• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
My issue with the game isn't the broken controls, crashes and general lack of polish.

It's how the game has almost totally lost its identity.

Hub 1 felt like Metro/STALKER.

Hub 2 felt like RAGE.

Hub 3 feels like Far Cry.

It's just... another open(ish) world shooter now.

Take the game out of the metro, out of the dark, out of the cold and you lose so much of what makes it.

Unless hub 4 is mind blowing this is big contender for disappointment of the year already.

this's been my #1 concern about the game since the first reveal. it's the claustrophobic atmosphere of the other 2 games that characterized & differentiated the series, & completely sold me on it. oh, well - i'll be finding out for myself soon enough :) ...

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Still up in the air on this game. Tried to refund it initially but it didn't go through. So now I'm trying to get through it and just got to the Caspian Sea last night.

I don't really like the open world. It kind of kills the pacing and so far it's frankly just not fun to explore. Want to explore these ruins over there? Cool here's a bunch of mutants and like ten chems/supplies for your trouble. It just feels so generic and it doesn't help that enemies pop in and out or glitch into walls all the time. Saw a bandit patrolling in the air at one point.

The level before the Caspian Sea should have channeled Last Light or 2033 but instead
it just devolved into a run and gun section against the same three models of cannibal reused a few dozen times. The whole premise was terrible too how Miller, Artyom, and Anna fall into such an OBVIOUS trap.

Last Light was such a wonderful focused experience that was well-paced with a clear enemy and objective... this is just the opposite in every way.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody who's finished the game, could you please give me a sense for how many hours I have left? I've got the day off today so I'm wondering if I can realistically wrap it up.

In the Summer/Taiga area, just went through the first big tree fort and got my backpack and night vision goggles back. Just took the zipline over to the little river, and looked up and saw the bear cross over a little bridge.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Anybody who's finished the game, could you please tell me how many hours I have left? I've got the day off today so I'm wondering if I can realistically wrap it up.

In the Summer/Taiga area, just went through the first big tree fort and got my backpack and night vision goggles back. Just took the zipline over to the little river, and looked up and saw the bear cross over a little bridge.

Around 3-4h, I'd say.

I don't see why people are calling this just another open world game. This feels so different from FarCry, Horizon, etc. I think the pacing is great and the bits of exploration fit the narrative.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
One friendly advice: If you miss collectibles after beating a chapter don't worry. Collectibles carry over if you start a new game or select a chapter. I appreciate it since this didn't happen in Last Light and 2033 Redux, where diary pages were restarted.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
I would love to see this proof of a full second delay. I really would.
Guys, it's not a full second, don't be ridiculous. And if it is, than like I said: your controller, console or TV is broken. A full second delay is unplayable, literally. I'm almost at the end of the first open area and I'm having a blast. I sure as hell wouldn't be here if the controls had a second delay.

Show me one of those videos please.

I never said it was literally a full second, but it gets close to it at the worst of times.
This isn't my video and I want to add again that this delay is for button presses as well, not just the joysticks. I've played this on PC with a controller and the delay is non-existent. And, again, it isn't my setup. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop trying to dismiss it.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I havent tried it with the Tihar (I kinda hate that gun) but the 4x scope can only be attached to one of the weapons at a time. So if you are using it somewhere else, you have to unequip it then equip it to the gun you want to use.
it seems like some are gun specific. It won't take the 4x I have for the AK (it's unattached) likewise the AK can't take the closed reflex sight on my Ashot

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I never said it was literally a full second, but it gets close to it at the worst of times.
This isn't my video and I want to add again that this delay is for button presses as well, not just the joysticks. I've played this on PC with a controller and the delay is non-existent. And, again, it isn't my setup. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop trying to dismiss it.

it definitely isn´t so slow here...maybe there is additional input lag on the TV in this video but i swear i don´t have this extreme input lag. i am using preset 2 and all sliders on max sensitivity

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this game downright broken on Xbox on X ? Most of the time I am stuck on main Screen and my controllers have 0 response. I can press the home button on my controller go back Home and my controller works just fine. But inside the game I am forever stuck on press A to continue or on main Menu with 0 controller response.

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else notice that there is also a weird "momentum" movement right after you vault over something or climb off a ladder? Like if you are holding left or right as soon as you gain control again, you kind of "swing" in that direction for a bit.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Man as I much had some decently good moments in this game, Jim Sterling's scathing review/impressions video is spot on in my eyes. And maybe that is part of my expecations going in but yeah, this game has some issues. But holy mother of pearl the environments and atmosphere of each setting is top shelf quality...

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else noticed some sloppy engine culling behavior (on PS4 Pro or any other console)? I noticed this game's engine has a very nasty tendency to quickly fade in/out geometry simply when rotating the camera, i.e. it's culling/showing stuff way too aggressively. Or is it my console borking up?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Maybe he should try setting his TV on game mode eh..?

This is my video:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Anyone else noticed some sloppy engine culling behavior (on PS4 Pro or any other console)? I noticed this game's engine has a very nasty tendency to quickly fade in/out geometry simply when rotating the camera, i.e. it's culling/showing stuff way too aggressively. Or is it my console borking up?

yeah, i also noticed that in the Volga hub at most so far, was somewhat irritating when sneaking through those structures while looking left or right

and in the approach to Jamantau i looked at the clouds on the upper left side when standing in the front of the train, i looked away and back to the clouds and the whole sky was pixelated for good 20seconds before the skybox came in again..

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
hub 2 done.

what a fantastic game. the open world exploration is so well done and motivating and the main missions that take place inside it are really well done, unlike far cry for instance where the main missions don't feel much different from taking out camps. the transitions between the hubs are great, too, the characters feel real and interesting and it's a rare thing that I am actually interested in a shooter where the story is going. hub 3 looks really good, too.

easily the best shooter since doom2016 for me, even if it's wildly different.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm totally hooked right now. I don't know if it's just that I got used to it or that preset 2 actually reduces inputlag, but I'm digging the controls a little better now. Feels just like the previous games. You just need to be very careful.

The sandstorms man, pitch dark.

Last edited:

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
3 crashes in the span of 15 minutes on my Xbox One X, 2 with the train scene at the start and 1 during the opening level of the next level.
:(

calder

Oct 25, 2017
The bear fight is absolute fucking garbage. Been trying for half an hour now.

Load, try to get the fucker to do anything, die, reload. I spend far more on the loading screen this is a joke.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain

Load, try to get the fucker to do anything, die, reload. I spend far more on the loading screen this is a joke.

I only had to retry it once (first encounter). Hardcore difficulty. Get ready when he's going to ram you and sprint to a side. I only used the Helsing to bring him down.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game. Oh my God was that an amazing experience. However, I believe this needed some more time in the oven to iron out some obvious bugs and glitches. Still an amazing game though. Loved every second of it. Going to give it a few more weeks for patches to come in before I do my Ranger Hardcore playthrough.

What guns do you have? I went in with the shotgun and the pistol (long barrel) and I was fine. I DID face some annoyances were I would get caught on some random piece of debris while running away though.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, this game, and the video from Digital Foundry (thanks Dictator !) got me to purchase an RTX 2080. There have been several times as a PC gamer that I've run out and purchased hardware for a single game, and this is one of those times. Beside being a masterpiece of atmospheric dread, it's bringing me back to some of my all-time favorite games, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. With the game settings all on max at 1440p, I keep getting wowed by what I am seeing. Here's a screen cap from one of those times:
i55a8h.jpg

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Only just got this on PS4. Gonna echoes the other console players here that the technicals issues here are pretty bad. I have well over 100 games on my PS4 and I've never played something with controls quite this horrific.

There seems to be a purposeful artificial lag, added on top of actual lag, added on top of extremely slow animations added ontop of sluggish controls added on top of ludicrous deadline and environmental clipping. The "hold square" prompts genuinely take a full second before anything actually happens like something as simple as opening a door.

Something as well, in partiuclar annoyance to me, is that characters go deadly quiet when talking but your camera isn't centered over them. This is bad enough in gameplay but quickly infuriating in cutscenes were you have no control over Artyoms head. Anna goes from no sound to full volume everyone your head bobs left and right.

