down movement. As soon as you try to look up down while turning the whole thing falls apart.
The new preset they added definitely has uniform sensitivity when looking up/down and left/right. Easy to test by just making a smooth circle motion which isn't possible with the other options. This was the same issue that plagued MCC till they fixed it. I'll jump on the game later today and check which preset it is.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The new preset they added definitely has uniform sensitivity when looking up/down and left/right. Easy to test by just making a smooth circle motion which isn't possible with the other options. This was the same issue that plagued MCC till they fixed it. I'll jump on the game later today and check which preset it is.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't able to move the viewpoint in a smooth circle on any of the sensitivity presets

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Control has some weird gamepad acceleration issues too. The game has acceleration instead of a flat rate. I don't understand who that setting is for. Mouse acceleration is bad, why would I want it on an analog stick?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I had similar issues with the ports of the first two games on PS4, so it's a shame to hear they still have these issues on the new game.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Metro Exodus plays MUCH worse than Metro 2033/Last Light Redux on PS4

The control of 2033 & LL was actually quite decent but for some reason with Exodus they decided to make it the slowest, clumsiest shooter ever made.

Last edited: