• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
but they still hold up really well, especially the Redux.

Oh for sure. I had a great time with Redux. I'm sure they will have considered that a lot of the audience might not've played them though. I imagine it'll be possible to enjoy the game without the context of the first two games.

I'd recommend everyone play them at some point though.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's childish or petty that some people can't play for a year and are vocal about it. Exclusivity deals can be rough for those who can't afford to buy both launchers

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
It looks GOTY contender amazing in the trailers, but i'll expect the reviews.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Oh for sure. I had a great time with Redux. I'm sure they will have considered that a lot of the audience might not've played them though. I imagine it'll be possible to enjoy the game without the context of the first two games.

I'd recommend everyone play them at some point though.

I just grabbed them both for Xbox One to play them in preparation for Exodus.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This will be 30 or 60 FPS on Pro/X?

Really, really hope this game delivers
I played the Gamescom build on Xbox One X and it was native 4K at 30fps. We'll see how it shapes up in the final.

It's a VERY different thing from the other Metro games from what I can tell. Those are narrow, linear shooters but this has large, outdoor areas more like STALKER. Curious to see the final game!

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I played the Gamescom build on Xbox One X and it was native 4K at 30fps. We'll see how it shapes up in the final.

It's a VERY different thing from the other Metro games from what I can tell. Those are narrow, linear shooters but this has large, outdoor areas more like STALKER. Curious to see the final game!
Speaking of STALKER, a sorta look back/retro on the STALKER games (the first one in particular) would be awesome. They were pretty advanced for their time, especially in lighting.

Oct 26, 2017

There were two more open ended levels (one in a swamp I think?) in Metro LL. Also, in one of the DLC you could explore an area and gain upgrades that would allow you to freely explore it more and more, it felt like a prototype of something more open ended. So they already showed the start of the evolution there.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Footage I watched yesterday looked completely unappealing like Far Cry with clearing out bases. Even had the shit driving segments where you get mobbed by enemies on the way to the next one. Excitement is at a low

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There were two more open ended levels (one in a swamp I think?) in Metro LL. Also, in one of the DLC you could explore an area and gain upgrades that would allow you to freely explore it more and more, it felt like a prototype of something more open ended. So they already showed the start of the evolution there.
Yeah, you're right, but they were still pretty small in scope. The build of Metro I played for an hour was massive - more like a Crysis level or something (but not necessarily true open world thankfully).

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I prefer well designed big levels like in prey, Deus ex or Dishonored 2 over gigantic open worlds.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Footage I watched yesterday looked completely unappealing and like Far Cry and clearing out bases. Even had the shit driving segments where you get mobbed by enemies on the way to the next one. Excitement is at a low

It's still just a linear game where you have a clear mission objective. So you have to go to a certain point and do stuff and then proceed to the next point. The levels are wider than before, is the only difference. This is nothing like Far Cry and as far as I know, it has no bases to clear out (except if they're part of the story, like in the previous games).

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Personally, I prefer well designed big levels like in prey, Deus ex or Dishonored 2 over gigantic open worlds.

Well, I can tell you that Exodus doesn't have gigantic open worlds. The levels are big, yes, but they have a clear objective. Now, there are dynamic events that happen in those levels that you can partake or explore them and gain some rewards. But that's it.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
It's still just a linear game where you have a clear mission objective. So you have to go to a certain point and do stuff and then proceed to the next point. The levels are wider than before, is the only difference. This is nothing like Far Cry and as far as I know, it has no bases to clear out (except if they're part of the story, like in the previous games).
It was someone running around a desert, getting to a base and clearing it out, and then driving away without any sort of story event and getting mobbed constantly but I didn't want to watch hours of footage so hopefully you're right!

Was hudless ala ranger hardcore at least

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Pre-load, not pre-order.

I got it on a price mistake on steam months ago, guess that was a sign >.>

So confusing with preload and preorder lol.

I preordered when they gave the 24hour notice a few weeks ago, but my question was when does the preload start this week ?

A sign indeed ! I'm surprised by how many people seem super bitter about it to the extent they say they won't be getting it. I can't decide if people were that put off by the decision or if they were never going to get it anyway and are just shit stiring.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

this is NO OPEN WORLD GAME! there are 4 big areas where you can take your time and explore or just go through in a linear way, when you leave the area you can´t go back and the train is going to the next area...it is a "wide linear" approach, not open world

besides that i will say it again, this will be a very special game oozing with atmosphere and it is the next big step for this franchise. it will blow players away and surprise many people.

and it will be a shame how many people will buy this Far Cry 5 rehash game over Metro Exodus.

ukas

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Redux back when it came out but, didn't play it. I'm going through it now in anticipation of Exodus. I finished up 2033 and am about halfway through Last Light. If you haven't played them before, do it. They are both fairly short at around 10 hours or so a piece.

