• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to keep spoiler free but I can't play this for a few weeks, but I'm patiently awaiting that time cause I really liked the first two games. Haven't read much of anything about the reception. How is it? Mediocre, best game in the series, did open worldish hurt the series?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to keep spoiler free but I can't play this for a few weeks, but I'm patiently awaiting that time cause I really liked the first two games. Haven't read much of anything about the reception. How is it? Mediocre, best game in the series, did open worldish hurt the series?

I suspect that the lesser quality of the console experience is hurting the reception more than any gameplay factors.

Personally, on PC, it's my favorite Metro, but I wasn't a big fan of the environment variety and more linear world of the first games.

Mar 29, 2018
Finished the game today on hardcore (PC). Was a real rush. It's actually such a good game in so many ways it is hard to believe it exists; the open areas are designed with such attention to detail and care, with such a strong coherence to the plot, characters that inhabit those areas, and gameplay, it's probably one of the best examples we have right now of 10/10 level design for a modern era. The gameplay itself is a step above previous entries; the survival elements of the game shine hard now, with resources being more scarce, and the need to customize your weapon for the encounters being far more important. Finally, the survival *Horror* elements of the game have never been so pronounced: this is a fucking scary game. Like, actually, terrifying.

It's not a perfect game; sound mixing is pretty bad, and there's a lot of "jank" in some of the stuff you do: climbing, especially, but general movement. The voice-acting is hit or miss, but for most of it I accepted it as reasonable camp. Finally, there are some tonal oddities, and while I think the game does nothing but *expand* the world of Metro, I can understand why some people might be turned off slightly by how Metro has changed in this iteration. And, yes, narratively speaking, I don't think having a silent MC is helping the story beats near as much as some. Edit: oh yeah, and Hardcore difficulty is no joke, and it did rob me of some fun I believe I could have otherwise had in particularly difficult segments of the game (lots of 1 shots, and unfair ones at that)

All that aside, this is a gorgeous, intense, well-paced, expansive, scary, technical powerhouse of a fucking videogame, and when it hits Steam you should all buy it if you're waiting. I haven't been this impressed with a survival horror game since The Last of Us. In fact, I would welcome it into my list of "mostly perfect games" (Bloodborne, Resident Evil 4, TLoU, a few others)
God I'm so excited to finish work and sink into it. Sounds so far up my street it's ridiculous

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had to restart the Caspian sea chapter because I'm pretty sure it got bugged. I'm not really mad cause I'm in much better shape supply wise than I was the first time lol

I did what I normally do in open world games and went the opposite direction from the mission marker. Hit up the small base on the far east side of the map then headed back towards the Aurora. Got to a huge tower with a sniper. After clearing that section out. I got a call moving the mission marker to a lighthouse. I went to the original mission marker and there was just nothing there at all. No loot no enemies. So I looked up online what was supposed to happen and... Yeah no car restart. Now I'm just road killing all those mutants I was wasting valuable shotgun shells on

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
God I'm so excited to finish work and sink into it. Sounds so far up my street it's ridiculous
I suspect that the lesser quality of the console experience is hurting the reception more than any gameplay factors.

Personally, on PC, it's my favorite Metro, but I wasn't a big fan of the environment variety and more linear world of the first games.

Uh oh, I have a X1X, are there lot of bugs?

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on Ranger Hardcore Full Dive and need a little help. Weapon spoiler but nothing major.

How do you change to the incendiary ammo on the crossbow on PC, I've tried every button I can think of.
Hold tab and press r.

I have a weird bug where combat music is constantly playing. I think that's stopping
the real Baron
from talking to me. I've tried sleeping and reloading and nothing stops it.

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
if performance is similar to PS4P then you'll get 30FPS most of the time and it'll be a looker.

But bug wise? Yeah it sounds pretty bad. From crashes to losing progress and stuff.

edit: don't take my word as gospel, basing this on what i've read here. I'm on PC and haven't played yet
FWIW, I had two hard locks in the first hour of the game but none since and I'm ~7 hours in. It's been pretty smooth for me, both in the performance and bug departments following that.

