• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
I'm really excited for it, one of my most anticipated titles this year.

Such a shame the series have always been kinda niche but hopefully the devs get the recognition then deserve.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
yes and it is the most impressive use of rtx we've seen yet

Just need to bring this back to speed because its a great example and another way realtime Ray-tracing can be implemented, and perhaps a better example of it.
What i look forward to even more, is the generational leaps of RTX cards which will enable multiple effects at once, rather than either this or that currently.

Imagine multiple light bounces of Ambient occlusion, with multiple lights sources, increased distance in reflections and so forth.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
I've not had the time to read/watch preview coverage. Fans of the series? Does it look like Exodus will retain the same creepy atmosphere and tactile interactions with the environment?

Also, are they keeping stealth as an optional approach? Leaning more or less into it? I like how the stealth was handled in the redux versions--simple and effective.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hyped, can't imagine not playing a game just bc it changed digital store fronts (unless it was legit not in my region).
Because its a fucking awful storefront and they outright just displayed pure greed in taking it off everything else 2 weeks before launch. It's inexcusable and people defending it should be fucking ashamed. Literally no issue with the game being on the EGS but buying it outright and taking it off Steam is a scumbag move.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I've not had the time to read/watch preview coverage. Fans of the series? Does it look like Exodus will retain the same creepy atmosphere and tactile interactions with the environment?

Also, are they keeping stealth as an optional approach? Leaning more or less into it? I like how the stealth was handled in the redux versions--simple and effective.
To me, it's looking like 4A's 'Witcher 3' moment. The stealth, general gameplay, and atmosphere has only gotten better with each iteration/remaster and it looks like Exodus is continuing the trend.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
To me, it's looking like 4A's 'Witcher 3' moment. The stealth, general gameplay, and atmosphere has only gotten better with each iteration/remaster and it looks like Exodus is continuing the trend.
That's the vibe I'm getting too. Much like how Witcher 3 elevated the strengths of the previous games to new heights while expanding the scope and ambition of the series, Exodus seems to be doing the same for the Metro series

I'm hoping there's a similar reception. The game going relatively open-area compared to its predecessors should hopefully attract more people

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm so beyond excited but I can't afford it right now. I had Far Cry: New Dawn paid off for a while but I can't swing Metro at the moment. I'll have to sit out for about a month or two.

sheepysheep

Nov 19, 2018
The game looks good. It remains to be seen if it does better than ever before because of all the publicity, or if user complaints actually translates into real action and it flops on PC. I'm excited, less for the game itself and more for the outcome of this fiasco.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Just read this on Steam game forums. Looks like we are not even getting pre-load.

ZYxLEj3.jpg

Ah well, I was going to download it on launch anyway. For my optic fiber it doesn't worth the time Steam takes to decrypt pre-load files.

Does the EGS even have a pre load feature? Deep Silver continuing to be shitty about a situation they created.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Because its a fucking awful storefront and they outright just displayed pure greed in taking it off everything else 2 weeks before launch. It's inexcusable and people defending it should be fucking ashamed. Literally no issue with the game being on the EGS but buying it outright and taking it off Steam is a scumbag move.

Had it just been exclusive to EGS from the start would you still be angry? I want to know where the line is here: is it that they took it off, or is it that its exclusive? Because the latter doesn't bother me at all and is a common move made by stores/services/companies for a long time. The former I could see bothering me a smidge, albeit not enough to avoid a game I was interested in playing.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested. I haven't played the previous two games myself, because I tried the first one and chickened out. But I've been watching Cohh stream them the last couple of weeks and I think I can probably handle Exodus now. It's definitely a very cool series.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Had it just been exclusive to EGS from the start would you still be angry? I want to know where the line is here: is it that they took it off, or is it that its exclusive? Because the latter doesn't bother me at all and is a common move made by stores/services/companies for a long time. The former I could see bothering me a smidge, albeit not enough to avoid a game I was interested in playing.

It's cool that you can outline for us what constitutes a "common move" made by digital game platform holders, since by all accounts what Epic and Deep Silver decided to do here is pretty new and unusual for PC digital gaming.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool that you can outline for us what constitutes a "common move" made by digital game platform holders, since by all accounts what Epic and Deep Silver decided to do here is pretty new and unusual for PC digital gaming.

I didn't say it was a common move for digital game platforms (at least not yet). I would say people dealing with digital fronts on PC have just been getting lucky.

I said it was a common move by stores/companies/services and this is absolutely true.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Metro is a series I enjoy but I can wait for it to get cheap, still to many games on my backlog to add anything right now.

Deleted member 4072

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes because moneyhatting the rights to a game to be sold on your platform and taking it off others is disgusting. Doing it this late is just an even bigger kick in the teeth. I don't think I've ever seen a case where a game store has had exclusive rights to sell a game so I don't see how it's a common move. That would be like Amazon turning around and announcing they have a deal with the developers to only sell Metro Exodus there any you cannot purchase it anywhere but Amazon. Unheard of.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Yes because moneyhatting the rights to a game to be sold on your platform and taking it off others is disgusting. Doing it this late is just an even bigger kick in the teeth. I don't think I've ever seen a case where a game store has had exclusive rights to sell a game so I don't see how it's a common move. That would be like Amazon turning around and announcing they have a deal with the developers to only sell Metro Exodus there any you cannot purchase it anywhere but Amazon. Unheard of.

I didn't say it was common for gaming. Although it's been there from the perspective of some console exclusives and stores of all types partake in the preorder exclusives.

