• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
So as someone that has never played a game in this series should I start from the beginning or skip to Exodus?
I would start at the beginning with the Metro Redux bundle. Not done with Exodus yet, but right now I still prefer them in terms of atmosphere and story. For me gameplay is a bit better in Exodus, especially the handling of the guns.
The first Metros are also still decent looking games and you can get them really cheap.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Playing all the games is important if you want to understand the universe, story, and characters. They're also all excellent games.
I'd recommend playing the other two before Exodus, just so you understand the world, story and characters better.

2033 and Last Light are both good, and they're not terribly long games either.
The Redux of the first two are cheap and you should play those while Exodus gets more patches.
You can get Redux for as low as $10 these days. I would play that while Exodus gets patched up in the meantime. With two games, it can easily last you a good while.
Thanks all! I liked how Exodus looked so I was going to just jump straight in, but I noticed that I think the first two are on game pass (or if not they're on sale all the time) so I'll just go for them first.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
After have fully finishing the game and thinking about it for a few days, I'm pretty disappointed with it overall. I've a lot of issues and not too sure what way to convey them, so I'll do it via bulletpoints.

• For s story heavy game, there really isn't that much of an overarching narrative apart from you are looking for a new home. And that is paper thin at best.
  • A lot of the time it feels like you're doing fetch quests and nothing more.
  • They got away with it in the first two games, but the silent protagonist again is absolutely awful from start to finish. It constantly ruins moments in the game that has something going for them. It never feels like you're having a proper conversation with someone, or that you're interacting with the world. You're constantly reminded that you are some silent nobody that will do anything upon request.
  • The relationship between Artyom and Anna feels nonexistent. They try numerous times to have emotional scenes but they fall to pieces with our character barely reacts to anything.
  • I'm not a fan of the larger levels and having to traverse the land. It becomes even more annoying in the second area in the desert, despite having a car too.
  • Enemy AI is really wonky. Sometimes they can literally see through multiple walls and kill you. While other times you can walk right by them without an issue. Really can take you out of the game.
  • The best part of the game is the final mission/area, and it really lives up to it for sure. I wanted more of that.
All in all, it's pretty disappointing alone from a story standpoint and I feel like its wasted potential.

Affirmative...

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Just throwing my hat into the ring to say the hotfix definitely improved aiming/movement on PS4 Pro.
I'm using preset 2 with sensitivity at 3/4 and the other three around halfway mark.

Aiming feels much more responsive overall during my session last night.
Edit: Can't believe I tried to take on the
mutant bear for 20mins in Taiga instead of making the escape with the ladder lol

mcwizardry

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on PS4 Pro. 40+ hours into the game and pretty much near the end and will wrap it up tonight. Outside of somewhat long loading times despite having a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD and some one or two second "pauses" in the Caspian region, the only major issue that I have had is that it seems like the hit box for enemies is off because I will shoot point blank range and the shots don't register. Other than that, no real issues at all. Metro Exodus is as of right now, an easy 9.0/10 with the slim possibility of it being a 9.5/10 depending on how these last few hours plays out.

Simply, an excellent game from an excellent development studio in 4A Games.

I noticed the hit box problems too. Once the enemies are very close the hits don't register at all, this is especially noticeable on the Yamantau level.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Not impressed with this game on PS4 pro.

Long load times
Ugly textures
Frame rate issues
Keep playing. Overall along with RDR2 this is the best looking game on the
Pro imo, yes it has long loading times and an ugly texture here and there, but at the end it looks phenomenal.
This game just doesn't feel as creepy or have as much atmosphere as the other two games. I feel pretty safe all the time and it's missing that sense of existential horror the other games, especially 2033, nailed. Something like being on the surface fet extremet alien and hostile and in exodus it feels pretty pedestrian. I think the "twist" at the beginning of the game kind of takes a lot of wind out of the narrative's sails too.

Also, the mutants are fucking lame as hell. Does this game just completely forgo the supernatural aspects of the last 2?
I don't know where you are in the game, but i disagree with that sentiment.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I mean the game was always going to have a different atmosphere from the first two since they largely moved away from dark underground tunnels into literal open spaces. It is hard to argue with anyone there feels like Exodus lost some of the feeling it had in the originals though you can certainly still see glimpses of it.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I mean the game was always going to have a different atmosphere from the first two since they largely moved away from dark underground tunnels into literal open spaces. It is hard to argue with anyone there feels like Exodus lost some of the feeling it had in the originals though you can certainly still see glimpses of it.
Sections involving spiders for example are creepy as hell. It helps that spiders are incredibly well realised in Exodus, from behavior to animation and sounddesign.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Sections involving spiders for example are creepy as hell. It helps that spiders are incredibly well realised in Exodus, from behavior to animation and sounddesign.

Honestly that area that basically just pitch black half the time with endless amounts of spiders was pretty lame actually. Scary no doubt but in a cheap kind of way.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
You mean the one where light hurts them, you used light right?

Oddly I found a place above ground in that desert where I am having an issue with them.

Does the brighter light upgrade work better in getting the spider/scorpions flipped?

Morrowless

Oct 27, 2017
Last area was underwhelming... was hoping I'd get to explore the whole map, that would have been epic and very Stalker-y.

Patchy

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what this means.

I can only describe it as the traversal and moving around the map feels like his legs are chained together and he walks like a penguin. Short, fast footsteps and not moving very fast even when running.

1.03 has actually made things worse for me. I'm all for supporting companies like 4A but can't help but feel they've dropped the ball a little here, nowhere near as good as 2033 or Last Light and riddled with bugs.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I can only describe it as the traversal and moving around the map feels like his legs are chained together and he walks like a penguin. Short, fast footsteps and not moving very fast even when running.

1.03 has actually made things worse for me. I'm all for supporting companies like 4A but can't help but feel they've dropped the ball a little here, nowhere near as good as 2033 or Last Light and riddled with bugs.
There is supposed to be a bigger patch coming in a few days. Yesterday's was just a hotfix meant to address the controls.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Glad I don't recognize this. Running feels fast enough, knowing what Artyom is hauling with him. Holstering your weapon makes you even run faster. But this isn't a fast game. I move slowly 95% of the time.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
The patch did some wonders on PS4. The controls feel so much smoother and traversal is no longer a total pain in the ass. Shame I made it all the way to Taiga on the crappy pre-patched version.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The patch definitely made things feel different even under identical settings. My preset 2 settings still work well, and it seems that turning is quicker to respond. I adapted well enough to how the controls were before, but it's always welcome to get more responsiveness.

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I know there's a review thread, but this was just posted recently and it's a great, long-form review of the game - there are some spoilers in the review - but he discusses how this game is a callback to class single player FPS games - while also not shying away from its imperfections.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
This game screams to allow you to travel between areas. I really hope the next Metro game has a world that allows you to traverse it freely.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone figure out how to increase controller sensitivity on PC? It is still so fucking low even when maxed in ingame menu. I did try editing user file but the change gets overwritten by the game.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone figure out how to increase controller sensitivity on PC? It is still so fucking low even when maxed in ingame menu. I did try editing user file but the change gets overwritten by the game.

Its not possible. Even if you lock the config file as read only the game doesnt recognize values above whats in game.

I just got used to after a while

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Is there a fix/config edit on PC that removes the extremely annoying sprint limiter

How a trained military operator can't run more than 25m without getting out of breath and slowing to a crawl is beyond me

Probably the thing I dislike most about the game

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Keep playing. Overall along with RDR2 this is the best looking game on the
Pro imo, yes it has long loading times and an ugly texture here and there, but at the end it looks phenomenal.

I don't know where you are in the game, but i disagree with that sentiment.

I'm pretty far into the second area. A big part of it seems to be the overwhelming amount of resources the game gives you. I've never been strained for ammo or supplies.

Is there a fix/config edit on PC that removes the extremely annoying sprint limiter

How a trained military operator can't run more than 25m without getting out of breath and slowing to a crawl is beyond me

Probably the thing I dislike most about the game

That and dying from a 4 foot fall.

To be fair the game goes for a simmy take and I can attest that running in what is likely over a hundred pounds of gear (three firearms, medkits, tons of ammunition, hasn't mask, plate carriers with plates) is not something you can do for more than a dozen or so seconds.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
Wow the gunplay feels so much better with that fix. At least for me on X1X. Now I'm really contemplating whether I should wait for full patch to really dig in. I'm chomping st the bits...

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
I can't get over the weird aspect ratio on PC. I could fix the issue in previous Metro games to gave a correct aspect ratio by putting the resolution at 4096 × 2160 instead of 3840 × 2160 but in this game it does nothing.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
After have fully finishing the game and thinking about it for a few days, I'm pretty disappointed with it overall. I've a lot of issues and not too sure what way to convey them, so I'll do it via bulletpoints.

• For s story heavy game, there really isn't that much of an overarching narrative apart from you are looking for a new home. And that is paper thin at best.
  • A lot of the time it feels like you're doing fetch quests and nothing more.
  • They got away with it in the first two games, but the silent protagonist again is absolutely awful from start to finish. It constantly ruins moments in the game that has something going for them. It never feels like you're having a proper conversation with someone, or that you're interacting with the world. You're constantly reminded that you are some silent nobody that will do anything upon request.
  • The relationship between Artyom and Anna feels nonexistent. They try numerous times to have emotional scenes but they fall to pieces with our character barely reacts to anything.
  • I'm not a fan of the larger levels and having to traverse the land. It becomes even more annoying in the second area in the desert, despite having a car too.
  • Enemy AI is really wonky. Sometimes they can literally see through multiple walls and kill you. While other times you can walk right by them without an issue. Really can take you out of the game.
  • The best part of the game is the final mission/area, and it really lives up to it for sure. I wanted more of that.
All in all, it's pretty disappointing alone from a story standpoint and I feel like its wasted potential.

very well said, & summarizes why i'd bailed on the game by summer. afa the silent protagonist thing, i think it really helped that, in the first 2 games, artyom didn't have a posse, & so wasn't quite as obviously silent as he is in exodus...

