• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Question is this game easy to jump into without playing the other games?

so far sure but you won´t have any connection to the characters or events. i think it is better when playing the first two before, they are cheap and not so long, then you also have the comparison to the first two and the difference is much bigger.

for my savegame: don´t craft bullets too fast, it can crash your game and delete the save file...game is in need of some patches asap, if i hadn´t had the cloud save my savefile would be gone for good now

TacoSavage

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I wasted 60 bucks on this game because not a single review touched on just how terrible the controls are and how bad the input lag is. It literally takes a full second for a button press to register and combined with the atrocious feel of the controls at least on ps4 pro, after 5 hours I just cannot play this game anymore. I cannot have fun if the most crucial aspect of a game (its controls) is so sluggish. RDR2 was slow on purpose, this is just borderline unplayable especially coming off buttery smooth BF5.

I really wish frame rates and tight controls played a bigger role in reviews. Such a promising game bogged down by Killzone 2 levels of bad controls.

Chasm of the Abyss

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
UK
So the third hub world is more just a big linear level?

I have to say being stealthy in a forest with a crossbow is not what I was expecting.

This is now Far Cry: Metro.

I'm still having an ok time with the game but the potential of the first hub world is a distant memory.

Easily the worst Metro game 😕

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I wasted 60 bucks on this game because not a single review touched on just how terrible the controls are and how bad the input lag is. It literally takes a full second for a button press to register and combined with the atrocious feel of the controls at least on ps4 pro, after 5 hours I just cannot play this game anymore. I cannot have fun if the most crucial aspect of a game (its controls) is so sluggish. RDR2 was slow on purpose, this is just borderline unplayable especially coming off buttery smooth BF5.

I really wish frame rates and tight controls played a bigger role in reviews. Such a promising game bogged down by Killzone 2 levels of bad controls.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed the input lag. I'm playing on The X1X. It's been driving me crazy and had no idea why no one else has mentioned it.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone having an issue with input lag in this game? I'm playing on my Xbox One X and it feels like I'm dealing with a ton of input lag while aiming?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Is anyone having an issue with input lag in this game? I'm playing on my Xbox One X and it feels like I'm dealing with a ton of input lag while aiming?

it is wonky on all platforms...crank up the sensitivity sliders, thats all that can be done at the moment. for me it seems it is a deadzone issue because it reacts fast enough when wiggling the analog but something is off with the deadzone

as i said, the game needs some patches for sure, hopefully they react fast

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
it is wonky on all platforms...crank up the sensitivity sliders, thats all that can be done at the moment. for me it seems it is a deadzone issue because it reacts fast enough when wiggling the analog but something is off with the deadzone

as i said, the game needs some patches for sure, hopefully they react fast
I do hope they fix this issue soon enough. It's unplayable for me in the current state.

TacoSavage

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I do hope they fix this issue soon enough. It's unplayable for me in the current state.

same for me, im about halfway through hub one and im done, every firefight is a chore to a point where i was thinking to myself, why am i even playing this when something so fundamental is not even fun. once i see a patch and patch notes touch on something control or performance wise then i'll load it up again.

waste of money on consoles at current stage

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm tapping out somewhat early on Exodus. I'm a decent fan of the series (I thought 2033 was massively overrated versus the hype, but that's a story for another time), and a huge STALKER fan, but this isn't really scratching either itch and I'm not sold on what 4A were trying to accomplish.

The fundamental issue I have is in the open hubs and the overwhelming feeling of purposelessness I have in them. STALKER succeeded as the high level player agency meant my presence in the game world existed only as an expression of myself, in that I chose what missions I wanted to do and when, I chose how to act, and I chose where to go. This works in a survival-like framework as the pacing is player controlled and resources are a measurable scarcity. Exploring optional areas came with a thrill of not just uncovering the unknown, but maybe acquiring better gear, or resources to sell to upgrade my existing gear. The huge assortment of weapons, equipment, store goods, etc etc. I felt like I was always working towards something, and that something was varied and based on my choice.

With Exodus I can't shake the looming push by the narrative that for me trivialises the progression, because I don't care about the narrative. The cast is boring, the premise is a dull set up and delivered awfully due to a messy audio mixing, and so any moment I'm engaging with NPCs and having the narrative build its world I either have no idea what's going on or don't care. And because there's no real sense of open progression, it's all an illusion, I can't help but feel all my secondary exploring is just burning the fuse, buying time unnecessarily as the game inevitably funnels me towards some NPC-related story objective of which I have no choice in or sense of presence.

Basically, I don't give a flying fuck about anyone or anything, and I don't feel the game cares enough to reward my investment in the world its created. Maybe I could go explore that area over there? Yeah but then I have to chew through a ton of mutants with my already limited ammo in faux-open areas and be rewarded with nothing that really helps me progress into the story missions I'll be rapidly funnelled into anyway, wherein I'll inevitably have several boring characters talk over each other, have to shoot scripted mutant and/or human encounters, and then be talked at or forced into situations my mute protagonist is just a passenger in. Scatter a ton of self indulgent first person over scripted cinematic moments and we're done.

I don't want to drag others into my cyclone of cynicism and I really want to give it more of a shock, but this is probably going to end up in the same camp as Wolfenstein The New Colossus: Disappointment.

I'm sure there is equipment you can totally miss without exploring and NPC WORLD reactions & narrative can change based on your actions(not killing bandits,being hostile to fanatics, )

Also I love the story of Artyom and relations with the other characters that you meet of the course of two other games.

Lastly I'm sure the first area can end very differently with a certain characters life isn't guaranteed to live depending on what you do.

Being a HUGE S.T.AL.K.E.R fan back in the day & the excellent modding was best. Exodus is EXACTLY what I always wanted.

Sadly the only way to make it feel DECENT is tweaking with a ELITE Controller. For me I set the RS to Agressive. Someone suggested I think LS to Instant?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Has 4A mentioned anything about the next patch? I can't believe they would want to have the game in its current state for too much longer.

Also I read through the notes for the notes for the day one patch and they mention "fine tuning" the Atmos support. Really?

Oct 27, 2017
Atmos is terrible in this game. It makes the ambiance ridiculously soft and muffled while your weapons sound loud as hell. You're definitely better off disabling it especially with headphones. The normal mix sound a little more balanced but it still has the shuffling footsteps, compressed sounding quality and missing sounds. I'm wondering what happened this time around because I do not remember 2033 or Last Light having these issues.

I just started the game today and thought so too. After Shadow of the Tomb Raider's awesome Dolby Atmos mix, I thought I my system was off. I am so glad I am not the only one.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Being a HUGE S.T.AL.K.E.R fan back in the day & the excellent modding was best. Exodus is EXACTLY what I always wanted.
Agree. Exodus is so much more than I expected it to be, absolutely love it. I understand that people who expected a claustrophobic experience like the first 2 Metro games are disappointed.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Has 4A mentioned anything about the next patch? I can't believe they would want to have the game in its current state for too much longer.

Also I read through the notes for the notes for the day one patch and they mention "fine tuning" the Atmos support. Really?

I just tweeted them about the input lag. We'll see.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First impressions are bad with this but I implore those who are hating the first area to keep going because it gets real good as soon as you get out of Volga. I've nearly wrapped it up and I have to say I was wrong about it: it's one of the finest FPS games I've played this gen and some of the areas look beautiful and certainly shouldn't be missed.

EasyCompany

Jan 28, 2018
I've had a few odd bugs (like a spitting monster hitting me through a wall) and the load times are bonkers, but nothing that's hampering my enjoyment of the game. It looks absolutely gorgeous and the plot/characters have me engage. My first Metro game, I'm really liking it.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna

lol I bought the game on a whim and I came here to post about this. the input lag or deadzone thing is so severe it makes me really question how stuff like this gets ignored constantly.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Locked up again 50 minutes into the game. I'm done for now. I'll see how it goes on the next patch. I've honestly never had a game on a console that locked up this much. Crazy.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
Just beat it. One of my favorite games of this gen. The last section fulfilled everything I wanted from the game. In the end the whole open world hullabaloo was just marketing talk, thank god. And I got the best ending without knowing their would be multiple endings again, which was fantastic.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
lol I bought the game on a whim and I came here to post about this. the input lag or deadzone thing is so severe it makes me really question how stuff like this gets ignored constantly.
Thank goodness for places like era, the feeling of input lag drives me nuts personally. Was definitely planning to nab this until I read about it on here. Wish I had taken people at face value on RDR2's sluggish controls, fell for the hype on that one lol

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
This thread sealed it for me. If I didn't have crackdown and far cry to play, I would honestly suck it up and keep going, but the control/sluggishness of everything are enough for me to just put the game down and wait for a week or 2 until it hopefully gets resolved. Plenty of time before the March blitz for me to hopefully pick it back up

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
There was a tooltip that I only got a partial read on.

It said something like "supplies will be given to the base". And now like 3/4 of my supplies are gone.

How does this system work?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Also, why is the character's mantle grunt mixed like 5 times louder than every other sound?

It is like a ear shattering thunderclap out of nowhere when I pull myself over a fence.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i think many people don´t realize that this is a small, very passionate team...i am sure there will be fixes coming for the problems, they just need a little time, i don´t wanna know how hard they have been working on this game in the last years. this is far from a AAA mega studio with hundreds of people.

i really think what they´ve achieved here is nuts for the number of people working there...

maybe take a look at the making of for more insight:

""We are not trying to go for Games As Service or those new trends. We're still aiming for; this is what you guys asked for, we're gonna deliver"

Last edited:

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I am loving the game so far but my main complaint is everything feels so.. i dont know like it lacks punch? I get hit but there is no feedback. I shoot enemies and it feels like nothing. Even important dialogue which should be tense or suspenseful is like meh. Other than that though its great.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I think I'm at the final mission for the desert biome. I just can't agree with the complaints to gunplay, on PC it's it's really satisfying.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the third hub world is more just a big linear level?

I have to say being stealthy in a forest with a crossbow is not what I was expecting.

This is now Far Cry: Metro.

I'm still having an ok time with the game but the potential of the first hub world is a distant memory.

Easily the worst Metro game 😕
Was afraid of this.

Ive asked like 2 times now in this thread yet no answers about the last 2 hubs and if they were like the first 2. Oh well.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
When you kill the last heavy guy, go upstairs where the control room is, but instead of going there go around on the balcony and the lever is there by the zipline. Easy to miss.

The slaves just cheer and run out. No key like the religious slaves.

I pulled the lever and the prisoners hoorayed out, but the question mark is still there on the map?
DzpRoIUW0AAeLyV.jpg:large

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's such a minor issue, but hopefully it gets attention down the line. Taking good screenshots of characters is almost impossible. Here is a screenshot comparison which shows a character in-game vs photo mode. Characters become very blurry when photo mode or ansel is enabled. Completely disabling motion blur does not fix this.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130374

But yeah... minor thing :)

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else feeling some damage inconsistency? I'm playing on Hardcore and while you can take out the Watchers and Humanoid mutants with one bullet to the head in most cases, if you're hitting body shots it feels like it takes 10+ rounds to take them down. Wonder if it's just me... makes me feel like I'm just wasting bullets.