Outside of gaming physical stores do exclusive merch. Music/streaming services also go down the exclusives route.

I think we're only seeing the beginning.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

This has happened several times with games for GameStop, but the biggest one I know of was Electroplankton for DS and maybe Xenoblade 1?

Never this level of game tho

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
If it had a multiplayer mode like they said LL was going to get(but never did)
It be a full price day one buy...

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
not every game needs a multiplayer mode, in fact they concentrated on expanding the formula and flesh out the world and not shoehorn a multiplayer mode in which was a wise decision in my book
This universe has mp written all over it IMO.

If the world was to big to do co-op then a competitive mode would be great.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

I really hope it is their Witcher 3 moment and it blows up like that game. They deserve it.

Also yikes at people hoping this to fail hard so it "sets an example" or something. What the fuck is wrong with some people?

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
I was, but EGS is a hard pass. Might have waited a year, but the response to the predictable backlash soured me on the lot of them. Will ignore if it ever comes to Steam.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When's the review embargo up? Thinking of cancelling my order due to the bullshit surrounding it.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018

I wouldn't go that far. The gameplay in Exodus looks exactly the same as in the previous games. They just added more environmental variety and more weapon customization. Exodus will very likely get similar sales and review scores to the previous games. It's not going to be 4A's breakout title like Witcher 3 was to CDPR.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I was really looking forward to it. Managed to get it on Steam too.
But now I dunno.

I was finally gonna play 2033 and Last Light these last weeks. Two games I think I'd love but just have not taken the time to play before (too many good games out there!). But after this whole debacle I have not been able to get back the interest to even play those two, and I'm still thinking of just refunding Exodus and eventually get it in a year instead. It makes me sad.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Based on the videos I'm pretty interested in this. Looks like a very cool game with its world building.
Will wait for reviews and impressions to decide. It's not like I'm short on good games to play anyway.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to this one. But I've been replaying the originals and the shooter mechanics suck. They rob from the fantastic atmosphere. That combined with the withdraw of the Steam version and it's killed any hype that I've had for the game. I'll buy it for $20 or less from the Steam Summer Sale next year.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go that far. The gameplay in Exodus looks exactly the same as in the previous games. They just added more environmental variety and more weapon customization. Exodus will very likely get similar sales and review scores to the previous games. It's not going to be 4A's breakout title like Witcher 3 was to CDPR.

Yeah matching The Witcher 3 will be a tall order. Witcher 3 arguably changed how the industry looked at RPGs and you have companies chasing that game still (see Assasins Creed the last couple years). Even now 4 years later after release it is still thought of as a top RPG by gamers, and has stayed in the top 3 for sales on Steam during the whole lunar new year sale. If Metro Exodus reviews well it will help expand the franchise to more people, but I don't know if it'll be an industry changer like The Witcher 3. These events don't happen very often. Also, the whole EGS ordeal isn't going to help things. Whatever it sells on the EGS will only be a fraction of what Metro would have sold on Steam. Especially this past week where people could have used the 5 dollar off coupon to pre order the game. Such bad timing removing the game from Steam right before the Lunar New Year sale promo occurred.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Had it just been exclusive to EGS from the start would you still be angry? I want to know where the line is here: is it that they took it off, or is it that its exclusive? Because the latter doesn't bother me at all and is a common move made by stores/services/companies for a long time.

On console, yes. On pc, no. Epic is the only company paying devs or publishers to pull their games away from competing storefronts right before release. I will not support such a scummy practice with my money and I hope other pc gamers won't support this as well.

I believe that storefronts should compete with features and policies, instead of preventing games being launched on better storefronts.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I switched to a RTX card just for this game. Nvidia should be thankful I managed to buy from steam, 10 minutes before it was removed.

I don't really get the whole ray tracing hype. Yes, I can see it gives more realistic lighting and reflections when you pay attention to it, but my guess is it's also something you don't immediately miss when accidentally turned off. But maybe I'm just wrong and all.

On: Finished Last this weekend, right on time. Can't wait.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Hype check threads are pretty much always bad but this particular case makes for a perfect storm. On topic: I'll probably end up getting this game many years from now, at a deep discount.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I wanted to get this game day 1. I will now get the game in a year or two when I have an RTX capable graphics card.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the whole ray tracing hype. Yes, I can see it gives more realistic lighting and reflections when you pay attention to it, but my guess is it's also something you don't immediately miss when accidentally turned off. But maybe I'm just wrong and all.

Well, what can I say other than: I think metro looks a lot better with raytraced ambient occlusion in those trailers. Some people are blind to 4k, HDR or even 60fps (let alone higher refresh rates). Fine with me, PC gaming is about freedom and choosing. Nobody is forcing resolution, frame rates or settings on you, the game will stay the same. Not jumping on the ray tracing hype train is as understandable as looking forward to it in my book.
The question isn't if ray tracing is cool or the future. The real problem is the price Nvidia is currently asking for it. RTX cards are stupid expensive. It's hard to justify them from a pure performance perspective, everybody gets that.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

They have a huge impact on visuals so of course you'd miss them. I have yet to play BF5 without RTX on even though that would mean I could get an easy 4K 60, just because the reflections add such a dynamic striking component to the final image.
Metro I'd say is bound to be even more noticeable since the GI and AO will affect everything, not just reflective surfaces. I really hope I can get at least 1440p60 out of it cause 1080p is going to be hard to do.