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Finished it. Got the bad ending which gave me feels, the last level as a whole is amazingly well done, kudos to 4A.

In my opinion Metro Exodus is a flawed masterpiece and without a shadow of a doubt my favourite of the trilogy. The biggest flaw is the buggy AI of enemies and allies. There was no gambreaking bug fortunately, but i experienced several annoying AI glitches what took me out of the otherwise stellar immersion.
There are some other gripes such as some not so smooth animations, but i consider them not fundamental like the glitchy AI.

Exodus is a game that reminds me why i play videogames, a unique and beautiful journey. I'm looking forward to replay it on hardcore ranger rather sooner then later, since i missed quite a few things it seems.

It's a 9 out of 10 for me.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy I'm playing Rdr2 at the same time as this and went to the OT and that game had so much activity and this one doesn't. It's kind of crazy cause they are similar in their vision of immersiveness but one game gets crazy attention and accolades and this thread is barely moving. Weird how that works sometimes! After the fix I'm actually loving the gameplay here... it's a refreshing break from rdr2 where you actually have some intense fights.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
It's crazy I'm playing Rdr2 at the same time as this and went to the OT and that game had so much activity and this one doesn't. It's kind of crazy cause they are similar in their vision of immersiveness but one game gets crazy attention and accolades and this thread is barely moving. Weird how that works sometimes! After the fix I'm actually loving the gameplay here... it's a refreshing break from rdr2 where you actually have some intense fights.

How is that strange? Rdr2 is one of the most popular games ever made, metro has never been anywhere close as popular. There is more people right now playing rdr2 than the amount of people who have ever played a metro game.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
This game has sometimes AI with aimbots. I am in the sniper nest so either a dude with no scope hits me (and one shot kills me) through a 12cm or less hole. Other sniper shoots when I am behind a wall so when I move out it hits me lol...

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

The scope, production values, polish and characters in this game aren't even in the same stratosphere as RDR 2 so it's not surprise it didn't get as highly rated or have as many people playing. And that's before you factor in that it has the Rockstar pedigree behind it.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
How is that strange? Rdr2 is one of the most popular games ever made, metro has never been anywhere close as popular. There is more people right now playing rdr2 than the amount of people who have ever played a metro game.

Yea that's kind of my point. It's strange one franchise is wildly popular and one is not at all and they really aim for similiar things and have similiar frustrations. I know Exodus doesn't have near the production values and presentation, but RDR2 is less than Exodus in a lot of ways as well. What I'm saying is they are both not really casual games and kind of hard to get into, but one sells like gangbusters and the other is ignored even on a gaming enthusiast site like this.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
There are some universal improvements to the controls, and we also added a 3rd Sensitivity preset - if you're mid-game you will need to manually select this from Options > Controller > Sensitivity. We also addressed some bugs / issues, but are limited by what we can do with a 'Hotfix' - some more substantial improvements are coming in the Patch.

Also worth mentioning - we were able to fix the Gamertag overlay issue when using Photomode with the Hotfix

Apologies to those who fired specific 'has x been fixed?' q's at me since my last post, I'm not able to respond to individual cases as I don't have all the info to hand and I don't want to promise something until the Patch has cleared QA, but if you have reported an issue via the Tech Support ticket system it has been seen and logged by 4A (even if you got a generic reply). The upcoming Patch will come with detailed notes showing what was fixed.

Are you guys considering a 60fps or unlocked framerate mode on the upgraded consoles down the road? I'm curious what they would run at lower resolutions I would even take 900p on Pro personally. I'm sure X could do 1080p mid 50s fps?

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Yea that's kind of my point. It's strange one franchise is wildly popular and one is not at all and they really aim for similiar things and have similiar frustrations. I know Exodus doesn't have near the production values and presentation, but RDR2 is less than Exodus in a lot of ways as well. What I'm saying is they are both not really casual games and kind of hard to get into, but one sells like gangbusters and the other is ignored even on a gaming enthusiast site like this.
I can see you're point, but one is a good game made by a AA size studio based off of a book series from Russia, the other is one of the most expensive games ever made by the most famous game studio in history that's a sequel too one of the biggest selling games ever made. At least here in America if there was wagers two years ago nobody would ever pick metro in terms of popularity.