• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EasyCompany

Jan 28, 2018
I think I encountered a game breaking bug.

I had finished up

getting the extra train car out of the terminal and to the warehouse in Volga

and was heading back to the Aurora (per my mission) for the first time probably since I last needed to go there. I expected to be welcomed with open arms aaaaannnd no characters acknowledge me. Most just stood around the campfire. Miller was in train starring out the window. I went all through the train to try to trigger that I was back and nothing happened. I tried to shoot the crew, nothing registered.

I quit out of the game and tried again, and during the loading it provided the loading journal dialog indicating I was in the same place, mission wise, as I would expect. When I got the Aurora, same deal, no acknowledgement.

I'm doing a hard restart of the console now, and if that doesn't work I guess I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling. Going to be extremely disappointed if my campaign is ruined.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
So fighting at night seems to be the way to go, but I can't see jack!! Takes too long to complete areas because half the time I'm just fumbling around. It shouldn't be so dark for the player.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Who makes a game with one save slot in 2019? I think I have to replay the entire Capsian chapter again because Giul disappeared and isn't there to open the grate to the oil terminal. Every save or checkpoint is after she glitched out and I'm going to lose like 4-5 hours to restart the chapter. I cleared the entire map and the game breaks on what I am assuming is the last mission in the chapter...

Such a great game marred by awful technical issues. I can live with 5 or 6 crashes, but not losing 5 or 6 hours of progress. I don't want to give up on the game but don't have confidence something like that won't happen again. Biggest disappointment of the year so far...

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Who makes a game with one save slot in 2019? I think I have to replay the entire Capsian chapter again because Giul disappeared and isn't there to open the grate to the oil terminal. Every save or checkpoint is after she glitched out and I'm going to lose like 4-5 hours to restart the chapter. I cleared the entire map and the game breaks on what I am assuming is the last mission in the chapter...

Such a great game marred by awful technical issues. I can live with 5 or 6 crashes, but not losing 5 or 6 hours of progress. I don't want to give up on the game but don't have confidence something like that won't happen again. Biggest disappointment of the year so far...

Yeah I don't get the one save slot thing, unless I missed it in the main menu it doesn't have the same chapter loading LL had. It's like so much for re-exploring prior hubs by save game if I want to. Needing to start completely over again to do so is a bit much.

I'm in the Forest hub now, certainly an improvement over Caspian Sea in terms of atmosphere but as many others have said it feels way too much like a completely different sort of shooter. This game really has an identity problem, I think 4A needed a bit more time in pre-production to determine a better way to incorporate the fundamentals of the series' strengths throughout each hub world. Doing new things is fine as long as things feel cohesive and they don't here, a lot of scattershot ideas thrown at the board wrt the disparate hub designs. Also while it was inevitable going wide linear I was surprised just how little horror elements seem to have been taken out outside of some scant brief moments in Moscow and the second hub (ghoul intro). Yet another gripe...WAY too many of these shaky in-perspective cutscenes that jerk away control for the cinematic moments. Some of them are pretty cool but I feel Valve has the right idea behind giving the player the vast majority of at least camera control during scripted moments. They could've still done a lot of the creature moments without needing to toss your ass overboard or get momentarily grabbed by a monster. It comes across as a slightly less worse version of a jump scare.

On another note I don't really get the Stalker comparisons outside the most superficial surface similarities, mainly environmental themes. The actual content, exploration, and entity interaction within these environments is pretty different from Stalker. It reminds me a lot more of Fallout than anything. There are some moments that can pop up that recall some of the dynamism in enemy interaction, such as some ghouls attacking a group of bandits, though the latter group are almost always confined to predefined base "zones" and they rarely wander outside their set perimeter, something which was a cornerstone of Stalker's A-Life ecosystem. You aren't quite sure where you're going to encounter what in the latter, which was part of the tension and more organic exploration. Speaking of I reinstalled Shadows of Chernobyl as well for the umpteenth time and it really is night and day how much more bleak and hopeless the world and atmosphere feel. Almost every encounter is tense as hell, and combat feels like it has more weight and impact to it, which is strange due to how Exodus gets certain things right in that department such as the satisfying oomph of gun sounds. I believe it's that input delay that gives you a subtle feeling of disconnect from your actions, and of course the combat encounters themselves tend to feel more like shooting galleries or almost a wave shooter. It just feels hollow.

I really wasn't expecting such a big departure in feel from the older titles but here we are. We obviously knew that going in with the overarching train journey, but outside of a few moments I've pretty much nailed how it's removed a lot of the tension is just how crowded your damn earpiece is with the voices of your squad throughout the experience. You simply don't feel alone enough, and it's that lack of isolation and horror through solitude while exploring these vast, hostile landscapes that removes a lot of the suspension of disbelief related to there ever being any real stakes in terms of your survival. You just know things are gonna work out on a mission by mission basis what with you being relatively close by to a comrade at almost all times. Too many missions have you with a companion, and yes while this occurred in the older games you were often left alone for long stretches without seeing OR hearing from another friendly. It also doesn't help that the story beats in each hub follow the same formula of "go here collect x resource come back to the train get the next resource okay now take out the final boss lair". It feels way too gamey basically for a series known to not revel in those tropes.

I've been harping mostly negative and that's just due to expecting this to be more in line with their older design ethos, I expected certain changes certainly with this larger shift to wide linear but I do think they dumbed a lot of the core DNA of the series down and made this feel entirely more like a typical Western open world-ish shooter than anything coming out of Eastern Europe. It just feels strange seeing this of all titles coming from 4A.

I'll leave on a positive note to not be such a downer lol...one of the more spellbinding sights I saw last night while playing (forest hub spoilers):
Seeing the large packs of wild wolves running across the forest in the moonlight reminded me heavily of the atmosphere during the carriage scene in Bram Stroker's Dracula (yes the goofy Coppola one) as Keanu is being transported to the castle and spies the wolves running alongside the carriage. Impressively evocative imagery for something not done during a cutscene. That of course on top of the mutant bear that comes crashing into the scene. Bravo on that one 4A.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I tried it with mine, still has the same issue in game mode.
I just hooked up my Pro to a regular TV and the input lag is gone. Hooking it back up to my 4K TV and the issue is back.
The game's main menu and pause menu, the PS4 dashboard, and other games are still perfectly responsive though. It's only in-game that the issue is there.
Could it be the game rendering at 4K and having a hard time with performance?

So you have more lag than in my video? I dunno, try setting your console on 1080p and see what happens?

I got the 4x4 scope, but I can only put it on my Kalash. Its that normal? I want to put it on my sniper/Tikhar. It do those use another scope that I can find in the second hub?

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017

I had finished up

and was heading back to the Aurora (per my mission) for the first time probably since I last needed to go there. I expected to be welcomed with open arms aaaaannnd no characters acknowledge me. Most just stood around the campfire. Miller was in train starring out the window. I went all through the train to try to trigger that I was back and nothing happened. I tried to shoot the crew, nothing registered.

I quit out of the game and tried again, and during the loading it provided the loading journal dialog indicating I was in the same place, mission wise, as I would expect. When I got the Aurora, same deal, no acknowledgement.

I'm doing a hard restart of the console now, and if that doesn't work I guess I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling. Going to be extremely disappointed if my campaign is ruined.

Dude I did the same thing, and it's not a bug. Turns out you have to bring the extra train car back to the others haha.

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
What a weird thing.
Is that a reference to some movie or something? Just feels like a super weird thing to put into the world
I didn't hit him and he spoke at length about how he was waiting for Saul for some reason and how Giul will usurp the leadership role or some shit and he'll show himself after she ruins everything. He also criticized my freeing of slaves.

I think there was more he was going to say but I ended my session there, mid-monologue.

Oct 31, 2017
La La Land
Minor annoyance:

After reading about a.. well "hint" i decided to start Metro over (this is the same thing when I first played Bioshock and harvested a Little Sister cause I didn't understand and spent half the game feeling bad before starting over. Although in Bioshock 2 I was a monster my 2nd go-round cause Elizabeths' "Muwahahahaha >:-]" ending was kinda of hilarious) and I was trying to save that one villiger who was trapped by thr Bandits in the tower with the guitar. But I noticed that after getting like 30 yards - no joke - they straight up shot him before I could even come within view. First go around was a piece of cake but even after restarting the save right before - making sure it was night and I was out of sight - every single time I got within yards (not close enough to even render the motherfuckers) they kept shooting him before I even had a chance to rescue him.

Might just ride the rest of the game with his death in tow. Literally aint nothing I could have done short of starting the whole shit over yet again.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit bummed on this game so far. It feels terrible to play, worse than I remember the first two games (which I beat twice each) playing. There are lots of strange sound issues too, it doesn't feel finished. I'll play it some more but yikes.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
How long is Autumn in comparison to the other chapters? Or well, the level after the train ride.

I'm genuinely surprised how much spoilery stuff people want to know.

1. How many hubs are there?
  2. How long is autumn compared to other chapters?
  3. I'm here and here, how long until the end?
  4. Are there Dark Ones in the game?
  5. How many endings are there?
Why would you want to know this kind of stuff? Much more fun going into the game without al that knowledge, isn't it?

I'm also surprised how many bugs people are reporting. I'm having a very smooth experience on PS4 Pro. No issues with sound, except the footsteps sometimes, but it doesn't bother me at all. I have no issues with the controls (see my previous posted input lag video), yeah turning is slow, but that's Metro. I was picking of ghouls in the desert yesterday at quite a distance and without a scope. People probably forget Metro isn't about rushing in and making headshots like a CoD multiplayer. If you rush in, you're dead. You need to retreat and take cover. I have no problem with the framerate. Dips are probably to minor for me to notice.

Only things out of place that I have noticed, are enemy bodies sometimes behaving strangely and some strange texture flickering (very rare).

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I was going to go to bed but I'm playing through it lol.

And haven't had any major bugs on the pc either other than one time when the mutant fur went haywire and hundreds of strands went flying across the level which was kind of fun. Checkpoint reload fixed it.

Not playing with headphones or surround sound so can't speak on the apparently poor sound design but it's been pretty polished all around for me.

Edit: I stopped playing with headphones minutes after walking around so remove the apparently lol

Last edited:

Chasm of the Abyss

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
UK
Just finished the game. Oh my God was that an amazing experience. However, I believe this needed some more time in the oven to iron out some obvious bugs and glitches. Still an amazing game though. Loved every second of it. Going to give it a few more weeks for patches to come in before I do my Ranger Hardcore playthrough.

What guns do you have? I went in with the shotgun and the pistol (long barrel) and I was fine. I DID face some annoyances were I would get caught on some random piece of debris while running away though.
Wait you can fight the bear with guns? That entire level I only had the crossbow...

I beat him with like 15 arrows and two molotovs ha.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I was going to go to bed but I'm playing through it lol.

And haven't had any major bugs on the pc either other than one time when the mutant fur went haywire and hundreds of strands went flying across the level which was kind of fun. Checkpoint reload fixed it.

Not playing with headphones or surround sound so can't speak on the apparently poor sound design but it's been pretty polished all around for me.

Proper sound is at least half of this experience and really adds to the immersion, why wouldn't you play with headphones/surround sound?

Chasm of the Abyss

I've read the quote 3 times now, but where does he mention a bear? Also, can we put this kind of stuff in spoilers? Not everyone is there yet and not everyone saw all the trailers so not everyone knows there is a bear.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I'm playing through first time on Ranger Hardcore.......I fucked up...

Ammo is so fucking scarce and you get one shotted constantly. I'm making decent progress so I feel confident but wow I remember the other games being easier.

Anyone know if you can peak around cover like killzone? It looks like you should but it doesn't let you.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Footsteps were distracting with headphones and I live in an apartment with paper thin walls so surround sound is out of the question. Moving soon tho so definitely my next big investment.

And unfortunately you can't lean which feels really busted at times on ranger hardcore where taking half a step to the right to see if there's an enemy leaves you half a second to react before alerting them.

Morrowless

Oct 27, 2017
Is it true that Dolby Atmos has an inherent limitation with vertical positional sound? I can hear mutants 3 storeys below like they were next to me.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The sound mixing is terrible no matter what platform or hardware you have.

I have no issues with the sound. PS4 Pro with Platinum headset. Also fine when played through my Harman/Kardon 5.1 setup.

It's the second part of the quote... and the bear was in the E3 reveal...

Not sure if you even read what I said: not everyone saw the trailers. And surely not everyone wants to know what tactics are best for taking it out.

Chasm of the Abyss

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
UK
Not sure if you even read what I said: not everyone saw the trailers. And surely not everyone wants to know what tactics are best for taking it out.
Sorry but if something has been in the huge reveal and trailers I think it's fair game to discuss. If you choose not to watch them then you can choose not to read discussions.

And two other people mentioned the bear fight outside of spoiler tags first (rightly).

As for tactics, avoiding it and shooting it a lot is the most unspoilery thing ever.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

I had finished up

You use the extra train car to pull the train car in the warehouse back to the Volga.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I have no issues with the sound. PS4 Pro with Platinum headset. Also fine when played through my Harman/Kardon 5.1 setup.

You must be special because apparently you don't experience 90% of the complaints in this thread.

The sound is clearly not good, volume/dynamic range is all of over the place and there are literally times when there's no audio feedback at all for some things.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I never said it was literally a full second, but it gets close to it at the worst of times.
This isn't my video and I want to add again that this delay is for button presses as well, not just the joysticks. I've played this on PC with a controller and the delay is non-existent. And, again, it isn't my setup. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop trying to dismiss it.

Yikes, that is some terrible lag, definitely a gameplay killer.

Maybe he should try setting his TV on game mode eh..?

This is my video:

That is still very laggy and sluggish. Pretty much unplayable for me.

Have you played any other FPS on PS4? Forget about that, have you played Metro 2033 and Last Light on PS4?

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
I fell in love with this vehicle:

Bukhanka%20Passenger%20Van%20Exterior.jpg

A 4x4 off-road van which can fit 7 people AND a big trunk? Dude, the UAZ-452 "Bukhanka" is AWESOME. I wish I could buy one.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Sorry but if something has been in the huge reveal and trailers I think it's fair game to discuss. If you choose not to watch them then you can choose not to read discussions.

And two other people mentioned the bear fight outside of spoiler tags first (rightly).

As for tactics, avoiding it and shooting it a lot is the most unspoilery thing ever.

Or you and others can just put some stuff in spoiler tags. I don't see what's the big deal and what is so difficult about taking in consideration how other people experience the game. It's a little effort to use spoiler tags, but do as you like.

You must be special because apparently you don't experience 90% of the complaints in this thread.

The sound is clearly not good, volume/dynamic range is all of over the place and there are literally times when there's no audio feedback at all for some things.

Yup, guess I'm very lucky.

So, anyone able to answer this one?

I got the 4x4 scope, but I can only put it on my Kalash. Its that normal? I want to put it on my sniper/Tikhar. It do those use another scope that I can find in the second hub?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
This game has a lot of dialogues, everytime you do something and return to the train, every npc has something to say related with what you do, it's pretty good on this departement.
It kinda reminds me of rdr2 at times.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Hit detection is a huge problem with throwing knifes - they just sometimes go through enemies. Headshots with silenced pistols are also sometimes just not detected and hit the wall behind the enemy resulting in them detecting you. I began on Ranger Hardcore and lost 10 minutes of gameplay twice and it's just boring to do the same stuff again because of some flying demon randomly coming in - so I switched to regular hardcore.
So i'm not the only one with some hit detection problem, good to know.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Woot, full series completed on ranger hardcore. Really liked the last level but not hot about it as the ending to the game.

Didn't find a single postcard which is insane to me given how slowly I went through the game. Suppose without a hud/button prompt they blend into the environment?

Last edited:

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Woot, full series completed on ranger hardcore. Really liked the last level but not hot about it as the ending to the game.

Didn't find a single postcard which is insane to me given how slowly I went through the game. Suppose without a hud/button prompt they blend into the environment?

Yeah, they're pretty easy to miss. I only got 6 in my first playthrough on standard hardcore.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Got it. You find a 6x scope..

At the bandit camp on the Caspian map

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
...and it doesn't help that enemies pop in and out or glitch into walls all the time. Saw a bandit patrolling in the air at one point.

I'm liking the game (awful audio mixing aside), but this part is just ridiculous. Whatever those mutant human things are, a pack was chasing me and I literally had no ammo left, so I ran into a structure and closed a metal gate behind me to stop their advance. Was going to pop open my bookbag and see what I could craft to get out of it, when they just started clipping right through the gate and ended up killing me, lol. Really breaks immersion when shit like that happens.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
So I have a main mission marker and two question marks on my map. I had very little ammo. It's advisable to go check out the question marks now rather than see if I can gather resources during a main mission?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game even has strange input lag on PC. The lower FPS tank the stranger it gets: even pulling the trigger has a notable delay.

And yes the sound mixing isn't great.

That aside, the game is awesome so far.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I have a main mission marker and two question marks on my map. I had very little ammo. It's advisable to go check out the question marks now rather than see if I can gather resources during a main mission?

If it has humans in it, probably, since you can just knock them out and loot them with very little resource spend.

EasyCompany

Jan 28, 2018
Dude I did the same thing, and it's not a bug. Turns out you have to bring the extra train car back to the others haha.

Oh. My. God. Thank you so much! I had uninstalled/reinstalled the game and was convinced I'd have to start over. Glad I saw this before doing that and overwriting my save.

In my defense, it's be nice if the NPCs acknowledged you at base. This is weird:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Oh. My. God. Thank you so much! I had uninstalled/reinstalled the game and was convinced I'd have to start over. Glad I saw this before doing that and overwriting my save.

In my defense, it's be nice if the NPCs acknowledged you at base. This is weird:

Well they can't take everything into account. You could just check the back of your map for the objective. It literally says you need to take the traincart back to base: 'I should get it back to base ASAP'. ;-)

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those character interactions in the train (after the winter Level). That's some fine stuff, old mass effect levels of story telling!

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how the FUCK do you kill the bear ? 30 shotgun ammo 20 pistol and 20 arrows and the fucker just doesnt die

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I started the game yesterday on 1X and wow, this feels fucking horrible. What happened?? Everything is so slooooow from the movement to the aiming, to picking stuff up... Ugh. Should've gone with PC