Oct 26, 2017
I have too many games on my plate at the moment, so this will be one that is sadly decided for me by reviews. If they are good, or Reset loves it, I'll be snatching a copy here in a few weeks.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, you're right, but they were still pretty small in scope. The build of Metro I played for an hour was massive - more like a Crysis level or something (but not necessarily true open world thankfully).

Something interesting for me is the overt Stalker influnce: not only in the bigger but still discrete levels, but they also put anomalies too?! lol

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
I've never played any of these games before but the latest installment looks absolutely phenomenal. The visuals, attention to detail, and sense of realism is remarkable. Reminds me of what Fallout 4 should have been. A truly next gen experience.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
So confusing with preload and preorder lol.

I preordered when they gave the 24hour notice a few weeks ago, but my question was when does the preload start this week ?

A sign indeed ! I'm surprised by how many people seem super bitter about it to the extent they say they won't be getting it. I can't decide if people were that put off by the decision or if they were never going to get it anyway and are just shit stiring.

Well honestly there are some legit reasons to be stiring it. As far as I saw, no preload for steam if you got it.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Saw 30 seconds of gameplay and had 0 interest. I couldn't force myself through the other metro titles either.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

Thanx! Gonna rock this baby on the X it seems

Abt your second paragraph i feel slightly scared. I really loved the first 2 games (redux) because they worked so well in that claustrophobic atmosphere. I am not sure how i feel about it being more open-world. These werent my favourite parts in the series but i do hear a lot of good noise about STALKER so i hope this is for me as well.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Dark1x Do you happen to know if the console versions has an HDR slider, like Ubisoft's titles?

Moose the Mooche You shoudn't worry. There will be plenty claustrophobic Metro environments. According to interviews, the typical Metro feeling has been preserved.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Very interested in this. Enjoyed prior Metro games so long as this one can match prior games then it's what I plan on doing next weekend. Can't wait for Wednesday's reviews to drop.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I was excited until I saw a video that said the gameplay is still linear, the maps are just bigger apparently. I was really hoping this would be a Fallout game that was possibly made better.

I'll play it when it's on sale.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realize this game uses hairworks too. I love hairworks, couldn't play the Witcher on PC without it. The mutated monsters are going to look great.
Kindred spirits here, I also loved hairworks on Witcher 3 and I found it odd that so many people claimed it was just ugly. I think that can be mainly attributed to envy and jealousy, as they probably didn't have the hardware to run the game with it on, but for those of us who did, (granted it was terribly optimized), hairworks really did look outstanding and I find it hard to play the game without it now. In particular it tends to make monsters look very realistic and frightening, so I'm sure it'll go great with this game.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
It's been on my radar since announcement but kind of faded out of mind as the months passed. Now that we're so close, I'm feeling pretty hyped! Maybe not a day one though.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
There is one guy on YT who is playing the whole game and man, the attention to details in this game is still so, so fantastic.. just like in previous Metro games

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
I was looking forward to picking it up to have another RTX game to test, and because I loved the first two games in the series. The idea of building an open world game with the level of detail and atmosphere the Metro games are known for was really exciting, but the idea of forcing a store-front exclusive on PC really rubs me the wrong way. Especially on such short notice. I understand when developers have their own storefronts (EA, Blizzard, Ubisoft), but it seems absurd for a developer to jump onto a third-party service at the expense of consumer choice.

There are plenty of other games I've been meaning to get around to, and I'm unfortunately no longer compelled to pick this one up any time soon.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
You couldn't play TW because of the way the hair looked? Seriously?

I was willing to lower other settings or resolution to have hairworks on. Its a big difference in creature/characters models.

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-hairworks-002-off.png
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-hairworks-002-on.png

Makes the models look significantly better. Will do the same in Exodus too. Nvidia always making advancements.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Kindred spirits here, I also loved hairworks on Witcher 3 and I found it odd that so many people claimed it was just ugly. I think that can be mainly attributed to envy and jealousy, as they probably didn't have the hardware to run the game with it on, but for those of us who did, (granted it was terribly optimized), hairworks really did look outstanding and I find it hard to play the game without it now. In particular it tends to make monsters look very realistic and frightening, so I'm sure it'll go great with this game.

Agreed. I'm with you that its sour grapes. You are going to see the same sentiments in the videos made for the RTX GI and AO upon Exodus' release.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Hype was completely deflated by epic bs, will maybe buy when it will be 15€ on steam.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I'm with you that its sour grapes. You are going to see the same sentiments in the videos made for the RTX GI and AO upon Exodus' release.
Yeah I'm ready for it, just like the people who said it was terrible and not worth it in Battlefield V when it was absolutely gorgeous and relatively well optimized after that second big patch for it. Even on low, the ray tracing in that game completely changed the experience for me, but that's not me saying to rush out and buy a five hundred dollar card to experience it, I understand thinking that's ridiculous and I agree, but let's not start saying ray tracing is bs simply because most of us don't have the hardware to run it yet. It's definitely the future in terms of visual technologies, and it's one of the main reasons I preordered Exodus to begin with, as that ray tracing tech demo for it is a big reason why I got an RTX card in the first place.