Also the Terminal mission in Volga was goddamn terrifying.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
So I've been really starting to love the game until right now. I'm trying to get on to a boat undetected. I'm told to "wait until they leave", but they can't leave because a laundry basket has made its way onto the ramp and they won't pass it. Once they glitched through it but I can't get beyond it without jumping over it which alerts them. Ugh!

edit: Found an alternate path. Woohoo!

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
So I've been really starting to love the game until right now. I'm trying to get on to a boat undetected. I'm told to "wait until they leave", but they can't leave because a laundry basket has made its way onto the ramp and they won't pass it. Once they glitched through it but I can't get beyond it without jumping over it which alerts them. Ugh!

edit: Found an alternate path. Woohoo!
LMAO

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Lol, except for the glitches and control issues, this game is the shit. It's beautiful in HDR and really fun stealth.
It's been a blast for me as well. I really wish I had known in advance that the main quest takes you all over the maps. So exploring areas before the main quest takes you there is not really advised.
Other than that, loving it.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
The opening cutscene was great, but the second I could move Artyom I cracked up laughing. The controls feel so shitty. How can you ship a game like this? Some tinkering with the options helped, but damn, this seems like it will be a complete slog to play. I don't remember Last Light feeling so awful.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how is the karma system this time around, if its still there? I remember loving to play the other two Metro Games as non-lethal as possible. Made those firefights you either had to engage or fucked up on way more powerful.

Jan 15, 2018
So how is the karma system this time around, if its still there? I remember loving to play the other two Metro Games as non-lethal as possible. Made those firefights you either had to engage or fucked up on way more powerful.

You can kill bandits without any negative karma, and even receive positive karma for wiping their bases. There are groups of characters who you're not supposed to kill, or at least not kill too many of, but the game makes it pretty clear through dialogue.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
100% get.

iYJXlcF.jpg

Almost felt like I was playing a different game from everyone else because the game was almost flawless for me through 2 playthroughs. Just took like an hour to get used to the slow controls. Then I fell through the floor at the end of my 2nd playthrough. I did not experience 1 crash through 2 playthroughs that people claim plague the x version.
I'm really really enjoying it so far myself, and I was kind of lukewarm on the first two games. I've had a few crashes but I think that's been attributed to a slightly too aggressive overclock.

RzrManifest

Banned
Feb 20, 2019
I loved STALKER and the first two Metro games. Can anyone with STALKER experience chime in on if it scratches a similar itch?

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I loved STALKER and the first two Metro games. Can anyone with STALKER experience chime in on if it scratches a similar itch?
Shadow of Chernobyl is one of my favorite games of all time and in my opinion this definitely nails the exploration and environment. You don't travel back and forth through the maps like stalker but so far out of the first two maps there's a lot to see and do.

I found a 6x scope for the tihar.
I found it too finally
If anyone else is interested it's in
There's a large crane in the middle of the Caspian Sea map with a bandit camp and a sniper. The sniper has one and also at the top of the crane in another

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Man, this sucks.

I just had Duke die. I stealthily did the whole boat and bridge part, didn't kill the random fanatics I encountered, got the bear and guitar and he STILL died. I can only think it's because of the people I killed in the train station. I encountered it randomly and they shot at me. Now I want to restart the game.

RzrManifest

Banned
Feb 20, 2019
Shadow of Chernobyl is one of my favorite games of all time and in my opinion this definitely nails the exploration and environment. You don't travel back and forth through the maps like stalker but so far out of the first two maps there's a lot to see and do.

Nice. I don't want to support Epic's shady tactics, but I still want to get through this game while it's fresh

Oct 27, 2017
England
What difficulty are people playing on? Hardcore feels great except I don't really like getting one shotted this much. If normals too easy I think I'll stick it out though...

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Man, this sucks.

I just had Duke die. I stealthily did the whole boat and bridge part, didn't kill the random fanatics I encountered, got the bear and guitar and he STILL died. I can only think it's because of the people I killed in the train station. I encountered it randomly and they shot at me. Now I want to restart the game.

for duke I think you just aren't supposed to kill any of the cultists. You can either stealth it or knock them out. And yeah I would just restart or load a save if I were you. This alone has locked you out of the good ending I think

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
for duke I think you just aren't supposed to kill any of the cultists. You can either stealth it or knock them out. And yeah I would just restart or load a save if I were you. This alone has locked you out of the good ending I think

I restarted from Volga chapter. I don't think anything before that matters. I'll make sure not to make that mistake again. Feels bad man.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
What difficulty are people playing on? Hardcore feels great except I don't really like getting one shotted this much. If normals too easy I think I'll stick it out though...