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Just finished the game, what a ride. This game made me so tense 80% of the time I was playing it. They really bumped up the atmosphere in this game to an insane level. My thoughts about the ending:
I can't help but feel the ending is very abrupt. I was imagining at least one more section following the Winter chapter, but was pretty sad to see that isn't the case. I finished the game with everyone still alive/with me excluding Miller. Real sad to see him go after so much character development on his part too. A lot of things in this game felt kind of shoehorned in, like Anna's illness. It felt a little lame that there wasn't a real endgoal for the crew beside cure her illness. I loved the game to bits though, especially playing it on hardcore difficulty. Also, screw that bear. Jerk.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game, what a ride. This game made me so tense 80% of the time I was playing it. They really bumped up the atmosphere in this game to an insane level. My thoughts about the ending:
I can't help but feel the ending is very abrupt. I was imagining at least one more section following the Winter chapter, but was pretty sad to see that isn't the case. I finished the game with everyone still alive/with me excluding Miller. Real sad to see him go after so much character development on his part too. A lot of things in this game felt kind of shoehorned in, like Anna's illness. It felt a little lame that there wasn't a real endgoal for the crew beside cure her illness. I loved the game to bits though, especially playing it on hardcore difficulty. Also, screw that bear. Jerk.
Ok maybe you can answer my question, how are the last 2 hubs compared to the first 2?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am torn between English and Russian. Russian is so much better but man there's so much dialogue in this game that I'm missing during hectic moments it feels like because I can't keep up with it + sneak or fight, and I end up stopping to read too much.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
This is the most beautiful, unplayable game I've ever seen. The HDR coupled with the amazing graphics is on another level.

BUT, the controls are basically broken. The first real firefight in the train area was impossible. The default controls are insanely sluggish and the auto aim seems to be messed up too. My reticle was right on an enemy and the shots didn't register. The lag feels worse than Killzone 2! I tried multiple settings but it just feels like shit. Artyum also gets caught on shit in the environment like crazy and the sound is balanced poorly. Then there's the terrible footstep shuffle. Sounds like Happy Metro Feet.

If they fix the controls I see a great game here but as it stands, I can't believe it reviewed so well, and this is coming from someone who is enjoying Crackdown 3! leng jai , as usual, you were right.

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Ok maybe you can answer my question, how are the last 2 hubs compared to the first 2?
The only zone besides the first zone comparable in terms of exploration/S.T.A.L.K.E.R feel is the 3rd zone. The 2nd zone (Not the intermission between zone 1 and 2) was much too empty feeling for me and was imo the low point of the game. The final zone was also just ok compared to the first and 3rd, but overall I liked it better than the Caspian Sea. In my opinion this game really feels more like an attempt to make a new S.T.A.L.K.E.R than a new Metro game, but I'll be honest I freakin' loved it. I'm not sure if that answers your question but I can elaborate if needed.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the most beautiful, unplayable game I've ever seen. The HDR coupled with the amazing graphics is on another level.

BUT, the controls are basically broken. The first real firefight in the train area was impossible. The default controls are insanely sluggish and the auto aim seems to be messed up too. My reticle was right on an enemy and the shots didn't register. The lag feels worse than Killzone 2! I tried multiple settings but it just feels like shit. Artyum also gets caught on shit in the environment like crazy and the sound is balanced poorly. Then there's the terrible footstep shuffle. Sounds like Happy Metro Feet.

If they fix the controls I see a great game here but as it stands, I can't believe it reviewed so well, and this is coming from someone who is enjoying Crackdown 3! leng jai , as usual, you were right.
I can't believe it didnt review better. No issues with playability on a pc with 360 controller. Maybe its a console thing.

The only zone besides the first zone comparable in terms of exploration/S.T.A.L.K.E.R feel is the 3rd zone. The 2nd zone (Not the intermission between zone 1 and 2) was much too empty feeling for me and was imo the low point of the game. The final zone was also just ok compared to the first and 3rd, but overall I liked it better than the Caspian Sea. In my opinion this game really feels more like an attempt to make a new S.T.A.L.K.E.R than a new Metro game, but I'll be honest I freakin' loved it. I'm not sure if that answers your question but I can elaborate if needed.

Well now you're just contradicting the other dude who said the 3rd hub was a linear level and nothing like the first one. Lol anyways i guess i shouldnt worry. Everyone's opinions seem all over the place.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

it is slow but the controls aren´t broken, test out "preset 2" and crank up all sliders, not perfect but it is better than "preset 1". and shoot when you crouch, there was a tooltip saying you should crouch when shooting because it will be delayed when standing, this is no action shooter....

i think the AI is in a badder state than the controls, enemies walking through walls or through the air, glitching together or straight out doing nothing if you murder another NPC standing right next to them.

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Well now you're just contradicting the other dude who said the 3rd hub was a linear level and nothing like the first one. Lol anyways i guess i shouldnt worry. Everyone's opinions seem all over the place.
Well, I suppose I've never been good with words lol. I'm not going to lie, the game is very linear. But, it's still a wide linear game sort of like Witcher 2 I suppose. I found myself exploring a lot during the first zone and third zone, but in the second area there just wasn't very many interesting places to explore.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that the tension is really high, which is surprising based on the change of pace/setting. That being said, I think I've felt more dread wandering the first hub world than I have in the entirety of the original two games. Something about it just makes you so damn uneasy, especially when you're running low on resources and are far from any sort of home base. It's really surprising me with how tense it is.

This is the first day I've really dug in and I'm really, really enjoying it. I'm just glad a game like this can exist in 2019 that's the result of a small team's hard work over many years. They deserve success with this one.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
it is slow but the controls aren´t broken, test out "preset 2" and crank up all sliders, not perfect but it is better than "preset 1". and shoot when you crouch, there was a tooltip saying you should crouch when shooting because it will be delayed when standing, this is no action shooter....

i think the AI is in a badder state than the controls, enemies walking through walls or through the air, glitching together or straight out doing nothing if you murder another NPC standing right next to them.

Not an action shooter? You have fast creatures coming at you from all over. Even for general exploration it feels like Ive got weights on each foot.

I'll try preset 2 and see what happens. Thanks for the tip! The other games in the series felt so good to me, so this sucks.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I am torn between English and Russian. Russian is so much better but man there's so much dialogue in this game that I'm missing during hectic moments it feels like because I can't keep up with it + sneak or fight, and I end up stopping to read too much.
Definitely Russian. I know I miss some stuff and I spend a lot of time reading, but what it adds to the overall immersion is hard to beat. Combined with how many first person animations there are and the overall game's ability to really put you in Artyom's perspective, I think it just makes a big difference.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Not an action shooter? You have fast creatures coming at you from all over. Even for general exploration it feels like Ive got weights on each foot.

I'll try preset 2 and see what happens. Thanks for the tip! The other games in the series felt so good to me, so this sucks.

i am playing on Ranger Hardcore and i am in the second big hub area now, if the controls were completely broken i wouldn´t be there .-) but it has problems with the deadzone and the y-axis is slower than the x-axis, they have to patch this or provide sliders to adjust deadzone and axis movement. preset 2 is better than preset 1 for me, feels more precise.

you have enemies moving fast but you can see them from afar, sneaking slowly and taking shots...this is definitely not meant to be played as a fast paced shooter, he is slow because of the armor he wears and aiming is slow because the weapons are heavy. imo, it is meant to feel more heavy and tanky in comparison to other shooters.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
i am playing on Ranger Hardcore and i am in the second big hub area now, if the controls were completely broken i wouldn´t be there .-) but it has problems with the deadzone and the y-axis is slower than the x-axis, they have to patch this or provide sliders to adjust deadzone and axis movement. preset 2 is better than preset 1 for me, feels more precise.

you have enemies moving fast but you can see them from afar, sneaking slowly and taking shots...this is definitely not meant to be played as a fast paced shooter, he is slow because of the armor he wears and aiming is slow because the weapons are heavy. imo, it is meant to feel more heavy and tanky in comparison to other shooters.

I get what you're saying but why didn't the other Metro games feel like this if it's intended? It's just odd. As for ranger hardcore, you're better than me for sure, lol.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I get what you're saying but why didn't the other Metro games feel like this if it's intended? It's just odd. As for ranger hardcore, you're better than me for sure, lol.

the other Metro games also had a relatively sluggish feel compared to say, Far Cry or Wolfenstein, there were even complaints about that back when 2033 released. i really think it is meant as a more "realistic" way of movement, sort of like Red Dead 2 also handled it.