It's too bad really as the game is actually pretty good otherwise and I loved the last two.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Maybe he should try setting his TV on game mode eh..?

This is my video:

I tried it with mine, still has the same issue in game mode.
I just hooked up my Pro to a regular TV and the input lag is gone. Hooking it back up to my 4K TV and the issue is back.
The game's main menu and pause menu, the PS4 dashboard, and other games are still perfectly responsive though. It's only in-game that the issue is there.
Could it be the game rendering at 4K and having a hard time with performance?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How does getting new weapons work? I came across a new weapon while exploring but in order to get it I had to drop my other one, will I still have that weapon at the train or do you lose them when you drop them for another one?

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well, this game, and the video from Digital Foundry (thanks Dictator !) got me to purchase an RTX 2080. There have been several times as a PC gamer that I've run out and purchased hardware for a single game, and this is one of those times. Beside being a masterpiece of atmospheric dread, it's bringing me back to some of my all-time favorite games, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. With the game settings all on max at 1440p, I keep getting wowed by what I am seeing. Here's a screen cap from one of those times:
i55a8h.jpg
I know. I know GSC Game World has sorta "announced" S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 but I don't really trust them, as none of the original people are there anymore.

This game though makes me want a proper game set in that universe though on a modern engine like this. Wish 4A could get the rights to the IP.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Accidentally changed it to morning instead of night when sleeping in a bed and I made the mission 5 times harder ugh. Checkpointed right after and you can only use them once apparently

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Finished.
Its a tough one, I think I preferred Last Light. As much as I enjoyed the open hubs (specially the first one), it just didint do it for me. And I feel like the story may have taken a bit of hit because of it. Everything else is great, love modding the guns on the fly and finding new parts. Its a shame the gunplay feels shoddy when aiming down the sights. I felt like I missed a lot of headshots that I shouldn't have missed. Also got constant crashes on XB1X, which sucked, specially since I got like 3 of them during the last mission, which kinda ruined the momentum. Its a solid 8/10.

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently in Dead City and
did I miss getting my night vision goggles back after losing them in Taiga? How do I get them back?

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Generally speaking how are the female characters in this game? I've heard not great things (basically, a bad case of Damsel in Distress) which isn't very reassuring.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
Generally speaking how are the female characters in this game?
Haven't completed the game yet but they're much better than in 2033 or Last Light. Anna is smart, strong, independent, cool and endearing - their relationship is really nice in this one. I guess I can see the part in the story where one could see the damsel in distress trope in regard to another character coming up but I don't think the description is fitting this case all that much.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying so hard to like this, but I can't deal with these controls. They're so much worse than Last Light and 2033. It's such a beautiful game, but I can't shoot anything. Give me low resources and tough enemies, but fighting controls I can't deal. I feel like I'm starting to whine so I'm not going to post anymore about this until they hopefully patch it.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Had some really intense bandit camp fights today, hell even getting there can be stressful. That plus the relief of finding a safe house makes the open areas so unsettling.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Generally speaking how are the female characters in this game? I've heard not great things (basically, a bad case of Damsel in Distress) which isn't very reassuring.

Anna's good for the first few areas but she is eventually sidelined for a rather boilerplate father-figure story. The secondary female characters felt a little flat and are just kind of along for the ride after the first area. Not the best, but far from the worst.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Again the audio mix is terrible, it takes me out of the immersion.

Why on earth there is echo in a small, brick walled, furnished room with the windows open? whhyyyyyyyyyyy?! Why does it sound like they are inside a large empty tin can?!

Why I can hear a guy talking that is 20m away as if he were next to me?! Why a freaking monster that is chewing me is quieter than a sleeping cat?!!!!!!!!!

I have tired using several DACs and headphones and the results are the same.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So after I finished Volga I stopped getting alerts (Geiger counter, air level, battery meter) alerts through the ps4 controller. Anyone else have this?

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game has one of most clunkiest movement and control I have ever seen on a modern video game. I don't know how is it on PC but on xbox aiming and moving feels horrible. I don't remember it was being this bad when I played and beat both the previous games on ps4.