Normal has been perfect for me. Difficult enough. I die now and then and also run out of supplies often. Ignore all the elitist crap about what is the best way to play the game. It's different for everyone.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Playing on Ranger hardcore. Don't think I've ever been one shotted, only 2 shotted. And Enemies usually die in 1-2 shots as well. The supposed limited ammo/workbenches haven't been an issue for me. Sometimes I run low on a certain ammo, but then I just switch guns at the train to a gun that has a ton of ammo since I haven't been using it. Knives are very strong too and you can pick them up after using them.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
How much does the game reference the previous two games?

I have them all for ps4, but was waiting for at least one patch on Exodus before I really started it.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Man, this sucks.

It's not that. I massacred everyone at the Train Station, no issues. You'll hear the "bad karma" sound effect if you kill someone you shouldn't.

3 criteria for what you're looking for:

You have to not kill anyone & stealth out of the church, same thing for the tug boat & bridge part

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
It's not that. I massacred everyone at the Train Station, no issues. You'll hear the "bad karma" sound effect if you kill someone you shouldn't.

3 criteria for what you're looking for:

You have to not kill anyone & stealth out of the church, same thing for the tug boat & bridge part

I killed exactly one person at the first spot you mentioned. What's funny is my companions all said I handled it quietly so I thought I did good.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Volga, and I'm still not completely sold on the open levels yet. Right now I'm still missing the tight, linear levels from the previous games, but that can change the more I play.

However, I am enjoying my time with the game, some parts can get frustrating but I'm interested in the story and the overall journey for these characters. Also helps that this game is still very immersive, one of my favorite things about the series.

Duke survived for me, I was able to stealth through the church and the bridge, but had to go to a firefight for the tug boat.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Curious if anyone's had this happen on PC - I'm using a Corsair K70 LUX keyboard, and the lighting integration is neat for the game (the keyboard colors / responds to input choices and ambient light / environment) but my volume control stopped working while in the game. Anyone found a way around this?

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Take back what i said in this thread about the game. It's really good, and once you get past the eurojank, it has some fantastic settings and beautiful graphics. The ending almost made me tear up.

madspooky

Oct 28, 2017
Fort Kent, ME
Picked this up to kill some time waiting for Division 2. I haven't ever finished the first two games but played a bit of each of them.

Would it be worthwhile for me to go back and finish 2033 and Last Light?

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
My question is more related to if it's worth doing so for the story, or if I really won't miss anything by skipping to this one and powering through it for a month. I also own both games already (non-Redux), so assume I won't be paying for those versions of the game.
I jumped in this one without playing the other two, and have felt like I could understand the party dynamics from the get go. I did watch a 15 minute rundown of the story so far beforehand, though i feel like the events in that haven't mattered much since you leave the metro first thing in this game. There was an important story line in the previous two games that might show up in this game, and if that is the case then knowing that story line will be pretty important I would imagine.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
My question is more related to if it's worth doing so for the story, or if I really won't miss anything by skipping to this one and powering through it for a month. I also own both games already (non-Redux), so assume I won't be paying for those versions of the game.

You should get a discount for the redux versions (2033 is worth it for the redux) if you really want. The stories do happen in chronological order, but so far it feels like you can play any of them and be fine as it doesn't seem to lean heavy into prior knowledge.

I recommend playing them though.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed on twitter today that both 4A and the metro account have mentioned that a patch is in the works! So that's good

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
after playing 3 games in the series and the build up to finding what that habitable area of the world is im disappointed that we didn't actually get to see it or the crew radio back to Moscow but instead spend the last level of the game wondering through another dead city and a smaller subway system. does anyone else feel that way? i expected more

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Can I safely kill bandits without fucking up my ending?

Also is there still a flash on the screen if you do a good action? I killed nobody at the church this time and got a bright flash as soon as I got on the boat.

Last edited: